AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 5374 Posts

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
OK, I've got Emby and Kodi on my Shield. I've programmed my URC remote by learning all the codes from a Harmony. I can watch live TV with ServerWMC in Emby and a crappy version of live TV with the HDHomeRun View app. What I cannot get working correctly is TV in Kodi.

I get the ServerWMC add-on setup with the IP address and enable it then when I go to the TV settings to enable it I get an error. Then ServerWMC add-on is disabled again and I'm back in the same loop.

What is the best way to get live TV and DVR on this thing? Also replaced my Ceton with a HDHomeRun Prime yesterday to give more options. I can create any VMs on my server for testing as well and have my fallback WMC HTPC running with ServerWMC.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Since I don't have a reddit login, I'm going to comment on this here, but a guy on the Reddit Android TV thread has screen shots of DTS passthrough working on Kodi and verified with his Onkyo AVR (which is what I have). It's still not DTS-MA bitstreaming, but at least core DTS is being pass through. I might be able to live with this until they can hopefully come up with a codec pack. Can anyone else here verify this?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
@bryansj

That is an annoying and stupid thing kodi does with live TV

You have to configure the serverwmc add-on (disabled). Switch to the confluence skin. Then go enable live TV. Then you'll get the stupid error again (TV enabled with no PVR addons enabled) but this time it should take you the list of PVR addons. Then choose and enable serverwmc

It's dumb

If it won't take you to the list of addons then go to shield settings, apps, kodi, clear data, and start again

I've always had to enable live TV, generate the error, THEN enable my PVR add-on

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hey guys -

This device looks really cool! I have the SONY XBR65X850.

I have held off on buying their media player because of the lackluster reviews. However, this Shield TV looks like a winner because of the 4k playback. I should be able to use it for the TV, right? I mean, to finally get my 4k playback for Netflix?

Thank you for your help ...

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
@bryansj

That is an annoying and stupid thing kodi does with live TV

You have to configure the serverwmc add-on (disabled). Switch to the confluence skin. Then go enable live TV. Then you'll get the stupid error again (TV enabled with no PVR addons enabled) but this time it should take you the list of PVR addons. Then choose and enable serverwmc

It's dumb

If it won't take you to the list of addons then go to shield settings, apps, kodi, clear data, and start again

I've always had to enable live TV, generate the error, THEN enable my PVR add-on
Thanks. I tried doing it in the order you mentioned and still nothing. Would having Emby using ServerWMC keep Kodi from accessing it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
So I just checked and all my TVs - except for the main - have HDMI-CEC. So I think I might get a SHIELD for the main TV and Nexus Players (with accompanying OTG Ethernet cable for each) at each other TV. This would drive down costs significantly and give me Android TV devices @ 4 TVs for a total of $410 (Nexus Player is on sale for $70 ATM) - just over the price of 2 SHIELDS. My HTPC will still be headless and record with the HDHR DVR app; the same way it's headless and records w/ WMC and serves 4 XBOX 360s now.

Edit - $452 w/ the OTG Ethernet cables. Still, just over the price of 2 Shields.

I'm in a rush to switch just cause the longer I wait/it takes to make the switch from WMC, the less I can pawn these 360s off for on Amazon/eBay. I'm cool with eating the cost, but why not try to make as much back as I can?
I hope your experience with the Nexus and HDMI-CEC is better then mine. I went out and bought a Nexus Player for the bedroom to try this out. Directional arrow keys and the ok button work, but I there is no command for the back and home keys. Kind of a deal breaker because I refuse to use 2 remotes.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Thanks. I tried doing it in the order you mentioned and still nothing. Would having Emby using ServerWMC keep Kodi from accessing it?
No

Did you try clearing the kodi app data in settings?

Is the error you are seeing "Live TV - no DVR addons enabled" or something similar?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I hope your experience with the Nexus and HDMI-CEC is better then mine. I went out and bought a Nexus Player for the bedroom to try this out. Directional arrow keys and the ok button work, but I there is no command for the back and home keys. Kind of a deal breaker because I refuse to use 2 remotes.
Nexus Player could be different, I'll report back on that tomorrow. I moved my ADT-1 between all the TVs though (to test this before I made the purchase) and HDMI-CEC worked fine/correctly on all 3; so I'm assuming it will be the same - if not better (cause the 5.1 update fixed some HDMI-CEC bugs - and the ADT-1 didn't get the 5.1 update).

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
I turned HDMI-CEC off since it usually causes more problems with universal remotes than it helps.

No

Did you try clearing the kodi app data in settings?

Is the error you are seeing "Live TV - no DVR addons enabled" or something similar?
I cleared the app data, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and anything else I can come up with. I installed NextPVR and that add-on worked in Kodi, but ServerWMC keeps failing. I had it working months ago on my HTPC when I tested out the Kodi PVR, but I can't get it working on the Shield. It does work in Emby on the Shield.

How hard can it be? All it should be is setting the IP address of the ServerWMC computer.

Edit: I installed Kodi on my laptop and went through the same steps and ServerWMC is working. Still no luck on the Shield. Now my kids discovered the Shield GRID game streaming (free until July) and I can't get on to troubleshoot...

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Hey guys -

This device looks really cool! I have the SONY XBR65X850.

