AVS Forum banner

4061 - 4075 of 4075 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is this a firmware upgrade that allows a BDP-80 to work with HDMI 2.0 inputs? Would it be okay to reach out to Oppo and request this firmware as a way to future proof my machine? I'm currently using it to play CDs and SA-CDs only via HDMI and I'd like to continue doing that with future equipment upgrades.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,468 Posts
Is this a firmware upgrade that allows a BDP-80 to work with HDMI 2.0 inputs? Would it be okay to reach out to Oppo and request this firmware as a way to future proof my machine? I'm currently using it to play CDs and SA-CDs only via HDMI and I'd like to continue doing that with future equipment upgrades.
The firmware has not been released publicly. That's likely because it has some side effects in certain configurations. So installing it now when you are still using gear that does not need it may come with some gotchas. It wouldn't hurt to talk to OPPO, but understand if they recommend you do NOT install that firmware now -- given what you tell them about your current gear -- there is likely a good reason.
--Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a bunch of minidisc records, and i really like the format and sound ( I know it's compress ) but damm it's amazing, I used to copy discs with my old panasonic DVD S35 with optical cable and everything was ok, but with BDP-80 minidisc recorder can't split tracks automatically , all I got is a large file, I know i can cut and separate tracks but the idea of digital optical cable is transfer as original disc, I tried changing bitstream, PCM, 48Kh to 96Kh with no luck, any ideas?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anybody have the loading tray stop opening on their BDP-80? I haven't pulled it apart yet - but will tonight if this is likely something simple that I can fix at home.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Anybody have the loading tray stop opening on their BDP-80? I haven't pulled it apart yet - but will tonight if this is likely something simple that I can fix at home.

Thanks,

Ryan
Nope, my parent's unit is chugging along. I'd get in touch with OPPO and ask them about it. They are very good in support, worst case you send it in to them and they turn it around very quickly.

They are email support only as far as I know, but they respond well from all reports.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm having the opposite problem, my tray won't stay OPEN. When I use the eject button on the unit, the tray opens, sometimes stays open for several seconds, but then closes on its own. Sometimes it does it when I have a disc partly in the tray and bites the disc! It FEELS like it's less likely to do it when I use the remote to eject, but I never think of it until after the fact. BUT, it doesn't do it ALL the time.

Also, recently, I've noticed that when I pause a BR for a bathroom break, it will lock up hard and I'll have to force it to power down. It's happened the last two movies I've watched. It's possible it a mastering issue I guess (Alien and Aliens from the Quadrilogy sets), but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. Most of the time, I'll watch a movie straight through, so maybe it just doesn't come up.

Considering sending it in for repair.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I'm having the opposite problem, my tray won't stay OPEN. When I use the eject button on the unit, the tray opens, sometimes stays open for several seconds, but then closes on its own. Sometimes it does it when I have a disc partly in the tray and bites the disc! It FEELS like it's less likely to do it when I use the remote to eject, but I never think of it until after the fact. BUT, it doesn't do it ALL the time.

Also, recently, I've noticed that when I pause a BR for a bathroom break, it will lock up hard and I'll have to force it to power down. It's happened the last two movies I've watched. It's possible it a mastering issue I guess (Alien and Aliens from the Quadrilogy sets), but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. Most of the time, I'll watch a movie straight through, so maybe it just doesn't come up.

Considering sending it in for repair.
I have three OPPOs that I'm thinking of sending in for a checkup before OPPO walks off into the sunset. Not that they have any issues, just in case there's some borderline issue that will expose itself like a bad actor in a broadway play when it's too late and you're already in your seats with popcorn.

If you already have some issue, I'd send it in if it was me and just have everything set for the next ten years.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have three OPPOs that I'm thinking of sending in for a checkup before OPPO walks off into the sunset. Not that they have any issues, just in case there's some borderline issue that will expose itself like a bad actor in a broadway play when it's too late and you're already in your seats with popcorn.

If you already have some issue, I'd send it in if it was me and just have everything set for the next ten years.
I'm sure you are right. Good thing I still have all the original shipping boxes!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

Thanks,

Ryan
The work-around is to always leave a disc in it. Self-repair isn't an option unless you can source new parts. Mainly it just needs the top plate of the drive, which includes the little plastic spinner. Email Oppo support if you have questions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The work-around is to always leave a disc in it. Self-repair isn't an option unless you can source new parts. Mainly it just needs the top plate of the drive, which includes the little plastic spinner. Email Oppo support if you have questions.
Incidently, I just watched a Youtube video of someone fixing his original XBox drive which only opened sometimes.
He opened the drive up and placed a sticker on that little plastic spinner that's on the top plate of the drive. It cured it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oppo BDP-80 Slow Motion & Zoom Controls

I just bumped into your big Oppo BDP-80 thread, one of the three players on my list now that my $$$ Cambridge Audio 650BD is likely on its way to the trash. You can read all about my continuing journey through hell here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/3103020-pioneer-bdp-95fd-bdp-05fd-zoom-control-part-1-3-a.html#post58836564

But (hopefully) on a brighter note regarding the 80’s playback features, I’m no expert at all on this but I think it’s the Java BD disc authoring that allows studios to lock out zoom and/or slo mo player control when playing BDs.

However, can the 80 do slow motion on MOST BDs as well as DVDs?

And zoom on most BDs?

But if yes and/or yes, do any of the firmware updates disable this capability?

Has anyone seen an 80 for sale lately, with or without remote?

If yes, then the next step is for me to call Oppo to confirm how long they will continue to stock the most failure prone parts for the 80.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oppo BDP-83, 93, 95 Slow Motion & Zoom Controls

S-video and composite are very convenient for my bedroom 32” CRT TV (lol) set up and only the BDP-80 has both. But I also play lots of DVDs and the 80 is said to have considerably less DVD quality than the other models. https://www.cnet.com/reviews/oppo-bdp-80-review/ Ditto for the analog audio quality.

The 83, 93 and 95 all have composite video output. But are their slow motion and zoom control any better than the 80’s?

Slow motion and zoom control over BDs would be a BIG plus!

Again, I’d have to check with Oppo Support for how long parts will be available, assuming I can find any of these other models for sale.

4061 - 4075 of 4075 Posts