AVS Forum banner

5341 - 5360 of 5391 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a Samsung HW-K950 sound system which supports Dolby Atmos. A funny thing with this sound system is that it sounds quite horrible when not in "Dolby Atmos mode", a mode which is only enabled (automatically) when the receiver is receiving a Dolby Atmos signal. Unfortunately, this is a well known fluke of this system

I've used both an Xbox One X as well as a Windows 10 PC in the past which have the ability to always output Dolby Atmos ("Dolby Atmos for home theater" with "Dolby Access" app), regardless of what the actual audio source is, to remedy this problem. However I would really like to purchase an Nvidia Shield TV, but without the ability the always output a Dolby Atmos signal my expensive sound system just doesn't sound good at all.

Does anyone know of any solution to always get a Dolby Atmos signal output from the Nvidia Shield? Wether the signal just gets repackaged in a Dolby Atmos container or the signal gets upmixed/upscaled to Dolby Atmos really doesn't matter. All I want is my sound system to receive a Dolby Atmos signal so it sounds like intended.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Picture Quality

Well finally received my Nvidia Shield Pro today and couldn't wait to plug it in. I now have a learning curve about 8-bit, 10-bit and 12-bit. When I watched King last night I found it dark and sometimes washed out. On the shield it has 73 custom Display modes. My thought was higher the but, better the colours. To my dismay 8-bit YUV 420 Rec.709 is the nicest picture. Problem is it isn't marked HDR10 ready, and when when I hit play HDR is not detected. Other observation is when I chose 12 bit YUV 422 Rec.709, the picture starts off bright and crisp but after 2 seconds goes very dark. Projector is a Optoma UHD60. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I own a Samsung HW-K950 sound system which supports Dolby Atmos. A funny thing with this sound system is that it sounds quite horrible when not in "Dolby Atmos mode", a mode which is only enabled (automatically) when the receiver is receiving a Dolby Atmos signal. Unfortunately, this is a well known fluke of this system

I've used both an Xbox One X as well as a
Windows 10 PC in the past which have the ability to always output Dolby Atmos ("Dolby Atmos for home theater" with "Dolby Access" app), regardless of what the actual audio source is, to remedy this problem. However I would really like to purchase an Nvidia Shield TV, but without the ability the always output a Dolby Atmos signal my expensive sound system just doesn't sound good at all.

Does anyone know of any solution to always get a Dolby Atmos signal output from the Nvidia Shield? Wether the signal just gets repackaged in a Dolby Atmos container or the signal gets upmixed/upscaled to Dolby Atmos really doesn't matter. All I want is my sound system to receive a Dolby Atmos signal so it sounds like intended.
I have the Shield 2017 and the audio is pass through. I have no issues with all formats. You have something else happing. I also have a very expensive system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Shield 2017 and the audio is pass through. I have no issues with all formats. You have something else happing. I also have a very expensive system.
I'm aware that the audio is pass through, and in my case audio pass through works fine when the original source is Atmos. The sound system is just ****ty at handling non-Atmos sources, it's a well known issue on this forum as well.

Some people have resorted to using an HDMI splitter to split sound and video from their sources, route the video to their TV, route the sound through an Xbox to upscale it to Atmos, and then route the sound to their sound system. Feels like to much hassle / money thrown away, so I was wondering if there was a native way to upscale/upmix to Atmos on Android TV.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm aware that the audio is pass through, and in my case audio pass through works fine when the original source is Atmos. The sound system is just ****ty at handling non-Atmos sources, it's a well known issue on this forum as well.

Some people have resorted to using an HDMI splitter to split sound and video from their sources, route the video to their TV, route the sound through an Xbox to upscale it to Atmos, and then route the sound to their sound system. Feels like to much hassle / money thrown away, so I was wondering if there was a native way to upscale/upmix to Atmos on Android TV.
If it passes the source through untouched shouldn't your AVR or Pre-Pro take care of producing a faux Atmos signal? :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi. if I’m correct the new Shield is able to send Dolby Atmos from Netflix movies to a compatible sound system. I have an Atmos compatible receiver but my TV is 1080p. If I upgrade my Netflix plan to 4k, will I have dolby Atmos sound from Netflix movies considering my TV is only 1080p? Some folks say that Apple TV 4k can do that but I’d prefer to buy the new Shield. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Anyone else have the following problem please o my noticed recently so not sure if as part of update to shield OS or Kodi

Play some content in Kodi bitstream lossless (DTS-MA etc) leave app to main Shield TV page then Chromecast any video content (NowTV, All4 etc) and video plays but no sound

Reboot the shield and sound on Chromecast works fine

Any ideas please ?

