AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 10303 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great new for you ... but very bad new for every person who want to pass 1080i (or p) by component IN to hdmi OUT. Is that mrgribbles saying since many time
=Component IN 1080i/p----->Hdmi OUT=720p MAX

Your hdmi setting menu is to YES or NO ??(for your XBOX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d--keller /forum/post/0

.... The 605 WILL NOT PROCESS A 1080P SIGNAL THROUGHT COMPONENT!!

But you confirm that is ok for:

hdmi 1080p (PS3) IN ---->Hdmi OUT at 1080p to your display at 24Hz or 60Hz

and

component 1080p (XBOX) IN ----> component OUT at 1080p to your display.

Regards

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thanks d--keller. We have been waiting for a 1080p via component answer. I would have thought otherwise but now we know. Glad to see you're up and running. Enjoy.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40W2000 /forum/post/0

Your hdmi setting menu is to YES or NO ??(for your XBOX)

But you confirm that is ok for:

hdmi 1080p (PS3) IN ---->Hdmi OUT at 1080p to your display at 24Hz or 60Hz

and

component 1080p (XBOX) IN ----> component OUT at 1080p to your display.

My XBOX doesn't have HDMI so I don't beleive I have any settings for that. (At work so I can't check)

You're right though... the 605 will process 1080P in through component and 1080P out through component.

However, 1080P in though component NOTHING out though HDMI...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
OoooH. So 1080p will pass through component? I've already been shooting my mouth off about it won't!!

So to recap

1080p component -> 605 -> 1080p component -> TV is OK

1080p component -> 605 -> 1080p HDMI -> TV is NOT OK - No output

Are you getting a bright green screen on the TV? I wonder if this is a HDCP issue?

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan /forum/post/0

You also need to set the 605 so it displays menus via HDMI...mine didn't come defaulted that way.

On another forum, I read that the 605 can only display its menu's via HDMI on a 720p display, not native 1080i or 1080p. Is this correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles /forum/post/0

OoooH. So 1080p will pass through component? I've already been shooting my mouth off about it won't!!

So to recap

Are you getting a bright green screen on the TV? I wonder if this is a HDCP issue?

I get a blue screen and a message that I have "no signal/weak signal"

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If it was a HDCP thing it could have a "content" type of warning. I dunno!!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Just a rant!

Don't you just love HDMI and the marketed promise of "fewer connection cables". I've never bought and used so many cables in my life. The reality of marketing hype or is it just good old fashioned BS. Rant over.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, let me get this straight: If I go satellite HDMI in, HDMI out to TV, then my 1080i will be fine, but regular 480 and 720 signals won't be processed?In other words, I'm not getting any improvement of signal anywhere; just convenience?

What are the workarounds? Has somebody discussed them somewhere? Let me guess: Do I connect the satellite receiver via component and HDMI to the 605, then go HDMI out to the TV, then switch back and forth depending on what I'm watching? Or is it much more complicated than that?

Thanks. This is all too complicated for a person who has never owned an AV receiver before!

Quote:

psndxc

First, powerknowledge just made a helluva post in the 805 owners thread that clearly outlines some of the issues. A must study post.

HDMI in to 605 and out to TV is 100% passthrough. 1080i in = 1080i out. No handshake issues, no nuttin.

What doesn't happen is that then we would not get any Faroudja/Genisis/DCDI improvement on a 480i SD signal because that signal passes through too. The video processing does improve a 480i signal so we want that.

When we connect by component and go out over HDMI the signal does get processed and 480i goes to 480p (or 720p selectable) with PQ enhancement. We want that. However now our 1080i signal, that we want pristine also gets processed down to 720P. Thats what we don't want.

There are workarounds, they do work, but then to go from SD to HD there is more than just a channel change to make. If you don't need or want the conversion just go HDMI -HDMI or component - component.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The problem is that my tv doesn't take 1080p over component.

