AVS Forum banner

24141 - 24160 of 40335 Posts

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,209 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and ordered the 203. I know this may sound stupid, but what HDMI cables do you recommend? Hooking the Oppo up to my LG OLED. I've used the monoprice cables for years and never had issues, but with HDR, Dolby Vision and 4:4:4 chroma, I might as well get the best out of video source on my TV
How long are your cable runs? If very long, see threads in the HDMI Forum here for help. If your player is positioned next to the rest of your gear, life is much easier.

See these sections of the FAQ:

-Bill

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,831 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and ordered the 203. I know this may sound stupid, but what HDMI cables do you recommend? Hooking the Oppo up to my LG OLED. I've used the monoprice cables for years and never had issues, but with HDR, Dolby Vision and 4:4:4 chroma, I might as well get the best out of video source on my TV
Just make sure you're using cables that are "Premium Certified", which includes cables from MonoPrice (regular and slim) and Blue Jeans. It's fairly likely that your current MonoPrice cables will need to be replaced as their older cables weren't "Premium Certified". But there's absolutely no need to spend big money on the cables.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
All those boxes are checked.

I am beginning to wonder if the problem is CEC. When I get some time I will turn CEC off.
Finally got around to turning off CEC to check if that would help with the Oppo network neither visible or allowing me to play .mkv files from my computer to my display. Turning off CEC does not help. So far the Network feature of the OPPO via a windows 10 computer is dead,

·
Registered
684 Posts
The hdmi cable supplied with the 203 works fine if the length suits your situation. No need to buy another one.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Just make sure you're using cables that are "Premium Certified", which includes cables from MonoPrice (regular and slim) and Blue Jeans. It's fairly likely that your current MonoPrice cables will need to be replaced as their older cables weren't "Premium Certified". But there's absolutely no need to spend big money on the cables.
How long are your cable runs? If very long, see threads in the HDMI Forum here for help. If your player is positioned next to the rest of your gear, life is much easier.

See these sections of the FAQ:

-Bill
... I must say that the discussion about HDMI Cables is much more comforting
then it is about the latest D.V. Uproar
! :smile:

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,831 Posts
So far the Network feature of the OPPO via a windows 10 computer is dead,
If you re-enable SMB 1.0 support in Windows, you will most likely find it works.

To do this, go to Control Panel then select Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> and check the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". Recent Windows 10 updates have disabled this by default as SMB 1.0 has some potential security holes. Realistically, I don't see it as a huge risk on a home network if you have a router with a firewall between your PC and the Internet.

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
I still have my Oppo 203, BUT havnt used it in ages as i much prefer the UB900 at present.

IF Oppo implement the "HDR Tone Mapping" and release it for the general end user, i would gladly fire up the 203 once again ...and who knows, it might even take over from the UB900 this time around..:)
Agreed. I mean, the SDR2020 output was already pretty good. If they solve the black clipping and implement some more smarts around adjustments for differing environments, this could be a game changer for light starved displays. I too would switch back from Sony to Oppo in heart beat. I was at their office on day one of release picking up the 203, since I've been using Oppo exclusively for a decade, but had to go with a different solution after a while, this time. Improved tone mapping capabilities would get me back in the camp, especially since I could feed my ATV4k HDR10 signal into it and get tone mapped "SDR" output for all that content, too.

Instead of all this complaining, i think we have had enough, i would really like to know, at a high level, how this new profile works. What is this "extra" processing that the end devices have to do over what they do now? It would be very interesting to understand. :)
Wouldn't that be interesting? Trouble is, it's not actually part of the white papers or spec docs that Dolby has been publishing for the past two years....

Are you just trying to "rub it in" that Oppo followed the DV specs (and Dolby certified that they did) and that this new "low latency" profile of DV was actually never part of the UHD spec until.... this Sony thing? :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can confirm: I had an expensive "RedMere" Monoprice cable going from my old Comcast box to my AVR and "certified" new, very inexpensive Monoprice cables for the Oppo, ATV4K, and finally to my LG OLED. This all worked as I would expect till last Friday when I upgraded my cable box to the Xfinity 4K capable one. The Xfinity box somehow knew that the RedMere cable was not good enough and refused to let me set the resolution to 2160P with a warning about HDCP, yadda-yadda HDMI copy protection. I replaced the cable with a "certified" one and voila - 2160P and no issues.

