AVS Forum banner

12081 - 12100 of 12112 Posts

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,148 Posts
Will this work on a 93?
Yes. From the FAQ:

When playing DVD (not Blu-ray), pressing the YELLOW button on the remote will take you to chapter 1 of the longest title on the disc. You can use this during startup to skip the introductory material.
It usually works, but I've seen it fail.

-Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
So it’s called Auto Resume; should have been mentioned on p. 42 of this otherwise very well written manual.
It works. Thanks!
BTW, the 95 can skip DVD menus and prohibited operations if you press the yellow button on the remote while the disc is loading. It will jump to the beginning of the largest title on the disc.
Does this mean that I can skip over Studio ID Fanfare, FBI warnings, et al?

What else can that yellow button do?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Auto resume is primarily effective/intended for media files, (MKV and the like). It works on many DVDs, but DVD authoring can block it deliberately. BD JAVA authoring blocks it, so the BD must be authored with specific resume functions programmed into it.
Yes, I know only too well about the capricious and oppressive use of JAVA BD feature lock outs by studios--and forcing BD player brands to comply with it. Some of my favorite scenes in movies on BD are forever less enjoyable because these skunks insist on locking out the zoom control. Even Criterion Collection does this (e.g. "Gilda").

Still really upsetting how the 95 (and all Oppo BD players) is heavy with features-including zoom, yet zoomed image shifting/centering was omitted!! My el cheapo JVC DVD player does this beautifully.

This "advanced" zoom control was literally my only reason for jumping on the Pioneer
UDP-LX500, despite that brand's dubious future and Elite products support.

If only there was a 95 firmware update for that! But Oppo said they can't or won't.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,573 Posts
My firmware is BDP9x-82-1009. Is that the latest?
That’s the latest Official firmware. There is also a limited release Beta firmware newer than that which is necessary for some folks to get the player to work via the newest AVRs. Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support if you think that might be the issue. Use the Email Us link on their Support page for the player.
—Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is there anything particular I should watch out for when shopping for one of these great machines? I plan to use the component video out and none of my other gear is HDCP compliant. Should I be looking for one with old firmware or any other quirks?

·
Registered
22,300 Posts
Is there anything particular I should watch out for when shopping for one of these great machines? I plan to use the component video out and none of my other gear is HDCP compliant. Should I be looking for one with old firmware or any other quirks?
There are firmware versions that support playing ISO files, and versions that don't. Apart from that there isn't much that you'd need to look out for.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The BDP-95 only play ISO's if they have the original firmware on them don't they? Most will be running upgraded firmware.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,148 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
What’s Causing Disc Spinning on Tray After Ejected?

Suddenly, my 95 is doing the same as my long gone Cambridge 650BD player
sometimes did. This continues happening with several of my DVDs which have always played fine. Though the tray surface is perfectly clean certainly nothing but the laser beam is ever supposed to touch the discs surface especially when in motion. It's already starting to scuff the surface of one of my discs.

Any clues to the cause of this malfunction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My OPPO BDP95 player sends audio over HDMI to NAD receiver. Worked great for SACD, DVDA, HDCD and CD. HDMI is the only output from the OPPO. Yesterday played a Tom Petty HDCD and the audio stuttered. Substituted my backup OPPO BDP103. Same issue!! Thinking licensing issues? Have quite a number of favorite titles on HDCD: Roxy Music, Cars, Doors, King Crimson and like the sound HDCD brings.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,573 Posts
My OPPO BDP95 player sends audio over HDMI to NAD receiver. Worked great for SACD, DVDA, HDCD and CD. HDMI is the only output from the OPPO. Yesterday played a Tom Petty HDCD and the audio stuttered. Substituted my backup OPPO BDP103. Same issue!! Thinking licensing issues? Have quite a number of favorite titles on HDCD: Roxy Music, Cars, Doors, King Crimson and like the sound HDCD brings.
There's nothing about the HDMI output for an HDCD disc which particularly stresses HDMI. As far as HDMI is concerned, it's pretty much just like playing a regular CD disc. For example, no special licensing or copy protection issues.

Since the same disc exhibited the problem on 2 players, the first thought would be the disc needs to be cleaned.

If the "stutter" happened just once, within a couple seconds of starting the disc, then your AVR may have had a problem handling the HDMI handshake, which happens both for video and audio. I.e., it may have inserted a brief mute during the 2nd part of that. If that's the case, then I'd expect you to see the same thing with your other HDCD discs, too.

