AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 3961 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric KC /forum/post/22049647

Not to ignore this question, but I did receive a very thoughtful response from Olive. They speculated that this was a firmware issue. Apparently there is a new firmware release coming out within the next couple weeks.

Eric

Be curious to see what the next round of improvements are.

These machines are so complicated.

The ability to down load new firmware makes these machines much workable then the nightmare they potentially could be without it.

Naturally its better to have Olive work with the customer than fishing for answers on the internet. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi guys,

Any idea why my O4Hd is not loading any radiostations?

I' m connected to the internet and was always able to access hundreths of stations before.

Tim

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf62 /forum/post/22073086

hi guys,

I' m connected to the internet and was always able to access hundreths of stations before.

Tim

Tim, try to connect your Olive to the internet. Maybe it is more capable to access radio stations than you do.

(Sorry, I could not resist this. OT: maybe it's a firewall-issue)

Marc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf62 /forum/post/22073860

lol

assuming it has to do with firewall, where do I adjust that?

Tim

Just wait till other users of a HD-model have replied. Maybe it's a 4.2.0. issue, than others might have the same problem.

It can also be a block by your provider.

Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf62 /forum/post/22073086

hi guys,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Keep an eye out for a PM later.

Olive Care

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome to Olive Care!!!

I love my machine and starting to love the company. Great that they're getting involved in this major thread for Olive lovers.

They should be paying Marc for all his great advise over the last years

Tim

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf62 /forum/post/22086713

Welcome to Olive Care!!!

They should be paying Marc for all his great advise over the last years

Tim

Oh, no!

Then I would buy a 06HD and publish a way to open it.

Nevertheless thanks for the suggestion.

But I have offered to help with a Dutch language version, and despite all my efforts, it's not coming.

Yesterday I had some bad luck with one of my Olive Opus 4's. I ripped two cd's, when I started I saw a brief message for a short period, but I could not see what it said. That became clear when I feeded a third cd: it was the unfamous I/O error message. The screen became unresponsive, and I had to restart the Olive. That yielded in the please wait, the system is starting up - the white screen with the olive logo. It did not disappear.

I would be stuck if the unit could not be opened.

Anyway, I opened it, and took out the hard disk. Good chance that here the problem stemmed from. I mounted another disk, and the Olive started up again, but it had an outdated OS, and it was two or three months behind my riping efforts.

So, I had to repair the actual disk, to avoid a lengthy update process. As usual, all but the last partition on it had severe errors in the filesystem, that my linux system happily repaired. But the second partition showed very bad errors, which I did not see before. These were repaired too, but the disk still failed to start.

The disk has in partition 2 and 3 a version of the software, and one of them is the actual version, and the other is the previous version. When you update the system, it writes the new version in the unused, old, partition, and swaps the boot-process.

So, I swapped the Boot-flag of partition 2 to partition 3. But the disk did NOT start, much to my chagrin.

It was getting a sweaty afternoon.

Finally, I copied partition 3 to partition 2, and with the boot-flag still in partition 2, finally the Olive started again, with software release 4.1.8.

That could be updated, and so ended a dreary period in my Olive life.

What would the procedure have been, If I had to go to the dealer? What would I have to pay, how much time would have been lost, how sure could I have been that my backup could be restored?

Is everybody here happy with his closed Olive?

Marc

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft /forum/post/22089278

Oh, no!

Then I would buy a 06HD and publish a way to open it.

Nevertheless thanks for the suggestion.

But I have offered to help with a Dutch language version, and despite all my efforts, it's not coming.

Yesterday I had some bad luck with one of my Olive Opus 4's. I ripped two cd's, when I started I saw a brief message for a short period, but I could not see what it said. That became clear when I feeded a third cd: it was the unfamous I/O error message. The screen became unresponsive, and I had to restart the Olive. That yielded in the please wait, the system is starting up - the white screen with the olive logo. It did not disappear.

I would be stuck if the unit could not be opened.

Anyway, I opened it, and took out the hard disk. Good chance that here the problem stemmed from. I mounted another disk, and the Olive started up again, but it had an outdated OS, and it was two or three months behind my riping efforts.

So, I had to repair the actual disk, to avoid a lengthy update process. As usual, all but the last partition on it had severe errors in the filesystem, that my linux system happily repaired. But the second partition showed very bad errors, which I did not see before. These were repaired too, but the disk still failed to start.

The disk has in partition 2 and 3 a version of the software, and one of them is the actual version, and the other is the previous version. When you update the system, it writes the new version in the unused, old, partition, and swaps the boot-process.

So, I swapped the Boot-flag of partition 2 to partition 3. But the disk did NOT start, much to my chagrin.

It was getting a sweaty afternoon.

