AVS Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 3927 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

As I aspected:

Confusion concerning the 4HD

Olive support told me some weeks ago, the new iOS (f.e. on an iPad) will be able to communicate with my old 4HD.

Yesterday Olive suport told me, it works with 4HD but only with the new one.

The great new world with better apps and something is not avaiable for the true blue old customers. They have to struggle with the old absurd software and the old smartphone app which was updated once in 2.5 years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If that is true I'll never buy Olive again. Was thinking of getting an Olive One but this will be off the shopping list if support for the 'old' 4HD is already going down the pan. Selling an expensive device with proprietary back-up system and then dumping it within a couple of years is NOT good marketing. Let's hope Olive relent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question on the 2010-2012 generation of Olive 03/04HD...

Is there a way to edit FLAC metadata natively within the Olive, and push the edited information onto the Olive's native database for it to show up in the Olive user interfaces (i.e. Maestro, the touchscreen, iPhone app)?

Or is the only way to do this is maintain an offline master database of FLAC files and then either stream or import them into the Olive?

My major frustration is the Olive's inability to rip CD compilations natively in a way that allows you to browse by "album artist".

What I have discovered is that if you import FLAC files with "album artist" metadata into the Olive, these appear listed as a "composer" within the Olive's native database, which you can then browse. Problem solved!

However I purchased the Olive specifically to make the CD ripping process easier. This means I would have to export the ripped FLAC files to my PC, edit the metadata, then import back in to the Olive. Pain in the ass!

I don't mind the Olive utilizing a proprietary database to anchor its user interfaces, but it really needs to cross-reference and update the FLAC metada periodically if not dynamically (say, when the unit goes to sleep...)

My two cents... still figuring out the best way to manage the growing library of FLAC files ripped to my Olive. Maestro pretty much sucks. Media Monkey is the only other program I have used with success on my PC to "stream" into the Olive's native databse. But you can't really do anything except view and play files.

What programs / approaches are people using with success?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have a 03hd my question is what Internet stations can be added and how do you add them. From my understanding many are not supported.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi, my olive 04hd after playing some minutes, the music plays with glitches and the screen frozen.

The fw version is 4.3.0

Anyone may know what be happening.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I received my 03 yesterday and I am finding it a nightmare, not user friendly. The internet radio sucks, the uploading, screen freeze all very tedious.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Helo dear Olive lovers, eh... haters.

Anyone with a nice story to tell?

Oh well, maybe I find some time this afternoon in midst of my steady and ongoing building at my music library, to answer some of you.

Meanwhile, anyone else is invited!

Yours

Happy O Live Opus 4 user

Marc

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/2160#post_22735737

Hi, my olive 04hd after playing some minutes, the music plays with glitches and the screen frozen.

The fw version is 4.3.0

Anyone may know what be happening.

Thanks

I'm very dissapointed wth my olive,i can barely play music with my olive.

i can't believe that a 2000 Eur device could had this behaviour.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/2160#post_22736823

I'm very dissapointed wth my olive,i can barely play music with my olive.

i can't believe that a 2000 Eur device could had this behaviour.

Of course you are disappointed, your Olive is broken, kaduuk, not functioning properly. Go back to your dealer, ask for another or your money back.

M
rc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/2160#post_22724976

Can you Stream MOG with the Olive 03HD??

MOG????

Never heard of it, but investigating it, it looks like another spotify service.
https://mog.com/

To me it says that it is not available in my country yet.

So, I dunno.

M
rc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m3rson  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/2160#post_22733365

Question on the 2010-2012 generation of Olive 03/04HD...

What programs / approaches are people using with success?

For >3 years now: rip it on the Olive, edit it with Maestro, play it with Maestro, or Opus, or directly, or with the App, and studying Sqlite3.

I'm not a fan of Meastro, but at least it works for me, being myself a bit lazy and slow.

Quote:
What I have discovered is that if you import FLAC files with "album artist" metadata into the Olive, these appear listed as a "composer" within the Olive's native database, which you can then browse. Problem solved!

That's not problem solved, that's a problem by itself. These guys are no composers.

I'm still figuring out how to get rid of them.

M
rc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hi,

I have given myself a Christmas present in the form of a Samsung tablet. It runs Android 4, and for some stupid reasons I thought that the Olive App would be available for newer androids than I have on my phone, but, guess what, I could not find it in the Google Play store. Really?

I saw meself already sitting on the couch playing whit the big Olive App on my big tablet screen, but err, no?!?

Someone here with a more juicy experience?

Anyway, Maestro and Olive_opus are there, but the App?

Meanwhile, I wish you all a very happy Christmas time an a gorgeous New Year!

M
rc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Radiostations are easiest added in your browser, with Olive_opus

In your browser: http://your ip-address/olive_opus.php

Then, goto internet radio -> Add New Station.

First enter the name that you find useful, after that give the internet-address

For instance, I found these links for our Dutch public radio-streams:
http://content1b.omroep.nl/63abac6fb80ffb2978334dcc03d8f034/50d994d8/portal/OmroepNLdownload/NPOAudiostreams.pdf

For Radio2 NL

the address is:
http://icecast.omroep.nl/radio2-bb-mp3

In opus you can click the characters and ciffers, it is a bit tedious, but it works. After SAVE you have to give it a genre from the list.

You will find your self-added station in the favourites section.

Now you only have to find the links for your radio station!

BTW I found the app for my new tablet, here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=olive.app

M
rc

·
Super Moderator
21,380 Posts
Happy Holidays to all

Our house was heavily damaged by Hurricane Sandy and we were forced to evacuate on October 29

we just moved back in upstairs while repairs continue downstairs: still have several more weeks until the entire house is fixed

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi everyone,

I have an olive 4HD for years.

works fine doing its digital output to feed my dac.

for a week now olive is stuck on "wait system is starting up",

-i tryed the recovery cd method, does not work.

-I tryed the usb stick method , does not work ,(holding both keys doesn't do nothing)

then I open it, pluged the hd to my computer, there is 2 operating systems on the disk, one with boot flag( but doesnt boot)

when changing boot flag to the other OS.It doesnt boot either.

does any one have an idea?

mery xmas to all.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have asked Olive if the 'old' Opus 4 will get any updates anymore or not.

Not to my surprise the answer is no.

To my surprise the reason is the limited hardware.

In my opinion they never made a more musical capable device as the Opus 4.

A friend of mine, who heard my Olive, bought himself an 03HD, but he was disappointed.

I bought a Cambridge Dacmagic which now seldom is switched on. The internal sound chip suffices for a gorgeous 3D and live experience.

Hence I call my Olive my O Live.

It goes far beyond hifi.

Good luck to you all

Marc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
@gc

Most likely the 5. partition is damaged. With fsck, which is chkdsk in dos/windos speak, you can repair that

fsck sd?5, with the correct letter, a b c... for '?'

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
@numsoft

I have repaired the 5 partition with gparted, there was lots of issues.

But infortunatly olive still doesn't boot.

Any other idea?

A someone has a cloned disk of the system partitions?

2181 - 2200 of 3927 Posts