AVS Forum banner

3881 - 3900 of 3910 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
Greatings from Hungary.
This is my first post here, but I’ve read almost the whole forum during the years.
I have two Olive 4HD, and one Olive 4 (Opus).
If I remember well, 5 years ago many of the members of the forum reported, that the internet became “unavailable” in their Olives. That time I haven’t realised this kind of problem. The Internet radio worked flawlessly.
The problems started only two years ago - the pre-set Internet radio stations disappeared from listing, but according the posts, it was a common problem. But probably not for everybody, because one year ago, I’ve bought my second 4HD, which still had the pre-set stations – until now. How could it be possible?
But a few days ago, realised that the Internet became “unavailable”, and the internet radio disappeared from all of my Olives.
What happened now? What was changed? Is there an easy way to repair the Internet radio? (I’m not very familiar with Linux)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I'm new to the forum.

I have an original Olive Opus (500GB - black and white screen) that is stuck on the initial Olive start up screen. I'm unable to find my Recovery CD as the box with the Recovery CD for my unit was destroyed during Hurricane Irma.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction where I can download the correct Recovery CD? It looks like many of the Recovery CD's online are for new models.

Thanks in advance!

Mac

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi, I’ve owned an Olive 03HD since 2010-2011, and I haven’t had any problem with it, I used to have problems when I left it on standby the first year or so, but after that, I always turn it off with the Switch in the back, and haven’t had a single problem with it. I know it will die eventually, but so far it’s been working, it has the 4.2.0 version, and can’t update online now. Is it worth it to do a manual update? Or I leave I alone if I don’t have any problem? I’ve heard that you can use the USB port as digital out if you update?

I know most people have moved on from these players, and that my main question, is there anything out there that’s like this Olive? That has a CD drive for ripping, and integrated HDD, or you can add an external HDD with ease, and serves as a Music server with preferably a screen? And it’s about the same price($1,000 USD) or even better, cheaper?

I know I can build a music server with a small computer, but I want a turnkey solution, like the Olive. I haven’t been following the audiophile scene for years.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to put an SSD in the Olive 04HD

Hello There,

Can someone explain me how to put a new SSD in the Olive 04HD please.
The olive is working just fine, but i think it is time to change the old HDD.
No back-up needed, i have al the music on the pc.
Thank you in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Olive 04HD fault firmware how to instal new soft ?

Hey
please help me to repair the software in :frown: my friend downloaded the wrong software and hung the device.
how to upload new dedicated software. Now the device is hanging on the LOGO.
in the photo attachment
Please answer
Regards Michał

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
External USB DAC working?

For Christmas I attempted to upgrade my Olive 03HD (firmware 4.3.2, unit purchased Nov-2012) with an external DAC via USB.

The Schiit Modi 3 would not recognize the digital audio out. Re-plugged and power-cycled both the Olive and Schiit many times hoping they would handshake, but no luck. With the Schiit connected to the Olive via USB, the Olive would play with nothing connected to the RCA jacks, but I heard no audio from the Schiit, but interestingly if I unplugged the Schiit, the track would stop and the Olive would reset to the album track list. So the Olive knew the Schiit was there, but just wouldn't talk to it. FWIW, I did confirm the Modi works via TOSLINK with an Apple Express.

Are there any other make/models of external USB DACs that people have tried and confirmed to work? I've seen reviews claiming the Cambridge Audio (Azur) DacMagic is compatible, but not read that anyone has tried it successfully. Thus, here is the definitive list!

WORKS
Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic - REPORTEDLY, NEED CONFIRMATION

DOESNT WORK
Schiit Modi 3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Marc - just reading this thread. I do have the updates for the various HD models still saved. 4.3.2 if memory serves.
If someone needs them, set up a drop box or similar so I can up load them. File size is about 2 GB.
Dear CL Petersen,

I am a owner of 06HD. As I know that you are a senior member of Olive HD forum, do you still have the software ver 4.3.2 and firmware 3.0 for 06HD? If they are still available, would you please upload the files to my NAS (Please sent me a private message, then I will let you know the details). Many many thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Request for the latest SW and FW for Olive 06HD

Hi Marc - just reading this thread. I do have the updates for the various HD models still saved. 4.3.2 if memory serves.
If someone needs them, set up a drop box or similar so I can up load them. File size is about 2 GB.
Hi Petersen,

Since I am a new member, I can't sent you a private message until my post count must be 15 or greater.:frown:. Would you please sent me your email address to chan_garyhk at yahoo dot come.
Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
searching for compatible DACs in year 2020

For Christmas I attempted to upgrade my Olive 03HD (firmware 4.3.2, unit purchased Nov-2012) with an external DAC via USB.

