AVS Forum banner

41581 - 41600 of 41610 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have my BDP-83 since they first came out and it is still in perfect working order. I had it once serviced and had no issue. they told me what services they performed on the unit and it was returned to me without any issue.
That's good to know. But they said no servicing now due to pandemic, maybe next month. Hope they come back.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's good to know. But they said no servicing now due to pandemic, maybe next month. Hope they come back.
I've got the Oppo 95 which developed disc reading failures some months ago. Those at the Oppo 95 owners thread advised shipping it to Oppo Support. As all Oppos are superb BD players, popular enough for Oppo to keep offering factory service and because the total repair bill including shipping was under $200. I went for it. Oppo said they replaced the disc loader, checked all circuitry and verified firmware updates. After 3 weeks of nightly use no problems. If you want to keep your Oppo 83 I'd jump on it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
A few years ago, prior to Oppo getting out of the business, I had my BDP-83 drawer replaced and it was a wonderful experience. The player is still going strong today.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A few years ago, prior to Oppo getting out of the business, I had my BDP-83 drawer replaced and it was a wonderful experience. The player is still going strong today.
I had my mainboard fail some years ago on my 83 (out of warranty) and they sent me a new one (to Australia) for about $150 USD along with installation instructions. It's been perfect ever since. not many companies would do that and I was impressed.

I just wish I'd have had enough money to by their last 4k BD player before they stopped production - my Xbox One S is great, but nothing beats a high-quality dedicated player!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very encouraging on the service. Will have to check with them again in a bit to see if they're resuming it. In the meantime I cleaned the lenses and that seems to have helped a bit. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Oppo service is $99 they said. Sounds like they can fix sticking tray and DVD skipping. I was wondering if it's worth it. For $99 I'd expect the problems to be solved and the player to work as expected for several more years. Not sure what peoples' experience has been with service, though.
Did they put you on a list of some sort?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did they put you on a list of some sort?
I didn't request a return for repair. Just inquired whether they were still doing it and what it might cost since I suspect I may need it before too long. They replied and said they weren't doing anything now, so I didn't pursue further. Oppo didn't sound very certain about resuming repair work, though. Hope they do, but considering how many other things have terminated for good with this pandemic, who knows.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,874 Posts
I didn't request a return for repair. Just inquired whether they were still doing it and what it might cost since I suspect I may need it before too long. They replied and said they weren't doing anything now, so I didn't pursue further. Oppo didn't sound very certain about resuming repair work, though. Hope they do, but considering how many other things have terminated for good with this pandemic, who knows.
As long as there are still Oppo players with warranty coverage remaining, I believe they'll continue doing repairs. Beyond that, it may be a balance of what they have left for spare parts and how many players are coming in for repairs, but I'm sure we'll see them close for good at some point. But if they start doing repairs again, I'd suggest sending your player in sooner than later if you want them to fix it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, they can't keep up forever w/o new sales. I'll check back with them periodically to see if they've resumed repairs. In the meanwhile, even tho the tray sticks on the first open after powering up, it opens on the next and subsequent tries. And at the moment DVDs seem to be playing again after cleaning the laser lenses. If it stays like it is I won't need any repairs, but I wouldn't bet on that. I'd sure hate to dump it in an e-waste bin if it fails and there's no more service.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks like Oppo is back to doing repair work. However they indicated that some issues are compatibility that cannot be resolved. Since lens cleaning didn't help but for a moment, it's either repair it or junk it. And considering the repair cost plus compatibility issues, I think it's reached the end of the road. So farewell, old friend.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Looks like Oppo is back to doing repair work. However they indicated that some issues are compatibility that cannot be resolved. Since lens cleaning didn't help but for a moment, it's either repair it or junk it. And considering the repair cost plus compatibility issues, I think it's reached the end of the road. So farewell, old friend.
I've had my Oppo BDP-83 since it originally came out and it is still in working order. I agree with you if the time comes when the machine does not work properly, its time to move on to something else. I definitely got my money's worth out of this machine.

·
Registered
22,387 Posts
You can still sell a non-working BDP-83 on eBay for a fair amount. OR go ahead and get it repaired then sell it for twice that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As I see it, the problem with simply, "moving on to something else" is, what "something else" is out there to "move on to" that is as good the BDP-83 in terms of DVD upscaling picture quality as well as being modifiable to all-code all-region play for both DVD and Blu-Ray, now that OPPO is out of the business and the few remaining old-stock OPPO UDP-203s are so astronomically priced? What (if any) are the reasonably available alternatives for "moving on to" that meet the objectives of high quality DVD upscaling & all-code all-region DVD and Blu-Ray - plus, hopefully, are new enough to also play 4k UHD HDR (i.e. the one thing I'd want that the BDP-83 doesn't do)?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oppo mentioned a $99 repair charge but didn't indicate if that covered everything or not. Haven't heard back from them yet. I see some on eBay from about $150-$350 or so. Might be able to fix & sell to make it worthwhile, or might not do much more than break even. Already have a UHD player and was thinking of using the Oppo for otherwise to save wear on the UHD - since there might not be any decent replacements for that one when it starts getting old. But, I agree, replace the Oppo with what? The current BD players are like toys in comparison - push a button on the front and you'll probably push the whole thing back off the shelf.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,874 Posts
Oppo mentioned a $99 repair charge but didn't indicate if that covered everything or not. Haven't heard back from them yet. I see some on eBay from about $150-$350 or so. Might be able to fix & sell to make it worthwhile, or might not do much more than break even. Already have a UHD player and was thinking of using the Oppo for otherwise to save wear on the UHD - since there might not be any decent replacements for that one when it starts getting old. But, I agree, replace the Oppo with what? The current BD players are like toys in comparison - push a button on the front and you'll probably push the whole thing back off the shelf.
Oppo's repair charges have always been for whatever it takes to repair the player and include return shipping. They have been known, in the past, to go as far as replacing cosmetic parts that are scratched at no extra charge, but parts inventory levels may dictate how much more of that they can do. So you ship it to them at your expense and then pay $99 to get it repaired and shipped back home.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
You can still sell a non-working BDP-83 on eBay for a fair amount. OR go ahead and get it repaired then sell it for twice that.
What do you think I can fetch for a Oppo 83 Nuforce Edition ? Wonky transport (CDs ok, but the Blu Ray laser seems to be faulty..) I tried replacing the laser myself but it doesn't seem to work..

41581 - 41600 of 41610 Posts