AVS Forum banner

23701 - 23720 of 38982 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
@SteveCaron

Tonal mapping being performed by the player instead of the panel is an intriguing idea. It seems to be something that would fall in Oppo's wheelhouse but I have a feeling it would require more than just a firmware upgrade to our existing models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksV3OSgHqQ&t=349s

Wanted to share some experience I had last night with the 885ES. As some have already noted, the default HDR performance isn't quite stellar. Acceptable, but better results can be achieved by loading in a new curve via Arve or using something like the Lumagen Pro's Intensity mapping. But some are intimidated by the Arve tools and the Lumagen is pretty expensive. Last night I got the chance to play with the latest (non public) beta firmware for the Oppo UHD players. Oppo has been working on an updated tone mapping capabilities that I find very similar to Lumagen's intensity mapping. In the HDR menu you would select HDR OFF but retain 2020 color. With your projector calibrated to a 2.4 gamma the Oppo would then do the tone map for you. You can select what peak brightness you are going for (similar to the Lumagen) and then Oppo provides four options for how they do the tone map and what each emphasizes (highlights, shadow details, both, upper end preservation). It works REALLY well compared to the projectors HDR and solves a lot of the issues I hear people complain about when it comes to HDR playback on a projector (dimmer image, lack of shadow detail, etc). So those with an Oppo should keep an eye out for this feature. I'm sure it will hit public beta soon and then eventual normal release as well. This HDR mapping and the update they did earlier that gave lots of options for those with scope screen setups have really added a TON of value for their players.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For me, the Oppo plays anything I throw at it like SACD via DSD, great upscaling of DVDs, BDs, UHD with DolbyVision is fantastic. The customer support is not to be downplayed and it’s built to last. If you need streaming apps on your UHD player, it’s not for you. The HDMI IN port, capable of HDR (non-DV) sources can be quite handy to utilize the players’ video processing.
The HDMI IN is interesting actually, didn't know any players had that. So I could put this between my receiver and TV in my chain if I wanted. What would that do though, any chance it has a Darbee type effect? Also, does anyone know what (if any) brick and mortar stores carry this player? I really would like it by Friday but on Amazon and straight through Oppo, even if I upgrade the shipping, which is outrageously expensive, it gives a 4 day window! So I'm paying way more for shipping and may not even get it any sooner than the cheapest option.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The HDMI In is interesting actually, didn't know any players had that. So I could put this between my receiver and TV in my chain if I wanted. What would that do though, any chance it has a Darbee type effect? Also, does anyone know what (if any) brick and mortar stores carry this player? I really would like it by Friday but on Amazon and straight through Oppo, even if I upgrade the shipping, which is outrageously expensive, it gives a 4 day window! So I'm paying way more for shipping and may not even get it any sooner than the cheapest option.
You should be able to get a 203 at certain Best Buy stores, in their Magnolia Section.. However, not all Best Buy stores with a Magnolia section carry Oppo in the store (can be ordered).. You need to call the store and they will tell you which ones in your area carry Oppo in the store.. It is not on their website. 😊

·
Registered
637 Posts
Now their coming out with HDR10+.. How nice.. So... Everyone's 4K player and some TV's purchased in the past year may soon be outdated if they decide to add this 3rd layer onto the disc.. Is this 4K format war ever going to end.. Seems like it's Panasonic/Samsung teaming up against Dolby Vision making, we the consumer, pay the price.. And they made sure they killed off 3D as it was a real threat and not just obsolete.. Seems as if the big shot companies will do anything to make sure 4K bluray is the new must have standard.. When, honestly, IMO.. the bluray version actually looks better a lot, if not most of the time.. Having Better more accurate color.. And Better sharpness.. This places Oppo in a hard spot... Either the 203 will get HDR10+ via firmware (if even possible) or the 203/205 Will be replaced for newer models rather sooner than later.. What Will be next.. 8K SuperHDR++.. Will it ever end.. 🤔
Yes but the good thing about it is at least every UHD disc that has DV or HDR 10+ on it you can still view it as straight HDR 10 on any HDR capable display. So it's not like the bluray HD DVD war that I was on the wrong side of at onset!

·
Registered
421 Posts
^ Nope. The 1127 firmware is pretty solid for HDMI output. Your player may need Warranty service, but there are things to try first.

Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. They will likely ask you to start with a re-install of the firmware, followed by a Reset Factory Defaults and power cycle.

