AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nixeus, a Los Angeles based startup, will be introducing their Nixeus Fusion XS product shortly. There is already a Fusion XS board in their own forums.


Let us use this thread to discuss the player, its platform and exchange tips and tricks after the product comes to the market.


I will update this post as and when info becomes available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
When I saw the Fusion XS thread on their forums and asked them questions about it... they told me it will be a new media player that is part of their "Fusion Series" of media players designed to work with the current Fusion HD?... When I questioned them for more information they replied that more information will be released by the press in the month of March... so when I saw this thread I was hoping you might have received and posted some information?...



Marvell ARMADA 1000 (88DE3010) Dual Sheeva Cores @ 900MHz (Dual Core Processor)

Android Froyo 2.2 Operating System

512MB DDR2 RAM

1GB NAND Flash


Movie Cover Art is created and provided by 3rd Party Software Yet Another Movie Jukebox (YAMJ) & Movie Flow

UPDATE EDIT 1-6-2012:

Confirmed Features with YouTube videos showing the Fusion XS in action



Nixeus Fusion XS (NX-500) Promotion Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l3luKIKYns


Nixeus Fusion XS (NX-500): Marvell's Qdeo Video Processing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I1pl9YpDMM


Nixeus Fusion XS (NX-500): Installing Android Apps & Internet TV (From Asia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jmSS81W4r0


The Fusion Experience - 3rd Party Applications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBM9ixGul9g


The Fusion Experience - Streaming Online Content
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppv2V4rynYg


The Fusion Experience - USA & Other Region Online Channels/Shows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9-pYEdq0Zw



Video showing Hi10 playback and subtitle support:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dDLZtJbng
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20100639


When I saw the Fusion XS thread on their forums and asked them questions about it... they told me it will be a new media player that is part of their "Fusion Series" of media players designed to work with the current Fusion HD?... When I questioned them for more information they replied that more information will be released by the press in the month of March... so when I saw this thread I was hoping you might have received and posted some information?...

Well, I do have information
but it is under NDA right now. Probably next week or so, I can make public what I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Nice detailed analysis!


Regarding the dual core Marvell chipset... do each core run at 900MHz or 1.2GHz?


I know the Sigma 8655 has one cpu running at 500MHz and the second run at 333MHz...


Since it is using Android 2.2... do you know if we can install apps or use an android phone to control it like a remote?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20138433


Nice detailed analysis!


Regarding the dual core Marvell chipset... do each core run at 900MHz or 1.2GHz?


I know the Sigma 8655 has one cpu running at 500MHz and the second run at 333MHz...


Since it is using Android 2.2... do you know if we can install apps or use an android phone to control it like a remote?

Yes, each of the cores run at 900 MHz. However, on a per-clock basis, the MIPS CPUs in Sigma 8656 are slightly more efficient than the cores in the 88DE3010. However, because of higher clock rate in 88DE3010, the general performance is expected to be better on it.


I think there will be options to install apps, but that info and the remote etc. will be known only closer to launch time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
It is interesting that Nixeus chose to let a third party release this info , rather than issue a official press release with detailed specs etc themselves?


Sounds a bit like Vaporware at this stage - we shall see.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddystacker /forum/post/20140593


It is interesting that Nixeus chose to let a third party release this info , rather than issue a official press release with detailed specs etc themselves?


Sounds a bit like Vaporware at this stage - we shall see.....

Anandtech is a very reliable web site... From reading their articles in the past they have been very analytical, non-bias, and research their facts - even better than Toms Hardware in my opinion... just from their information alone regarding the Marvell Chipset features/functions they must have verified it with a Marvell representative about whom will be releasing media players or media adapters because I couldn't obtain that information just from Marvell's website...


They even have their own new Media Player test suite now that provide concrete facts/benchmarks to compare - that leads me to believe more media player reviews are coming...


I am very interested to see how current and new media players stack up on the media test suite - other than basing it on what other reviewers and media player owners are saying because information can be conflicting sometimes due to user preference/error.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddystacker /forum/post/20140593


It is interesting that Nixeus chose to let a third party release this info, rather than issue a official press release with detailed specs etc themselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20141134


Anandtech is a very reliable web site...

Anandtech's reliability, expertise and thorough research goes without saying.


