AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 5374 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
How do you get 5.1 sound out of this unit for users of non-4K ready receivers as it has no optical output? I have 4k TV but Anthem MRX-310 that is not 4K ready. Is getting an HDMI splitter with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 the only way?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
How do you get 5.1 sound out of this unit for users of non-4K ready receivers as it has no optical output? I have 4k TV but Anthem MRX-310 that is not 4K ready. Is getting an HDMI splitter with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 the only way?
Well you currently only need HDCP 2.2 for Netflix 4k which your TV may already have on it since it is 4k. What TV do you have? My TV (Samsung UN55HU8550 with SEK_3500u) passes through 5.1 from HDMI source to Optical and ARC but that doesn't seem to work with the Shield consistently so I ended up buying this http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1x2-hdmi-splitter-hdmi-2-0.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&gclid=CjwKEAjwnKCrBRCm1YuPrtWW0QMSJAC-5UYk6Zbe4HADCmOcsqrAF8sZQRxdvhfWoKECpMDGeGFwnBoCSufw_wcB#__utma=22906303.691419052.1432910032.1432910032.1432910032.1&__utmb=22906303.2.10.1432910032&__utmc=22906303&__utmx=-&__utmz=22906303.1432910032.1.1.utmgclid=CjwKEAjwnKCrBRCm1YuPrtWW0QMSJAC-5UYk6Zbe4HADCmOcsqrAF8sZQRxdvhfWoKECpMDGeGFwnBoCSufw_wcB|utmccn=(not set)|utmcmd=(not set)|utmctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=54376363

In order to get 5.1 and 7.1 passthrough consistently while keeping HDCP 2.2 active instead of replacing my non HDCP 2.2 receiver. It works pretty well although it has the side effect of showing up as 5.1 Multi Channel in on the receiver versus Dolby Digital from time to time but that doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
staknhalo, which tuner and tuning app (HDHomerun View or InstaTV Pro) are you using?
HDHR Prime and Connect, HDHR View app installed. I'm using the Live Channels app to view though, it's much nicer than the HDHR View app (but you need that installed to make the Live Channels app even show up).

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Only for the Sony TVs w/ Android TV built in ATM. Exclusivity agreement. At first, you could sideload the Amazon Instant Video app onto any Android TV device and it worked - but then they caught on and made it so the video won't play on anything other than the Sony TV build of Android TV.
Any word on how long exclusivity will last?

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
No surprise, they want to sell Fire TVs.

But, Amazon works great on Roku. :) I noticed last night they have added a lot of really good movies recently, too.

The movie people need to get it, the more they offer on Amazon and/or Netflix, the less piracy there will be.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So, now that this has been out a few weeks, what are peoples opinions of this as a Kodi/Netflix machine?

Obviously there is still the HD audio pass through and the 23.976 adjustments still required.

However that wont stop the main entertainment value :) Are there any annoying glitches, or does it just work?

Has it handled every video you have thrown at it, or does it sometimes fail to play, or stutter when playing specific types?

How well does it integrate with harmony remotes etc? (ie do you have access to all Kodi features (i.e. context menus fast forward, scene skip etc.).

Any HDMI handshake issues? Good app management (or do you end up with a lot of apps running, eating memory without realising it).

Plus anything else people may have spotted?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
@Rbentley100

The Shield is my favorite media device I have ever bought (list includes Apple TV, Oppo 83, 93, 103, Mede8er x600, Zappiti 4k, Dune Smart D1). Note that my biggest goal from a media player / entertainment device is to give me organized and "pretty" access to my local and streaming media in the exact format that it was stored with no transcoding, etc.

It does "just work" for me out of the box, and so far what I have tested is Netflix, MLB TV, Kodi using the Emby plugin, and the Emby app itself. I have used Netflix in both 1080p and 4k and it is the fastest Netflix navigating device I have used. As you mentioned, we are all still waiting for a few more features, but Nvidia has been listening and implementing things like Mpeg2 already, and they seem genuinely interested in making this the box to beat them all. They now have a "what features do you want" sticky they they started on their Shield TV subforum.

It would be nice to have a true media player type remote with way more buttons, but as a guy that relies on Roomie Remote on an iPAD, I already appreciated even the simple commands I could perform on the hard remote from a room away since my gear is located in a separate equipment rack outside of my theater. I like having a hard remote for play, pause, etc.