Also double check your video output settings to make sure you haven't accidentally switched to a higher bandwidth video output format than worked before.
--Bob
Hi

since last firmware 1127 released to UK just before xmas I've had hdmi handshake issues. Either black screen or intermittent picture flipping between black and normal, or sometimes snow.
There's no escaping the fact that you are describing a bad HDMI cable issue. Start by replacing the cable from AVR to TV with a new Certified Premium cable.
Interesting, I'll try disconnecting and reconnecting, reinstall firmware, etc. I've also got a shorter cable I can use if I don't route it. But it is disappointing or maybe just a coincidence that everything was fine until the upgrade.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
That's the Wifi transmitter/receiver -- operating through the side of the chassis and shielded from the rest of the circuitry inside the chassis.
--Bob
Personally, I'm not a fan of WiFi. Do you know if the power can be disconnected to this unit, without it affecting anything else?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes but the good thing about it is at least every UHD disc that has DV or HDR 10+ on it you can still view it as straight HDR 10 on any HDR capable display. So it's not like the bluray HD DVD war that I was on the wrong side of at onset!
It is for this reason that some people are not considering this a format war. I disagree though, as long as both continue to exist and devices don't support both it will be a format war in my opinion. There are some 2018 players coming that will have both but have any TV's been announced that will have both? Plus eventually one will be found to be superior, and anyone who has the other is at a loss, that is the basis of a format war.

·
Super Moderator
15,926 Posts
Please take the DV vs HDR10+, format war (not a format war) discussion to the HDR section.

Reactions: I WANT MORE

·
Registered
886 Posts
...What are people using as incentive to spend more money on this player...
For me, the various music formats, in addition to the video. It seems to hold it's value, which says something about it's quality.

Reactions: A.Bell and galonzo

·
Registered
886 Posts
The HDMI IN is interesting actually, didn't know any players had that. So I could put this between my receiver and TV in my chain if I wanted. What would that do though, any chance it has a Darbee type effect? Also, does anyone know what (if any) brick and mortar stores carry this player? I really would like it by Friday but on Amazon and straight through Oppo, even if I upgrade the shipping, which is outrageously expensive, it gives a 4 day window! So I'm paying way more for shipping and may not even get it any sooner than the cheapest option.
Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Reasons why this is my main UHD disk player

Even if I said I'm coming from a 1st gen, 2016 model UHD player, the Samsung K8500? What are people using as incentive to spend more money on this player, is it really just the DV? Does it exhibit less disc noise? I'll take any reasoning.
I still have the K8500 (moved to another room), I currently can't do DV, and still got this player for my main UHD player (no need for the analog outs or network streaming here); I chose this player mainly for the quality/support, the plethora of settings (you have full control over resolution, chroma upsampling, and bit depth; well, within the constraints of the current HDMI spec, anyway), partly for the front panel display, and it upscales DVD like nothing you've ever seen ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
You should be able to get a 203 at certain Best Buy stores, in their Magnolia Section.. However, not all Best Buy stores with a Magnolia section carry Oppo in the store (can be ordered).. You need to call the store and they will tell you which ones in your area carry Oppo in the store.. It is not on their website. 😊
I live in northern Virginia. There are 4 Magnolia DESIGN CENTERS in the area. The DESIGN CENTERS carry higher end equipment including OPPO. I Bought my BDP-103 from the one in Springfield Va in 2013 and bought my UDP-203 a week ago from the Magnolia Design Center at the Fair Lakes store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in northern Virginia. There are 4 Magnolia DESIGN CENTERS in the area. The DESIGN CENTERS carry higher end equipment including OPPO. I Bought my BDP-103 from the one in Springfield Va in 2013 and bought my UDP-203 a week ago from the Magnolia Design Center at the Fair Lakes store.
I got my 203 from Crutchfield. Got it super fast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Even if I said I'm coming from a 1st gen, 2016 model UHD player, the Samsung K8500? What are people using as incentive to spend more money on this player, is it really just the DV? Does it exhibit less disc noise? I'll take any reasoning.
It's quiet, build quality is second to none (it does not look, nor does it feel like a toy or disposable item), it's a true "rack-grade" component, removable power cord (I know, that sounds silly, but I right-size all of my power cords with custom ones, easier to do when it's removable....:eek:), better warranty than most, and Oppo's customer service is OUTSTANDING.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I bought my 203 at the design center in Arlington at Potomac Yard. My sales guy Dan always take care of me when i need stuff. Funny thing is he talks me out of buying I do not need all the time. LOL.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Anyone able to confirm that playback of network multi-channel DFF files is working with the latest firmware (UDP20X-54-1108B)?

My stereo files are working fine but multi-channel not.

23701 - 23720 of 38982 Posts