The Schiit Modi 3 would not recognize the digital audio out. Re-plugged and power-cycled both the Olive and Schiit many times hoping they would handshake, but no luck. With the Schiit connected to the Olive via USB, the Olive would play with nothing connected to the RCA jacks, but I heard no audio from the Schiit, but interestingly if I unplugged the Schiit, the track would stop and the Olive would reset to the album track list. So the Olive knew the Schiit was there, but just wouldn't talk to it. FWIW, I did confirm the Modi works via TOSLINK with an Apple Express.

Are there any other make/models of external USB DACs that people have tried and confirmed to work? I've seen reviews claiming the Cambridge Audio (Azur) DacMagic is compatible, but not read that anyone has tried it successfully.
Found this in the What Hi-Fi forums:

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM OLIVE MEDIA INC.
"Dear WhatHiFi Forum members,
please let me clarify the questions surrounding the support of USB DACs with our Olive O3HD. Hopefully this will clear up the miscommunication in earlier threads. The O3HD is compatible with all USB 1.1 asynchronous USB DACs/Speakers which use a generic USB 1.1 protocol (up to 24bit/96kHz). Known working devices are for example the Rega DAC and the pro-ject USB DAC."

OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM HENLEY DESIGNS (which distributed the Olive 03HD in the UK)

"The 3HD does have digital out and this function is downloaded in the latest update. It’s USB1 and, not surprisingly, there are a few compatibility issues with some DACs on the market.vDue to the diversity of the issues and the number of DACs that are on the market, Olive HQ has decided not to promote the fact that it has digital out via the USB port as they are unable to support the vast number of DACs where they have no control over the protocols used. However, Henley is happy to support all our customers and will endeavour to assist wherever possible."

I found the Shanling DAC-50 also named as compatible in a separate post by Henley Audio. Nine years ago, these were all expensive DACs. With technical advancements, let's look for modern entry-level HiFi DACs. The key compatibility criteria seem to be:

- Asynchronous USB DAC
- Linux "driverless" compatible
- USB 1.1 protocol
- USB audio class 1 (UAC1)

$99 SCHIIT MODI / MODI 2 - The original Modi and Modi 2 (toggle version, not the Uber) reportedly match the USB protocol, but both units are discontinued. Review of Schiit's cryptic literature acknowledges spotty support for Linux. Modi 3 did not work in my field test. Sourcing a used generation 1 or 2 model seems like a risk.

$80 / $150 GRACE DESIGNS SDAC / SDAC-BALANCED - Technical literature a bit fuzzy, but these two units appear to check all the boxes up to 24 bit/96 kHz. I emailed Grace Designs who confirmed it is USB 1.1 protocol compatible. Good reports of a neutral tone, and a budget Hi-Fi fan favorite. Low risk purchase, as these have good re-sell value.

$199 CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DACMAGIC 100 - Technical literature confirms it checks all the boxes up to 24-bit/96kHz. This unit has been around since the Olive O3HD was for sale, comes from a very reputable manufacturer, and vendors suggest it as a pairing. The tonality of this DAC, however, is geared towards classical music and could be a down-grade from the Cirrus DAC onboard the Olive if you listen to all genres, particularly the more modern electronic. Worth a demo from your local dealer.

$280 HENRY AUDIO USB DAC 128 MK III - Review of Henry's generously detailed technical literature shows that it checks all the compatibility boxes. An email to them reveals that it "has been designed to work with USB 1.1 with sample rates up to 48ksps", and the literature does indeed say it supports up to 24 bit / 48ksps in UAC1. Reviews of this DAC in the European press are excellent. For those focused on Redbook and the like, this is a very promising option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HDD replacement with SSD and Radio Station removal

Keep enjoying my Olive O3HD for 7 years with no big issues, fortunately. Bugs and some glitches that eventually appeared I was able to solve them through this forum /many thanks), Lydo web page and John Ehringer web page.
Meanwhile I’ve some questions, maybe someone could help me:

1) Does the Olive 3HD/4HD/6HD support the replacement of the original HDD with a SSD (1 TB)? (I was told that the power supply within Olive will not have enough current for a SSD drive…);

2) How to delete radio stations added? (It there a way to go there by SSH and simple change the files);

3) What is the syntax for radio stations? (I tried mms: and doesn’t work]?

