AVS Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 3960 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How much the Olives like to vibrate along with the internal hard disk, is just up to the hard disk. Once I had my first 2TB drive in my modest Opus 4, and it vibrated like hell (if that vibrates, does anyone know?). Now I have replaced it with another disk, and you don't even know it is turning.

The vibrating disk was a Seagate Barracuda LP, the silent disk is a Seagate Barracuda Green.

Marc

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks Marc. I need to learn how to get the Olive OS onto a new disc. I assume it isn't as simple as putting in a fresh HD and restoring the music from a back-up. Will look at previous posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1950#post_22200014

OK, managed to copy from the Olive 06 onto local HD (Mac system). Copy went thru fine, files sizes are a perfect match. However, the file type on the Mac is a 'document' so I cannot initiate playback from within XBMS. it no longer recognizes it as a music file. So, is there a file copy setting I missed?

There are no settings that I've found. If you copy albums, you should wind up with a Album folder which has the songs inside with a .flac extension. I'm assuming you have the player needed to play FLAC files on your MAC because by default iTunes will not. If you aren't copying FLAC files from XBMC maybe it's because it's version 11 as I've heard that it doesn't work for some people. See if you can download version 10.1 because it always worked for me.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1980#post_22200371

Thanks Marc. I need to learn how to get the Olive OS onto a new disc. I assume it isn't as simple as putting in a fresh HD and restoring the music from a back-up. Will look at previous posts.

If you can get the unit open, which is not as simple as it is for an Opus No.4, it must be a straightforward process. Just restore the software from a recovery cd, and restore the music from your regular backup.

Recovery cd's can be downloaded from Olive's site. I have had all the flavors, but several did not work as advertised, although they all were able to wipe out the music in a split second.
The latest is version 4.1.4.

If one works, it leaves you with a working although empty Olive. Outdated, but upgradable.

Than you can begin to restore the music.

if you don't trust the regular methods, you'll better try to clone the disk. For Windows there ar some software options, that I don't recall (indeed, you'll find something in this very thread).

In Linux I use gparted.

The first partition is special. You must clone it as it is, and don't try to repair it, or else the Olive will not start. Unfortunately gparted automatically repairs the partition to copy, so that's useless in this case.

dd-rescue or something similar should work here, but I did not try them (just cloning the disk used to work previously)

Marc

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hello PGMMA - in the end it was simple. Just add a .flac extension to the files on the MAC then XBMS has no issues finding and playing the file from the MAC. On the MAC you can do this as a batch edit; but still some work. For now, I am relying on the Olive and the Olive back-up, but I might grab another external drive and let XBMS export everything there to have a more universally accessible back-up should it ever come to that.

However, Olive should look to XBMS on how to structure a user interface (Maestro). XBMS can scroll through the Olive library much faster than Olive can. However, XBMS hangs if you try to play a 24-bit file.

(HD).

I remain impressed with XBMS. It found the Olive as a UPNP device, plays the files without issue over the network using the Olive as the server (excepting HD files) and correctly displays customized album artwork I downloaded for CD's of our kids music performances etc. Not bad. Of course, the Olive managed the communications and file transfers flawlessly over the network as well.

Later, I am actually going to listen to some music. Thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hello Marc - I wil create a restore CD, thanks for the pointers. This is a small issue to be sure, I only noticed in comparison to the 03HD (hard drive vibration). In contrast to some other user reports, Olive support was very prompt. We decided, in lieu of the risks of shipping the 06 across the country twice to swap the drive, that they extend the warranty for an additional year. So, no complaints with the customer support.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

New here even though I've been lurking from time to time.

I have an Olive 4HD for 15 months and I just wanted to share the alternative way I found to get the audio library 'out' of it.

Sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Just thought I'd share this.

I'm basically starting from backup data generated by the device itself on an external USB HDD.

I don't use XBMC (by the way Foobar2000 can do the same job as XBMC).

In my case, copying 350GB of music through the UPnP protocol just takes too much time and isn't reliable.

As you know, Olive native backup format is EXT3 filesystem.

It can be read by Windows, provided that you have Ext2 Installable File System for Windows installed ( http://www.fs-driver.org ).

This piece of software allows mounting the EXT3 HDD like any other drive in Windows.

You give it a drive letter (Z: for instance) and you're done.

All audio files are located in Z:\AudioLibrary in separate directories (CD_XXXXXXX) with the actual FLAC files in them.

Backups used to be tar'ed but since firmware 4.2.0 it seems they no longer are.

