AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 5374 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So with a $50 coupon it should be $125 plus a free remote. You could possibly sell the remote and controller for maybe $75 and get the Shield for $50.

I got with live chat and they had me buy the remote and refunded the $50 since I forgot (didn't realize) to add it to the $175 order.
I wish I knew how all you guys are pulling off this $50 coupon deal...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Well Google told me it was from the GeForce newsletter.
Well it wasn't until I googled "Nvidia Shield coupon GeForce Newsletter" until Google told me this was the avenue... so thanks for the tip.

FYI, Amazon also has a deal today on 128 Gig PNY MicroSD cards (60 Mbps data transfer)... marked down to $39.99. Will pair nicely with this morning's Shield order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So with a $50 coupon it should be $125 plus a free remote. You could possibly sell the remote and controller for maybe $75 and get the Shield for $50.

I got with live chat and they had me buy the remote and refunded the $50 since I forgot (didn't realize) to add it to the $175 order.
Did you chat with amazon? I got mine 2 weeks ago from them using the $50off coupon and was wondering what you did to get the credit.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Did you chat with amazon? I got mine 2 weeks ago from them using the $50off coupon and was wondering what you did to get the credit.
I (co-worker) ordered it today. It was too late to cancel and reorder. Spoke with their online chat, sent link to order, and provided order number. Was told to order the remote and they would refund the credit card. Shield should arrive by 9pm with same day shipping and remote will arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Are you talking about the Amazon price of $175? You're right that Amazon is selling it with remote for $175. But Nvidia is selling it directly for $200 with remote and the additional $50 promo, brings it down to $150. Sadly, you can't get it for $125.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Are you talking about the Amazon price of $175? You're right that Amazon is selling it with remote for $175. But Nvidia is selling it directly for $200 with remote and the additional $50 promo, brings it down to $150. Sadly, you can't get it for $125.
Amazon now has 2 seperate listings:

With remote ($200)

Without remote ($175)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can someone that has the Shield report how is the picture quality? I am asking specifically when streaming your own mkvs from the local network. I know that TrueHD and DTS-MA are now supported, but if the picture quality sucks, then WD TV is still the better option. I see some concerns from a thread on the NVIDIA website.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Amazon now has 2 seperate listings:

With remote ($200)

Without remote ($175)
You can scroll down to the special offers of the $175 listing and click the "Add Both To Cart" button.

"Receive 1 NVIDIA SHIELD remote free when you purchase 1 or more NVIDIA SHIELD offered by Amazon.com. Here's how (restrictions apply)"

However, as of right now the "With Remote" version is listed for $175 as well.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Can someone that has the Shield report how is the picture quality? I am asking specifically when streaming your own mkvs from the local network. I know that TrueHD and DTS-MA are now supported, but if the picture quality sucks, then WD TV is still the better option. I see some concerns from a thread on the NVIDIA website.
TrueHD and DTS-MA are supported, just not easy to take advantage of if you want to bitstream.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
How about the picture quality?
I found it lacking. I didn't do any scientific tests but I have used about three dozen Kodi boxes over the years.

I was streaming a TV series when I first received it and simply swapped a Brix J1900 for it. With the first episode I viewed I felt the image wasn't as detailed as the Brix. Since I have viewed multiple episodes I was rather familiar with how it looks. Viewing other content I had the same impression.

Later on I swapped backed (simply switched inputs on the receiver) and the detail was back. I ended up returning it and have posted my overall impressions already. Plus I posted a link with images that represents what I was seeing in one of the Shield threads. Just placed a Pi2 in the same installation and the image appears superior for 1080p... not so sure about deinterlacing.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Forced subtitles support in blu-ray ISO

Hey guys,

I picked up the Shield a few days ago and I'm quite impressed with it. However, one issue I'm having is with getting forced subtitles to work in blu-ray ISOs.

My understanding was that KODI reads the forced subtitle flag in blu-ray ISOs and turns on forced subtitles when necessary. In practice, what I've found is that it only does this if the forced subtitles are present in subtitle track #1 . As such, in movies like the Godfather 1 & 2 where the forced subtitles are in a separate subtitle track (track #3 in both those cases) KODI does not turn on the subtitles.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in the settings or is this currently a KODI limitation?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I think I'm probably better/more keen to audio than I am video, but:

1. I don't notice any difference in picture quality between playing my Blu Ray rips back in Kodi on Shield as compared to my old WDTV, or with the actual disc inserted and playing back on my PS3.

