AVS Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 3947 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanuel /forum/post/20803526

Hmm....that's strange. Did You find it on the official android market? Cause I tried to type olive but still nothing shows up:-/

Well, I would call thát strange. When I search for Olive, it finds 332 results. I just start the market and klick the searchbutton
. Type Olive and again hit the

But maybe your version of Android is not supported?

Marc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh yeah, by nothing shows up I mean the olive app. I do get hundred of results for other things but not the olive app. I have the newest android - gingerbread so don't see why it wouldn't be supported by olive

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanuel /forum/post/20805427

Oh yeah, by nothing shows up I mean the olive app. I do get hundred of results for other things but not the olive app. I have the newest android - gingerbread so don't see why it wouldn't be supported by olive

Just ask Olive then. My version of Android is 'extremely' old (2.1)

Marc

·
Registered
9 Posts
How to back up your music in its native format from Olive

Apologies if this has been posted before. I haven't gone back and read the 20 pages since I last tried to solve this problem. It is possible that this issue has long been resolved, but I know it was a big deal to me, so I thought I'd post it here:

Like many of you, I have long been concerned that once my music was on my Olive (any version) it was lost to me if anything happened to the device/company etc...

There was a posting some time ago that showed how to access the files, but they tended to come through as unrecognizable folders. I don't know about you, but I have about 675 albums on my Olive!

Fortunately I have finally found a solution. It's here:

Step 1. Pick up and plug in an empty portable hard drive.

Step 2. I downloaded and installed a program called XBMC (which I think stands for X-box Media Player). It's open source software aimed at the X-Box users to bring all their media data together under one UI.

Step 3. XBMC opens up to a pretty slick interface. Along the left hand side are options: Weather, Pictures, Music, Videos etc... Move the cursor over the System option.

Step 4. Under System, you will see a small faint arrow pointing to the right. This indicates a pull-out menu. Move your cursor right to see the pull-out menu and select File Manager.

Step 5. The screen should now look now like a big cog with two menus; one on the left, one on the right. Beginning with the left, select Add Source. By selecting Browse, you should be able to see your Olive named in the file structure. Select it. Do the same on the right side, but this time browse to your external hard drive (or to where ever you are storing the data).

Step 6. Double click on your Olive Name. You should see a list beginning with two dots, followed by Album, Artist etc... One click selects the option, two clicks digs into it.

Step 7. At this stage you can right click on an option, and you will have the ability to copy. If you choose copy at this time, it moves the file from the left side (your Olive) to the right (your hard drive). Alternatively, you can double click on Album or Artist, and you will dig further in to your Olive. At that point you can select several, or all of the albums/artists/playlists, right click, and copy to the drive.

That's it! I moved all my material onto a backup drive that does not require Olive to read it (I can read it in any computer).

Cautionary notes:

The new file will be based on whatever option you chose. So choose wisely. I copied by individual albums, and while all the metadata is preserved (artist etc...), the file folders are all the album titles. I have been surprised to find out how many album names I was unable to identify until I opened the folder!

Artwork seems to be slightly less reliable, but it still comes through. I don't really know what the deal is here...

Bad tracks will stop the transfer cold. I had a handful across 675 albums, so I spent a few days selecting albums again and trying to copy smaller sized chunks. Unfortunately there is no shift-click to select a bunch of albums at once, so the process is a bit tedious. I typically just started the process and walked away (or went to bed). When it crashed, I simply looked to see how far it went, checked the individual album that was problematic, loaded it up separately, and then started a new batch of albums. It was not necessary to reload any albums already copied over.

That's it! Good luck.

Rhg

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanuel /forum/post/20625631

As well I must say I'm also a bit annoyed with Olives inability of letting me copy all the music I've imported in it into my computers hard drive. To think I have to do it all again is kind of a let down. I guess it's my fault, if I found out these details earlier I could've import all my cd's first to the computer and then copy from there to the Olive. But then what's the point of having a ripping device like that in the first place that is suppose to make it all easier?

But anyway, apart of that I'm very happy with it. Including the sound altho I'm not using any external dac.

Samanuel, see my previous post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
RHG3,

Thanks for suggesting the interesting possibility of retrieving files from the Olive system. But to the uninitiated, your instructions either leave out some steps or presume some connections that are not clear.

Plug what into what in step 1? Into the Olive? Into a computer connected to the Olive via ethernet cable?

I presume a computer figures in this process somewhere. How does the computer access the Olive?

Are you using a Mac, a Windows PC, Linux? How does the XMBC software find the Olive?

I'm anxious to try your method!

gm

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are right of course. This is why I don't write manuals!

