AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 14533 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596472


I received my unit today and began playing around with it a bit.

The main reason I bought the 105 over the 103 was the headphone amp. I gave a few CDs a few spins with my Audez'e LCD-2s and Sennheiser 800s. The headphone amp sounds very nice.

For the sake of comparison, can i ask which headphone amp (and DAC) you were using prior to the 105?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596562


For the sake of comparison, can i ask which headphone amp (and DAC) you were using prior to the 105?

I'm probably not the guy to ask that question to for any sort of definitive answer because up until now I've been using the headphone jack of my Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver. I'd been looking to invest in a headphone amp, but I heard about the 105 including one so I held off buying one until the 105 was released. My post was more to indicate that the 105's headphone amp (to my ears) gets the job done with the two cans I mentioned.


JonStatt's post #4 will give you a better idea of the 105's headphone amp's quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Here's an interesting question...


I have connected my 105 to my AVR via HDMI 1 to take advantage of the QDEO processing. The manual states that DSD via HDMI is only available thru HDMI 2. But I still get audio when I select DSD for SACD Output even though HDMI 1 should only be passing PCM.


Any thoughts?


Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
You're right, Bob! I just switched it to HDMI 2, and now the display says "DSD". I just assumed it wouldn't output any audio at all if DSD was selected via HDMI 1.


I'm enjoying the player, though I haven't yet been able to grab my SPL meter and properly calibrate the Speaker Configuration to really take advantage of the DACs. Via HDMI though (with Audyssey engaged), everything sounds great. Looking forward to really taking the DACs for a test drive, since that's why I went with the 105 over the 103.


The question now is, are the DACs good enough that I can get rid of my Lindemann 24/192 USB DAC connected to my Mac Mini Music Server and just use the 105...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596721



I'm probably not the guy to ask that question to for any sort of definitive answer because up until now I've been using the headphone jack of my Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver. I'd been looking to invest in a headphone amp, but I heard about the 105 including one so I held off buying one until the 105 was released. My post was more to indicate that the 105's headphone amp (to my ears) gets the job done with the two cans I mentioned.

JonStatt's post #4 will give you a better idea of the 105's headphone amp's quality.
 

Can you elaborate on the sound a bit more than "nice", if possible
? I'm curious too about the headphone performance with the Audeze headphones. Jon Scott above did a nice review, but we need more reviewers when available. How far can you turn up the volume on the 105 before you give up? Need to know how beefy the amplifier is ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Finally had a moment to do some calibrating with the SPL meter. The 105 has officially passed the wife acceptance test. I played Steely Dan's "Gaucho" DVD-A through the Analog output, then through the HDMI to my Denon AVR-4308ci (with Audyssey MultiEQ XT). While HDMI with Audyssey definitely had a warmer sound, even her "untrained" ears preferred the clarity of the superior DACs in the 105. I boosted the SW level in the 105 to warm it up a little, and the result was audio nirvana.


I plan on replacing my Denon AVR-4308ci (which I only use as a Pre/Pro to my Sunfire Cinema Grand II Amp) with either an Integra 80.3 or a Marantz 8801, both of which have Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. At that point, it might be harder to decide between HDMI or Analog out of the 105...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596908


Finally had a moment to do some calibrating with the SPL meter. The 105 has officially passed the wife acceptance test. I played Steely Dan's "Gaucho" DVD-A through the Analog output, then through the HDMI to my Denon AVR-4308ci (with Audyssey MultiEQ XT). While HDMI with Audyssey definitely had a warmer sound, even her "untrained" ears preferred the clarity of the superior DACs in the 105. I boosted the SW level in the 105 to warm it up a little, and the result was audio nirvana.

I plan on replacing my Denon AVR-4308ci (which I only use as a Pre/Pro to my Sunfire Cinema Grand II Amp) with either an Integra 80.3 or a Marantz 8801, both of which have Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. At that point, it might be harder to decide between HDMI or Analog out of the 105...
 

Thanks for the review Lee ...are you saying the 105 sounded better through its un-processed analog outs versus thru HDMI + Audyssey?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
What is the trick to be able to browse Windows (7 or 8) shares ? It can see the directory but the login fail.I suspect that the 105 can not negotiate using the newer NT authentication.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596855


Can you elaborate on the sound a bit more than "nice", if possible:) ? I'm curious too about the headphone performance with the Audeze headphones. Jon Scott above did a nice review, but we need more reviewers when available. How far can you turn up the volume on the 105 before you give up? Need to know how beefy the amplifier is ....

Sorry about the lack of description. I only had a short amount of time to set the player up and test out how the headphone amp sounded. By "nice" I mean the sound was smooth, detailed, and non-fatiguing. (I was listening to selected cuts from the CD versions of the Cure's Greatest Hits and John Hiatt's "Riding With The King" and an SACD of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.)