Anyway I didn't have to concatenate anything nor use 7-zip at all (as poster Gareth did).

Basically I import the directory Z:\AudioLibrary in JRiver (or whatever media center) and that's it. Job done.

I can use JRiver to copy whatever album elsewhere, edit tags, change artwork, etc. It's all there.

Through this process I found that all FLAC tags set by Olive when it rips CDs is just pure garbage.
All edits done through Maestro don't modify file tags, they just update the library central description file.

Rips done on my PC (and pushed to the Olive) are restored properly though.

Hope you'll find this useful.

·
Registered
14 Posts

1. Thanks - that's good to know.

It also makes sense - the tar archives simply wouldn't work with an incremental backup. How would the Olive update it?

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks Rouquemoute,

It seems to me that the new backup-format is just a plain copy. If a file zDB is there in Z:\, that is the sq3lite file with all the metadata.

Of course the Olive keeps it separated from the tags in the files, because that makes it possible to use wav as format.

The garbage you find in the tags is just what freedb initially offers.

Marc

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1980#post_22241934

Thanks Rouquemoute,

It seems to me that the new backup-format is just a plain copy. If a file zDB is there in Z:\, that is the sq3lite file with all the metadata.

Of course the Olive keeps it separated from the tags in the files, because that makes it possible to use wav as format.

The garbage you find in the tags is just what freedb initially offers.

Marc

Having FLAC tags right (and artwork embedded inside files) is what ensures the audio library will be portable to other systems.

I also found that artwork images (in the backup dump) are awfully low in resolution.

Also when updating artwork through Maestro they end up with aspect ratio modified from the original file (I think it's no longer the case with recent firmware versions though).

When viewed on an iPad (or any UPnP client for that matter) they look terrible.

It's much better having artwork embedded in FLAC. It then shows up unaltered in full resolution. The HDMI output finally makes sense!

As only 20% of my library was imported from my PC, I now have roughly 800 albums to re-edit and re-import so that everything is clean.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You'ld better concentrate on how to get the information from zDB. At least, that is what I have in mind facing the task to rerip about 2000 cd's

Marc

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1980#post_22243562

You'ld better concentrate on how to get the information from zDB. At least, that is what I have in mind facing the task to rerip about 2000 cd's

Marc
That's the whole portability issue.

How can we use that zDB stuff to update FLAC tags? I doubt it will fix the issue with screwed artwork images.

I wouldn't rerip all those CD's since you get all the audio files from the backup HDD.

I would just update tags and artwork manually in JRiver (or any other metadata editor), remove the corresponding albums from the Olive and re-import updated FLAC files.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Great information, thanks. Not sure I understood what you meant by all FLAC tags are 'garbage' - does that imply all information is useless, or only the information that was modified via Maestro?

I have been slowly adding CD's to the 06HD, and the Ollve has had great success with perfect (as far I am concerned ) imports - artist, titles, artwork etc.

The recent software update 4.20 has worked very well - we have an 06HD at home and the 03HD at our summer cottage. I did the incremental update from the 06 (say 25 CD's worth) and did the restore to the 03HD. It did an incremental restore to the 03, which only took ~5 minutes. No issues. So, this is working out nicely. The 03HD is perfect for this -- no internet, no TV at the summer place; thems the rules.

This is a good time to expand one's library. Amazon is linked to so many used CD shops you can get just about anything for $3- or less. Throw in free shipping and this works well. I got a great Chris Isaac's CD for $0.25. Can't download for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1980#post_22251391

Not sure I understood what you meant by all FLAC tags are 'garbage' - does that imply all information is useless, or only the information that was modified via Maestro?

Imagine you rip a CD in the Olive and you let it populate metadata information from what it can find from freedb.

You realize afterwards that the information is incomplete or incorrect or that the artwork image is crap.

You do the necessary edits through Maestro and assume that your edits are persistent.

Wrong.

The information is stored in a central library file (to overcome the limitation with WAV files that can't have tags, as Marc pointed).

When the audio library is dumped out during backup and retreived through my method, you just get the FLAC tracks and NOT that central file.

At that point all your edits are lost.

Embedded inside FLAC metadata are the original feedb tags and some crappy artwork.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouquemoute  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1980#post_22251820

Imagine you rip a CD in the Olive and you let it populate metadata information from what it can find from freedb.

You realize afterwards that the information is incomplete or incorrect or that the artwork image is crap.

