AVS Forum banner
3741 - 3760 of 4080 Posts

·
Registered
22,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog /forum/post/20758980

I think I want to move to an all Hard Drive setup. I have the BDP-80 and its been a while since I posted on this thread!

Does anyone know what the going rate is for selling the BDP-80 and the best place to sell it? Ebay?

thanks in advance

You should get pretty close to retail for the player if it's pristine with all original packing and extras. I'm sure you can sell it here in the marketplace, or eBay for sure if you don't mind the extra fees.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20759140

You should get pretty close to retail for the player if it's pristine with all original packing and extras. I'm sure you can sell it here in the marketplace, or eBay for sure if you don't mind the extra fees.

Thank you so much for responding to my post. But now I am curious as to why I can get close to what I paid for it? Is there something special about this unit that you can't get with other players?

·
Read the FAQ!
37,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog /forum/post/20759664

Thank you so much for responding to my post. But now I am curious as to why I can get close to what I paid for it? Is there something special about this unit that you can't get with other players?

It's popular, and it's not for sale any more. Every now and again Oppo brings a few "refurbished" BDP-80 units for sale on their web site and they all get snapped up in an instant.

--Bob

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
anyone have trouble playing the Limitless blu ray? when i tried to load it, i got the "unknown disc" message. so i did a search on this thread and it was advised to do the BDP80-14-0522 firmware update. so i did and ..... voila! it worked
. i've had my player since feb '10 and this was the first time it didn't play a disc so this was my first firmware update. oppo and this forum rock

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I just got an update on my problem with the BDP-80 not being able to play AVCHD discs with DD+ audio in bitstream mode.

We have confirmed with the decoder engineers that your Dolby Digital Plus files exceed the limitations of the platform. Your AVCHD contains an audio track that is Pure DD+ with 256 samples per framer, which is a sampling rate tnot supported by the MediaTek MT8530 decoder when the player is set to Bit Stream. Similar audio issue can also be observed on models which share the same decoding platform, such as the Sony S370/470/570 series of players.

As usual Oppo CS exceed expectations with their ongoing followup of problems and where solutions may or may not lie.

But as an aside, the DD+ track I had in the AVCHD disc was ripped directly from a HD-DVD. I am not that au fait with the bit rates of DD+ or other HD audio but since the Oppo supports Dolby TrueHD in bitstream mode, I am guessing that the TrueHD stream (and presumably the DTS HD MA) stream do not use 256 samples per framer?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub /forum/post/20762317

anyone have trouble playing the Limitless blu ray? when i tried to load it, i got the "unknown disc" message. so i did a search on this thread and it was advised to do the BDP80-14-0522 firmware update. so i did and ..... voila! it worked
. i've had my player since feb '10 and this was the first time it didn't play a disc so this was my first firmware update. oppo and this forum rock

Played it Saturday night and did not have any problems, but I upgrade whenever notified. While I had seen and enjoyed the movie in the theater, it seemed better upon the second viewing... and the alternate ending was very interesting (but I'm glad it was not the one chosen
).

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20730721

No reason to use anything other than HDMI for vid and audio. The 983 is better for upscaling than the Yamaha, the BDP-80 will be about equal.

Other than 983 having a problem delivering 1080p when hooked through the amp (a problem I believe Yamaha sorted on previous amps, but not on this iteration; went the direct route for video on Oppo's advice), it's been a breeze, much less traumatic than anticipated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tried a quick search but didn't see anything. My issue is not being to access the multichannel feature on some sacd discs. Most play fine but I was listening to One for the Road-Kinks and it defaulted to stereo playback for sacd so I pushed the audio button which according to the manual will allow multi-channel playback and I saw the red symbol which means it won't perform the function. Any suggestions? TIA folks.

·
Registered
22,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhw59 /forum/post/21028656

I tried a quick search but didn't see anything. My issue is not being to access the multichannel feature on some sacd discs. Most play fine but I was listening to One for the Road-Kinks and it defaulted to stereo playback for sacd so I pushed the audio button which according to the manual will allow multi-channel playback and I saw the red symbol which means it won't perform the function. Any suggestions? TIA folks.

