AVS Forum banner

5881 - 5900 of 5934 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Set up my system just like the above. Only weird thing is that I have the hdmi going from my arc input on my sound bar to the arc input on my tv which is hdmi 1. Now when I click Arc on the nakamichi remote, it doesnt detect any video or sound. But when I switch to hdmi 4 on the nakamichi remote, I receive audio and video. Everything looks good though and when I hit info it says Dolby on the sound bar. Just thought this was weird because I don’t have anything plugged into hdmi 4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Disregard my last comment. Looks like my lg ubk90 is connect to the sound bar through port 4. Still confused what the point of the Arc input is on the remote then.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Disregard my last comment. Looks like my lg ubk90 is connect to the sound bar through port 4. Still confused what the point of the Arc input is on the remote then.
You have to be on the ARC input on the Naka to access and change some settings, I think.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When I stream apps off the TV the soundbar uses the ARC port. Soundbar HDMI 2 is what the TV box is plugged into. Soundbar HDMI 3 is the BD player. The TV'S CEC is pretty good at switching everything to the right stuff, so I really don't need to touch the naka remote very often.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I got my 7.1.4 a few days ago. Love the sound field but would give the Samsung better marks for Atmos sources. Otherwise this is better.

Two issues.
1. HDMI-CEC - I wanted to use the discrete remotes for my 6 devices, tv and soundbar. And when I first set everything up it all seemed to do the proper switching and such but over time that has gotten twitchy. Even did the hard HDMI reset which helped a bit.

The issue is with the devices connected to the TV that feed audio back via ARC. Oft times when selecting one it just doesn’t switch everything to the proper ports.

2. Using the Direct to have all speaker in actions regardless of source audio works but after a power down at night the next day it isn’t the way I left it.

I’ve figured out the juggling of remotes pretty well and since it is just me here, it isn’t as big a deal as it could be. But I’m tempted to just leave HDMI-CEC on for the TV and soundbar and programming my Harmony Elite to do all the rest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got my 7.1.4 a few days ago. Love the sound field but would give the Samsung better marks for Atmos sources. Otherwise this is better.

Two issues.
1. HDMI-CEC - I wanted to use the discrete remotes for my 6 devices, tv and soundbar. And when I first set everything up it all seemed to do the proper switching and such but over time that has gotten twitchy. Even did the hard HDMI reset which helped a bit.

The issue is with the devices connected to the TV that feed audio back via ARC. Oft times when selecting one it just doesn’t switch everything to the proper ports.

2. Using the Direct to have all speaker in actions regardless of source audio works but after a power down at night the next day it isn’t the way I left it.

I’ve figured out the juggling of remotes pretty well and since it is just me here, it isn’t as big a deal as it could be. But I’m tempted to just leave HDMI-CEC on for the TV and soundbar and programming my Harmony Elite to do all the rest.
Set sse3 for better atmos effect

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm very confused as to when to set Dolby Upmix and Dolby Surround.

I have a TCL Roku TV and the Netflix app doesn't show Dolby Atmos on the shows. Only shows 5.1 so should I set it to Upmix or Surround?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Set sse3 for better atmos effect

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Already set that way, in fact it came with that set as default. The way it works is fine with me, but no manner of signal twiddling can replace actual upfiring speakers.

I’ve found another not big issue. When I tell my Google Home device to do something the soundbar mutes. Haven’t figured out why as the soundbar doesn’t show up in my Google Home app.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm very confused as to when to set Dolby Upmix and Dolby Surround.

I have a TCL Roku TV and the Netflix app doesn't show Dolby Atmos on the shows. Only shows 5.1 so should I set it to Upmix or Surround?

Netflix on Roku doesn’t do Dolby Atmos. As to which to pick, try both and see which you like better. That’s what I’ve done.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Well I have to say that HDMI-CEC is still the mess it always has been! Sony TV, Naka, and various streaming boxes. If I do a hard HDMI reset it all works fine just long enough to make me think it will keep working well, but alas, it is not to be! Switches this, won’t switch that, audio works or not, all very Willy-nilly!

So I said to heck with this mess. Naka support said that if I just had CEC on for the TV and soundbar that ARC would work fine and things should be good. Well, no it isn’t. The only thing that worked was to kill off HDMI-CEC and go back to using my Harmony.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well I have to say that HDMI-CEC is still the mess it always has been! Sony TV, Naka, and various streaming boxes. If I do a hard HDMI reset it all works fine just long enough to make me think it will keep working well, but alas, it is not to be! Switches this, won’t switch that, audio works or not, all very Willy-nilly!

So I said to heck with this mess. Naka support said that if I just had CEC on for the TV and soundbar that ARC would work fine and things should be good. Well, no it isn’t. The only thing that worked was to kill off HDMI-CEC and go back to using my Harmony.
I gave up on CEC long ago. Turned it off on everything and let my Harmony handle it all. It does a much better job.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I gave up on CEC long ago. Turned it off on everything and let my Harmony handle it all. It does a much better job.

I think the problem in my case is that I have too many devices and I fiddle with them out of boredom way too much and it just confuses the non-standardized HDMI-CEC crap!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think the problem in my case is that I have too many devices and I fiddle with them out of boredom way too much and it just confuses the non-standardized HDMI-CEC crap!
Lol same here! I figured out that every time I changed some device connections, Nakamichi was going crazy. So I've just stopped mucking around and things seem to be working ok ...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Lol same here! I figured out that every time I changed some device connections, Nakamichi was going crazy. So I've just stopped mucking around and things seem to be working ok ...

Well I’m not quite finished mucking around! :)

Killing off ARC results in a quicker boot cycle as things are brought up and switched using the Harmony. But I have to use optical for the devices that are connected to the TV directly and that’s just not going to cut it. Optical only passes up to DD5.1 and the devices are putting out DD+ which is better. So...

Turned on HDMI-CEC in Sony TV and Naka. Where possible didn’t turn on the power on/off, ‘tuning keys’, whatever that is, also not turned on in TV. Using the Harmony everything comes up properly and switched to the proper inputs eventually. Lots of switching indications as the Harmony’s commands and HDMI-CEC crap argues with each other, but it does get it right in the end.

IMO, it seems the Naka, even with HDMI-CEC off is a bit slow at switching, not a big deal just makes things interesting. All in all it seems everything is working the way I want it to even if it does take a little HDMI dancing to finally end up with things set right. The problem is that HDMI-CEC isn’t really a standard in the sense other specs are. Each mfg implements it in slightly different ways it seems. And that’s the problem with it, should have been made a standard that brings consistency to the very loose spec IMO.

Reactions: In The Bay

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
It may decode Atmos, and virtualize it, but it does not have up-firing speakers. The next generation of this soundbar will undoubtedly have it, but my question is, when?

5881 - 5900 of 5934 Posts