AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 26048 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457597

In a two-cable setup, the HDMI 1 output is cabled DIRECTLY to your display. To watch a movie you set your Display to view that HDMI input and you also set your AVR to get audio from the HDMI input coming from HDMI 2 on the OPPO.

Please note, for folks who don't HAVE TO bypass their receiver for video, a single cable solution will work just fine for movies. I.e., run HDMI 1 to the AVR, and run HDMI from the video to the display. The video will go through the AVR to the display and the AVR will extract the audio from it in the process.

The main reason to use a two cable solution is if for some reason you can't, or don't want to, run video through the AVR. The most common reason for this will be that you have a 3D-capable display but your AVR is not able to accept and pass-through 3D video.

--Bob

That's quite clear now. Thanks.

The video output could presumably be run through a Darbee enhancer or another processor on its way to the monitor/display. The question remains, however, why Oppo designates this as the preferred setup?

On a related matter, would one want to run my DirecTV set-top DVR box through the BDP-103 as the default, thereby freeing up an HDMI port on the A/V -- or does setup create an unneeded complication?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,531 Posts
The language in the Manuals is still being refined. If you have suggestions for how OPPO could make it clearer, please do send an email to OPPO Tech Support.

There have been reports that the Darbee won't handle 4K video streams and may cause handshake problems with the 103 using "normal" resolutions as well. If you are interested in the Darbee, see if you can get it on a trial basis, at least until we can get more experience posted here.

We are still exploring just what folks can do with the HDMI Inputs of the 103. Running a DirecTV box through it should work fine. But this is "Brave New World" territory, so we need to hear from more people who are trying stuff like this. There will be some gotchas, such as the player has to be powered ON to do this, and you have to select to use that HDMI Input as an additional step after the player powers on.

--Bob

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457620

OPPO is still doing limited distribution -- direct sales limited to the US only -- by invitation off their Interest Registration list.

The idea is keep more of a direct line to the first customers in case there are issues that need to be addressed. The limitation to the US for example makes it a lot easier for them to swap out units if needed.

The expectation is that before this month is out, they will switch to general distribution. That's when you can expect resellers like Amazon to start stocking them.

Similarly, the expectation is that resellers in Europe will get the BDP-103EU model before this month is out.

--Bob

thanks, bob. i put my name on the list (yesterday). think I'll get an invite, or has the list gotten too long already?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,531 Posts
^ I really don't know. The folks in Beta Test club don't see the Registration list of course. But I assure you that even if they were to go to general distribution tomorrow, they would STILL get back to you to let you know the first possible day you could place your order.

--Bob

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Oppo BDP-103 is in the Harmony database as I just loaded it to my 880 remote.It even has the button setting for the Vudu and Netflix control.

Reactions: gadgtfreek

·
Registered
22,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457457

[*] The -103 identified the SMB shares on the NAS immediately and once I entered my credentials it was off to the races. I think in the present "experimental" form this will be great for those with large audio libraries and it played high bit-rate multi-channel FLAC files just fine via SMB. On the other hand it also stuttered quite badly playing HD MKV files (H.264/DTS-MA) using SMB while the identical file was fine via DLNA. I don't know if this is an issue with the -103 or my NAS but for now I'll be sticking with DLNA for HD video.

FWIW, I do extensive watching of BD folders and M2TS via SMB with no issues. Also on a wired Gb network. DTS-MA in MKV is still a bit touchy, frankly I was surprised to see it working at all. I'd suggest trying the same file from connected storage to see if it plays differently.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457902

The Oppo BDP-103 is in the Harmony database as I just loaded it to my 880 remote.It even has the button setting for the Vudu and Netflix control.

Thanks for the heads up. Few buttons missing, like OPTIONS and POP UP MENU. No big deal but every time we have a new device Harmony misses some buttons. Why can't they just look at the remote picture, available since day 1 on the net ?

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Got my 103 and everything looking good. One very small problem: Playing a m2ts file, recorded with my Sony NX30 camcorder, the date (metadata) shows up on the screen. Same file played with the 93 and no date comes up on the screen. Is there anything we can do to avoid the date to show up ? It plays fine on my PC and with the 93.