4) I’ve use an external DAC from Nuforce model DAC-9 with an USB connection. Supposedly the USB 1.1 could handle 24bit @ 96Khz. However, when I try to play anything different then 16 bit @ 44.1 KHz, the digital stream is not send through the USB connection, but it’s internally decoded at the Olive DAC and I can only get sound via the analog RCA outs. Is there any way to force the stream through the USB connection (at least at the limit for the 1.1 protocol)?

5) It’s possible to install any software to get Tidal or Spotify access?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
With my Olive 4's I have some experience regarding your questions.

1) Don't know if an SSD will fit. I do have replaced the 1TB hard drive with a 2TB one, but it involved getting the Olive 4-software on it (with a provided rescue-disk), and consequently restoring the the music. An SDD-drive is quiet, but hard drives can be very quiet too.

2) and 3) Radiostations: with ssh login:
ssh [email protected]
password: tj270442

Then find the file radiostation.xml. A radiostation looks like this:

AVRO Klassiek Baroque
object.item.audioItem.radioItem
music
Classical

http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=412368

Take care of the numbering (ROOT_ALLIR_IRx), maybe it should be consecutive
With my aged Olives radio stations don't sound very good, and with my Raspberries I get much better results.

4) I have tried a simple USB-dac but I got no sound from it. Maybe that is because of the format used, I don't know. Now I have a better dac and with SP/Dif the sound is ok.

5) Never tried Tidal or Spotify. Again, a raspberry is much better suited for this.

In my experience, the Olive 4 is great for cd-format sound, ok for high-res sound (via the external dac), but not so well geared for other tasks.

Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
MMany thanks for your help!

I'll try the HDD replacement with a 1TB SDD from Samsung. Later I'll post the results.

Nevertheless this investment, I really like Olive 3HD, when it appeared some years ago it was really a flagship product. If the brand had further improved the software, it could still perfect able as a music server!

The only problem till now, are the audible gaps with reproduction from the NAS server, especially with HiRes files (24 bit @ 96Khz / 192kHz). Maybe it’s due to my WD Mycloud 3TB weak performance. However, I also use the WD Mycloud to send music files and videos files to other devices (Android Box), mobile) and the reproduction is more reliable. Thus, for HiRes audio, the better is to store the HiRes audio files inside the Olive. Further improvement is expected from a SDD drive.

I’m much temped to build a music streamer/transport based on Raspberry Pi platform. As I’ve an external DAC from Nuforce model DAC-9 (which really makes a big difference compared to Olive internal DAC), I’ll assemble only the modules to make it work as a transport of music files. I’ll then add a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro module, as for music software I’ll try the native HiFiBerry OS, Volumio and, later, the Roon (there so many alternatives, just want a clean way to play music from my NAS and add some streaming music too: Spotify, Tidal, whatever). All my music collection in now on a NAS server (almost everything converted to FLAC).

Maybe later I’ll convert the CDs to WAV, as for the Olive 3HD there is a difference in sound comparing the reproduction of the same track in the two formats. Don’t really understand the reason, but WAV files sound better (full bodied).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Indeed, do try to play music from inside the Olive. With a NAS there is too much involved to hear the music. I also have an (aged) NAS, but I quited to play music from it. (Way back I started to rip all my cd's to this NAS, only to discover that I got a mess of unrelated tracks).
I choose the Olive because it was capable of organizing classical music in the proper way. But a raspberry is indeed much better for other tasks. I love them both in their own right.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yeah, no dice. I checked their already.

I wonder if the SWUpdate.tar for a 04HD will work? It does have a new software tar file available.

Thanks for the link Mumsoft.

If you mean: https://www.lydo.nl/download/?dir=Olive/O4HD
you can try that for an 04HD, but you asked software for an 06HD, right? I don't have those machines, so, I don't know if these files are good, but the source is ok imho. And GJ was so kind to collect them all from the Olive company.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you mean: https://www.lydo.nl/download/?dir=Olive/O4HD
you can try that for an 04HD, but you asked software for an 06HD, right? I don't have those machines, so, I don't know if these files are good, but the source is ok imho. And GJ was so kind to collect them all from the Olive company.
Yes, indeed. 😉

What I’m trying to sift out is this: Are the SWUpdate.tar files the same for the same family of Olive Music Players, ie. 03, 04, 04HD, 06HD?

·
Registered
183 Posts
BTW, just tried to update the software on my 06HD but no go.

Prerequisites Met
4GB Sandusky Cruzer Micro USB Stick
Format: FAT32 (formatted with the program FAT32 Format (ie. guiformat.exe) by Ridgeway Consultants)
Contents on Card: SWUpdate.tar
Drive Letter: U

3881 - 3900 of 3910 Posts