AVS Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 5933 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.I am brand new owner of a Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4 kit and I am experiencing a strange issue. Without any hdmi cable connected,I am hearing a lot of static noise/hissing sound/white noise. Even when I press the demo button, I can hear the voice saying "left channel, right channel, center channel, etc... like if the the voice is coming from a really old radio with a lot of interference noise. I made sure the soundbar is on the latest available firmware (3.3) and it as been reset many times. Any idea what my cause this issue? It looks like the soundbar is defective...
Have you tried without the subwoofers on? I wonder if you're experiencing wi-fi interference. I'm also a new owner and while I still have not been able to set it up the way I want, I can attest that there's really no hissing of any kind on my system, so that does sound odd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is HDCP 2.2 the elephant in the room?

So, as expressed above, new 9.2.4 owner and while I managed to get nice sound out of it, I can't seem to make the "best" configuration work

This is what Plug & Play Matching Tool recommends:

XBOX One >> TV HDMI #1 (Xbox cable)
SW 9.2.4 >> TV HDMI #2 (ARC) (Naka cable)
FireTV Stick >> SW HDMI #2 (direct connect - no cable)
TIVO >> SW HDMI #3 (old but in perfect working condition generic cable)
Oppo >> SW HDMI #4 (old but in perfect working condition premium cable)

Problem is I get no video signal this way.

I was able to get nice sound if I connect the BDP to the TV, so ARC is working.
I was able to get video via ARC connection and not great sound (somewhat surround) by plugging Fire TV on SW HDMI #3 (not on SW HDMI #2 however)
I tried swapping some cables around to see if it made a difference (it did not, although I haven't tried all combos)

Equipment Details:
TV: Panasonic 55' Plasma P55VT60 circa 2013 (3 HDMI 1.4 Inputs, 1 ARC)
Streaming Device: Amazon Fire TV Stick 2nd Generation - 2016 release (1st with Alexa integration, Dolby Audio 5.1)
Blu-ray Player: Oppo BDP-93 (HDMI 1.4, Stereo, up to 7.1ch high-resolution PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, bitstream or LPCM conversion of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio)
DVR: Tivo Roamio TCD846510 500GB circa 2013 (HDMI 1.4 at best - never seen 3D over the air, so maybe 1.2?)
Gaming: Xbox One Forza Motorsport 6 Limited Edition (2015 - HDMI 1.4)

Now, I fully understand that NONE of my devices support Dolby Atmos, but I was hoping for a partial solution via upmixing until I replace each piece. Using Oppo on the TV provided some really nice sound - way better than previous AVR (Denon AV-300, entry level 2016 or so). So this is not about not having Atmos, but just not having a usable configuration at the moment.

Any ideas on best course of action I should take? Am I limited by the content protection protocol? HMDI itself should be backwards compatible right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you tried without the subwoofers on? I wonder if you're experiencing wi-fi interference. I'm also a new owner and while I still have not been able to set it up the way I want, I can attest that there's really no hissing of any kind on my system, so that does sound odd.
Yes I did, on 2 different TVs with same result.

I finally contacted Nakamichi and they told me there is a problem with the Soundbar. However, since I bought the item though THEIR ebay store (a brand new unit, not an open box or refurbished) and that I live in Canada, they refuse to replace or repair it because I don't have an address in the USA. They say I can ship it back to them in California (I would need to pay for the shipping) but, even then, they will not ship it back to me because I live in Canada.

In other words, they sell to international buyers but don't honor their warranty if you receive a defective unit like the one I received.

I will definitely open a dispute with Ebay/Paypal to resolve this because it seriously looks like a scam.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm having exactly the same issue with Nintendo Switch.
Even just in the menu, if you go through your list of game quickly, it takes some time for the sound to even play, and then it cuts against for 2 seconds.
I don't think that's acceptable nor does it make sense to me. What I know though is that it's a deal breaker as it makes games like Jackbox completely unplayable.