I am using a PC. I don't think it matters. I plug the external hard drive into my PC, download the program (xbmc) and access the Olive via the wireless in my house. XBMC will see the Olive wirelessly at step 5.

R

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHG3 /forum/post/20822466

You are right of course. This is why I don't write manuals!

I am using a PC. I don't think it matters. I plug the external hard drive into my PC, download the program (xbmc) and access the Olive via the wireless in my house. XBMC will see the Olive wirelessly at step 5.

R

That's verrry interesting. I first thought that you used an Olive backup drive to get the music back from.

Just before your big post I had installed xbmc by coincidence...

Marc

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi, I've been reading this thread in search for info to buying an olive (03Hd/04 or 04HD) to replace my "apple tv music server", so i still have a few questions.

1) Is the cd player good as cambridge 840C?

2) Is the sound of a 04HD much be better than a 04 or 03HD?

3) Can the 04HD output from digital and analogue at same time?

4) Can the 04 play 24 bit files?

5) what are the major differences between 04 and 04HD, apart from storage?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl /forum/post/20833220

Hi, I've been reading this thread in search for info to buying an olive (03Hd/04 or 04HD) to replace my "apple tv music server", so i still have a few questions.

Thanks in advance.

1) Don't know. I don't see the Olive as a cd-player. I guess it is worse.

2) Should be. A decent audiphile will use an external dac with the 04, and so has more choice.

3) a 04 can do that, so why not a 04HD

4) Yes, only via the external DAC

5) Internal DAC. Price!

Someone with more experience with a 04HD might jump in.

Marc

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl /forum/post/0

I'm a 4HD owner and my answers are as follows:

R1.- There's no technical reason to suppose the 4HD is not a competent CD player even if compared to the Cambridge flagship CD player.

R2.- Not necessarily. Some people think the 4HD sounds better but the differences (if any) are very subtle. In any case this is just a matter of taste.

R3.- Yes. I'm currently using both outputs, one direct analog output to my processor and the digital one to a Music Hall DAC. It is almost impossible to notice the differences between these two connection modes. An external DAC usually has a hotter output than the 4HD and this may lead to erroneous conclusions.

R4.- Yes

R5.- The 4HD is technically better than the 3HD because it uses a better DAC. This does not mean it sounds "better" though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 /forum/post/20835476

I'm a 4HD owner and my answers are as follows:

R4.- Yes (well, kind of...)

FYI...

R4 - The Olive 4 will only do this with an external DAC. The internal DAC on the 4 will not play 24 bit files. I was the first one to discover this when I first got my Olive 4 several years ago, before I replaced it with the 4HD...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_mn /forum/post/20649023

Marc,

I have put the app at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32268221/OliveApp.apk

Let me know if you have trouble installing, I would put it out on the market site but it seems like a bit of work to make it market compliant.

Here is a description of how to install apk's in case you have not done this before. http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/in...es-on-android/

Once you have the app installed, make sure you have enabled Wifi on your phone, run the app and select the menu key to setup the IP address of the olive, restart the app and it should now be chatting with the Olive.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a hassle to install but it is free after all.

- Tom

Hi Tom,

Your app is not longer there?

The Olive App may be much more functional, but is seems to be not generally available. One can't share it with friends, and it is only available as download on the market. To me it is as closed as the Olive itself.

So, if you could republish your app, you would help some people that have no access to the market.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett /forum/post/20837186

FYI...

R4 - The Olive 4 will only do this with an external DAC. The internal DAC on the 4 will not play 24 bit files. I was the first one to discover this when I first got my Olive 4 several years ago, before I replaced it with the 4HD...

Actualy the 04HD still had many bugs, or the software is stabilized?

Is the storage in olive the weak piece?

I have to think well before pay 2000 Eur for this machine.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett /forum/post/0

FYI...

Thanks zbrett. I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl /forum/post/0

I have to think well before pay 2000 Eur for this machine.

2000 Euro?

I paid 2000 dollars for my 4HD!

Kcl, is this the 4HD MSRP over there at Europe or it's just the portuguese audio market that make it so expensive?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11
Thanks zbrett. I didn't know that.

2000 Euro?

I paid 2000 dollars for my 4HD!

Kcl, is this the 4HD MSRP over there at Europe or it's just the portuguese audio market that make it so expensive?
Its the audio gear that is imported from like the US that so expensive.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hede3 /forum/post/20841452

Its the audio gear that is imported from like the US that so expensive.

The MSRP in europe goes from 2500 and

2650 Eur. This is the best price that i can

Get.

So i must choose between the olive or

A atv 1 plus a Cambridge Audio 840c.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Its possible to conhect the USB output from olive 03hd to a dacmagic?

1501 - 1520 of 3947 Posts