It's almost like Kodi still has exclusive use of the sound api
I believe you can just double tap the home button and close KODI, rather than restarting the entire system. I have had this happen in the past, no I just close which ever app I am using this way when I am done with it.

Bill

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi guy, couple questions.

I have a QNAP NAS and I run Twonky on it. Is there an easy interface I can use on the Nvidia Shield to play all my NAS movie/music files? Currently I use an OPPO 103 and it just shows up automatically for me in the perfect folder structure I've created in Twonky, I'm hoping the Nvidea interface is the same.

Also, can I set a master output to 1080p rather than 4K?

Thanks gents

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Hi guy, couple questions.

I have a QNAP NAS and I run Twonky on it. Is there an easy interface I can use on the Nvidia Shield to play all my NAS movie/music files? Currently I use an OPPO 103 and it just shows up automatically for me in the perfect folder structure I've created in Twonky, I'm hoping the Nvidea interface is the same.

Also, can I set a master output to 1080p rather than 4K?

Thanks gents
You could connect directly to your NAS via SMB with Kodi or MrMC or others. Probably wouldn’t need your Twonky server for that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You could connect directly to your NAS via SMB with Kodi or MrMC or others. Probably wouldn’t need your Twonky server for that.
Twonky is on the NAS, I use it because it's the only one I've found that sorts music by track # instead of alphabetically.

Is there a "network" section in the menu where you just pick your NAS like on a WDTV and access your files?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Twonky is on the NAS, I use it because it's the only one I've found that sorts music by track # instead of alphabetically.

Is there a "network" section in the menu where you just pick your NAS like on a WDTV and access your files?
It depends on the app you're using. Generally, if you have the IP address and the share name it can connect. The only downside is that the Shield is still at SMB 1 which is a little slower and less secure than 2 or 3 but you won't notice it. You can use other protocols too, not just SMB. A lot of us use Plex or Emby server and don't have any problems sorting our media. I did notice an app called Twonky Player on the Google Play Store which may work for you but you'd have to side load it and test if it works.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
It depends on the app you're using. Generally, if you have the IP address and the share name it can connect. The only downside is that the Shield is still at SMB 1 which is a little slower and less secure than 2 or 3 but you won't notice it. You can use other protocols too, not just SMB. A lot of us use Plex or Emby server and don't have any problems sorting our media. I did notice an app called Twonky Player on the Google Play Store which may work for you but you'd have to side load it and test if it works.
Yeah, you can use NTS as well. I use SMB with my Synology NAS and have never had an issue.

Reactions: DeadEd and m_snow

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i signed up and got the update to fix audio drop outs. (im using plex for playback)
yes the audio continues without the drop-out silence ... but there is something funny about it like sound is doubled, not sure

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nvidia Shield TV + Sony TV + Kodi = I get bad colours help!

Hi, I own a Sony TV KD-65X8509C 65 "and I use to watch in my UHD videos made by me with Nvidia Shield TV. I can't adjust the colors in the right and personal way. I have been doing video editing for a lifetime and lately I am doing video only in UHD watching them with Kodi.
When I use Nvidia Shield TV and I'm watching a video with Kodi, then I take the TV remote control to set the brightness and colors, I have a problem. Although if I put the Brightness slider at 1, I see very bright images, too. Then if I put it at 0, I see them too bright anyway. Maybe I should put -4 or -5 to get the right brightness. Why is this happening to me?
Unfortunately I don't have much experience in this regard, in fact I can only see crap with the hardware that I have with Kodi.
Can someone help me to be able to set the colors of the TV with Nvidia Shield TV? I attach 2 pics
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've done some further testing to determine why the remote is going through so many batteries.

This morning I got the "low battery" warning. I removed the battery tray from the remote. I used the controller to go into the accessories and confirmed that the small remote was "not connected". I then re-inserted the battery tray with the same batteries in the remote. I then used the back button on the small remote to go back to the home screen. Then I went back to the accessories screen and clicked on the small remote. On the screen that opened, the small remote's battery was now reported to be full.

The controller and android TV app on the phone seem to work perfectly, so I do not think that the Shield box is at fault.

I'm now beginning to think that either the remote hardware is faulty of the software in the small remote is faulty.

Any other possible options I've missed?

Thanks.

I thought I'd quote myself in this thread rather than start a new thread about our small remote once again suddenly going through batteries on an almost weekly basis. Any other Shield owners noticing that they're small remote is going through batteries faster than usual?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I thought I'd quote myself in this thread rather than start a new thread about our small remote once again suddenly going through batteries on an almost weekly basis. Any other Shield owners noticing that they're small remote is going through batteries faster than usual?

Thanks.

What’s a “small” remote?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5341 - 5360 of 5391 Posts