AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 12112 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read earlier in this thread about volume control. Can this unit hook directly into an amplifier via rca or balanced xlr, or does it need a preprocessor?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop /forum/post/19934728

I ran through setups before trying anything. Must say the audio setup is the least intuitive I have ever seen in term of what button moves to what function. Sub level was incredibly low so I started by boosting it 10 DB, then having to trim down all other levels between 4 and 6 dB.

~Bob

Bob ;theres a good reason for the low lfe ; if your pre pro has a lfe boost its better to do that there than in the player due to the risk of clipping during loud passages . From the 83 faq which applies here too ;
Quote:
The OPPO outputs analog LFE -10db when speakers are set to large and -15db when any speakers are set to small.

If you have any speaker set to small a 15db boost is required due to redirected bass from the satellite speakers
Best to err on the side of caution [if you can] considering the lfe on some blurays

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop /forum/post/19935539

OK. A few things solved. The brightness is gone and I have now balanced the inputs on the proc (which I did not need to previously, but likely not an issue) and 5.1 and stereo now have the same gain. Sounding much better, but I need a broader sample.

I do hear a difference between the MCH and Stereo outputs. Too soon to tell what.

And I am hearing static diginoise on live recordings burned to disc from wav files I have never heard on these discs before. Perhaps always there and my CD and Denon never reproduced it? Or perhaps the Oppo is having a little trouble with these discs.

Anyway, the worst first problems now solved and I can dig a little deeper.

Sorry for sounding any alarms, but it took a little for me to get all things configured right across my system so I can now listen a bit more critically.

~Bob

Glad it's sounding better for you now! Care to share what caused the initial brightness in you system... proc settings?

Thanks,

Styln

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK, last post of the night before I pack it in for today.

I know my processor is a passthrough for 5.1 but was unsure if the the stereo inputs were analog passthrough as well. Evidently they are not which is why I am hearing such a difference between the 5.1 and stereo outs of the Oppo. I am using two different bass management systems. Both are sounding good, though. But different. At the moment maybe not a fair comparison since I could easily have the two systems set a bit different.

So before anyone makes a judgment call based on my comments, remember I can still not have everything set optimally and my impressions may not yet be based on the best this player can do. Its a work in progress for me and I am beginning to get results, but not dialed in yet.

Now, I also have the Oppo set for downmixing to 5.1. I would hate to have to go through the menu structure to change that to two channel before playing a two channel disc, but would that have a major effect on the sound when listening to analog from the 5.1 outs? I have not tried it yet, but there may be a difference with those settings as well.

Last, I swore I saw a list of tips - could have been for the 93, but included things like how to bypass the opening "coming attractions" and go right to chapter one and the like. Though one or two were worth remembering and now cannot find it. Pointer appreciated. I do think it was on these forums and maybe even in someone's sig?

~Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt /forum/post/19935625

Bob ;theres a good reason for the low lfe ; if your pre pro has a lfe boost its better to do that there than in the player due to the risk of clipping during loud passages . From the 83 faq which applies here too ;

If you have any speaker set to small a 15db boost is required due to redirected bass from the satellite speakers
Best to err on the side of caution [if you can] considering the lfe on some blurays

Thanks~! That explains why the sub was so far down. I may have overcompensated a bit for it now. Will have to double check, but I could be a few dB hot.

~Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln /forum/post/19935694

Glad it's sounding better for you now! Care to share what caused the initial brightness in you system... proc settings?

Thanks,

Styln

I'm embarrassed to but I will. I grabbed an audience version of a recording rather than the soundboard that I know so well. Was alarming the difference.

~Bob

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop /forum/post/19935736

I'm embarrassed to but I will. I grabbed an audience version of a recording rather than the soundboard that I know so well. Was alarming the difference.

~Bob

As it should be! Thanks for the "you are there" reporting. Lots of fun to read and much appreciated.

