AVS Forum banner

14121 - 14140 of 14479 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just bought a used/in storage/mint BDP-105 for what I think is a pretty good price ($525). I know the world is going in a different direction (streaming everything) but at that price, i couldnt resist owning a piece of quality hardware and maybe try to put it to use still.
My equipment is as follows:

Marantz NR1605
NVidia Shield for streaming
Oppo BDP-105
Mirage Oasis Omni 6 outdoor speakers as mains
Mirage OMC3 center
NHT SW10 sub
Tivo unit
Xbox one

I got sick of 5.1 or 7.1 with all the speakers and have downsized, now prefer enjoying simple 2 channel audio or sometimes movies with a center channel and a subwoofer.

Any comments/criticisms? I am planning to use the Oppo as a pre-amp ahead of the Marantz and feed the analog audio from the XLR balanced stereo terminals on the Oppo into Marantz the 2 channel audio in and sub. I will connect the USB out of the shield to the Oppo. I will use the subwoofer out terminal on the oppo to connect to the Marantz.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I got sick of 5.1 or 7.1 with all the speakers and have downsized, now prefer enjoying simple 2 channel audio or sometimes movies with a center channel and a subwoofer.

On the audio side of things I agree and find 5.1 is more than enough for me on movies with my little cube speakers. Can't imagine 7.1 or more doing anything for my listening experience with surround sound movies for me personally. My gear allows me to run any configuration down to 2 channel mono with a few remote button pushes, nice for those older classic films I like. And, for music listening nothing I've ever heard beats the a 2 channel set up, with decent speakers, with or without subs. I've only ever used the various outputs on the 105D to feed various headphone amps (and it worked fine) so I can't comment on it's use as preamp for use with speakers.

On the video side of things Oppo always does a great job with their video processing, and my 105D is no exception and I think you got a good deal there. I just spent some time out in the mid-west visiting family last month and had my first exposure to 4K on the latest Sony OLED and several other brands at some dealers and in my brothers home and was very impressed, but only with discs.

D/L'd and streamed content may be convenient and the "future", but I was not happy with some visual, motion related issues I saw and confirmed when I got back home on the east coast and did view some material with dealers here. One local store was downloading to a dedicated multi-terabyte HD and it still didn't look as good as my 10 year old plasma with 105D. One scene in "Passengers" (4K) has Chris Pratt duplicating a scene from 2001 where he is moving along the corridor of a giant hamster wheel. The straight horizontal line seams on the flooring were constantly breaking up and losing alignment viewing the film from this dedicated HD. As soon as I got home I put my BRD copy of "Passengers" on, played the exact same section on my 105D/1080P Pioneer, visually perfect. This is just one of many such examples I've run across. I still see the discs as a better source, same with my music.Two dealers I visited sold 4K players but had none hooked up, D/L and streamed content only!

·
Registered
378 Posts
On the audio side of things I agree and find 5.1 is more than enough for me on movies with my little cube speakers. Can't imagine 7.1 or more doing anything for my listening experience with surround sound movies for me personally. My gear allows me to run any configuration down to 2 channel mono with a few remote button pushes, nice for those older classic films I like. And, for music listening nothing I've ever heard beats the a 2 channel set up, with decent speakers, with or without subs. I've only ever used the various outputs on the 105D to feed various headphone amps (and it worked fine) so I can't comment on it's use as preamp for use with speakers.

On the video side of things Oppo always does a great job with their video processing, and my 105D is no exception and I think you got a good deal there. I just spent some time out in the mid-west visiting family last month and had my first exposure to 4K on the latest Sony OLED and several other brands at some dealers and in my brothers home and was very impressed, but only with discs.

D/L'd and streamed content may be convenient and the "future", but I was not happy with some visual, motion related issues I saw and confirmed when I got back home on the east coast and did view some material with dealers here. One local store was downloading to a dedicated multi-terabyte HD and it still didn't look as good as my 10 year old plasma with 105D. One scene in "Passengers" (4K) has Chris Pratt duplicating a scene from 2001 where he is moving along the corridor of a giant hamster wheel. The straight horizontal line seams on the flooring were constantly breaking up and losing alignment viewing the film from this dedicated HD. As soon as I got home I put my BRD copy of "Passengers" on, played the exact same section on my 105D/1080P Pioneer, visually perfect. This is just one of many such examples I've run across. I still see the discs as a better source, same with my music.Two dealers I visited sold 4K players but had none hooked up, D/L and streamed content only!
Thank you for the response.

I have never listened to music on SACD
how and where do I start to experiment what I had been missing now that I have the Oppo BDP-105?

Also, what are recommended upgrades to replace my Marantz 1605? It needs to have HDMI switching and be able to receive the analog audio out from the Oppo.

It needs to have a small foot print like the 1605. Constraint due to size of the shelf it will be in.
As I mentioned, I plan to use the Oppo as a pre-amp

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,919 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you for the response.

I have never listened to music on SACD
how and where do I start to experiment what I had been missing now that I have the Oppo BDP-105?

Also, what are recommended upgrades to replace my Marantz 1605? It needs to have HDMI switching and be able to receive the analog audio out from the Oppo.

It needs to have a small foot print like the 1605. Constraint due to size of the shelf it will be in.
As I mentioned, I plan to use the Oppo as a pre-amp
First, I would suggest you go on Wikipedia and search under SACD to read what it's about. (1 very short page of info tells the story).

