AVS Forum banner

5901 - 5920 of 5939 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
It may decode Atmos, and virtualize it, but it does not have up-firing speakers. The next generation of this soundbar will undoubtedly have it, but my question is, when?
Nakamichi hasn't published any info on a new soundbar. We may hear something next year during ces. Even with the virtualization it's a great sounding product.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Question.....just replaced Vizio M-50 with LG C9. Whenever I turn everything back on, Naka resets to Stereo On. I have to manually change back to Stereo Off and Surround On. Never had that problem before. Same connections....Hdmi ARC from TV to Naka, all other connections HDMI to Naka. Only difference that I can tell is Vizio was ARC, LG is eARC

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I'm certainly not knocking the Nakamichi.

I was one of the early proponents of this soundbar, and also an enthusiast about psycho acoustics. In fact I opined that the Nakamichi with its abundance of drivers spread throughout the room would probably do a much better job of virtualizing object based systems, like DTS X. With more physical drivers actually employed you draw a finer grid, which would help the psycho acoustics do its phantom thing. It's the difference between stereo speakers too far apart, and those closer together. Obviously you get the best phantom effect with the latter.

So my question to owners with SSE employed, does it equal the effects of ceiling mounted or reflecting speakers? Do you get a palpable sense of over-the-head sounds specifically placed?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'm certainly not knocking the Nakamichi.

I was one of the early proponents of this soundbar, and also an enthusiast about psycho acoustics. In fact I opined that the Nakamichi with its abundance of drivers spread throughout the room would probably do a much better job of virtualizing object based systems, like DTS X. With more physical drivers actually employed you draw a finer grid, which would help the psycho acoustics do its phantom thing. It's the difference between stereo speakers too far apart, and those closer together. Obviously you get the best phantom effect with the latter.

So my question to owners with SSE employed, does it equal the effects of ceiling mounted or reflecting speakers? Do you get a palpable sense of over-the-head sounds specifically placed?
Is it as good? No. Do you hear things overhead? Yes. Is it awesome? Yes.

Reactions: lparsons21

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I want this system so bad here in Japan, but they don’t sell it here and shipping is killer.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Is it as good? No. Do you hear things overhead? Yes. Is it awesome? Yes.

That’s essentially what I told Nakamichi on a call with them. I had a Samsung HW-K950 soundbar setup and for Atmos effects it is better than the Nakamichi because of the 4 upfiring speakers. But the Nakamichi is overall a better soundfield IMO. And since Atmos just isn’t there for the majority of what I watch it isn’t an issue and the virtualized Atmos that Nakamichi does is more than good enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone have problems with the sound suddenly cutting out? I've had the 9.2.4 for 6 months and everything was good until the last week where while watching YouTube on my TCL 6 series Roku the soundbar will suddenly have no sound when the next YouTube video plays. I have to reboot the soundbar to get it to work again.

Now I know the new Roku 9.3 update have some issues but I'm thinking it might just be the soundbar.

Anyone experience this or can offer a solution?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want this system so bad here in Japan, but they don’️t sell it here and shipping is killer.
I had my eyes on the 9.2.4 for a long time but they don't sell nakamichi in Canada but when it was on sale for $999 on Amazon during black Friday I pulled the trigger and had them send it to me in Canada. The shipping and import tax wasn't much. 1 week after that Nakamichi changed their policy to only sell domestically. I was so lucky because it exceeded my expectations.

The only way to get it now if you're outside the States is from nakamichi through eBay and they charge a lot more there than they do on amazon just for the soundbar alone.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I still look forward to a Nakamichi with up firing speakers. And I think it would do an even better job with psycho acoustics, such as SSE.

Some say that real Atmos, or DTS X (which is far more flexible with speaker arrangement) isn't important, because not all movies are encoded for it. But that's where the virtue of psycho acoustics would lie. In the same way that simulated surround sound utilizes the ambient "surround" spatial information that is actually present in stereo, so too is height information present even in non-encoded discs.

The addition of up firing speakers in the Nakamichi, with its broad grid of speakers in the room, would really aid in the simulation of the 360° soundfield even in so-called non-Atmos or non-DTS X material.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anyone have problems with the sound suddenly cutting out? I've had the 9.2.4 for 6 months and everything was good until the last week where while watching YouTube on my TCL 6 series Roku the soundbar will suddenly have no sound when the next YouTube video plays. I have to reboot the soundbar to get it to work again.

Now I know the new Roku 9.3 update have some issues but I'm thinking it might just be the soundbar.