But still, why we haven't heard any of this from the horse's mouth? I suspect it is because it allows Nixeus to remain uncommitted. They can gage the market, and kill the project if all doesn't go well. With an all new architecture, it is a risky project, and I suspect there is not yet much code behind those screen-shots. It may mean that it will be some time before we hear an official announcement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss /forum/post/20141497


But still, why we haven't heard any of this from the horse's mouth? I suspect it is because it allows Nixeus to remain uncommitted. They can gage the market, and kill the project if all doesn't go well. With an all new architecture, it is a risky project, and I suspect there is not yet much code behind those screen-shots. It may mean that it will be some time before we hear an official announcement.

The official PR will come before the end of March (It has already been approved by Marvell also). It is just that AnandTech requested an exclusive on the launch (because we have been providing Nixeus feedback on what should be improved in Fusion XS and what features we think the market wants). I am also in touch with Marvell PR, and I know the project is definitely on



Just to give an indicator of how AnandTech operates (at least with respect to media streamer products), we have actually had the Fusion HD review sample since December 2010. Whenever we finish up a review, we give a preview link to the manufacturer to see whether they have any responses / bug fixes in the pipeline to resolve our issues. When Nixeus promised HD audio passthrough, I was not quite happy that it wasn't available from MKV container. There was no support for chapters or PGS subtitles in MKVs. I indicated these issues (amongst a host of others) to them, and they asked me to put the review on hold till these were resolve implemented.


Basically, AnandTech aims to make the product better for the consumer as well as the manufacturer. Only in very extreme cases do we actually put out a majorly negative review (when we know for sure that the item's firmware development is EOL or almost EOL, like the TViX Slim S1).


In the course of giving feedback about Fusion HD, I got to know about their plans for Fusion XS. For the last 2 - 3 months, I have been given frequent updates as to the status of the Fusion XS project.


Anyways, we do have official confirmation of the product on the Nixeus forums:

http://www.nixeus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=203


The important thing to remember about media streamer products is that there is nothing which can fit all your criteria by giving all the flexibilities of a HTPC. It is a give and take policy. Knowing the limitations of the chipset and the maturity of its SDK will give you an idea of how much can be achieved with it. As I have mentioned countless times before, always read unbiased reviews and forum posts before purchasing the unit. All media players have shortcomings, and in our reviews at least, we make it a point to list them all.


PS: Let me also give a plug to another tangentially related thread I created yesterday, in case it skipped your notice: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1321163 ;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Well said Mark , using a "third party" saves egg blowing up on their face if they later decide to not comit to production.


There was a key phrase on Nixeus forum a few months ago "The Fusion XS is a new media player we may be releasing in 2011"."MAY" being the word of interest here.


Using Anandtech as their mouth piece is indeed a interesting strategy , But I do agree that has a good amount of expertise in the media player area.Its a similar thing that Popcorn have done in the past with MPC Club.


As I said , we shall see , it will be interesting to look back on this thread in a few months..


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss /forum/post/20141497


Anandtech's reliability, expertise and thorough research goes without saying.


But still, why we haven't heard any of this from the horse's mouth? I suspect it is because it allows Nixeus to remain uncommitted. They can gage the market, and kill the project if all doesn't go well. With an all new architecture, it is a risky project, and I suspect there is not yet much code behind those screen-shots. It may mean that it will be some time before we hear an official announcement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/20141772


When Nixeus promised HD audio passthrough, I was not quite happy that it wasn't available from MKV container. There was no support for chapters or PGS subtitles in MKVs. I indicated these issues (amongst a host of others) to them, and they asked me to put the review on hold till these were resolve implemented.

Its interesting that I and a few other people suggested all of these (and Delete over network , seamless Branch .iso play etc etc) to Nixeus a few months prior to you doing so.. Hopefully they will listen to you more than they did to us.. Again time will tell...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddystacker /forum/post/20142645


Well said Mark , using a "third party" saves egg blowing up on their face if they later decide to not comit to production.


There was a key phrase on Nixeus forum a few months ago "The Fusion XS is a new media player we may be releasing in 2011"."MAY" being the word of interest here.


Using Anandtech as their mouth piece is indeed a interesting strategy , But I do agree that has a good amount of expertise in the media player area.Its a similar thing that Popcorn have done in the past with MPC Club.


