AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 12086 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Just received an e-mail from OPPO and my 95 was shipped today, Monday (1/31/11), via Fed Ex.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just picked mine up. Only 4 there when I got there, so must have been a busy day at Oppo.

I have never seen a better packed audio device. What care and thought.

So, while there I asked if I could chat with an engineer. When I did, I asked if there were different opamps on the balanced and unbalanced stereo outs. There are.

They are both National Semiconductor, but in the same family. the balanced uses duals and come off the DAC at a different point which is balanced. So they do not recommend unbalancing the balanced output by either telescoping the shied or tying cold to ground. Say that the noise floor and distortion will rise. But, they also say the distortion could add warmth and sound a bit more "tube like" so it can be tried. But I think I will avoid it.

Will take me through sometime tomorrow to unrack my Denon and get this one in and configured so I can try basic tests. If it sounds anything like its packaged, I'm sure I am going to be pleased.

~Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock /forum/post/19928144

Is the Oppo 95 volume control for Analog signal still recommended at 80% or above for best results?

Haven't read the manual yet. Is the Oppo volume just for analog? I would think so. And I am also interested in the recommended setting.

~Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Actually 3 7/16ths at the tallest part which is the faceplate and a 16th less at the chassis.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock /forum/post/19928144

Is the Oppo 95 volume control for Analog signal still recommended at 80% or above for best results?

You can use it at any level you want. Volume controls are still done digitally, but there is no loss of resolution when running through the Sabre32 ES9018 (32-bit DAC mitigates this).

You should still want to control the volume at the device which is closer to the speakers than the source device. The reason for this that any time that the volume is decreased, the dynamic range is reduced as the noise floor remains the same. If you have no control over the volume downstream, then you will need to use the controls on the player.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop /forum/post/0

Haven't read the manual yet. Is the Oppo volume just for analog? I would think so. And I am also interested in the recommended setting.

~Bob

Volume is just for Analog. Only Mute applies to the digital audio outputs.

Use whatever setting you like. If you have external volume control for the analog, might as well start at 100 in the Oppo.

--Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/19928814

You can use it at any level you want. Volume controls are now done through the DAC and not the SoC, so it is an analog trim rather than a digital one.

So, can I assume then that the control is cut only and therefore will not affect the headroom? If so, 100 is fine and likely -10 or .775V. If it is active though, then 100% might cut the headroom in the circuit. Would be good to know.

~Bob

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
At 100% of volume is the gain set at 0 with the 95 both for 2Ch and M/C?

Ya my 95 is on its way, but there is going to be a big Blizzard here in Chicago so who knows when the 95 will show up at my door.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln /forum/post/19928913

Here are the discs I used for a not so critical listening test with the SE:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17773556

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17758447

That said, all these disc are of excellent quality and I use each to highlight different areas in the system. BTW, the Getz/Gilberto SACD is the album I can't not listen to: the music just pours out of the speakers and I'm drawn in every time

Here are the links to CD and Stereo SACDs

I'd be especially interested in hearing comments playing:

1. "Jeff Beck, Live At Ronnie Scott's"- pristine and explosive playing by Vinnie Colaiuta drummer supreme, and young bassist Tal Wilkenfeld, all projected very nice in this BD

2. Yellow Jackets, "Time Squared"- great material on this SACD

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/19929114

I'd be especially interested in hearing comments playing:
1. "Jeff Beck, Live At Ronnie Scott's"- pristine and explosive playing by Vinnie Colaiuta drummer supreme, and young bassist Tal Wilkenfeld, all projected very nice in this BD

2. Yellow Jackets, "Time Squared"- great material on this SACD

Another "good" comparison disc would be the Return to Forever concert BD from Montreux-2008. I find that this is my new "reference disc" for showing off what my system is capable of in a concert type setting.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcomed email from Oppo today: FedEx scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Storm watch forecast for Tuesday. Wishing my BDP-95 arrives first.

I will want to compare my 95 with my 83SE (upgrade by Oppo) before shipping the 83SE back to Oppo for repairs to the tray mechanism (?) which coincidentally after the last beta FW upgrade in August 2010 faltered, now balks and won't open for several attempts on first power-up of the day. Persistence works eventually to get it to open to receive a disc and after that the mechanism functions "consistently" until power-off.

Several months ago I resurrected my KEF 107s (with Kube) circa 1986, unpacked my Nakamichi PA-5 and CA-7, and started listening to 2ch CD/SACD (foregoing the Mch layer which I listen to using 7.1 Atlantic Technology 450THX system (including their subwoofer 325W) using a Yamaha AV DSP A1 (no HDMI) 110W. Set speakers using Cardas's formula for speaker placement. As my listening room is 22X13X8.4, the "sweet spot" is a nearfield listening position 74" equilaterally from each speaker (separated the same distance as well as from the front wall). Leaving out the other tweaks (cabling, etc.) for obvious reasons.

All things considered YMMV. For me, with what I have available at the moment, 2ch with 83SE has never been better with this configuration. 2ch is (was) preferred though I enjoy m.ch recordings (what's not to like?).

Storm?
Hmm! Storm! Stay home! Set up BDP-95! Listen to 95 and compare with 83SE.

Best,

Richard

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REShaman /forum/post/19929387

Welcomed email from Oppo today: FedEx scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Storm watch forecast for Tuesday. Wishing my BDP-95 arrives first.

I will want to compare my 95 with my 83SE (upgrade by Oppo) before shipping the 83SE back to Oppo for repairs to the tray mechanism (?) which coincidentally after the last beta FW upgrade in August 2010 faltered, now balks and won't open for several attempts on first power-up of the day. Persistence works eventually to get it to open to receive a disc and after that the mechanism functions "consistently" until power-off.

Several months ago I resurrected my KEF 107s (with Kube) circa 1986, unpacked my Nakamichi PA-5 and CA-7, and started listening to 2ch CD/SACD (foregoing the Mch layer which I listen to using 7.1 Atlantic Technology 450THX system (including their subwoofer 325W) using a Yamaha AV DSP A1 (no HDMI) 110W. Set speakers using Cardas's formula for speaker placement. As my listening room is 22X13X8.4, the "sweet spot" is a nearfield listening position 74" equilaterally from each speaker (separated the same distance as well as from the front wall). Leaving out the other tweaks (cabling, etc.) for obvious reasons.

All things considered YMMV. For me, with what I have available at the moment, 2ch with 83SE has never been better with this configuration. 2ch is (was) preferred though I enjoy m.ch recordings (what's not to like?).

Storm?
Hmm! Storm! Stay home! Set up BDP-95! Listen to 95 and compare with 83SE.

Best,

Richard

A very nice setup, Richard. I had a pair of KEF 104/2s for many, many years - wish I still had 'em says it all

Weren't you looking at the Parasound P7? Is that part of your MCH layer?

Styln

21 - 40 of 12086 Posts