Finally, I copied partition 3 to partition 2, and with the boot-flag still in partition 2, finally the Olive started again, with software release 4.1.8.

That could be updated, and so ended a dreary period in my Olive life.

What would the procedure have been, If I had to go to the dealer? What would I have to pay, how much time would have been lost, how sure could I have been that my backup could be restored?

Is everybody here happy with his closed Olive?

Marc

so how easy was it to change the hard drive? Anything special to it?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yesterday i was so brave to rename my sub-genre Medieval to Old Music, expecting to say goodbye to my Olive for all the time that it would take. I could vividly remember the agony that renaming Chambermusic to kamermuziek had caused. It took several days then!

Again, I took the plunge... and was up-and-running a few minutes later.

Maybe the number of tracks was much smaller this time, but I reckon Olive have changed that.

Marc

·
Registered
903 Posts
A simple maybe silly question: if in the future i will upgrade to a new model (ex 06) from my 04hd, will i be able to import my 04hd backup into the new unit?

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1950#post_22102041

A simple maybe silly question: if in the future i will upgrade to a new model (ex 06) from my 04hd, will i be able to import my 04hd backup into the new unit?

Yes: I upgraded from 04HD to 06HD and did the backup myself: ran into a few problems but that was with earlier firmware: the backup process with the new firmware seems much better

alternately Olive will do the backup for you but that means sending your old unit in and waiting 1-2 weeks for the new unit

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Maybe this message from Olive causes some confusion in this regard:

Incremental backup functionality is now available (creating incremental backups will only be possible with one Olive server).

Marc

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft  /t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/1950#post_22102078

Maybe this message from Olive causes some confusion in this regard:

Incremental backup functionality is now available (creating incremental backups will only be possible with one Olive server).

Marc

seems like a pretty solid process

when you connect an external drive, the pop up menu gives options for incremental backup or restore

·
Registered
466 Posts
In fact, I just upgraded from the 03HD to the 06HD, taking advantage of the Memorial Day special that Olive offered on the 06.

I received the unit yesterday, did an incremental back-up from the 03 (running software version 4.20) onto a portable USB hard drive, and then loaded into the 06.

Took some time, but the process was extremely simple and flawless. Everything transferred, including internet radio stations that I had persoanlly loaded the URL's for, playlists, everything.

Note that the portable hard drives need to be formated as FAT32, per Olive's instructions.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Nice job. But please keep in mind that 'everything' is kept in a tiny sqlite database, but the rest, your music is elsewhere. Nevertheless I'm convinced that the backup of 4.2.0 IS far superior to the old one.

Marc

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Just the other day, I had again some bad luck with one of my Olive's. It had played some music without a hickup, but suddenly the sound was paused several times, and Olive Opus showed I/O errors.Refreshing Maestro and Opus yielded in 404 not available messages, and the screen itself did not react anymore.

I restarted the unit, but it did not reach the start screen with the green Olive logo.

By examining the disk, I saw that the boot-flag was missing from sda2. Normally the second partion has this flag marked, so I gave it the flag back, and by Jovis, it started up again!

I stil wonder how it could have been damaged, in the midst of playing some music, but I guess, I will never know.

Having opened my 'production' Olive, I thought it being time to feed it with the rips of last month, most of the Mercury Living Presence cd box I had bought recently. Routinely I checked the partitions of my work Olive, and repaired sda1 again. The other partitions did not show errors, but the first always does.

I had done this before, but now my work Olive did not start anymore (!?).

I had not seen this behaviour before, and maybe it has something to do with the recent updates 4.1.7, .8 or .9. For sure the first partition contains some 'secrets' from Olive, which makes it difficult to clone the disk.

None of my old tricks to overcome the problem succeeded.

So, I reverted to the official Olive recovery procedure. Now my pc is copying the data from one of my backups onto a working version of a recovered Olive disk, while I still have the original, not booting disk untouched. It started last night at 23h and it will be ready at 21h, that means it takes 22 hours to copy all the music.

But in my opinion, it should be necessary to copy just the first partition with the secrets, a very small job. The intelligent disk copiers I know of, all want to repair the filesystem before copying.

Again, i will have to study the old life-savers dd, ddrescue, or dd_rescue. So far my newest experience.

In short, an open Olive does not show an open Olive.

Marc

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see that (finalyy) Olive is also readin/responding on this treat.

That good news, because Olive Cusotmer support does not ansver any questions at all. I have tried several times, never got any response. Seems company policy: do not answer email from people outside the US. European customers dont count.

So I have two questions to Olive Care:

1. Whay does customer support refused to answer any email? (btw: I have heard this from other people too).

2. Is the Olive 4 now declared obsolete by Olive, or can we expect future updates to work on the Olive 4 too?

regards,

1941 - 1960 of 3961 Posts