As I said , we shall see , it will be interesting to look back on this thread in a few months..

As stated by Jakmal - AnandTech asked to write and release their analysis before Nixeus issues their press release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddystacker /forum/post/20142653


Its interesting that I and a few other people suggested all of these (and Delete over network , seamless Branch .iso play etc etc) to Nixeus a few months prior to you doing so.. Hopefully they will listen to you more than they did to us.. Again time will tell...


At least with this announcement by AnandTech we now know where most of their engineering resources went. I know Android OS needs at least 4 millions lines of code (don't know how long that takes - I'm a finance guy).


Speculating from what Jakmal stated above when he found out about the Fusion XS and the frequency of Fusion HD firmware with major features slowed down - I'm thinking maybe in October 2010 or Nov 2010 was when they started working on the Fusion XS... so maybe because it's not they weren't listening to you (Teddy) and some of our requests - maybe their top engineers were just too busy with the Fusion XS. Obviously blu-ray branching must have took too long because Ganesh released his review on the Fusion HD before it was completed... But they did managed to release a few firmwares including the recent Feb. 26 with the Anime subtitle fix! (There must have been a lot of Anime fans asking for it including myself!)


Obviously... we will see how these next few months turn out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
I see Nixeus posted that the Fusion XS will be using the Google Chrome browser that supports HTML5 and and Flash 10.1... I'm wondering if that will allow for watching streaming video sites like Hulu, Discovery Channel, etc. (Unless they block them out too?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20144529


... so maybe because it's not they weren't listening to you (Teddy) and some of our requests - maybe their top engineers were just too busy with the Fusion XS. Obviously blu-ray branching must have took too long because Ganesh released his review on the Fusion HD before it was completed... But they did managed to release a few firmwares including the recent Feb. 26 with the Anime subtitle fix! (There must have been a lot of Anime fans asking for it including myself!)


Obviously... we will see how these next few months turn out...

For Fusion HD, it is just a matter of priorities and standing out from the competition. As I mentioned in the original Fusion HD thread, your price needs to tally with the cost. The warranty and the bundled wireless-N and US support do not matter much to the end user if it doesn't deliver the features one wants. Why hype up those features and support the player initiailly?


In this context, the only fault that I can see with the Fusion HD is the user interface. Compare this with other 8654 / 8655 based platforms. How many of them have seamless Blu-Ray branching? How many have HD audio from MKV which is fast becoming one of the standard way to back up Blu-Rays after ISO format.


If you look at WDTV Live (same 8655), has there been any change in core functionality since launch (They are yet to do DTS-HD audio passthrough from M2TS / any HD audio from MKV)? It is all a matter of perspective. I repeat what I stated in my review, the Fusion HD is the best 8655 based player when you discount the user interface.


Also, never buy a media player till it does all you want. Don't expect firmware updates (if you get them, it is a bonus). Nixeus states it is still working on updates for PGS subtitles (which is the most required feature after HD audio in MKV) amongst other things. If those updates come through, it would be nice. If it doesn't, well, you already know the limiatations after reading the review. Hopefully, the player wasn't purchased if that feature was very important to the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20144793


I see Nixeus posted that the Fusion XS will be using the Google Chrome browser that supports HTML5 and and Flash 10.1... I'm wondering if that will allow for watching streaming video sites like Hulu, Discovery Channel, etc. (Unless they block them out too?)

I don't think there is much hope. Yes, Flash 10.1 is there. But, this would just be like any other Android 2.2 device (can you watch Hulu on your tablet or smartphone running Android? Unlikely...);
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal
In this context, the only fault that I can see with the Fusion HD is the user interface. Compare this with other 8654 / 8655 based platforms. How many of them have seamless Blu-Ray branching? How many have HD audio from MKV which is fast becoming one of the standard way to back up Blu-Rays after ISO format.
That was the whole point of what I tried to stress to Nixeus , but alas it fell on deaf ears.ie Give your player features that other players do not have , and it **MAY** be more likley to sway buyers your way (as they like that particular feature) , but I dont think they could see this.. It also would make Nixeus a bit of a "Leader" by the fact it had features others players did not have..


Take the "sort by date" feature for instance , this is a feature I totally suggested from the get go when I was beta testing the Nixeus a year ago.. I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) this feature is found on any other player? , well at the time it was not anyway..


