AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4075 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord /forum/post/17985652

I agree, most average consumers just want to dip their feet in the water and buy a BD player that's simpler, nothing fancy for around $300 bucks. Perfect for my mother who just wants a BD player without going nuts. My 2 cents

Most average consumers don't have a clue what Oppo makes and even $289 is going to be pricey compared to the other names they know and are used to seeing in stores.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
I really doubt that this player is causing concern for Panasonic and Sony as it is a $300 player. Sony's, JVC's, Panasonic's can usually be had for $100 or so shipped to your door if you wait for a sale. PC Richard just had a special for the Panasonic that came to $85 shipped to your door for a 60. Obviously, for people like US psychopaths on this board it causes a quandary though.

Now that being said, I WANT ONE for my bedroom system and I want it NOW!

Of course my bedroom system is a Panny 4000 with a 72" carada screen. I also, naturally, want to dissect it's performance on my big screen in my basement with its 83 brother and pic nits on its performance because of this sickness that is our hobby!

Sigh....they had to release this now as I was just getting some new speakers....

edit: Looks like SatinKzo wastyping to post the same time as me and put it a bit more succinctly than I did...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Hmm. Wonder what a "large screen" is in Oppo's opinion?

I'm guessing the 46" Sharp Aquos in the MB isn't large, but the 110" Stewart Filmscreen in the HT is. So, how about my older Da-Lite 94" in the music/fitness room?

If I buy an '80, I'd be safe with the Sharp. Don't know about the Da-Lite.

Inquiring minds want to know...

(I felt OK posting this because the thread does not exist yet.)

·
Registered
22,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 /forum/post/17985979

Hmm. Wonder what a "large screen" is in Oppo's opinion?

I'm guessing the 46" Sharp Aquos in the MB isn't large, but the 110" Stewart Filmscreen in the HT is. So, how about my older Da-Lite 94" in the music/fitness room?

If I buy an '80, I'd be safe with the Sharp. Don't know about the Da-Lite.

Inquiring minds want to know...

(I felt OK posting this because the thread does not exist yet.)

Although it's not clear on the Oppo site, the screen size recommendation is aimed mainly at DVD playback, and is the same recommendation used to compare the 983 and 980 DVD players.

Disclaimer: this response should not be read until Monday, 1/25.

·
Registered
325 Posts

... sigh ...

I WAS only needing to sort my thoughts between the 83 and SE, now this ...

For right now, I am only downconverting to 720p, but it will be on a very large screen. Not sure that the VRS will be of much consequence?

For 2ch audio, is there reason to think there will be much/any difference between this and the base 83 (over either digital or analog)?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I was expecting them to drop all analog audio outputs. Pleasant surprise that they didn't.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert /forum/post/17986117

I was expecting them to drop all analog audio outputs. Pleasant surprise that they didn't.

Too bad

It looks like they dropped ABT

They should have dropped analog, component, etc and made an 83 with a single HDMI connection.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Verbal /forum/post/17985607

Soc VP must by MTK, simular even same with CA 650BD:

Decoder Chip: Mediatek MTK8520

Video Processor: Mediatek MTK8575

any one remember which mediatek chip the jvc xv bp1 uses?

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/17986246

They are not. Own both. Just curious what chip the jvc uses.

Just kidding. I know OPPO are not low down sneaky @#$%^^&*( like LexiCon

I'm definitely going to get one of these bad boys when hardware modded region free versions are out.

You couldn't by any chance speed up that review? Monday feels like a decade away, I'm so excited!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB /forum/post/17986007

... sigh ...

I WAS only needing to sort my thoughts between the 83 and SE, now this ...

For right now, I am only downconverting to 720p, but it will be on a very large screen. Not sure that the VRS will be of much consequence?

For 2ch audio, is there reason to think there will be much/any difference between this and the base 83 (over either digital or analog)?

As you probably figured out by comparing the specs, the BDP80 loses the dedicated analog stereo outputs as well as DSD-direct DAC's.

For what it's worth, I own the BDP83 and it scales a lot better to 720p onto my 92" projection screen vs the Denon 3800 which has the HQV Realta. If you are in a similar situation, I highly suggest getting the BDP83 instead as I don't expect the Mediatek chip to do the job adequately on its own on a "large" screen.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
WOW. 2 page "owners thread" and no one even owns one yet! This should be a good one. I plan on ordering one on monday as well.

be interesting to hook it up downstairs and feed source direct to my onkyo 3007 and compare scaling with the 83 in my system.

Chris

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Is it is safe to assume Oppo won't offer streaming on any of there players?

The BD-80 looks like a perfect player for my setup but I would really like Netflix and other streaming options.

I also assume the BD-80 will output 480i over HDMI with SD DVDs. Will it output 1080i over component and 1080p/24fps over HDMI at the same time?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/17986353

As you probably figured out by comparing the specs, the BDP80 loses the dedicated analog stereo outputs as well as DSD-direct DAC's.

For what it's worth, I own the BDP83 and it scales a lot better to 720p onto my 92" projection screen vs the Denon 3800 which has the HQV Realta. If you are in a similar situation, I highly suggest getting the BDP83 instead as I don't expect the Mediatek chip to do the job adequately on its own on a "large" screen.

What is DSD-direct DAC's? Does this matter if you want to send DSD directly to the processor via HDMI?

Edit: I think I understand. The 83 will output DSD direct over the analog and HDMI outputs. The 80 will convert it to PCM over the analog ouput. It appears they both will output DSD over HDMI.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin /forum/post/17986424

What is DSD-direct DAC's? Does this matter if you want to send DSD directly to the processor via HDMI?

"DSD-direct DAC's" are DACs that can convert a DSD bitstream to analog without having to have the bitstream converted to PCM first. It relates solely to the analog output, so there's no need to worry about this if you are using the HDMI output for audio.

21 - 40 of 4075 Posts