You do the necessary edits through Maestro and assume that your edits are persistent.

Wrong.

The information is stored in a central library file (to overcome the limitation with WAV files that can't have tags, as Marc pointed).

When the audio library is dumped out during backup and retreived through my method, you just get the FLAC tracks and NOT that central file.

At that point all your edits are lost.

Embedded inside FLAC metadata are the original feedb tags and some crappy artwork.

If it's a real backup, ALL the information should be there, or else the restore would fail. Now, as I have no HD-version and consequently not the benefits of the new backup/restore format, I can't be sure that you can have access to zDB from the backup
, but I'm quite sure your Olive can.

And with zDB and some knowledge of SQL you should be able to get ALL the data from it, just as the restore process of your Olive is able to.

Someone already posted some examples many pages back.

It is also not clear at all, for me at least, what the capabilities are of my next streamer (if any). So, I don't see why I should do any effort now to have the FLAC-files in top condition. Maybe the new streamer will have a similar approach to the ripping process, with a central database.

To NOT use maestro for editing the data poses me for the problem which other metadata editor I should use. That one should be able to split and combine albums, know of composers and compositions, and actually it should be able to prepare the import so, that I don't want to touch it with maestro afterwards.

Imho it makes more sense to me to try to decipher the structure of zDB, and nothing else.

I would applaud for anyone who figures this out. Hey, maybe Olive will.

Marc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Someone here that wants to sell his or her old Olive (Opus) 4? Not the HD-version. I have a friend here in Holland who wants to start with a streamer, and i guess there are many not-used Olive 4's in the world.

Please PM me, and I will bring you in contact.

Marc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sigh... again:

fsck /dev/sdc5

'fsck' uit util-linux 2.20.1

e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)

/dev/sdc5: herstellen van journal...

Wissen van verweesde inode 15764 (uid=99, gid=99, mode=0100644, size=0)

Wissen van verweesde inode 15763 (uid=99, gid=99, mode=0100644, size=0)

Wissen van verweesde inode 15762 (uid=99, gid=99, mode=0100600, size=4194304)

/dev/sdc5: schoon, 1359/125696 bestanden, 10073/251007 blokken

I just edited some track titles, that's all.

Result: empty library

Again: anyone who wants to sell his Olive 4??

Marc

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just received my Olive 04HD the other day and have a couple of questions regarding its setup that I cant seem to figure out (manual is pretty damn skimpy), hoping I can get some quick answers here rather than try Support?

-First, the player will play a CD fine through my Onkyo 1009 connected with digital coaxe but when I try to play the hi-rez files included on the unit they play but no audio comes out?

-Tried using the HDMI output (through receiver set to "through" and "source" as well as directly to my Pioneer plasma) and get no output signal either way, can toggle back to the units screen no problem but I'm sure no processing is being done on the signal after it comes out?

-Lastly, the Internet part of the Networking functions are "unavailable", I followed their setup info on site and manually entered DNS, Gateway etc but same result, it does seem to recognize the Wifi though. I will be setting up a new better router tomorrow so hoping that solves it but am dubious\?

Thanks in advance fellas, any help / suggestions with the above will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinga233  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1980#post_22263869

Hi Guys,

Just received my Olive 04HD the other day and have a couple of questions regarding its setup that I cant seem to figure out (manual is pretty damn skimpy), hoping I can get some quick answers here rather than try Support?

1 -First, the player will play a CD fine through my Onkyo 1009 connected with digital coaxe but when I try to play the hi-rez files included on the unit they play but no audio comes out?

2 -Tried using the HDMI output (through receiver set to "through" and "source" as well as directly to my Pioneer plasma) and get no output signal either way, can toggle back to the units screen no problem but I'm sure no processing is being done on the signal after it comes out?

3 -Lastly, the Internet part of the Networking functions are "unavailable", I followed their setup info on site and manually entered DNS, Gateway etc but same result, it does seem to recognize the Wifi though. I will be setting up a new better router tomorrow so hoping that solves it but am dubious\?

Thanks in advance fellas, any help / suggestions with the above will be greatly appreciated!!

Ad 1: Your Onkyo must be capable to play high-res files. Maybe it's only fitted for cd-resolution.

Ad 3: Did you give the Olive an ip address from your home network? Something like 192.178.1.x? Anyway, it should work properly if you let it get it's address automaticaly from your router, if that is configured properly.

Ad 2: Dunno. Me poor Olive 4 user

Marc

1981 - 2000 of 3960 Posts