AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 28958 Posts

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There is no real difference in PQ between players when playing back Blu-ray content. The advantage of the BDP-93 is that it can do things like Noise Reduction. This is important for some Blu-ray titles which are older catalog releases which received no remastering. The "Tommy Boy" and "Home Alone" type releases will look better on the BDP-93 as you can remove some of the inherent noise in these poor releases.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/19525667

Actually, no. This is what I requesting. markrubin made a post with similar sentiments, but the language, desire, and edit are all mine.

Actually, Neuromancer, you're not really requesting that only owners should post here are you? Non-owners often need to ask questions before they buy. Should they not post in this thread?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa /forum/post/0

Actually, Neuromancer, you're not really requesting that only owners should post here are you? Non-owners often need to ask questions before they buy. Should they not post in this thread?

No. The point of saying "Owner's Thread" is to reduce the talking of subjects not related to the use or operation of the player. This includes, but is not limited to, talking about making a purchase, posting about the player being shipped or received, or extolling the merits of high quality power or analog audio cables.

Anyone can post here, just make sure it is about the player's hardware and software capabilities or performance.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/19525727

There is no real difference in PQ between players when playing back Blu-ray content. The advantage of the BDP-93 is that it can do things like Noise Reduction. This is important for some Blu-ray titles which are older catalog releases which received no remastering. The "Tommy Boy" and "Home Alone" type releases will look better on the BDP-93 as you can remove some of the inherent noise in these poor releases.

I'm going to lean more to the "players do matter" side of this argument. There are things that go on in the video path of every Blu-Ray player and it is possible for one player to do them better than another. For example, take color upsampling as it might affect Deep Color output.

There are also factory installed limitations in players. For example, the PS3 does not de-interlace 1080i Blu-Ray content.

And then of course there are outright bugs.

The 83 has a well deserved reputation for being an excellent Blu-Ray player as regards video quality. There are still a few issues being worked on in the current 93 firmware, but I'm starting to see signs the 93 may end up being even better than the 83.

Add audio into the mix and things get even more interesting. For example the PS3 will not play lossless audio tracks from 3D discs. You get the lossy compatibility track instead.

Keep in mind some of the differences here can be subtle. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

The jury must remain out on the 93 until the first release firmware reaches production status.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishak /forum/post/0

is there a noticable difference when playing dvds

Depends on the video source. Anime will always look best on the PS3 because it has been programmed for them. Some odd cadences will also look better on the PS3. But overall most contents will look identical.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I had the player for a few days and I agree with your post. it will be better then 83 if they are able to fix the few problems. I was a bit worried at first at a few bugs, but it was not as bad as I thought.

Jacob

·
Read the FAQ!
35,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishak /forum/post/19525754

is there a noticable difference when playing dvds

Yes. If you know what to look for.

For example, the PS3 has a pretty limited set of de-interlacing cases which it will handle correctly. And you have no choice but to let the PS3 de-interlace SD-DVDs for you -- no 480i output option on its HDMI.

In the 83 discussion thread you'll find exhaustive discussion of this sort of stuff.

As with Blu-Ray, there are some SD-DVD issues still being worked on in the 93, but I know that Oppo is taking SD-DVD as seriously on the 93 as they did on the 83.

--Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a ps3 through a av receiver if i run a oppo player direct to the tv instead of a av receiver will there be any difference in pq

·
Read the FAQ!
35,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishak /forum/post/19525865

i have a ps3 through a av receiver if i run a oppo player direct to the tv instead of a av receiver will there be any difference in pq

Not enough info. Does your receiver do anything to screw up video passing through it? If not, then running the Oppo video through the receiver would be the same as running it direct to your TV.

--Bob

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
What's the advantage of the Oppo vs one of the other players with dual HDMI (like the Samsung 7900 for $250)and something like the Neo 550 (for $200). That combination would be $50 cheaper, for example.

I know the Oppo would probably have better upscaling of DVD, but I'm strictly Blu now. I also know it would have the advantage of one box, but I would think the Neo 550 would be able to do a bit more than the Oppo. I also have no need for a universal player, or analog audio. I realize customer support and build quality would be superior, but much like getting audio seperates, it would also be easier to swap/upgrade the Samsung or 550 if something better came out next year.

What else am I missing?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/0

What's the advantage of the Oppo vs one of the other players with dual HDMI (like the Samsung 7900 for $250)and something like the Neo 550 (for $200). That combination would be $50 cheaper, for example.

The main benefits are that you know you are getting the absolute best picture and audio without any false enhancements, you have access to a universal media player (DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, DVD-Video, and Blu-ra), you have access to fast and informative customer service, the build quality and expected life expectancy of the player is done to a higher standard.

OPPO also usually upgrades their firmware on a fairly regular basis, and the firmwares do make things (usually) for the better.t.

Quote:
I also have no need for a universal player, or analog audio.

If you are just looking at Blu-ray performance there is nothing really demanding to require the premium price.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If the 93 operates the same as the 83, there are other advantages on top of the superior video/audio aspects.

For example, being able to bring up the setup menu when a disc is playing. Changing audio tracks when a disc is playing. Enabling and Disabling the captions when a disc is playing. (When the disc allows these operations, of course.)

Not all players allow these operations and having to stop a disc, go to the menu and make a change and then resume is a real PITA avoided by the Oppo players - a feat that is taken for granted but greatly appreciated.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Neuromancer, when you get a chance can you update the Internet Streaming Services "spoiler" entries to indicate US only?

I'm hoping that OPPO will be adding the related Canadian version of these services on a future firmware release, but until that time the front page post will be a quick way to inform those of us living outside of the US.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Changed the text to:

Blockbuster (United States only).

Netflix (United States only. Canada streaming is still going through certification. ETA is early-next-year for Canada Netflix streaming)

·
Registered
22,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/19525887

What else am I missing?

How about customer support and actual bug fixes?

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor /forum/post/19526352

Just ordered the 93, but still a little concerned that future players might have some HW changes beyond just the anticipated FM. I know it has been said only FW changes, but what is the real risk? Really none?

None, since even if they change it, you can return the player for a full refund up to 30 days after retail launch.

21 - 40 of 28958 Posts