Anyone experience this or can offer a solution?
What is your roku set in the audio settings. When mine was on auto it would randomly not play sound. Set it to the dolby digial+/dts and worked fine with roku 9.3. Roku messed up some stuff in 9.3 i have audio delay of about 40ms that I had to override on nak that did not have to before.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue but lately the sound has intermittently become muffled like static/distortion. Particularly with dialog. A quick cycle through Native/Upmix/Surround fixes it, I’m just concerned it might be a precursor of a more serious issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue but lately the sound has intermittently become muffled like static/distortion. Particularly with dialog. A quick cycle through Native/Upmix/Surround fixes it, I’m just concerned it might be a precursor of a more serious issue.
Have you tried doing a soft reset of the soundbar? What content are you playing and which media device is it coming from?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’ve tried both a soft and hard reset. Not sure the hard reset took, strangely. Xbox One and Firestick, various apps. Problem usually starts with some garbled/distorted dialogue from the rears and then the center (7.2 system). Cycling through the native, upmix, etc fixes it.
I also tried changing the 5G channel on the wifi but no difference.
May try another hard reset to see if it’ll take.
Hoping it’s not something more serious and just an odd foible like having to change inputs and back to get audio on Plex (only on the content not the menus and only on the Xbox One app, oddly).
It also has the odd habit of always switching from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3 (Firestick) whenever I choose Xbox One (HDMI 2) no matter how many times I reprogram my Harmony remote.
Not dealbreakers or anything, everything else is great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve tried both a soft and hard reset. Not sure the hard reset took, strangely. Xbox One and Firestick, various apps. Problem usually starts with some garbled/distorted dialogue from the rears and then the center (7.2 system). Cycling through the native, upmix, etc fixes it.
I also tried changing the 5G channel on the wifi but no difference.
May try another hard reset to see if it’ll take.
Hoping it’s not something more serious and just an odd foible like having to change inputs and back to get audio on Plex (only on the content not the menus and only on the Xbox One app, oddly).
It also has the odd habit of always switching from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3 (Firestick) whenever I choose Xbox One (HDMI 2) no matter how many times I reprogram my Harmony remote.
Are you mainly experiencing the issues on Plex? Or other apps as well? At least for Xbox, there's been quite a lot of users experiencing audio cut outs especially with Plex.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/xbox-one-audio-cutting-out/352644
https://forums.plex.tv/t/xbox-one-x-plex-app-surround-sound-cutting-in-and-out-all-audio-formats/238954
https://forums.plex.tv/t/dolby-atmos-sound-cutting-out/225641

You might want to turn off CEC-OTP (one touch play) to prevent auto-switching between HDMI sources.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a lg c9 and a nakamichi shockwafe ultra 9.2ch dts. I was wondering do you guys have the Xbox connected via hdmi 2.1 port directly from the TV or do you have it connected to the Nakamichi Soundbar.

If I connect it directly to the TV I get VRR and allm. I also get all the sound as dolby atmos dd plus

If I connect it to the soundbar I get dolby atmos mat but I lose the VRR and allm features.

What do you recommend I do for my setup?

Would the results be the same when the Xbox Series X console is released?

Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
[
Are you mainly experiencing the issues on Plex? Or other apps as well? At least for Xbox, there's been quite a lot of users experiencing audio cut outs especially with Plex.

You might want to turn off CEC-OTP (one touch play) to prevent auto-switching between HDMI sources.
Netflix is the main culprit (as we watch that disproportionately more than others) but some other apps too. If it happens, it’s usually after a decent amount of time of watching something.
I’ll try the OTP suggestion, thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’ll try the OTP suggestion, thanks.
Unfortunately, turning off CEC means I can’t control the Firestick with the Harmony. Hopefully, turning off the power sync on the LGTV but leaving the CEC will help somehow.
I’ve done a hard reset (again), not sure whether it took but hoping that fixes some/any other issues.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Unfortunately, turning off CEC means I can’t control the Firestick with the Harmony. Hopefully, turning off the power sync on the LGTV but leaving the CEC will help somehow.
I’ve done a hard reset (again), not sure whether it took but hoping that fixes some/any other issues.

I’ve got a Sony TV and 6 boxes of one sort or another. Got HDMI-CEC on for TV and Naka so I can use ARC. Makes for an interesting power up when I turn things on with the Harmony, most often just power up and then changing which box a couple times for it to all settle down to where it is supposed to be.

IMO, HDMI-CEC is just a royal PITA when you have lots of devices. I say that because in my bedroom with a Samsung TV, Samsung soundbar and AppleTV all just comes up as it should with no twiddling.

5901 - 5920 of 5939 Posts