AVS Forum banner

7221 - 7240 of 10303 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
After reading posts on other boards, and getting to the high 200's of this forum

I still have a few questions about the 605


Has the Component 1080i --HDMI 720P downgrade been fixed, I have seen people talking about it?

Are the popping noises still there in the newer batches?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Is there a way you can change the source name for example one of the HDMI slots says VCR HDMI can I change the VCR since I am not using a VCR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4legs /forum/post/13408838


After reading posts on other boards, and getting to the high 200's of this forum

I still have a few questions about the 605


Has the Component 1080i --HDMI 720P downgrade been fixed, I have seen people talking about it?

Are the popping noises still there in the newer batches?


Thanks

I have owned my new 605 for less than 30 days. I have had no problem with popping noises.

As to the 1080i to 720p issue--I believe that this is the design. I have my cable box connected with component to the 605 and outputted to the tv through HDMI and the result is 720p. From what I can see, many AVRs are set-up this way. The solution is to go HDMI to HDMI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd#1 /forum/post/13409114


Is there a way you can change the source name for example one of the HDMI slots says VCR HDMI can I change the VCR since I am not using a VCR?

That's only available on the 705 and up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos /forum/post/13409136


I have owned my new 605 for less than 30 days. I have had no problem with popping noises.

As to the 1080i to 720p issue--I believe that this is the design. I have my cable box connected with component to the 605 and outputted to the tv through HDMI and the result is 720p. From what I can see, many AVRs are set-up this way. The solution is to go HDMI to HDMI.

Or component to component.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick /forum/post/13408310


thanks, i added those Harmon's to my amazon wishlist. i'm hoping to wait for the 606's to come out before i buy, so those speakers might be even cheaper by then.

Check out the price at the Harman Kardon store on _Bay! They are rufurbs but mine came in and looked like new! Full factory packaging and warranty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos /forum/post/13409136


I have owned my new 605 for less than 30 days. I have had no problem with popping noises.

As to the 1080i to 720p issue--I believe that this is the design. I have my cable box connected with component to the 605 and outputted to the tv through HDMI and the result is 720p. From what I can see, many AVRs are set-up this way. The solution is to go HDMI to HDMI.


From all the reading in here thats what I figured. But with a dedicated room, i was looking just to run a single HDMI to the projector, and not another set of component.

I am also looking at the Yamaha 661 but would then have the same issues, i was hoping this would solve it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Here is my setup:


DTV HR21-->HDMI-->605-->HDMI-->Sammy5884


Obviously I have to have my 605 turned on in order to have a picture on the 5884. What's the best way around that while still perserving the best audio and video?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd /forum/post/13410672


Here is my setup:


DTV HR21-->HDMI-->605-->HDMI-->Sammy5884


Obviously I have to have my 605 turned on in order to have a picture on the 5884. What's the best way around that while still perserving the best audio and video?

Run a component video and audio cable from the HR21 to the TV as well as the HDMI set-up you currently have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd /forum/post/13410672


Here is my setup:


DTV HR21-->HDMI-->605-->HDMI-->Sammy5884


Obviously I have to have my 605 turned on in order to have a picture on the 5884. What's the best way around that while still perserving the best audio and video?

I am going to do this when I get my new set:


Comcast STB > HDMI > TV

Comcast STB > Digital Coax > 605


Since I am passing both video and audio over the HDMI I can watch TV without turning on the 605. When I want home theater I will turn on the 605 select the Coax 1 input and mute the TV speakers. Simple I think!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
It seems like I've been waiting forever to pick up a 605, but I finally got one this week and got it all set up (along with two additional speakers). I put in 3:10 to Yuma and jumped to the finale. Even my wife had a smile on her face as we listened to the 7.1 track and noticed all of the little details coming from all around us.


I knew I was going to be in trouble for spending the money if it wasn't an obvious improvement, and I think I'm safe after watching select scenes from Yuma, Cars, Pirates, and Harry Potter. I'm having fun going through my collection and checking out all of the uncompressed audio I've been missing.


So I thank all of you who have contributed to this thread, which has been a valuable resource as I researched my purchase!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I could plow through a bunch of past messages, however, quick question (one of future ones probably). How do you watch tv through tv without going through 605? Got mine today, set up, still playing with it. I am running HDMI from Cable box to 605 HDMI to TV

Thanks

Howard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobes /forum/post/13414786


I could plow through a bunch of past messages, however, quick question (one of future ones probably). How do you watch tv through tv without going through 605? Got mine today, set up, still playing with it. I am running HDMI from Cable box to 605 HDMI to TV

Thanks

Howard

You would need to run a separate cable from the cable box to your TV. You would have to do the following:


Cable Box -> HDMI -> TV

Cable Box -> Digital Audio (optical or coax) -> 605
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobes /forum/post/13414931


I want to run HDMI from 605 to take advantage of up converting DVD. Can't do both? I have optical sound now from CB to 605

Do you have a relatively new HDTV? If so, then your TV will probably do a better job of upconverting than the 605. If you still want to run the HDMI to your 605, then you can get a 1x2 HDMI switch, which takes one HDMI input, then can pass the signal to either of 2 outputs, so you can select whether to send the HDMI signal to your TV or to your 605.


Monoprice has a 4x2: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


and a 1x4: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Either one will work for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
Yeah I think the 605 cant compete with some of the newer HDTVs out there. I have a ps3 which upconverts everything to 1080p. My xbox 360 is running at 1080p via component. I have a SONY SXRD Bravia 60". It has a great picture. Im thinking of running most of my components to the TV then running optical from the components to the receiver. Still get Dolby Digital that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hi all, hoping someone can help me with my dilemma. Love the receiver and been having fun watching blu-ray on my big screen, but having an issue that I'm stuck on.


I'm using a epson powerlite 720p native projector, and have to use component (my projector is 18f from the source, so no HDMI.)


So connected into the 605 I have:


PS3 > HDMI2 >

Motorola PVR > HDMI1 >


Component out > Epson


I'm using the component out to my Epson projector, however I am unable to receive a signal, unless I of course directly connect the components to the PS3 or PVR for TV.


I've looked at the Onkyo menu for assigning each HDMI which I did, the monitor out I've played with and had no success.


Is my setup just not usable since I'm using HDMI in on 2 sources and component out on the projector?


Any help would be hugely appreciated



Cheers,


Thor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordin /forum/post/13416936


Hi all, hoping someone can help me with my dilemma. Love the receiver and been having fun watching blu-ray on my big screen, but having an issue that I'm stuck on.


I'm using a epson powerlite 720p native projector, and have to use component (my projector is 18f from the source, so no HDMI.)


So connected into the 605 I have:


PS3 > HDMI2 >

Motorola PVR > HDMI1 >


Component out > Epson


I'm using the component out to my Epson projector, however I am unable to receive a signal, unless I of course directly connect the components to the PS3 or PVR for TV.


I've looked at the Onkyo menu for assigning each HDMI which I did, the monitor out I've played with and had no success.


Is my setup just not usable since I'm using HDMI in on 2 sources and component out on the projector?


Any help would be hugely appreciated



Cheers,


Thor.

HDMI video in doesn't go to component out. I don't think any receiver will do that.
 
7221 - 7240 of 10303 Posts
Top