I did some further headphone listening tonight switching back and forth between the headphone jacks on the 105 and my Yamaha 2000 and my Sennheiser 800s and the LCD-2s


I put in Clash of the Titans 3-D in the 105 with the 800s and the 105 didn't seem to muscle up a great deal of volume. The detail was very nice, but I had the volume up to 90 and above. On the Yamaha, there was plenty of headroom to go higher and the movie played much louder. Switching over to the LCD-2s, the 105 provided a better sound (clearer and more detailed), but again the volume was up to 85 to 90 to give me the sort of immersion that I craved. Again, the Yamaha easily played the movie louder if not as cleanly and crisply.


I put in Quadrophenia SACD (import) and again I was rather disappointed with the amount of volume from the 105 with the 800s. I could push the volume to 100 without distorting, but I've never listened to my cans at near maximum volume before. (Maybe it's a psychological thing or maybe I'm just getting old.
.) Quadrophenia sounded better on the 105 with the LCD-2s, but the volume was in the 85 and up region.


At this juncture, I'm enjoying how the 105 and the LCD-2s interact with each other. The 800s and the Yamaha seem to work better for me. I'll let my ears (and body) get a good night's rest and do some more exploring tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Schultz  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596235


You must let the 105 run for at least 2-3 weeks before it will sound its best. Out of the box, you will get a somewhat thin and grainy closed down sound. This was true for the 95 as well. I had two stock 95s here at the same time, one brand new and one that had 200 plus hours. The burned in one sounded much better.

I had an Eastern Electric DAC here that also uses the ES9018 DAC and the thing sounds wonderful.....better than a stock 95 and I bet better than stock 105. It uses only one set of the outputs from the DAC. Shocked me when I noticed this. Maybe the paralleling thing really does not make much difference with this chip. Maybe depends on what kind of output stage you are using. We shall see.

I received my first 105 today and will give it a quick listen and then start the burn in process. I will run it on repeat and also ocasionally use the Tara Labs burn in disc with the output stage loaded with a low impedance resistor. I will let everyone know what I think of the sound when I have burned it in.

I just checked the voltage on the output op amp just before the output coupling caps. There is some DC voltage offset when the unit is powering up and some when powering down. All this is stopped by the coupling caps. The voltage offset is never more than one and a half volts but if you had your volume control way up or were using the unit directly into an amp with the digital volume control and your amp was on and you turned it on.....not good. So, for most people, they will want to keep the stock coupling cap (a very good Elna Silmic cap). Of course, this opens the way for better coupling caps to be used. In some systems, you could get away with not having the coupling cap. After the unit settles there is less than 15 mv offset. The stock electrolytic coupling cap will take a while to really sound good.

While I am not denying that burn-in has an effect, with all of my solid state devices, I have found that the first 10 hours is where all the change really happens, and after that, if it does change, its very slight and very gradual. I had actually run-in the 105 for over 15 hours before I actually listened to anything on it
Nothing sounded thin or grainy to my ears.I believe that what I noted regarding the 105 having a slightly brighter and more detailed presentation, is a characteristic difference rather than something that will disappear with burn-in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22597027


Sorry about the lack of description. I only had a short amount of time to set the player up and test out how the headphone amp sounded. By "nice" I mean the sound was smooth, detailed, and non-fatiguing. (I was listening to selected cuts from the CD versions of the Cure's Greatest Hits and John Hiatt's "Riding With The King" and an SACD of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.)

I did some further headphone listening tonight switching back and forth between the headphone jacks on the 105 and my Yamaha 2000 and my Sennheiser 800s and the LCD-2s

I put in Clash of the Titans 3-D in the 105 with the 800s and the 105 didn't seem to muscle up a great deal of volume. The detail was very nice, but I had the volume up to 90 and above. On the Yamaha, there was plenty of headroom to go higher and the movie played much louder. Switching over to the LCD-2s, the 105 provided a better sound (clearer and more detailed), but again the volume was up to 85 to 90 to give me the sort of immersion that I craved. Again, the Yamaha easily played the movie louder if not as cleanly and crisply.

I put in Quadrophenia SACD (import) and again I was rather disappointed with the amount of volume from the 105 with the 800s. I could push the volume to 100 without distorting, but I've never listened to my cans at near maximum volume before. (Maybe it's a psychological thing or maybe I'm just getting old.
.) Quadrophenia sounded better on the 105 with the LCD-2s, but the volume was in the 85 and up region.

At this juncture, I'm enjoying how the 105 and the LCD-2s interact with each other. The 800s and the Yamaha seem to work better for me. I'll let my ears (and body) get a good night's rest and do some more exploring tomorrow.

What you are describing is exactly what I found. There isn't quite enough headroom in my opinion in the output power of the headphone amplifier for these more demanding headphones. When you say things didn't "muscle up" it tends to imply it is compressing the peaks. Even though I could get loud enough for any music I wanted to listen to, there was evidence of compression of some of the dynamics. The end result is a very smooth, easy to listen to, well balanced sound. For those looking for more excitement, it may fall short and for those looking to chill-out and relax, it is going to be very pleasing indeed. It isn't over-powering at any frequency point and is fairly neutral. If it just had a bit more oomph it would have been perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
For adding the headphone amp and external dac capability at 199 bucks, I would have been surprised if the 105 could compete with a dedicated headphone amp that a headphone audiophile might use.