One more thing: Using MYbook Live with Twonky, DLNA, high-bitrate files play fine on my gigabit wired network. Using SMB to access the same file produces a lot of stuttering. No big deal since I can always use DLNA but the performance should be the same. My WDTV Live Plus plays the same file without a glitch using SMB or DLNA. I know SMB is in "experimental mode", so no complain here.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22458032

Thanks for the heads up. Few buttons missing, like OPTIONS and POP UP MENU. No big deal but every time we have a new device Harmony misses some buttons. Why can't they just look at the remote picture, available since day 1 on the net ?
The pop up menu is now the same command as menu not like the 83 and 93 which was the pop up.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457457

My BDP-103 arrived yesterday afternoon and here are some of my initial impressions (in no particular order) as a former owner of a -83 and -93:
  • The speed increase of the interface is noticeable and the new "Quick Startup" is really fast. Nice.
  • The de-interlacting performance has been significantly improved compared to the -93, which IMHO, was not quite as a good as the -83. I popped in the HQV Blu Ray test suite and compared it back-to-back with the HQV Vida 1900 in my Yamaha AVR. Yup, the performance of the -103 is stellar and my new benchmark. Well done Oppo.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Glad to hear someone else liking the de-interlacing on the 103 much better than the 93.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457954

^ Cool! So, umm, does it offer a way to select an "Input" as part of switching to a new Activity?

--Bob
Yes on my remote it has a Input selection.Looks like we are complete.

Reactions: lanping09

·
Read the FAQ!
35,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/30#post_22458407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457954

^ Cool! So, umm, does it offer a way to select an "Input" as part of switching to a new Activity?

--Bob
Yes on my remote it has a Input selection.Looks like we are complete.

I don't think you follow. Sure it has the "Input" button for the device. You can use that for manually selecting which Input to use on the 103.

But if you set up a new Activity on the Logitech which includes the 103, does it ask you which Input the 103 should be set to as part of entering that Activity?

I.e., can you set up an Activity which automatically changes the 103 to start using what's coming in on, say, the Front HDMI Input?

--Bob

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457966

FWIW, I do extensive watching of BD folders and M2TS via SMB with no issues. Also on a wired Gb network.
Hmmmm.....I think I'm gonna chalk this one up to my admittedly low-powered NAS.

I just tried BD folders via SMB/CIFS instead of MKV with the same poor result. Since the exact content works in a MKV container via DLNA I'm thinking my NAS is handling the streaming differently between DLNA and SMB/CIFS.

Out of curiosity what are you using for your SMB/CIFS server?

·
Registered
22,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/30#post_22458476

Hmmmm.....I think I'm gonna chalk this one up to my admittedly low-powered NAS.

I just tried BD folders via SMB/CIFS instead of MKV with the same poor result. Since the exact content works in a MKV container via DLNA I'm thinking my NAS is handling the streaming differently between DLNA and SMB/CIFS.

Out of curiosity what are you using for your SMB/CIFS server?

A Windows PC, sometimes my Dune player's HDD. (Dune acts as a NAS)

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457277

(And heck! Maybe it means OPPO will be able to offer an 802.11ac option!
)

That would be terrific but would require a new dongle, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457557

The new Titanic blu-ray is up tonight.

Just watched the new Titanic Blu-ray last night and at the end of the movie I had a audio drop out. Let me know what your experience was.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I received my unit last night. I shot an unboxing video, and when I have time over the next couple days I'll try to do some hands on, then edit it all together.

I had a brief chance to hook it up and give it a listen. The first thing I did was connect to Netflix. The interface is the exact same as on the PS3, so I'm already used to it. It does look sharper than on the PS3 though. It's a bit quicker to navigate with the PS3 controller, but since I have an older model, the PS3 sounds like a jet engine half the time. I'll be using the Oppo for Netflix playback now.

This morning I compared the Oppo DACs to the Rotel 1572 in 2Ch playback. Put a CD on and just switched back and forth between analog and HDMI. After about 15 minutes I concluded that I liked the processing done by the Rotel a hair more. The soundstage is a bit wider with more separation using the Rotel. The Oppo has a slightly warmer sound. I prefer the cleaner, pure sound the Rotel puts out. I'll be comparing it every so often as the Oppo breaks in over time.

Reactions: lanping09

·
Read the FAQ!
35,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/30#post_22458614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread#post_22457277

(And heck! Maybe it means OPPO will be able to offer an 802.11ac option!
)

That would be terrific but would require a new dongle, right?

. . . .

Sure, but that's better than a whole new player. Just wild speculation of course.

--Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts
In due course, Bob, all will be revealed.

The fact that the firmware (and the manual) will be periodically updated online is a big plus for the Oppo brand. I would have gladly paid, say, another $50 for an Ethernet port on the Darbee.

Sent from my iPad

21 - 40 of 26048 Posts