I wish all the info on this inputs, outputs, analog/digital connections, etc. and how the "magic hidden menu" affects it all could be consolidated on one main page. The thread has so many posts with information and misinformation it's hard to follow and get the right answer.

I still have the 605 on order but I'm looking at other options out there as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:

So to recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by d--keller /forum/post/0

I get a blue screen and a message that I have "no signal/weak signal"

I think that your display mrgribbles are not Full HD 1080p ready, and his feedback to the receiver said: No thank i can't eat this signal ...please i need 720p to be cool...

But Please d--keller confirm me this an other time:

COMPONENTE IN 1080p (PS3) ---> COMPONENTE OUT 1080P = OK in your display REALY SAID IN LARGE LETTERS 1080p ! =REAL PASSTHROUGH COMPONENT 1080P, please i want to be SURE OF THAT.

...... Now one other history
: passthrougt hdmi to hdmi [email protected]

For your "blue screen and a message that I have "no signal/weak signal" i think the same of mrgribbles HDCP procedure INCORRECT, when componente is >720 ----> hdmi= impossible!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Here's a consolidation of ins & outs (again) with what I'm pretty sure represents the 605 video experience. My skin is pretty thick so if you see something wrong, just holler.

Component & HDMI ins and outs

Option 1) component in -> component out (Hidden menu - doesn't matter)

480i component -> 605 -> 480i component ->TV

720p component -> 605 -> 720p component ->TV

1080i component -> 605 -> 1080i component ->TV

1080p component -> 605 -> 1080p component ->TV

Option 2) component in -> HDMI out (Hidden menu set to Auto)

480i component -> 605 -> 480p HDMI ->TV

720p component -> 605 -> 720p HDMI ->TV

1080i component -> 605 -> 720p HDMI ->TV

1080p component -> 605 -> NO OUTPUT FROM 605 (This could be an isolated HDCP thing)

Option 3) component in -> HDMI out (Hidden menu set to 720p)

480i component -> 605 -> 720p HDMI ->TV

720p component -> 605 -> 720p HDMI ->TV

1080i component -> 605 -> 720p HDMI ->TV

1080p component -> 605 -> NO OUTPUT FROM 605 (This could be an isolated HDCP thing)

Option 4) HDMI in -> HDMI out (Hidden menu - doesn't matter)

480i HDMI -> 605 -> 480i HDMI ->TV

720p HDMI -> 605 -> 720p HDMI ->TV

1080i HDMI-> 605 -> 1080i HDMI ->TV

1080p HDMI-> 605 -> 1080p HDMI ->TV

If you want 1080i from your cable box for HD and you want to upconvert 480i to 480p for your SD here are 2 workarounds. Please note you have to do some switching every time you go from HD to SD or SD to HD. Note HDMI monitor is ON for both workarounds. The hidden menu is AUTO.

#1 From the STB

STB component(USE IN2) -> 605 (assign to GAme/TV)

STB HDMI (USE HDMI1)-> 605 (assign HDMI1 to Cab/SAt in 605)

FROM the 605

605 HDMI -> TV

For converted SD @480p select Game/tv on 605 remote. For pass through 1080i select cab/sat on 605 remote.

#2 From the STB

STB component(USE IN2) -> 605 (assign to Cab/Sat)

From the 605

605 Component out -> TV

605 HDMI out -> TV

Select cab/sat on the 605 remote

For converted SD @ 480p select the HDMI input on the TV.

For passthrough 1080i HD select component IN on the TV.

There are other workaround possibilites. Look them up or invent them and post them. If errors, omissions or add-ons, I'll try to keep up this post.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It would be nice if we could get all this great information consolidated on the first page or first post. Lots of information is a repeat over and over again. Where is the guy who opened this thread or maybe MrGibbles could update your first post? Its right on the first page..

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
MrGibbles, you were working on this just as I was but you beat me to the punch!

