AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 5374 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Can somebody answer me the following question:

If I only want to use the Shield for streaming local video's via Kodi/Plex from the NAS, do I need the 500GB internal HDD?

If not, where do I need the 500Gb HDD when I have an access to the NAS?

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
That's up to you. You can use an internal drive, or a USB stick, or an external drive.

But then, first you say local video, then you say NAS. Which is it? If you mean LOCAL NETWORK from NAS, then no, you do not need any additional storage, the base unit works just fine.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
If I'm not mistaken I think the internal storage is mainly for installing games and apps. If you need more storage you can attach a USB drive. I don't think you can install games and apps on external storage. So in your case (and 99% of our cases) the base model is fine.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
I put a 64GB MicroSD in mine for games. It isn't needed for streaming at all though. I found that 64GB is way overkill for my games, but oh well, I have it now.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Installed ServerWMC earlier today, and it's working pretty well. Have full DVR access. It's only scanning the first 491 channels I have though (Comcast, so CBSHD = 802, FoxHD = 803, ESPNHD = 850, and so on). Anybody else experience this? Suggestions?

[EDIT]
I didn't understand that Server WMP was correctly finding 491 channels of mine, and then assigning them it's own numbers (1-491), such that we get Sprout HD, it's like channel 1505 on Comcast, so in Kodi it looks like:
490 / SproutHD (1505).

Sorry for the confusion...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Which tuner system, HDHR Prime? Do you have channels there that you don't subscribe to?
I'm using an HDHR Prime for Live TV on Shield, but I haven't introduced my Win7 WMC HTPC to the Prime yet.

I have a ceton infinitv installed in the PC. That's what I think ServerWMC and PVR.MRC are scanning... and my cable package includes *almost* all the channels.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Here is an other indication, that something major is wrong with up sampling and color decoding:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/895245/shield-android-tv/picture-quality-and-color-space-evaluation/

Chroma alignment : Nearest neighbor
High-frequency detail : Nearest neighbor
Upsampling : Nearest neighbor
Smooth Diagonals : Nearest neighbor
Clean Ramps : BAD
White Clipping : BAD
Chroma Clipping : BAD
Red, Green and Blue Clipping : BAD
BT.709 : No Square
Chroma Range : BAD

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,113
I didn't understand that Server WMP was correctly finding 491 channels of mine, and then assigning them it's own numbers (1-491), such that we get Sprout HD, it's like channel 1505 on Comcast, so in Kodi it looks like:
490 / SproutHD (1505)
It's actually a Kodi setting not a ServerWMC setting that reorders your channels

You can modify it under settings->TV and you'll want to tick the "Always use backend channel numbering" option

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
It's actually a Kodi setting not a ServerWMC setting that reorders your channels

You can modify it under settings->TV and you'll want to tick the "Always use backend channel numbering" option
Nice pro-tip. Thanks.

Unrelated, but is anyone else noticing, regarding LIVE TV on shield, that fast motion (sports) viewing is excessively blurry and almost unwatchable when using the HDHOMERUN plugin for Kodi, but if you exit kodi and open the native HDHomeRun View app, all that motion blur goes away?

Reactions: ncarty97

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Amazon's got a nice little discount on the 16 GB version right now, FYI for anyone interested.

Limited quantity, 1-per-customer. I just used it to pick up a second one... probably woulda bought 2 (or more) if they'd have let me.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Looks like Sling TV has plans to integrate into the XBox OneGuide. Sure would be nice if they would do the same with Live Channels for Android TV.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/technology/sling-tv-be-featured-xbox-one-oneguide/145780
I agree. I'm also having issues with some of the Channels from Pluto TV not playing within the Live TV app. I'm having to switch to the actual Pluto TV app to watch the channels, which is not a big deal, but the combined OTA and Pluto TV Channels in one app is very convenient.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Amazon's got a nice little discount on the 16 GB version right now, FYI for anyone interested.

Limited quantity, 1-per-customer. I just used it to pick up a second one... probably woulda bought 2 (or more) if they'd have let me.
Thanks. Had my co-worker buy one. Looking to ditch his HTPC now that he has a media server running Plex. Just needs a simple client for his theater since he always "breaks" the HTPC I built for him.

·
Registered
313 Posts
SHIELD comes with a free remote now, aside from gamepad. Nice deal considering there are still $50 off coupons floating around, to snag this all for $150. Limited time offer.

http://shield.nvidia.com/store/android-tv
Bummer, since I had just bought one last week. Called to see if they'd be willing to add the remote to my previous order and no dice. Fortunately I did have a $50 off code so put in an another order with the remote. I'll either sell or gift the other Shield TV. Thanks for the alert!

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
SHIELD comes with a free remote now, aside from gamepad. Nice deal considering there are still $50 off coupons floating around, to snag this all for $150. Limited time offer.

http://shield.nvidia.com/store/android-tv
So with a $50 coupon it should be $125 plus a free remote. You could possibly sell the remote and controller for maybe $75 and get the Shield for $50.

I got with live chat and they had me buy the remote and refunded the $50 since I forgot (didn't realize) to add it to the $175 order.

1101 - 1120 of 5374 Posts