Styln

·
Registered
404 Posts
This is weird. I have the 95 hooked up directly to a Krell FPB 200C via balanced output. When I power the 95 down, just before it shuts completely off, the speakers make a popping sound. Not loud enough to cause damage, I hope, but loud enough to cause me concern. Anyone else have a 95 hooked directly to a power amp using XLR having the same issue? There does not seem to be a correlation between the volume setting of the 95 and the volume of the pop.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop /forum/post/19935719

Thanks~! That explains why the sub was so far down. I may have overcompensated a bit for it now. Will have to double check, but I could be a few dB hot.

~Bob

Hi Rebop,

Did you use internal tones or test disc to set .1 chan ?

Cheers Victor.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson /forum/post/19935861

This is weird. I have the 95 hooked up directly to a Krell FPB 200C via balanced output. When I power the 95 down, just before it shuts completely off, the speakers make a popping sound. Not loud enough to cause damage, I hope, but loud enough to cause me concern. Anyone else have a 95 hooked directly to a power amp using XLR having the same issue? There does not seem to be a correlation between the volume setting of the 95 and the volume of the pop.

Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon. I always power off my amps first for exactly this reason.

But the heck with that... how does it sound?!

Styln

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson /forum/post/19935861

Hi Don,

If you must use oppo vol control direct to power amp ,then you should when

turning off system , amps off first , and when turning on system amps on last .

I would recommend not connecting oppo directly to amp , krells work best with a pre amp for vol control .

Cheers Victor.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson /forum/post/0

Call Oppo. The muting relays should prevent that. Perhaps your 95 has a hardware flaw, or perhaps something else is going on.

I'm presuming you are turning the player off normally as opposed to, say cutting off wall power to it externally.

--Bob

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop
OK, last post of the night before I pack it in for today.

I know my processor is a passthrough for 5.1 but was unsure if the the stereo inputs were analog passthrough as well. Evidently they are not which is why I am hearing such a difference between the 5.1 and stereo outs of the Oppo. I am using two different bass management systems. Both are sounding good, though. But different. At the moment maybe not a fair comparison since I could easily have the two systems set a bit different.

~Bob
Would probably be a PITA but perhaps try the the 2 ch analog outs from the 95 into the FL/FR inputs on you AVR (leaving the other 4 inputs unused) just to see what the player can do in that mode. At least you know the 5.1s are a true pass through and you don't have to resort to a downmix .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor tubeman
Hi Rebop,

Did you use internal tones or test disc to set .1 chan ?

Cheers Victor.
Actually, I have tried several ways. The big level difference came from internal tones. This is indeed 15 dB below what I expected and I compensated for it.

Using WOW, the sub is 3-6dB hot. But I think that is DTS audio and for some reason I recall DTS sub levels as hotter than Dolby.

The third was in using stereo outs to my processor which then, as it appears, redigitizes and uses its own bass management and has internal tones. This seems to be the most correct level matching of any and the sub blends well with 2 or 5 channel audio, but is also the least used method of playback for me.

~Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rang
Would probably be a PITA but perhaps try the the 2 ch analog outs from the 95 into the FL/FR inputs on you AVR (leaving the other 4 inputs unused) just to see what the player can do in that mode. At least you know the 5.1s are a true pass through and you don't have to resort to a downmix .
This is a good idea. and you are right, it will be a PITA
But I may give it a try when I have a spare afternoon.

~Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel
Any real pictures of this thing, the Oppo imagines are so cartooney.

DJoel
I have to say that from the Oppo pictures, I was not pleased with the look of the 95. 93 looked better. But in person, it is much better than the pictures would have me believe. I'm pleased.

~Bob

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Find, some of my reviews here. I have 95 xlr> 2ch. pro amp xlr> PSB Silveri Speakers.. SQ is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7
I read earlier in this thread about volume control. Can this unit hook directly into an amplifier via rca or balanced xlr, or does it need a preprocessor?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson
It's usually advisable to shut down your gear sequentially: starting at the power amp > preamp > source.

In this way, any switching transients will not be amplified to the speakers.

Turning on gear, you should begin with the source > preamp > amplifier, so that the turn-on spikes aren't sent down the chain.

Even when using a universal remote, you can usually program the sequence and delay of each device's turn on/off.

Lee

81 - 100 of 12112 Posts