If you used the same HDMI cable for both tests, another possibility is that the cable is failing, so you are getting dropouts. Try a replacement cable.

And another possibility is that you have HDCD decoding enabled in the player, but your NAD ALSO does HDCD decoding. The way HDCD works, the decoder detects the special encoding in the digital content and massages the content to give you the extra dynamic range designed into the HDCD format. HOWEVER, the resulting digital output stream typically retains just enough of the original HDCD encoding to confuse any subsequent decoder into thinking the work has not been done yet! And so the player does the decoding and the AVR pops in and out of ALSO trying to do the decoding -- resulting in an audible glitch each time that happens.

If your NAD decodes HDCD, then you must leave HDCD decoding in the player turned OFF to avoid this.

-----------------

In case you are wondering, the reason this silliness exists is because when HDCD was invented, players used Analog audio outputs. And so there was no digital output stream, and no chance of a 2nd decoder getting confused. So they never bothered building any protection against this into the design.
--Bob

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's nothing about the HDMI output for an HDCD disc which particularly stresses HDMI. As far as HDMI is concerned, it's pretty much just like playing a regular CD disc. For example, no special licensing or copy protection issues.

Since the same disc exhibited the problem on 2 players, the first thought would be the disc needs to be cleaned.

If the "stutter" happened just once, within a couple seconds of starting the disc, then your AVR may have had a problem handling the HDMI handshake, which happens both for video and audio. I.e., it may have inserted a brief mute during the 2nd part of that. If that's the case, then I'd expect you to see the same thing with your other HDCD discs, too.

If you used the same HDMI cable for both tests, another possibility is that the cable is failing, so you are getting dropouts. Try a replacement cable.

And another possibility is that you have HDCD decoding enabled in the player, but your NAD ALSO does HDCD decoding. The way HDCD works, the decoder detects the special encoding in the digital content and massages the content to give you the extra dynamic range designed into the HDCD format. HOWEVER, the resulting digital output stream typically retains just enough of the original HDCD encoding to confuse any subsequent decoder into thinking the work has not been done yet! And so the player does the decoding and the AVR pops in and out of ALSO trying to do the decoding -- resulting in an audible glitch each time that happens.

If your NAD decodes HDCD, then you must leave HDCD decoding in the player turned OFF to avoid this.

-----------------

In case you are wondering, the reason this silliness exists is because when HDCD was invented, players used Analog audio outputs. And so there was no digital output stream, and no chance of a 2nd decoder getting confused. So they never bothered building any protection against this into the design.
--Bob
Thanks. I turned HDCD off in my players setting and the disc played without the stutter. I do not believe the NAD receiver decodes HDCD, so I was listening to CD not HDCD which is not the desired state. I believe this also eliminates the HDMI cable as the problem.

I have been playing and enjoying HDCD in my current setup for many years so something has recently changed. The fact that my '95 and '103 players have both developed a stutter caused me to suspect licensing, but then I would not be the only OPPO player owner having issues with HDCD playback.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Unskippoverable Studio Intro Logo

I have some DVDs and BDs in my collection that neither my Oppo 95 nor my trusty JVC XV-NA70BK DVD player can skip over a 30-second studio logo. For example, the Paramount logo on my DVD edition of the movie “Hud” (1963). But most logos, from any studio, can be skipped over.

I’m a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and have the DVD sets of all seven seasons. My trusty JVC XV-NA70BK DVD player can skip the 30 second Universal logo, annoyingly present on every disc by pressing the > chapter button on all Region A discs, including the seventh season Universal UK pressed Region 2 set. Ditto for the Oppo 95.

The only problem was the sixth season set, which was not issued by Universal. Instead, it was Amazon who issued it on DVD-R. When I load a disc from that set into the JVC I can’t skip over the logo by hitting the > chapter button. But I later found that if I first let it play for a second or so, hit stop and then hit play it immediately starts playing an episode. Then I can hit menu and I’m in.

But the 95 can’t do any of this. Why would it apparently have less functional control of a DVD-R disc than the JVC has?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Post #12,091. No one but me ever had this happen? It's been occurring randomly among different discs but often, and all discs are in pristine condition. Any clues as to the specific cause (s)?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,573 Posts
^ Sticky spindle? Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and they can walk you through the possibilities. Use the Email Us link on the OPPO Digital support page for the player.
—Bob

12081 - 12100 of 12112 Posts