AVS Forum banner

3941 - 3960 of 3960 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, I disabled and enabled SMB 1, tried all your tips still no go, will try with an older computer. Could you point me in a direction with SSH! Much appreciated!
For SSH on olive, see the lydo website. For SSH in general, see the world wide web. And I am not even sure if this would work. I need to find some time to dig into this, but that could take some weeks, sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Pablovi, I've tried out your files to update fw version from 0.0 to 3.0, thanks for sharing but my O4hd remain with fw0.0 altough the update seems to end successfully, so it say on display, can you give me any advise? Thank you
No, sorry, those were not my files, I was just hosting them. And have never used them. I never updated my Olive, I was too afraid it would just stop working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Updating the touchscreen to Firmware v3.0 still works and is not reliant on the Olive site. Today I took the plunge having relied on Firmware v2.0 on my O3HD for 9 years. First I unplugged all cables except the power cord, so there was no network connection throughout. After each of the following steps I power-cycled the unit (de-energized 2-3 minutes to discharge all capacitors):

Step 1 - Restored via manufacturer instruction (special key press followed by plugging in a USB FAT32 stick loaded with the factory restore files). All music was wiped from the Olive, but I had already backed it up (multiple ways to do that... PM if advice is needed). Waited...

Step 2 - Updated Software to v4.3.2 via manufacturer instruction (plugged in a USB FAT32 stick with the factory update file and followed the menu prompts). I discovered this was needed after Step 1 reverted my unit to v4.3.0. Waited...

Step 3 - Configured Default Settings via the Olive touchscreen menu. Waited...

Step 4 - Backed up the drive via manufacturer instruction (plugged in a USB FAT32 500 GB hard drive, then followed menu prompts). Long wait... (This step was unnecessary, but allows me to wipe all music in the future without having to do a restore.)

Step 5 - Updated Firmware to v3.0 via manufacturer instruction (special key press). Waited...

firm1.jpg firm2.jpg firm3.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Updating the touchscreen to Firmware v3.0 still works and is not reliant on the Olive site. Today I took the plunge having relied on Firmware v2.0 on my O3HD for 9 years. First I unplugged all cables except the power cord, so there was no network connection throughout. After each of the following steps I power-cycled the unit (de-energized 2-3 minutes to discharge all capacitors):

Step 1 - Restored via manufacturer instruction (special key press followed by plugging in a USB FAT32 stick loaded with the factory restore files). All music was wiped from the Olive, but I had already backed it up (multiple ways to do that... PM if advice is needed). Waited...

Step 2 - Updated Software to v4.3.2 via manufacturer instruction (plugged in a USB FAT32 stick with the factory update file and followed the menu prompts). I discovered this was needed after Step 1 reverted my unit to v4.3.0. Waited...

Step 3 - Configured Default Settings via the Olive touchscreen menu. Waited...

Step 4 - Backed up the drive via manufacturer instruction (plugged in a USB FAT32 500 GB hard drive, then followed menu prompts). Long wait... (This step was unnecessary, but allows me to wipe all music in the future without having to do a restore.)

Step 5 - Updated Firmware to v3.0 via manufacturer instruction (special key press). Waited...

View attachment 3095464 View attachment 3095466 View attachment 3095467
Hi, firmware upgrade of display works only on o4HD? I tried on O6HD nav up and FF button on powered up and started olive O6HD and nothing ...
And I have some issues with o4hd and O6HD , maybe something with cmos batery. When you power in random times the firmware version, software version not visible, network cant be saved (save error), date cant be set (save error) when you power off olive want to check hard drive and i can skip this "N" times (no number on the screen) after answer yes only please wait and nothing happens. But when i open settings -about my olive and firmware and software version is there olive works fine. I try this with and without cmos batery. And starting without cmos batery have a 1970 date, after factory reset (settings-services-default settings) i have 2011 .I change the batery and the same, and i tried use it without baterry. Can somebody help with this problem ? Thanks and sorry for my english.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you saying you tried the firmware update on an O4HD and O6HD and it failed? The process I described was on an O3HD model manufactured ~2012 running software v4.3.2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I just purchased a second hand Olive 06HD but can't get any internet connection. Not wireless and not wired. I understand that the problem is that the Olive website is down... and as it looks it is for sale. Because of this I can't get any album artwork, no internet radio and also will not gat any updates. How can I fix this issue without knowledge of the device and Linus. I do have a Mac and a Windows 10 PC available.