OTOH, it does seem that from the limited comments, that it has done a quite reasonable job given the cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596987


What is the trick to be able to browse Windows (7 or 8) shares ? It can see the directory but the login fail.I suspect that the 105 can not negotiate using the newer NT authentication.

Thanks.

No different really, but Windows sharing is a quagmire of settings. If you have sharing working with some other playback device, the Oppo should be pretty much plug and play. Login failure is probably due to some setting on the PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596949


Thanks for the review Lee ...are you saying the 105 sounded better through its un-processed analog outs versus thru HDMI + Audyssey?

In my case, yes. But bear in mind, my Pre/Pro only has Audyssey MultiEQ XT, not XT32. What I'm finding is that listening thru HDMI+Audyssey is pleasantly warm, but the analog outs produce an incredibly clean, pure sound. I increased the SW level in the 105 to warm up the sound a little, and its just wonderful.


I'm very curious to hear how the analog outs stack up against HDMI + Audyssey XT32.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596441


I'm looking at the BDP-103, and I wonder if the analog audio section of the BDP-105 would be noticeably better than the one in my Pioneer Elite SC-05. The SC-05 uses a 192 kHz / 24-bit DAC (Wolfson WM8740). I have a collection of SACDs, and I'm looking for a good replacement for my "fat" PS3, which died last year. My speakers are Ascend Acoustics, not the best, but certainly not bad.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hmm, I think I've answered my own question. For my 48-year-old ears, I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference - particularly with my speaker and room setup. I've decided to get the BDP-103, and invest the difference in more SACDs. My golden-ear days are over, I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Is it just me? The bass in the 105 sounds a lot more tighter then the 95. It has a more real world sound to it. The bass in the 95 always sounded like a big boom box.


The picture is also better I have noticed a more flim like texture to the picture. This may be due to the better transport in the 105 as compared to the 95.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiwi  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread#post_22596397


Guys, I've been playing with the 105 for a couple of hours. I will burn it in for a few days before making any comments on sound. One thing though is netflix and vudu. I have a Samsung smart TV with a USB wireless stick and also a Roku. Both of these have no issues streaming netflix. The Oppo is very slow to start streaming and then when it does the connection will be lost and tries to reconnect. Vudu won't load at all. Anyone else seen this? Maybe I have a dud wireless adaptor? I did notice the 95 was slow to load netflix as well. I'm using a Cisco E3000 which is no slug.

Cheers

DJ

I have a 93, 103, 95 and now a 105. I have had no problems with VuDu. On the signal speed test utility, what readings do you get? I don't think that the player is the source of your problems. Can you move the OPPO closer to your wireless router and get a VuDu connect to run the test? If not, I think there is a utility on the Samsung????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/30#post_22597111


While I am not denying that burn-in has an effect, with all of my solid state devices, I have found that the first 10 hours is where all the change really happens, and after that, if it does change, its very slight and very gradual. I had actually run-in the 105 for over 15 hours before I actually listened to anything on it
Nothing sounded thin or grainy to my ears.I believe that what I noted regarding the 105 having a slightly brighter and more detailed presentation, is a characteristic difference rather than something that will disappear with burn-in.

On my 95 which I received from first batch in early 2011, I experienced a shrill sound at first but after about 2 to 3 days I did not experience it. I did a number of comparisons to an Accuphase DD75 in same system and I actually preferred the OPPO after burn-in. I received my 105 yesterday and installed in same system. The 105 sounded quite good right out of the box but I have been playing it constantly since yesterday morning. If anything, I think that the 105 seems more detailed in the upper register but without sounding harsh. I will wait a few days before doing detailed comparisons. The 105 is installed in an audio only 2-channel system with Krell amp and Dali Euphoria5 speakers. For casual viewing I have the OPPO 105 hooked up to a Samsung 40 inch LED TV. This also allows me to view the menu on the OPPO. In a separate projection room I have an OPPO 103 for Region A and an OPPO 93 for Region B. In that room I use bitstream out to a DENON AVP-A1HDCI pre-amp. I use Rotel amplifiers and M&K THX 150 speaker system with JL Audio Fathom 113 sub. Projector is Marantz VP15 and I use a Darbee video enhancer in line from DENON to the projector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/30#post_22597766


On my 95 which I received from first batch in early 2011, I experienced a shrill sound at first but after about 2 to 3 days I did not experience it. I did a number of comparisons to an Accuphase DD75 in same system and I actually preferred the OPPO after burn-in. I received my 105 yesterday and installed in same system. The 105 sounded quite good right out of the box but I have been playing it constantly since yesterday morning. If anything, I think that the 105 seems more detailed in the upper register but without sounding harsh. I will wait a few days before doing detailed comparisons.

Ha! So I didn't imagine it. That is exactly what I described above as the difference I heard with the 105 over the 95....more detailed in the upper register.
 
21 - 40 of 14533 Posts
Top