2. I believe the PQ of Live TV accessed via the native HDHomeRun View app is as-good-as-or-better than the PQ of:
- a Motorola Cable box I have
- a Ceton Echo WMC Extender I use

3. I believe the PQ of Live TV accessed within Kodi via the HDHomeRun add-on is INFERIOR to the other PQ options I mentioned above (significant motion blur issues that aren't seen when using the HDHomeRun View app natively).

4. I'm not 100% certain on this, but .wtv play-back within Plex appears/feels "soft" to me, with less detail, when compared to the exact same file being played back within Media Browser on my Ceton Echo.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hey guys,

I picked up the Shield a few days ago and I'm quite impressed with it. However, one issue I'm having is with getting forced subtitles to work in blu-ray ISOs.

My understanding was that KODI reads the forced subtitle flag in blu-ray ISOs and turns on forced subtitles when necessary. In practice, what I've found is that it only does this if the forced subtitles are present in subtitle track #1 . As such, in movies like the Godfather 1 & 2 where the forced subtitles are in a separate subtitle track (track #3 in both those cases) KODI does not turn on the subtitles.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in the settings or is this currently a KODI limitation?
I don't know, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say... I've been ripping "with forced subtitles" within MakeMKV for a long time now. But proper Subtitle support has often eluded me via my own ripping practices... that's always been the biggest downside, for me, to transitioning away from the "get off the couch, find the disc, stick it in, wait for it to boot, navigate thru the menus, and push play" *traditional* method of blu-ray playback.

Lots of pros to it... proper subtitle playback has always been the *con*.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't know, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say... I've been ripping "with forced subtitles" within MakeMKV for a long time now. But proper Subtitle support has often eluded me via my own ripping practices... that's always been the biggest downside, for me, to transitioning away from the "get off the couch, find the disc, stick it in, wait for it to boot, navigate thru the menus, and push play" *traditional* method of blu-ray playback.

Lots of pros to it... proper subtitle playback has always been the *con*.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I've been spoiled by the Dune players I've been using for the last five years. I just rip the movie only to ISO using DVD Fab and the Dune takes care of the rest. Although the Dune is great at playback I'm hoping I can transition to the Shield with Kodi as the indexers available for Dune are starting to look pretty dated.

If anyone else has any feedback on the subtitle issue please let me know.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am seriously considering the Shield - but have I have 2 key questions.

The first is the one asked about forced sub-titles.

The second is whether anyone has tried out the DirecTV android app that allows you to stream live channels in the home. Is it Shield compatible - either through direct availability or can it be side-loaded?

Thanks for any insight anyone might have.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Hey thanks for the heads up on the $175 price with controller and remote. I've been wanting a second controller, and I wanted a remote for when I'm using the Shield in my RV. Well, I'm no dummy, I just ordered a whole 'nuther setup with controller and remote - the remote will go in the RV and the controller with the one we use for gaming. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Has anyone gotten PleXBMC to work in Kodi on the Shield? I have made it work on OpenELEC, but no matter what I try on Kodi on the Shield, it just tells me that it cannot find the server. If I tell it Automatic server discovery, it finds it. If I tell it manual and enter the IP, it says it can't find any servers. But even on Automatic, after it is found, once I "Go Plex", it says it could not find the server.

I have mentioned this before in several threads, I find trying to make PleXMBC to work in Kodi on the Shield is a futile act of frustration. I can install the Emby add-on, and it works great. Thing is though, Emby does not auto frame-rate switch on my HTPC (Emby Home Theater) and we don't like the interface as much on Emby as PHT, so the problem becomes the bedroom system on Emby for Kodi, and PHT on the HTPC become out of sync. I can't resume in the bedroom, and I can't easily look at unwatched episodes or what is "on deck" since they are out of sync.

And, for the record, I hate the way the remote works on all Plex implementations other than PHT. On PHT, it works just like WMC, which is the way it should work. Everywhere else, I have to arrow to the >> then GUESS where it's gone at 4x or 8x or whatever. So, I prefer the Kodi method of watching my videos. I just need to figure out how to get these sync'd up on Plex without using Plex for Android.

1121 - 1140 of 5374 Posts