Commercials and game menus are in PCM. Even my Yamaha Aventage receiver has a pause before sound plays.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So, as expressed above, new 9.2.4 owner and while I managed to get nice sound out of it, I can't seem to make the "best" configuration work

I was able to get video via ARC connection and not great sound (somewhat surround) by plugging Fire TV on SW HDMI #3 (not on SW HDMI #2 however)
I tried swapping some cables around to see if it made a difference (it did not, although I haven't tried all combos)

Equipment Details:
Streaming Device: Amazon Fire TV Stick 2nd Generation - 2016 release (1st with Alexa integration, Dolby Audio 5.1)
Blu-ray Player: Oppo BDP-93 (HDMI 1.4, Stereo, up to 7.1ch high-resolution PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, bitstream or LPCM conversion of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio)
DVR: Tivo Roamio TCD846510 500GB circa 2013 (HDMI 1.4 at best - never seen 3D over the air, so maybe 1.2?)

Now, I fully understand that NONE of my devices support Dolby Atmos, but I was hoping for a partial solution via upmixing until I replace each piece. Using Oppo on the TV provided some really nice sound - way better than previous AVR (Denon AV-300, entry level 2016 or so). So this is not about not having Atmos, but just not having a usable configuration at the moment.

Any ideas on best course of action I should take? Am I limited by the content protection protocol? HMDI itself should be backwards compatible right?
It is definitely HDCP. It is not backwards compatible which means there is no way to predict the results.
If Oppo works well connected to your Viera, I'd suggest swapping the Oppo and the Xbox. You will probably get better sound from the Xbox connecting it directly to the soundbar.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes I did, on 2 different TVs with same result.

I finally contacted Nakamichi and they told me there is a problem with the Soundbar. However, since I bought the item though THEIR ebay store (a brand new unit, not an open box or refurbished) and that I live in Canada, they refuse to replace or repair it because I don't have an address in the USA. They say I can ship it back to them in California (I would need to pay for the shipping) but, even then, they will not ship it back to me because I live in Canada.

In other words, they sell to international buyers but don't honor their warranty if you receive a defective unit like the one I received.

I will definitely open a dispute with Ebay/Paypal to resolve this because it seriously looks like a scam.
Are they refusing to fix it or refusing to ship it back to you in Canada? Two different things.

Check out the important notes section. I think they will still fix it, you just need to get a friend from the US to mail it to you
https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-soundbars-global-shipping-program

·
Registered
215 Posts
I thought naka said that going through arc will not allow you to get Dolby atoms. I know i try this setting on my old LG b8 and now that i upgraded to LG cx i decided to try it again and Dolby atoms plays no problem through Netflix built in app on LG TVs but on my b8 this doesn't work so anyone with c9 or cx might wanna give this a shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone used the Naka 9.2.4 with the TCL 8 series? It looks like a great TV and it's on a one day only price break (they've done it before though). 75in flagship for 1,800 is sweet. Main issue I can see is that it is NOT HDMI 2.1 so it may just not play nice with this soundbar?

Obviously with such big price breaks there must be something else going on market-wise, but as far as I can tell it's only on Best Buy so maybe the overbought inventory?

Help me decide whether to pull the trigger on this or not.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone used the Naka 9.2.4 with the TCL 8 series? It looks like a great TV and it's on a one day only price break (they've done it before though). 75in flagship for 1,800 is sweet. Main issue I can see is that it is NOT HDMI 2.1 so it may just not play nice with this soundbar?

Obviously with such big price breaks there must be something else going on market-wise, but as far as I can tell it's only on Best Buy so maybe the overbought inventory?

Help me decide whether to pull the trigger on this or not.
Was gonna get this same tv but blacks being crushed still exists. Think black screen in dark scenes in stranger things

·
Registered
200 Posts
i saw that option and wasn't sure what it did. that's awesome if it works. unfortunately i'm unable to test it because now i can't get the CEC power sync option to work. my Naka isn't turning on with my TV. although when i turn my TV off it does turn the Naka off. and then it immediately turns on again. man CEC is a pain in the ass.

i hope the User Manual gets updated soon. lots of new features (including new remote) to document. the better the documentation is, the less you have to deal with morons like me spamming support and forums!
This is what my nak does with my Le Eco tv too when I turn the nak cec-opt off. It stops nak from changing inputs, but bar does not turn on with tv only off. I have a sideclick for my roku to power the bar on (annoying but better than alternative).

·
Registered
24 Posts

Equipment Details:

I have XB1X > Nak 9.2 > Vizio. My video sucked until I upgraded to a higher quality HDMI 2.0 cable. If not already, you need the Dolby Atmos app to get DA. Keep in mind Netflix has not yet gotten XB DA to work yet, but other apps don't seem to have a problem. Everything on my end is great except i get ****ty bass which im convinced is suppressed through the xbox for some reason.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Xbox 1X + Vizio. I also noticed a burning electrical smell coming from the unit and then the sound went off. Touched the soundbar - it was hot as hell to the left of the middle logo. Had to unplug unit for 5 mins to let it cool down, then plugged back in. Seems defective.

