AVS Forum banner

5381 - 5392 of 5392 Posts

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Go to settings> Remotes & Accessories> Shield Accessories then click on your remote and it will tell you the battery level.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that feature. Maybe one of these days I'll actually read an owner's manual. I still don't know what half the controls do in my car.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

FWIW, I have several of the older Shields and I've never had to replace the batteries in any of them. However, none of them see a lot of heavy use so that may count towards their longevity.
If you go to the accessories' spreadsheet-data page that I described above, you will notice that there is a column entitled "Connection". Before you go to that page using the small remote, make sure that you do not touch or move the game controller. When you arrive at the accessories status page, the controller will likely be reported to be "disconnected", as mine was this morning when I took the above photo of our screen. If you then move or touch one of the buttons on the controller, you will see that the controller's state nearly instantaneously changes to "wireless".

If you have a stop watch, move or hit buttons on the small remote and the controller while simultanesously hitting the "start" button on the stop watch, then immediately leave the remote and controller prefectly still and don't touch them. In exactly 5 minutes the state of both devices will change from "wireless" to "disconnected". I believe that this is some kind of low-power-consumption "sleep" mode.

Therefore, if you put both the small remote and the controller in a location where they will not be moved or their buttons pushed for months or years on end, it is quite possible that the batteries in both will retain their state of charge almost as if you removed them form their devices and put them on a shelf (not that you can remove the controller batteries, but you get my drift).

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
If you have a stop watch, move or hit buttons on the small remote and the controller while simultanesously hitting the "start" button on the stop watch, then immediately leave the remote and controller prefectly still and don't touch them. In exactly 5 minutes the state of both devices will change from "wireless" to "disconnected". I believe that this is some kind of low-power-consumption "sleep" mode.
My Shields time out automatically and go into sleep mode if there's no activity for a while. I believe the screen saver kicks in after about 5 minutes and then it goes into sleep mode a while later. I have one of my Shields configured so it never goes into sleep mode, but it does start the screen saver. It's interesting because the new remotes now have a power button that I'm guessing just activates sleep mode and doesn't really power off the unit completely.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My Shields time out automatically and go into sleep mode if there's no activity for a while. I believe the screen saver kicks in after about 5 minutes and then it goes into sleep mode a while later. I have one of my Shields configured so it never goes into sleep mode, but it does start the screen saver. It's interesting because the new remotes now have a power button that I'm guessing just activates sleep mode and doesn't really power off the unit completely.
I meant that the state of the small remote and game controller would change from "wireless" to "disconnected" after 5 minutes of inactivity and that this "disconnected" state would be similar to those two devices going to sleep, or even "turning off".

Our console does not start the screensaver for at least a half hour of no actively, but I'm not sure on that because I almost never see it.

Our console never enters sleep mode without being told to do so by going to settings and selecting sleep mode.

Our console does not have a power button, so if you power off the unit in the settings, in order to turn the console back on, I have to literally unplug the unit and plug it back in.

If I want to "restart" the unit, I select "restart" in the settings and then the unit will restart or reboot.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I meant that the state of the small remote and game controller would change from "wireless" to "disconnected" after 5 minutes of inactivity and that this "disconnected" state would be similar to those two devices going to sleep, or even "turning off".

Our console does not start the screensaver for at least a half hour of no actively, but I'm not sure on that because I almost never see it.

Our console never enters sleep mode without being told to do so by going to settings and selecting sleep mode.

Our console does not have a power button, so if you power off the unit in the settings, in order to turn the console back on, I have to literally unplug the unit and plug it back in.

If I want to "restart" the unit, I select "restart" in the settings and then the unit will restart or reboot.
I understand what you're saying about the controllers disconnecting.

I have the newest console with the new remote plus a couple of the older models, on which I have updated the software and added the new remotes. The new remote has a power button that I assume does the same thing as selecting sleep mode in the settings menu. There is no power button on any version of the Shield console.

A half hour sounds about right for the screen saver to kick in.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I understand what you're saying about the controllers disconnecting.

I have the newest console with the new remote plus a couple of the older models, on which I have updated the software and added the new remotes. The new remote has a power button that I assume does the same thing as selecting sleep mode in the settings menu. There is no power button on any version of the Shield console.

A half hour sounds about right for the screen saver to kick in.
I believe that the older Shield model years, including '17, had power buttons on the highest-end versions that had the internal 500gb hard drive, but I might be wrong on that because I never owned one.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I believe that the older Shield model years, including '17, had power buttons on the highest-end versions that had the internal 500gb hard drive, but I might be wrong on that because I never owned one.
I had the standard 2017 model with the remote and gaming controller but it just had the slim remote with no power button. I checked ebay for used 2017 Shield Pro models with the 500GB drives and they all had the standard slim remote with no power button.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My Mi Box remote has a power button. A short press puts it to sleep and a long press pops up a menu box with the only option being reboot.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had the standard 2017 model with the remote and gaming controller but it just had the slim remote with no power button. I checked ebay for used 2017 Shield Pro models with the 500GB drives and they all had the standard slim remote with no power button.
You are correct that the 2017 small remote did not have a power button, not even on the 500gb pro unit. It was the 2017 500gb pro CONSOLE that had a capacitive-touch power button on its top, right, front. This was explained to me in this forum on July 8, 2017 from posts numbered 4,174 to 4,179, which I've quoted below.

I powered off (not sleep mode) the unit from the "about" selection. Now, for some reason I cannot start it. Short of pulling the plug and plugging back in, is there a way to power on the unit using either remote?

Thanks.
To power the unit back up from a fully powered down state, you have to physically touch the top part of the unit near the Nvidia logo. The remotes cannot power on the system from a fully powered down state. They will only wake the unit up from sleep mode.
Can you post a photo showing exactly where to touch the top of the unit. I tried touching the small, incised logo, but nogo.
Thanks.
I suspect you have the 2017 16GB model, in which case there is no power button on the top. This only exists on the Pro 500GB models, and the 2015 16GB model. Was removed from the 2017 16GB model along with IR, and the SD card slot. I suspect only a cable disconnection and reconnection will work here.
Madaudio is correct. I didn't realize that you had the new 2017 model. Mine is the first gen 2015 16GB model. The attached photo shows where to touch it to turn it on.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate it.

Yes, I bought a used unit that was originally purchased at a retailer on June 15, 2017, so it definitely is a 2017 model.

I must say that this is a rather PIA situation. Having to plug and unplug in order to turn back on isn't even as advanced as "back to the future". It's more from the era of Edison and I don't think that even at that time anything was put on the market that didn't have a power switch.

Because the unit is always on and always on the LAN, I am suspicious of the "security" of this situation. Maybe it would be worth it to get a very short, inexpensive power bar that has an on/off toggle switch. Until that happens, I'll do what everybody else apparently does -- use sleep mode only. But I still love the unit regardless.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
You are correct that the 2017 small remote did not have a power button, not even on the 500gb pro unit. It was the 2017 500gb pro CONSOLE that had a capacitive-touch power button on its top, right, front. This was explained to me in this forum on July 8, 2017 from posts numbered 4,174 to 4,179, which I've quoted below.
I see. Sounds like a secret power button that only works if you know it's there. Strange

5381 - 5392 of 5392 Posts