I have held off on buying their media player because of the lackluster reviews. However, this Shield TV looks like a winner because of the 4k playback. I should be able to use it for the TV, right? I mean, to finally get my 4k playback for Netflix?

Thank you for your help ...

Your TV already has Netflix 4K built into the software. If you can't access Netflix 4K, then you haven't updated the software, your Internet setup isn't strong enough for 4K streaming, or you have a low-end Netflix plan that does not cover 4K streaming. Might be any or all of those.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Your TV already has Netflix 4K built into the software. If you can't access Netflix 4K, then you haven't updated the software, your Internet setup isn't strong enough for 4K streaming, or you have a low-end Netflix plan that does not cover 4K streaming. Might be any or all of those.

Thank you for the reply.

I am 99.9% that I do not have the 4k processing built-in.

I should clarify that my TV is the 850A, I know the 850B is able to process 4k.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

I am 99.9% that I do not have the 4k processing built-in.

I should clarify that my TV is the 850A, I know the 850B is able to process 4k.
Yes, that changes everything. The Shield might get the job done for you if it will work with your TV's one and only full HDMI 2.0 port, but I can't say for sure without trying it on your TV. The Sony 4K media player is intended to be the 4K streaming solution used with your TV. With UltraHD Blu-Ray right around the corner, you might as well just buy whatever player Sony is putting out in a few months, since you only have one proper HDMI 2.0 port and the UHDBD player will do streaming and UHDBD.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I heard some TVs market Netflix 4k but only receive FHD and post process it on the set. That sucks. Haven't followed them enough to know which ones, but that's like selling a UHD BD player that can only play regular BDs upscaled

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
So, just to report back - HDMI-CEC is working fine for me on the Nexus Players. The only thing that sucks - on the SHIELD - even with the Harmony mapping/support, numerical keys don't work. Even though they're in the Harmony app/mapped to the keys on the remote. They're not crucial to operation though, so whatever. They work on my HDMI-CEC sets though; lol.

Also - the Nexus Players and SHIELD are playing TV via SW decoding in the HDHR View app without stuttering/glitching or anything. Can't even tell it's SW decoding. Everything is wired up via MoCa in my house; so no WiFi (I wouldn't even bother to try WiFi). Now, just waiting for Mpeg2 HW decoding to come to both so I can use the native Live TV app. I could update the Nexus Players to M, but I can't be bothered. I'll wait for the official release in the fall. I'm also not gonna keep using the ADT-1 for MPEG2/Live TV app. The HDHR app is definitely 'meh', but I'll live with it for now. It should be updated/changed when the DVR beta starts.

Plus, the SHIELD has a native Photos+Videos app. No more having to use ESFile Explorer and VLC to watch downloaded movies (or rooting to have to access USB media). Now, I just can watch via that with a plugged in USB stick I threw a downloaded movie on or whatever.

All in all, very happy for now :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, just to report back - HDMI-CEC is working fine for me on the Nexus Players. The only thing that sucks - on the SHIELD - even with the Harmony mapping/support, numerical keys don't work. Even though they're in the Harmony app/mapped to the keys on the remote. They're not crucial to operation though, so whatever. They work on my HDMI-CEC sets though; lol.

Also - the Nexus Players and SHIELD are playing TV via SW decoding in the HDHR View app without stuttering/glitching or anything. Can't even tell it's SW decoding. Everything is wired up via MoCa in my house; so no WiFi (I wouldn't even bother to try WiFi). Now, just waiting for Mpeg2 HW decoding to come to both so I can use the native Live TV app. I could update the Nexus Players to M, but I can't be bothered. I'll wait for the official release in the fall. I'm also not gonna keep using the ADT-1 for MPEG2/Live TV app. The HDHR app is definitely 'meh', but I'll live with it for now. It should be updated/changed when the DVR beta starts.

Plus, the SHIELD has a native Photos+Videos app. No more having to use ESFile Explorer and VLC to watch downloaded movies (or rooting to have to access USB media). Now, I just can watch via that with a plugged in USB stick I threw a downloaded movie on or whatever.

All in all, very happy for now :)
That's awesome!!!:cool: Glad it's working for you. My nexus with live tv on the hdhomerun app does stutter, but I'm not OTG ethernet. Still deciding if it's worth it for me to buy the otg cable, ethernet adapter, hub, and and a flirc since my cec isn't working right. Haven't pulled the trigger on the Shield yet, un-patiently waiting for the DVR software to come out before pulling the plug on WMC. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
the Nexus Players and SHIELD are playing TV via SW decoding in the HDHR View app without stuttering/glitching or anything. Can't even tell it's SW decoding
Told ya ;)

In seriousness, mpeg2 playback problems on the NP must be network related, because it works for both you and I

Also, my shield should arrive today, and I'm very excited

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Told ya ;)

In seriousness, mpeg2 playback problems on the NP must be network related, because it works for both you and I

Yeah, though to be honest, I never would have taken yours or anyone else's word for it; with the doubt all the complaints people had put in my head. So, thank Google for promising MPEG2 HW decoding - without that, I never would have bought them and discovered you were right :p

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Told ya ;)

So maybe you can set ServerWMC and Kodi for me and see if I'm just doing it wrong.

241 - 260 of 5374 Posts