The gaming is just the cherry on top for me, but it is cool to play some of the Android games plus stream from my PC. That all worked flawlessly from what I tried.

I do connect it to a wired gig network. YMMV over wifi.

As long as they add 23.976 and HD audio, I will be buying 3 more of these. Its a great piece of hardware that is only going to get better. So, so snappy, too. You can tell there is serious hardware in there, even though it is silent and takes 2-10 watts most of the time.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
@Rbentley100

The Shield is my favorite media device I have ever bought (list includes Apple TV, Oppo 83, 93, 103, Mede8er x600, Zappiti 4k, Dune Smart D1). Note that my biggest goal from a media player / entertainment device is to give me organized and "pretty" access to my local and streaming media in the exact format that it was stored with no transcoding, etc.
+1

This device rocks and it will only get better.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Agree, it is great. My biggest complaint is the lack of cable channel apps - though HBO is announced and will prob be here within the month or so I would think. But most of the big name other apps are there. As more Android TV devices get made/sold - I expect it to change. Although - I can workaround this just by Google Casting the apps I want to it - so I still have a way of watching them w/ the SHIELD - even if native apps never come.

My only other gripe is with gaming and using wireless 360 PC adapters and my 360 controllers. I am currently in correspondence with one of the reps to get this fixed. Mine are knock offs from Amazon (PC receivers, not the controllers) - but they are going to order the same ones I have to try and get it all sorted. Very pleased with the support so far. I can also continue using Moonlight to steam my PC games in the meantime - as everything work 100% through that app.

Now, just waiting on SD and the DVR beta.

I can't speak to Kodi usage - I don't use Kodi and have no desire to. Plex+the SD DVR app will cover my needs in that regard.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have a $150 Best Buy gift card to burn, and I am very interested.

But as an HTPC and Xbox One/360 owner (who doesn't have a 4k display) I havent seen any of you post something that makes me think I need this.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yeah I actually wasn't a Kodi user until now. All Emby, all the time! But I am coming around, especially given the level of collaboration the Kodi devs have been doing with the Shield folks. I just use the "Emby for Kodi" plugin so I still ONLY use Emby for all metadata and Kodi for the pretty front end and codec support. Its working out quite well so far.

Cant wait for the HDHR DVR so I can get rid of WMC and all pcs connected to TVS! (I am a 100% OTA only user).

Speaking of which, @staknhalo, do those of us in the HDHR DVR Kickstarter still have to buy / use the HDHR View app, or is there a separate app for us coming? I am about to get my first HDHR connect, as I have been using a pair of the very first gen HDHR units since they came out, so I have not been able to use the View app anyway. So do I need to buy it still or wait for something else they provide us?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

But as an HTPC and Xbox One/360 owner (who doesn't have a 4k display) I havent seen any of you post something that makes me think I need this.

Well, do you have local media residing on a hard drive, multiple hard drives, or a nas that you want to be able to watch on a device with coverart and without having to transcode it to another format to play it?

Do you care about streaming from your PC to TV (I think the Xbone can do this now/soon as well?? (not an XB owner, just thought I saw that).

Are you a cord cutter that might want to deploy these units at multiple TVS around your house with the upcoming server / client based DVR from silicondust?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

If you don't play PC games - and are still on WMC - then the only thing this can offer you is streaming apps. Which you can see my complaint of above.

However, if you do use Steam/PC games - are planning on using the SD DVR - and want streaming apps - then this device is the convergence point for all that.

Speaking of which, @staknhalo, do those of us in the HDHR DVR Kickstarter still have to buy / use the HDHR View app, or is there a separate app for us coming? I am about to get my first HDHR connect, as I have been using a pair of the very first gen HDHR units since they came out, so I have not been able to use the View app anyway. So do I need to buy it still or wait for something else they provide us?
I have no clue/no way of knowing yet. In beta, it might be just a Google Play beta app - which if you're invited to the applicable G+ community - you'll just be able to download from the store. This is how I've done betas with the MMC app and others on Android. As for when it comes out - it might be just an updated version of the View app - or a separate one. You might still need the View app for the Live Channels app on Android TV either while it's (the SD DVR) in beta or if it ends up being a separate app. It's only a buck or so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

341 - 360 of 5374 Posts