I explain the concept to Nixeus a few times , but to this day I dont think they got it fully , if they were a user they would have...


Many people download stuff to a single directory , with most players, you HAVE to know the exact title of the file to be able to find it in the players file browser (which usually sorts alphabetical and has 100's of files in it) - a "sort by date" feature , allows the newly downloaded file to pop right to the top of the file browser - dead easy! , a truly great feature!


I don't think Nixeus ever saw the value of this , as they never totally developed the feature , as it is at this time (latest firmware) the Nixeus does not sort folders by date , hence if the file you want is in a folder you have to use the "old" (know the file/folder name) method to find it.Would be very simple for their programmers todo if they were bothered I am sure..


With Branching , I am pretty sure the PCH A200 plays these ok , at least it does not crash like the Fusion does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal
I don't think there is much hope. Yes, Flash 10.1 is there. But, this would just be like any other Android 2.2 device (can you watch Hulu on your tablet or smartphone running Android? Unlikely...);
Hulu is blocked on Android Tablets too? On 2.2 Froyo, 2.3, and even on 3.0? I don't have access to all the toys you do Ganesh... please elaborate?

I was under the impression it was only blocked on GoogleTV and Boxee Box by D-Link...


Since it is using Android 2.2 I'm also wondering if they would open it up to Android developers....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddystacker
Take the "sort by date" feature for instance , this is a feature I totally suggested from the get go when I was beta testing the Nixeus a year ago.. I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) this feature is found on any other player? , well at the time it was not anyway..


I explain the concept to Nixeus a few times , but to this day I dont think they got it fully , if they were a user they would have...


Many people download stuff to a single directory , with most players, you HAVE to know the exact title of the file to be able to find it in the players file browser (which usually sorts alphabetical and has 100's of files in it) - a "sort by date" feature , allows the newly downloaded file to pop right to the top of the file browser - dead easy! , a truly great feature!


I don't think Nixeus ever saw the value of this , as they never totally developed the feature , as it is at this time (latest firmware) the Nixeus does not sort folders by date , hence if the file you want is in a folder you have to use the "old" (know the file/folder name) method to find it.Would be very simple for their programmers todo if they were bothered I am sure..
I just checked my Fusion HD and they have a "sort by modified" and when i selected it lists media files by newest download (newest added or newest modified folder/file)... the newest file pops up at the top of the menu browser - is that the same thing as your sort by date feature you've been requesting?


Anyhow I'm not going to talk any more about the Fusion HD on this thread (Out of respect to other forum memebers and respect for Jakmal for starting this thread - don't want it de-railed or deleted....I'll keep Fusion HD stuff on the Fusion HD thread)...


I'm on this thread to learn more about the Fusion XS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster
Hulu is blocked on Android Tablets too? On 2.2 Froyo, 2.3, and even on 3.0? I don't have access to all the toys you do Ganesh... please elaborate?

I was under the impression it was only blocked on GoogleTV and Boxee Box by D-Link...


Since it is using Android 2.2 I'm also wondering if they would open it up to Android developers....
Unfortunately, I don't have any Android tablets / smartphones capable of Flash to confirm this. My educated guess is that it is not accessible. I have asked some of my colleagues at AnandTech to look into this in particular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster
I just checked my Fusion HD and they have a "sort by modified" and when i selected it lists media files by newest download (newest added or newest modified folder/file)... the newest file pops up at the top of the menu browser - is that the same thing as your sort by date feature you've been requesting?


Anyhow I'm not going to talk any more about the Fusion HD on this thread (Out of respect to other forum memebers and respect for Jakmal for starting this thread - don't want it de-railed or deleted....I'll keep Fusion HD stuff on the Fusion HD thread)...


I'm on this thread to learn more about the Fusion XS.
Yes of course its the feature!! , and its actually "sort by date" on the actual menu , and on the latest f/w it does NOT sort the folders by date (just single files) , just as I said in my post above "its only half developed" , ie it was in there but not fully complete.


As you say , the thread got a bit of track , this stuff is getting a bit like "thrashing a dead horse" though , as no one really listens anyway...


I give up....


As you both know I have been involved with the media player scene from pretty much the start , but this is getting way too frustrating , I think its time to donate my Nixeus to a worthy cause and take a step back and leave you to it...
 
1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Top