AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 5391 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I have a $150 Best Buy gift card to burn, and I am very interested.

But as an HTPC and Xbox One/360 owner (who doesn't have a 4k display) I havent seen any of you post something that makes me think I need this.
I have neither a HTPC or gaming console so this device fulfills both duties for me. I run Kodi for media playback and use the Gamestream function to play games from my PC on my TV. Add to the the OTA cable integration with an HDHomerun, its the box that does it all for me without all of the HTPC maintenance or takes up the space of the multiple additional boxes.

However, I don't record TV I only briefly watch it live for sports. Any shows I download.

·
Registered
194 Posts
@hifiaudio2

cheers for the response :) glad it is still working well. Cant wait for it to be released in the UK and to get pass-through support

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought the pro version for its 4k and home media prospects, but I have to say I'm more impressed with this thing as a gaming device. Its great for emulators and the nvidia game stream of pc games from my steam collection is awesome. As a media player I'm disapointed I can't even get it to output 5.1 on any source (plex, Netflix, etc...)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Anybody have any direction with loading ROM's? I have the ROM's, and I did get MAME to work. Having issues with the SNES one. It's not finding my ROM's which is on a separate HD. Is there any easy way to get these running smoothly?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I bought the pro version for its 4k and home media prospects, but I have to say I'm more impressed with this thing as a gaming device. Its great for emulators and the nvidia game stream of pc games from my steam collection is awesome. As a media player I'm disapointed I can't even get it to output 5.1 on any source (plex, Netflix, etc...)
Why can't you get 5.1 with Netflix? I get 5.1 with Netflix/Kodi/etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why can't you get 5.1 with Netflix? I get 5.1 with Netflix/Kodi/etc.
I'm sure its because I have my shield connected to my Samsung 4k tv directly, and the samsung isn't passing the 5.1 to my receiver. I have the new 2015 one connect box for my tv and it does pass through 5.1 via bitstream but for some reason it doesn't work with the shield. I would go straight to my sony receiver but it doesn't have hdcp 2.2 which I heard is a requirement for 4k netflix

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm sure its because I have my shield connected to my Samsung 4k tv directly, and the samsung isn't passing the 5.1 to my receiver. I have the new 2015 one connect box for my tv and it does pass through 5.1 via bitstream but for some reason it doesn't work with the shield. I would go straight to my sony receiver but it doesn't have hdcp 2.2 which I heard is a requirement for 4k netflix
I am in Australia and considering buying this, but not sure it will do what I want with my current equipment, having read the above.

My main use would be Netflix
I may or may not use it for streaming my own media files (currently have an Oppo 95 with an external 2TB USB storage that does this, plus have also hooked up a 3TB storage to my new Nighthawk R7000 AC router).

May be tempted to play some games on it, also.

I would be connecting to my NAD T775 HD AVR out through 5.1 speaker system and Panasonic Plasma 50" (1080p, not UHD)

Am concerned about HDMI compatibility (I think my NAD HDMI input plugs are only 1.3 and have no idea what version of HDCP it has).

Info, anyone?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but you should be fine, the HDCP 2.2 is only for 4k. I assume that if your just doing standard 1080p it would function like any other set top box

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Nvidia should have included optical or coaxial output on the unit as I believe many people with 4K TV's still have receivers/preamps that cannot pass 4K. That is the only thing stopping me from buying this unit as I have Sony XBR-850A TV but my Anthem MRX300 can only handle 1080p. I don't want to spend as much as the unit itself to buy an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 splitter.

Reactions: JimSatala77

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Nvidia should have included optical or coaxial output on the unit as I believe many people with 4K TV's still have receivers/preamps that cannot pass 4K. That is the only thing stopping me from buying this unit as I have Sony XBR-850A TV but my Anthem MRX300 can only handle 1080p. I don't want to spend as much as the unit itself to buy an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 splitter.
Well that is part of the early adopter issue. Time to upgrade that AVR/preamp to keep the chain connected.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Yup I have the same issue. For some reason the Nvidia Shield doesn't recognize the SEK-3500u (2015 One Connect) as a 5.1 capable device. I bought a HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 splitter in the meantime since I am not ready to upgrade my receiver yet. It is a little pricey but I expect them to get cheaper as they become more readily available.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1x2-hdmi-splitter-hdmi-2-0.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&gclid=CjwKEAjwnKCrBRCm1YuPrtWW0QMSJAC-5UYk6Zbe4HADCmOcsqrAF8sZQRxdvhfWoKECpMDGeGFwnBoCSufw_wcB#__utma=22906303.691419052.1432910032.1432910032.1432910032.1&__utmb=22906303.2.10.1432910032&__utmc=22906303&__utmx=-&__utmz=22906303.1432910032.1.1.utmgclid=CjwKEAjwnKCrBRCm1YuPrtWW0QMSJAC-5UYk6Zbe4HADCmOcsqrAF8sZQRxdvhfWoKECpMDGeGFwnBoCSufw_wcB|utmccn=(not%20set)|utmcmd=(not%20set)|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=54376363

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but you should be fine, the HDCP 2.2 is only for 4k. I assume that if your just doing standard 1080p it would function like any other set top box
So you figure that as long as I am only trying to pass through a 1080p signal, my receiver should be fine, and should receive the 5.1 surround?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm really considering getting one of these because I would love to stream games from my PC and I just got a new vizio 4k 50" tv, and I hate the smart tv interface, but I had a question about streaming movies. I currently have a plex media server that I use, and if I were to install xbmc/kodi on the shield, will I be able to stream content from my server to the deivce without having to use Plexbmc? I don't like the plex interface, and I love the xbmc interface. So can I stream my plex server content to the shield using the xbmc interface.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
The Plex interface is different from device to device (ugh) and even different on the same device depending on which build you are running - for example the public version of Plex for Roku is different than the Plex Pass version for Roku. So, although you may have seen the Plex interface on one device, it may likely be different on the nVidia.

There is one downfall to using Kodi in all rooms vs. Plex - you don't have the ability to stop in one room and resume in the next.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Plex interface is different from device to device (ugh) and even different on the same device depending on which build you are running - for example the public version of Plex for Roku is different than the Plex Pass version for Roku. So, although you may have seen the Plex interface on one device, it may likely be different on the nVidia.

There is one downfall to using Kodi in all rooms vs. Plex - you don't have the ability to stop in one room and resume in the next.
So will I be able to view my content through kodi, or do I have to use plex in order to view my plex content? I like all the metadata and movie poster stuff

·
Registered
720 Posts

Does anyone know if PLex stores files on your main Server seperatley for each play location?..I just discovered that kodi does and it ate up like 50gigs of memory on my OS SSD
:confused:

361 - 380 of 5391 Posts