AVS Forum banner

5361 - 5380 of 5391 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I thought I'd quote myself in this thread rather than start a new thread about our small remote once again suddenly going through batteries on an almost weekly basis. Any other Shield owners noticing that they're small remote is going through batteries faster than usual?

Thanks.

Well, I got another low battery warning last night after new batteries were installed four days ago. Dear Nvidia, what's going on?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Well, I got another low battery warning last night after new batteries were installed four days ago. Dear Nvidia, what's going on?

Are you up to date?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
If you mean the latest Nvidia software and remote and controller software, yes. I checked for software updates for those first thing. Thanks.
Yeah it was a more common issue in the past but I asked because I thought they fixed it. I had it a few times, changed the battery and then realized it was fine so I just
closed the notification and ignored it. I ended up moving to the 2019 Shield so its no longer an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yeah it was a more common issue in the past but I asked because I thought they fixed it. I had it a few times, changed the battery and then realized it was fine so I just
closed the notification and ignored it. I ended up moving to the 2019 Shield so its no longer an issue for me.
Maybe what I've made bold in your post is exactly what Nvidia wanted increasingly frustrated owners to do.

I'm reminded of the recent "engineered" slowdown in response time of Apple phones. Owners got a bit frustrated with it and upgraded to a new phone. But I'm going to hang in there and see what kind of response I get from Nvidia, if any. Our controller still works great, so using that all the time may ultimately be my only option.

The interesting thing is that this low-battery thing appeared out of nowhere, just a couple of weeks ago. The batteries that were in the remote a that time had been in there for literally several months. Then, bang, the low battery warnings start appearing.

FWIW, I tested the voltages on the last set of batteries I removed from the remote a few days ago, as well as the ones that are in the remote today, plus several brand new batteries still in the pack, and I found just below 3.2V on all of them -- in other words, normal battery voltages for a CR2032 rated at 3V. So this is not a low-voltage issue. It's yet another FALSE low-battery warning issue that is caused by some screwed up communication between the remote and the base station.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Maybe what I've made bold in your post is exactly what Nvidia wanted increasingly frustrated owners to do.

I'm reminded of the recent "engineered" slowdown in response time of Apple phones. Owners got a bit frustrated with it and upgraded to a new phone. But I'm going to hang in there and see what kind of response I get from Nvidia, if any. Our controller still works great, so using that all the time may ultimately be my only option.

The interesting thing is that this low-battery thing appeared out of nowhere, just a couple of weeks ago. The batteries that were in the remote a that time had been in there for literally several months. Then, bang, the low battery warnings start appearing.

FWIW, I tested the voltages on the last set of batteries I removed from the remote a few days ago, as well as the ones that are in the remote today, plus several brand new batteries still in the pack, and I found just below 3.2V on all of them -- in other words, normal battery voltages for a CR2032 rated at 3V. So this is not a low-voltage issue. It's yet another FALSE low-battery warning issue that is caused by some screwed up communication between the remote and the base station.
I know its not the solution you're looking for, but what about getting a universal remote control? You wont have to deal with the low battery problems anymore. Logitech make some inexpensive ones, you have just one remote that controls all (8 or more) your entertainment devices. You can use it to control the shield with a USB IR

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I know its not the solution you're looking for, but what about getting a universal remote control? You wont have to deal with the low battery problems anymore. Logitech make some inexpensive ones, you have just one remote that controls all (8 or more) your entertainment devices. You can use it to control the shield with a USB IR

Just a suggestion.
Thanks, but if tthe small remote does not work out, I'll just use the controller -- to which the Shield responds instantaneously. If I were going to buy anything, I'd buy a brand new Nvidia small remote.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thanks, but if tthe small remote does not work out, I'll just use the controller -- to which the Shield responds instantaneously. If I were going to buy anything, I'd buy a brand new Nvidia small remote.

As a Harmony hub user, your response is amusing. Haha.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Last night the small remote suddenly became un-paired with the Shield box, so we used the controller for the rest of the evening. This morning, July 10, 2020, I changed the small remote batteries, woke up the Shield box using the controller and, again, the small remote was not detected. I chose "pair an accessory" and, after pressing and holding the center button on the remote for around 15 seconds, the small remote did pair with the Shield box. Right now, 09:28, July 10, 2020, 10 minutes after pairing, the batteries show "full". The stop watch "start" button has been pushed. How long before the low-battery warning pops up?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Last night the small remote suddenly became un-paired with the Shield box, so we used the controller for the rest of the evening. This morning, July 10, 2020, I changed the small remote batteries, woke up the Shield box using the controller and, again, the small remote was not detected. I chose "pair an accessory" and, after pressing and holding the center button on the remote for around 15 seconds, the small remote did pair with the Shield box. Right now, 09:28, July 10, 2020, 10 minutes after pairing, the batteries show "full". The stop watch "start" button has been pushed. How long before the low-battery warning pops up?
I hit the "stop" button on the stop watch last night at around 10 PM. Therefore, the "critically low battery" warning appeared approximately 84 hours after the new set of batteries were installed.