ONKYO TX-SR605 Short and Sweet:

1. Video Upconversion:

If HDMI Monitor Setting is YES:

Composite > HDMI

Composite > Composite

S-Video > HDMI

S-Video > S-Video

Component > HDMI

Component > Component

HDMI > HDMI

If HDMI Monitor Setting is NO:

Composite > Component

Composite > S-Video

Composite > Composite

S-Video > Component

S-Video > S-Video

S-Video > Composite

Component > Component

HDMI > HDMI

2. Video Scaling:

The 605 can be used as a scalar for SD video formats for upto a maximum resolution of 720p for analog video sources (Composite, S-Video and Component), if output through HDMI. The Hidden Menu' to access this feature can be got to by pressing AUX' and POWER' on the receiver (not on the Remote Control). Once the Hidden Menu is accessed, you can set various picture related parameters. One of them is Resolution' that has two options, AUTO' or 720p'.

AUTO:

Analog 480i or 480p in > 480p HDMI

Analog 720p or 1080i in > 720p HDMI

Analog 1080p > Not displayed through HDMI.

720p:

Analog 480i or 480p in > 720p HDMI

Analog 720p or 1080i in > 720p HDMI

Analog 1080p > Not displayed through HDMI.

Note: If you want to send a 1080p(/24 or /60) component video signal through the receiver, you will have to connect the Component Video output to your display device and that will send the signal through unprocessed.

3. Newer Audio Formats Decoding:

DOLBY TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio are two new lossless surround sound codecs that can be decoded within the receiver. The receiver can also process Multichannel and Stereo PCM.

Having said that, the fact of the matter is that as of this writing, the HD DVD and BR players process these codecs internally and do not send them out as bitstream to the receiver.

For DTH, for players that can, the codec is decoded in the player and sent out as full resolution Multichannel PCM through HDMI which the receiver can then apply its processing (speaker config, EQ, etc) and playback through the speakers. In this mode, the 605 cannot apply 7.1 post processing (DolbyPLIIx) to incoming 5.1 PCM streams. However, higher model numbers like the 805 can. The 605 can apply 7.1 processing to all other incoming bitstreams like DTS or Dolby Digital.

Other players will convert the DTH to regular Dolby Digital and send that as a bitstream which can then be decoded and played back. AFAIK, all players do this to the DTS HD MA track and send it as core' DTS.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Superb effort rajdawar. I'm too lazy. Do we agree??

·
Premium Member
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry /forum/post/0

It would be nice if we could get all this great information consolidated on the first page or first post. Lots of information is a repeat over and over again. Where is the guy who opened this thread or maybe MrGibbles could update your first post? Its right on the first page..

May I suggest that we consolidate MrGibbles' very detailed and helpful post with my last post and get it on the first page or create a new topic. I'm not sure how this works but I would love to help in any way I can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
!! MAJOR INFORMATION !!

Special Thanks to mrgribbles & rajdawar

SUPERB, NICE ... Very good job, NOWWWWW It's Clear

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
About two days ago I ordered the 605. I have an alright setup, not to fancy, but im wondering if this 605 is going to be a worthwhile investment. I had a sony strdg1000 but the preout was blown and I didnt feel like messing around with service on it. Point being I returned it and got the 605 ordered from circuit city online. If you go into the store you can get them ordered, just tell them you need a 9848 order. They have 5 I believe. Does anyone have an opinion of whether this was a good idea or not?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedrooter /forum/post/0

About two days ago I ordered the 605. I have an alright setup, not to fancy, but im wondering if this 605 is going to be a worthwhile investment. I had a sony strdg1000 but the preout was blown and I didnt feel like messing around with service on it. Point being I returned it and got the 605 ordered from circuit city online. If you go into the store you can get them ordered, just tell them you need a 9848 order. They have 5 I believe. Does anyone have an opinion of whether this was a good idea or not?

From what I hear, as a receiver, the 605 is pretty damn good for the price. the fact that it bundles a scalar for regular SD signals is a bonus. It does have a couple of things that could have been better, but Onlyo does offer them at a higher price point.

Great sound, great features and HDMI 1.3a. Not too shabby for the money.

581 - 600 of 10303 Posts