SACD was supposed to be a surround format for music providing longer play times and a higher level of fidelity. I never much cared for it and always felt 2 channels set up right always gave a better illusion, in all sound aspects, for orchestral or chamber music, as well as well recorded jazz, than any surround format. SACD had about as much appeal to me as in-home 3D TV and curved TV screens.

As far as your receiver goes I'm not one to answer that question for you. Since retiring and downsizing to a condo I've been using a Bose V35 5.1 surround system with my 60" Pio plasma. (I know, "no highs, no lows it's...", a bit of an exaggeration but it keeps me on friendly terms with neighbors - and is okay for my film viewing purposes). I keep toying with the idea of a pair of KEF LS50's with or without subs for my finished basement for music only but ...

Most of my serious music listening is now done on a variety of overpriced headphones on 5 different HP amps including the built in one on the 105D. Depending on your pocketbook there's a bewildering array of amps/receivers to choose from for the A/V tie in with HDMI your looking for. I'm sure others here could steer you in the right direction a lot better than I can. It never hurts to visit some dedicated higher end Audio Video dealers or even, ("gulp!"), big box stores, just to see what might be available. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
First, I would suggest you go on Wikipedia and search under SACD to read what it's about. (1 very short page of info tells the story).

SACD was supposed to be a surround format for music providing longer play times and a higher level of fidelity. I never much cared for it and always felt 2 channels set up right always gave a better illusion, in all sound aspects, for orchestral or chamber music, as well as well recorded jazz, than any surround format. SACD had about as much appeal to me as in-home 3D TV and curved TV screens.
SACD was not meant to be just a surround format. It was meant to be a higher resolution audio format. In fact, relatively few SACDs that have been released were in any surround format. Most are just 2-channel stereo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine all are classical and all are multichannel. I care about multichannel as much as I care about 2.0.

Enjoy your 105. It is great. Just play around and come back when you have some experience with it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
But almost all the jazz SACDs I have that were created from DSD or other true high resolution masters are only two channel. Maybe the classical audience insists on surround mixes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just purchased the OPPO 105. I already have two OPPO 95s.

So far I have not determined if one sounds better than the other.
The interface has improved on the 105 a lot faster.
You Tube works a lot better.

I have noticed that all of my USB hard drives work on the 105 without AC power. On the 95 only some of them worked this way.

I have a question about the playlist with music.
If I set up a playlist using the OPPO how can I change or deselect songs?
So far I have to shut off the player and start all over again to make any changes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
105 vs 203 SQ

Anyone own a 105 than moved to the 203? Wondering what you thought about the sound quality (CD/SACD) between the 2. I've had the 203 since it came out and sold off the 105 . Just started to listen to music on the 203 (vinyl is more my passion), I have to say I thought the 203 was doing a hell of a job and though I don't have the 105 to directly compare the two, thought the 203 was a bit better. Anyone else to any comparing?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone own a 105 than moved to the 203? Wondering what you thought about the sound quality (CD/SACD) between the 2. I've had the 203 since it came out and sold off the 105 . Just started to listen to music on the 203 (vinyl is more my passion), I have to say I thought the 203 was doing a hell of a job and though I don't have the 105 to directly compare the two, thought the 203 was a bit better. Anyone else to any comparing?

Thanks!

David

I own a 105 and I have purchased a 203 also. I find that the SQ is better on the 105. I still use the 105 for SACD listening and the 203 for movie viewing.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I tried a few movies on Netflix using the 105 connected to an Ayre QX-5 D/A processor. Some of the movies played fine, but a couple came up with a strange repeating structured, i.e. not white or pink, noise instead of audio. Any ideas about what's going on?

db

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
I tried a few movies on Netflix using the 105 connected to an Ayre QX-5 D/A processor. Some of the movies played fine, but a couple came up with a strange repeating structured, i.e. not white or pink, noise instead of audio. Any ideas about what's going on?

db
That's likely the sound of Dolby Digital bitstream audio, which the QX-5 Twenty can't process, only regular PCM digital audio.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That's likely the sound of Dolby Digital bitstream audio, which the QX-5 Twenty can't process, only regular PCM digital audio.
Thanks, I'll reset the 105 output to PCM 192, and give it a try. I have a 205 in the same rack, but its HDMI interaction with DirecTV is poor, so I'll use it for 4K movies. I reasoned using the QX-5 Twenty would compensate for the DAC of the 105 not being the equal of that of the 205.

db

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Changing the Oppo 105 digital audio output from bitstream to 192K PCM worked. Thanks.

BTW, the 105 audio passed through a QX-5 Twenty makes a fine, although pricey, CD player. But the QX-5 doesn't do DSD.

db

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
BTW, the 105 audio passed through a QX-5 Twenty makes a fine, although pricey, CD player. But the QX-5 doesn't do DSD.
Actually, the QX-5 Twenty does decode DSD.

The problem is it can only do it from ripped or downloaded files, as the only legal way for a disc player to output a DSD bitstream is via HDMI, and the QX-5 Twenty does not have an HDMI input.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Actually, the QX-5 Twenty does decode DSD.

The problem is it can only do it from ripped or downloaded files, as the only legal way for a disc player to output a DSD bitstream is via HDMI, and the QX-5 Twenty does not have an HDMI input.

14121 - 14140 of 14479 Posts