·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The last time I was this excited about a product was when I was

about to receive my Pioneer PRO-151.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am one of the Fortunate 50. Over the years, I have received some very good information and advise, as well as respectful answers to many of my questions on this Forum. I have what probably would be described as a mid-level knowledge of all things home theatre, and have a mid-level system as well (Samsung 67" 750 LED DLP TV which replaced a Pioneer Elite Pro 730 RPCRT TV, a new Pioneer Elite receiver, a Toshiba XA2 HDDVD player, a Oppo 983H, and a number of Blu Ray players including the Pioneer 51FD, Panasonic BD-35, and LG BH-200. I use Monoprice cables.

I would be happy to now give back to this Forum by testing out or trying out the various features and goodies the BDP-83. I expect to receive my player soon since I live in Northern California, a couple hundred miles from Mountain View.

If you like, please post what you would like me to test out on the BDP-83 and/or observe, and Ill report my findings back to this Forum.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/15916571

Wow, they let in people from Jersey?

I was shocked too.

Feels like I won the lottery.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens /forum/post/15916581

I am one of the Fortunate 50. Over the years, I have received some very good information and advise, as well as respectful answers to many of my questions on this Forum. I have what probably would be described as a mid-level knowledge of all things home theatre, and have a mid-level system as well (Samsung 67" 750 LED DLP TV which replaced a Pioneer Elite Pro 730 RPCRT TV, a new Pioneer Elite receiver, a Toshiba XA2 HDDVD player, a Oppo 983H, and a number of Blu Ray players including the Pioneer 51FD, Panasonic BD-35, and LG BH-200. I use Monoprice cables.

I would be happy to now give back to this Forum by testing out or trying out the various features and goodies the BDP-83. I expect to receive my player soon since I live in Northern California, a couple hundred miles from Mountain View.

If you like, please post what you would like me to test out on the BDP-83 and/or observe, and Ill report my findings back to this Forum.

+1

I'd be glad to test anything for my fellow avs members.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/15916019

Under-priced by about $200 IMHO. Under-priced by about $3700 according to Denon.

Actually, according to the new Denon hubris, about $4,001.00 under-priced. Have you seen the latest posting for the Denon DVD-A1UDC1 at their site -- UNBELIEVABLE !!!

But, C'mon now !!! $499.00 is a totally justifiable and reasonable price, and it would just spell total doom and damnation for Oppo to even think about increasing it for the official release
. You beta-testers and EAP winners should not screw with us-others' already somewhat despondent and delicate loser-mentalities.

-- da Choge

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
I'd like to know the extent of adjustments for analog audio.

Does it have adjustable crossover, distance as well as individual level adjustments?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/15916631

Does it have adjustable crossover, distance as well as individual level adjustments?

One difference this time around is that the Speaker adjustments only effects the analog outputs. HDMI, even when HDMI is sending a LPCM signal, is unaffected by the Speaker adjustments.

No adjustable cross-over. It is set to 80Hz (like the previous OPPO products). This is something I have requested to be updated in a future firmware release, as I am more concerned about hammering down the core performance of the player first.

Speaker Distances are set like the previous players as pairs and the Surround and Rear Surround speakers can't be set further from the listening position than the Front speakers.

Channel Trims are set per speaker +/-10dB.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/15916679

Speaker Distances are set like the previous players as pairs and the Surround and Rear Surround speakers can't be set further from the listening position than the Front speakers.

Why do you think that is? i saw this on another player once before...or maybe it was a receiver.

My fronts are 11 feet from seating position while my rears are more like 13 feet.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/15916658

I disagree.

Jim -

You disagree that $499.00 would be a fair official release price or do you disagree that early-adopters have to pay $499.00 (which possibly could become $599.00 @ official release; at least according to previous posts)? I know what you're saying, but to be involved with a product development like the BDP-83, even on a secondary/tertiary level, would be totally worth it to me. But, sadly, Oppo did not invite me to participate; if they did, I would have jumped at the chance without any regrets. In any case, I trust that you realize my post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

-- da Choge (john)

PS. And I don't think that many, if any, early adopter selectees are bugged about their status.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/15916693

Why do you think that is? i saw this on another player once before...or maybe it was a receiver.

It has to do with the way that Dolby Digital recommends decoding multi-channel audio. In order to use the player for Channel Distance compensation, you can't have the Surrounds or Rear Surrounds further than your main speakers. If they are further, just leave them at the same distance setting as the mains.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Well after getting an EAP email from Oppo yesterday I thought I would be one of them , so I canceled my order for a BDP-51FD from 6th Ave. Electronics. But I guess not. After thinking about it I guess maybe its not so bad , heck it may not be as great of a player as expected.

I guess if there is anything id like the early adopters to do , its just one think. When you get your BDP-83 , plug it in and fire it up expecting to find faults. I wanna see some hardcore very critical reviews. Just be honest and do you best to find its faults early adopters. That is all I ask.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Oh, if you want critical, click your heels three times while saying "Bob Pariseau". He will give you a dissertation on all the faults the player has. The guy is a machine.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I would very much like to know from each owner the following.

1.) What processor/receiver (with HDMI 1.1 or greater) do you own?

2.) What difference do you notice using the analog outputs of the Oppo with hi res audio vs sending a PCM signal or bit-streaming to your processor/receiver.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Originally Posted by da Choge
But, C'mon now !!! $499.00 is a totally justifiable and reasonable price, and it would just spell total doom and damnation for Oppo to even think about increasing it for the official release

Totally justifiable IF it delivers.

Is Oppo going to allow returns for early adopters who are unhappy with it?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/15916679

Can the side and rear surrounds be set closer than the fronts?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/15916739

2.) What difference do you notice using the analog outputs of the Oppo with hi res audio vs sending a PCM signal or bit-streaming to your processor/receiver.

I enjoy the sound of MP3s and love matrixing CDs to 5.1 using DTS Neo 6 Music, so I will abstain from answering your inquiry.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/15916756

Can the side and rear surrounds be set closer than the fronts?

You can set any of the speakers closer than the mains. You just can't set the other speakers further than the mains.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge /forum/post/15916698

Jim -

You disagree that $499.00 would be a fair official release price or do you disagree that early-adopters have to pay $499.00 (which possibly could become $599.00 @ official release; at least according to previous posts)? I know what you're saying, but to be involved with a product development like the BDP-83, even on a secondary/tertiary level, would be totally worth it to me. But, sadly, Oppo did not invite me to participate; if they did, I would have jumped at the chance without any regrets. In any case, I trust that you realize my post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

-- da Choge (john)

PS. And I don't think that many, if any, early adopter selectees are bugged about their status.

That really wasn't that clear after rereading it.

What I intended to say is that I think its very reasonable to give these testers a price break for their help and that the price of the player once released would be more.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15916753

Is Oppo going to allow returns for early adopters who are unhappy with it?

From the Terms and Conditions :
Quote:
For the period beginning at the purchase date and ending 30 days after the BDP-83 official release date, the customer can return the player for a full refund of the purchase price and sales tax (if any). The initial shipping and handling cost is non-refundable.

61 - 80 of 41610 Posts