Are you certain it even has a multi-channel option? Many hybrid SACDs do not. If the player is set to default to multichannel, and the disc has that it will play.

According to SA-CD.net, that is a stereo title.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I would pass this on to group after emailing Customer Service at Oppo.

"I wanted to pass this along to custumer service at Oppo.

I own a copy of the film Maniac Cop (Blu-Ray) from Synapse Films.

This blu-ray is not recognized as a a movie, the LCD on the player shows "disc unknown".

I tried the disc on a second blu-ray player I have, a Samsung (BDP-3600) and it played just fine."

Lovely first time this has ever happened out of my Blu-Ray movies. I still have the DVD I guess I will keep using it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldclan /forum/post/21055533

I thought I would pass this on to group after emailing Customer Service at Oppo.

"I wanted to pass this along to custumer service at Oppo.

I own a copy of the film Maniac Cop (Blu-Ray) from Synapse Films.

This blu-ray is not recognized as a a movie, the LCD on the player shows "disc unknown".

I tried the disc on a second blu-ray player I have, a Samsung (BDP-3600) and it played just fine."

Lovely first time this has ever happened out of my Blu-Ray movies. I still have the DVD I guess I will keep using it.

so what did they say? i'm guessing a firmware update will take care of it.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,262 Posts
Orb Products Bring Netflix, Pandora, Amazon, Hulu, etc. to Oppo

http://www.orb.com/

I've done some experimentation with this (as part of Oppo Beta Testing) and it appears to work, albeit in a "new product" sort of way.

You buy the "Orb BR" disc for about $25. It includes a USB memory stick that you insert and set up as your Persistent Storage (instead of using the internal Persistent Storage in the Oppo).

Meanwhile, on a Mac or Windows PC you download the free "Orb Caster" application. Orb Caster actually contains the smarts for connecting to the streaming services, as well as providing the ability to access media files from your computer. NOTE: This is a processor heavy application, so be sure to check the minimum speed specs to see if your computer will suffice.

The third piece is user control. This is accomplished either with a "Mini Controller" app on your computer (included with the Orb Caster download), or a free iOS app "Orb Controller". I believe they also have an Android version but I've not played with that.

You fire up Orb Caster on your computer, and make sure it can receive incoming network connections. Then you play the Orb BR disc on your Oppo. Then you fire up your controller app -- whichever one you want to use. NOTE: All three pieces have to be running on the same, local network so they can find each other.

For password services like Netflix, you tell the controller your account email and password and it sends over and saves those in Orb Caster. At that point you can view your Instant Queue, or do Searches. When you select a program to play, Orb Caster establishes the incoming stream and re-streams that to Orb BR on your Oppo.

For media files, you tell Orb Caster which sets of files to index, and they then become available in the controller app. (Orb Caster can also act as a DLNA server, presenting your media files to the DLNA file playing UI in the Oppo itself.)

There are definitely still some strangenesses in all this, and I don't think the playback quality is quite up to native apps yet (given the same network speed in both cases). But as an alternative to no access at all, it's pretty cool!

Definitely something for you early adopters out there to consider. Folks who will only tolerate a bullet-proof streaming solution should probably wait until more reports come in from folks who've tried it.

NOTE 1: The latest version of Orb BR and Orb Caster supports the Oppo BDP-80, BDP-83, BDP-93 and BDP-95. The Orb folks still need to update all the pages on their web site to properly reflect this. Orb BR auto-updates when it launches. The necessary version of Orb Caster is the one available from the public download link on the Orb web site.

NOTE 2: For the BDP-93 and BDP-95, the native apps for Netflix and Pandora are preferable. But Hulu and Amazon access should still be interesting.

--Bob

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,760 ·
Check your spam filters. I asked OPPO directly about your E-Mail, and if you were the person who E-Mailed them on October 8th, at 3:14PM PST, you got the following replay on October 8th, at 4:10PM PST:
Quote:
Most of the time Unknown Disc errors are due to a bad disc master. If at all possible try replacing the disc with another one from the film distributor.

If the replacement disc has the same issues, then we would recommend sending the disc to us for media compatibility testing. With the disc we can determine the cause of your errors, and if possible, resolve them through a future firmware release.

3741 - 3760 of 4080 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.