I removed the battery tray; waited about 30 seconnds and slid the tray back into the unit with the same batteries. About 5 minutes later I checked the remote's battery condition and it was reported to be "full". Amazing, don't you think? This morning at 08:27 AM the batteries condtion is reported to be "good".

Houston, "we" have the exact same problem that our Shield once had for many months, ending in April, 2019 when Nvidia sent me a replacement remote. I'll report how Nvidia responds to this re-run of the same issue.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Will the "new" 2019 Shield TV remote -- the one with the volume, forward, backward, play/pause buttons -- control the 2017 Shield TV console?

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
anyone know a way to fix "match content"?

My AppleTV4K works amazing and switches from HDR to Dolby Vision? but the Nvidia Shield never does it trying to figure out a way to make it work. I have Match Content on but it says BETA

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
anyone know a way to fix "match content"?

My AppleTV4K works amazing and switches from HDR to Dolby Vision? but the Nvidia Shield never does it trying to figure out a way to make it work. I have Match Content on but it says BETA

What’s your default resolution? Mine says 4K 59.940 HDR Ready and with Match content color space switched on I get HDR or DV just like my ATV4K. Dolby Vision needs to be switched on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I hit the "stop" button on the stop watch last night at around 10 PM. Therefore, the "critically low battery" warning appeared approximately 84 hours after the new set of batteries were installed.

I removed the battery tray; waited about 30 seconnds and slid the tray back into the unit with the same batteries. About 5 minutes later I checked the remote's battery condition and it was reported to be "full". Amazing, don't you think? This morning at 08:27 AM the batteries condtion is reported to be "good".

Houston, "we" have the exact same problem that our Shield once had for many months, ending in April, 2019 when Nvidia sent me a replacement remote. I'll report how Nvidia responds to this re-run of the same issue.
Nvidia was kind enough to send us a replacement "refurbished" small remote, which we received on July 21, about 25 days ago. As of today, the original batteries (that NVIDIA graciously also included with the remote) are still reported by the console to be "100%", which is a very good thing. Since the day we received the refurbished remote, there has been not a single false low-battery warning. My wife and I are keeping our fingers crossed that this trend will continue for many months.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Will the "new" 2019 Shield TV remote -- the one with the volume, forward, backward, play/pause buttons -- control the 2017 Shield TV console?

Thanks.
I just performed an update to my older Shield and when it was done it said I could use the new remote with it so I'm thinking it will work. The new remotes are available from Nvidia for only $30.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
This is completely OT, so moderators please do whatever you feel appropriate.

I've searched for a cell-phone-related forum, but so far no luck. Is there such a forum on AVS? (FWIW, I'm trying to eliminate whatever "package" is causing browsers to open with spam websites on our Note 4.)

Thanks.

Edit: FWIW, for anyone whose cellphone is having the problem I described above (no matter what android browser you're using, "something" opens the default, active or last remaining browser to spam websites that say you've won something, etc.), Step 1 is to uninstall or disable two apps -- Bluetooth Auto Connect and Peel Smart Remote. Doing that completely stopped the problem on our Samsung Note 4.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I just performed an update to my older Shield and when it was done it said I could use the new remote with it so I'm thinking it will work. The new remotes are available from Nvidia for only $30.
Last night our 2017 Shield received the same update, after which the same message about the new remote appeared. But this is not the reason I'm typing this message today. The reason I'm typing is that on the day prior to the new update, I checked the state of charge of the batteries in our refurbished small remote and that was reported to be "100%". Very shortly after the update, I checked the state of charge and it was reported to be "80%, so a supposed 20% drop in charge level in less than 24 hours. Today, about 12 hours after that 80% reading, the remote is now reported to be "100%".

Any other 2017 owners notice this kind of strange, fluctuating charge-level reporting?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Last night our 2017 Shield received the same update, after which the same message about the new remote appeared. But this is not the reason I'm typing this message today. The reason I'm typing is that on the day prior to the new update, I checked the state of charge of the batteries in our refurbished small remote and that was reported to be "100%". Very shortly after the update, I checked the state of charge and it was reported to be "80%, so a supposed 20% drop in charge level in less than 24 hours. Today, about 12 hours after that 80% reading, the remote is now reported to be "100%".

Any other 2017 owners notice this kind of strange, fluctuating charge-level reporting?
Thanks.
How are you checking the level of charge on the batteries? Is there some monitoring function in the Shield that I'm not aware of or are you taking out the batteries and testing them?

FWIW, I have several of the older Shields and I've never had to replace the batteries in any of them. However, none of them see a lot of heavy use so that may count towards their longevity.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Is there some monitoring function in the Shield that I'm not aware of or are you taking out the batteries and testing them?
Go to settings> Remotes & Accessories> Shield Accessories then click on your remote and it will tell you the battery level.

5361 - 5380 of 5391 Posts