In that case you need to talk to Naka rep. You can drop them an email. They r usually responsive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is anyone still facing the repeated washing machine noise. I am getting this while playing Netflix or Disney app in the fire tv 4K stick. It had disappeared for a while but has relapsed last few weeks. I am on the 3.2 firmware for the 9.2.4 2018

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is anyone still facing the repeated washing machine noise. I am getting this while playing Netflix or Disney app in the fire tv 4K stick. It had disappeared for a while but has relapsed last few weeks. I am on the 3.2 firmware for the 9.2.4 2018

Yeah I get it every now and then, mainly when switching from DTS to Dolby or vice versa. I've just learned to live with it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah I get it every now and then, mainly when switching from DTS to Dolby or vice versa. I've just learned to live with it.

Is 3.2 firmware the latest for the 9.2.4 2018 model. I see a 3.3 for the 2019 model . Not sure if I need to upgrade the firmware

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just received and installed my 7.2.4.
I appear to have popping, static, and crackling with my rear surrounds.

Configuring this system is confusing as the instructions for the remote us unclear.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have just received and installed my 7.2.4.
I appear to have popping, static, and crackling with my rear surrounds.

Configuring this system is confusing as the instructions for the remote us unclear.

Any help would be appreciated.

What TV and devices do you own? How are they connected? Brand of router?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Well my finger is hovering over buying a new soundbar setup, but need a little info. Would be replacing a Samsung HW-K950. Primary reason for considering it is because of the processing, not audio quality.

I use streaming all the time now and the live streamers are all mostly stereo audio only with one exception. Will the 7.2.4 or 9.2.4 fake Atmos/Surround from that source?

And if so, is it on a per-input basis. IOW, if I set it to do so on one input, can I have a different setting on another input?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update to post #5842

TL;DR:
* Zeskit 8K cable seems to work just fine for half the price.
* When it comes to choosing my next Media Stream Device among Apple TV 4K, nVidia Shield Pro, Tivo Stream and Fire Cube TV 4K - should I choose one or get them all?

I purchased a $20 8K HDMI cable by Zeskit https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1CGQ9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1; and it shows video from my old Fire TV stick and from my Bluray player. When switching, I get a white noise image for a few seconds but other than that things work. It is a much nicer looking cable, with some heft to it.

I also purchased the Belkin cable as a fallback in case the Zeskit didn't work and while it is nice quality, it definitely doesn't look like anything different than any other HDMI cable - very bland.

Next item I got is a Fire Cube 4K T hoping to get Atmos sound. The setup for the Cube was truly a breeze and I love that it learned to control the entire setup by voice, but to my dismay, it cannot reproduce Atmos unless the TV itself is Atmos compatible. I managed to get 5.1 upmixed but at first it sounded worse than my old FireTV Stick (HD, non 4K). I guess each HDMI input has its own settings? The fix was to select Movie on the Naka and now it sounds lovely. The speed of the cube over the old stick is like a rocket next to a Yugo. Also (and this is well documented but, me being me, had never read before), Netflix cannot reproduce Atmos on FireTVs, so only Amazon Prime Video would benefit in any case.

Trying to be smart, I got an HDMI switch by ROOFULL https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CF793HQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, which promises to allow 4K signal into 1080 output and while it feels solid as a switch and it worked flawlessly, still didn't manage to get Atmos from the Fire TV (I was hoping the switch would fool the cube into thinking the output can handle 4K video). As it doesn't do the trick, it's going back.

So... after all this, I'm thinking about returning the Cube as well, but since I got it via trade in for 20% off (basically I have to send my old stick before end of June), it may be worth it to keep it just as the preferred Prime video player. Don't really know yet.

So the question at this point is: should I buy Nvidia Shield Pro or the Apple TV 4K? (Leaning Apple). What about the new Tivo Stream 4K? It looks interesting (it's content centric rather than service centric, so it searches across all platforms) but being a stick I fear it won't have the processing umpf.
Or should I just buy them all? I'd rather not....

Thanks for your thoughts.

5841 - 5860 of 5933 Posts