Best regards from Thailand
Erwin

·
Registered
112 Posts
What would be a good replacment for the Olive 6HD especially with the sound.
I only had an 04HD, and never listened to the 6. But I replaced mine with a Raspberry Pi 4 with Volumio and a USB external DAC(SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk II). And it sounds a lot better than the Olive. And it has all the functions including CD ripping, if you add an external USB CD writer with its power adapter. The Volumio interface is a lot newer and better than the Olive one, and it includes Quoboz and Tidal integration. It supports all the codecs if your DAC does. And you can even send music to a lot of devices via UPNP, DNLA, AirPlay, Chromecast, etc. With the add on free plugins.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I only had an 04HD, and never listened to the 6. But I replaced mine with a Raspberry Pi 4 with Volumio and a USB external DAC(SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk II). And it sounds a lot better than the Olive. And it has all the functions including CD ripping, if you add an external USB CD writer with its power adapter. The Volumio interface is a lot newer and better than the Olive one, and it includes Quoboz and Tidal integration. It supports all the codecs if your DAC does. And you can even send music to a lot of devices via UPNP, DNLA, AirPlay, Chromecast, etc. With the add on free plugins.
Is this Primo you are talking about? Volumio - Primo

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is this Primo you are talking about? Volumio - Primo
You can buy that, or build one yourself, with a Raspberry Pi 4. And an external DAC. Volumio is the software interface.

If you want something more expensive you can get ROON, they sell a ROON Nucleus, ready for playing, just connect an external or internal HDD with your music. But it’s very expensive. Roon Nucleus - The Roon Music Server Built for Sound Quality

You can build a ROON server with NUC and other computers yourself. But you still have to pay the subscription or lifetime license.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for your reply Pablovi, I couldnt build one myself as i only have the use of one hand. The Roon is expensive however how would it compare with sound wise with the Primo? I am also looking at getting my Olive repaired i know a place that can do it but it will depend on if it needs parts hopefully it will be something simple that dosent need spare parts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for your reply Pablovi, I couldnt build one myself as i only have the use of one hand. The Roon is expensive however how would it compare with sound wise with the Primo? I am also looking at getting my Olive repaired i know a place that can do it but it will depend on if it needs parts hopefully it will be something simple that dosent need spare parts.
Building it is not laborious, just getting everything out of the boxes and screw 4 screws, that’s it. Other than that is just flashing the micro SD card setting it up.

The sound quality is the same or some people say Volumio could be even better, it depends on your system and DAC.
ROON is popular for its interface, it’s the best out there. It’s like reading a music magazine, it gives you the album, artist, etc information, and gives you suggestions based on that, genre, etc... it’s amazing for its interface. Volumio doesn’t gives you info at all, or just a few lines of text. ROON is apparently more stable, for what they charge, it better be!

I haven’t used the Primo, but Volumio has its quirks and problems. Sometimes you just need a reboot and that’s it, sometimes you need a fresh install. And Volumio by itself is not a server, rather a player. But it has plugins to set up an LMS server and squeezeelite player, that’s why I use to use it as my main server. And it serves everything in my house with music, my stereo system, my multichannel system, wifi speakers, and iPhones and iPads. But you do need to know a bit about setting up networks, network storages, basic servers, etc...

That’s why I recommend Volumio, you just have to buy a Raspberry Pi 4, the heat sink case and an external USB DAC To try it, the software it’s free. So you’ll spend around 200 USD and see if you can set it up, and if it works for you. If not you can always sell those things back and you’ll only lose 50 USD or less. I’m sure you can even buy the RPi 4 with a FLIRC case already put together. This is a good package to start. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QQ5KY1...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This is the external USB DAC I use. https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Sanskri...id=1621646618&sprefix=Smsl+san,aps,215&sr=8-2

Here is a guide

Or you can buy a bundle with a DAC built on top here. Shop | HiFiBerry

If you go the Raspberry Pi route, you need an RPI 4 if you plan to use an external DAC, and it needs to be USB. Only on the RPI 4 the USB has its own power source and doesn’t share it with the network port.

With ROON you’ll need a NUC or a Mac Mini, or something similar, which are way more expensive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Yamaha AV so i wont need to buy a DAC. I will send the Olive first to see if it can be repaired if not i will buy a pi.
I don’t think your AV will accept a digital signal from USB. So, get a DAC or get a Hifiberry RPi with a DAC. Good luck with anything you choose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Yamaha AV so i wont need to buy a DAC. I will send the Olive first to see if it can be repaired if not i will buy a pi.
Never mind my previous post, I think you can use HDMI out of the RPi 4. But have never tried it, and I don’t know if it changes the sound from USB. But you can try it.

3941 - 3960 of 3960 Posts