Heed the warnings in the FAQ, do not believe the advertisements that say a cable is "high-speed", etc., the only thing that matters is if it is certified and has the pretty hologram....Monoprice rocks, BTW. :)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If you re-enable SMB 1.0 support in Windows, you will most likely find it works.

To do this, go to Control Panel then select Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> and check the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". Recent Windows 10 updates have disabled this by default as SMB 1.0 has some potential security holes. Realistically, I don't see it as a huge risk on a home network if you have a router with a firewall between your PC and the Internet.
Thanks for your response. My problem may be related to a faulty hard drive which can no longer be located on my computer. I just built the computer this month. I was having issues and I am glad to have possibly located the source. So, I will stop posting until after I replace the drive.

·
Registered
22,350 Posts
Thanks for your response. My problem may be related to a faulty hard drive which can no longer be located on my computer. I just built the computer this month. I was having issues and I am glad to have possibly located the source. So, I will stop posting until after I replace the drive.
Sometimes Windows gets mad about NTFS permissions, and refuses to share if the permissions aren't right. Suggest you re-set the entire drive for full permission to "everyone". That's the security tab in drive properties, not the sharing tab.

·
Registered
31 Posts

The SMBv1 security holes are not potential :D passwords are sent in plaintext over the network :eek:, and you do not want to do that on any network office or home. The firewall on your router plays no role in the security of your home network in this case, because your router will not route traffic from your private network (RFC-1819) to the public internet.

I ran into this issue myself when I first hooked up my 203 and discovered that my SMB shares on my SAN were not visible, after talking to Oppo support they confirmed to work on fix for this and that SMBv2 (maybe v3) support will be forthcoming.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Sometimes Windows gets mad about NTFS permissions, and refuses to share if the permissions aren't right. Suggest you re-set the entire drive for full permission to "everyone". That's the security tab in drive properties, not the sharing tab.
Thanks but Device manager no longer sees the drive.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The SMBv1 security holes are not potential :D passwords are sent in plaintext over the network :eek:, and you do not want to do that on any network office or home. The firewall on your router plays no role in the security of your home network in this case, because your router will not route traffic from your private network (RFC-1819) to the public internet.

I ran into this issue myself when I first hooked up my 203 and discovered that my SMB shares on my SAN were not visible, after talking to Oppo support they confirmed to work on fix for this and that SMBv2 (maybe v3) support will be forthcoming.
I appreciate your response and I look forward to Oppo solving the Network failure.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Thanks but Device manager no longer sees the drive.
You may be able to see the drive again by going into your computer's BIOS and seeing how the drives are configured. If it's a USB drive, there might be a problem with the USB setup in either your BIOS or in Windows. Be careful, if you start fooling around in the BIOS. You should definitely make a backup of your current BIOS settings first.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Anyone have issues playing burned blu rays? I have been reauthoring my 3d blu rays with the atmos track off the 4k blu ray. Couple discs have worked fine, but I tried one today and the video would freeze with the audio continuing and then the video would catch up again. I tried the same disc on my laptop drive and an older Samsung blu ray player and both handled the disc fine.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,729 Posts
Anyone have issues playing burned blu rays? I have been reauthoring my 3d blu rays with the atmos track off the 4k blu ray. Couple discs have worked fine, but I tried one today and the video would freeze with the audio continuing and then the video would catch up again. I tried the same disc on my laptop drive and an older Samsung blu ray player and both handled the disc fine.
The usual problem with burned discs is that you have the burner set to run too fast. But check with OPPO Tech Support, giving them the specifics on the media you are using to see if they have any history with that media type. Writeable media types vary.
--Bob

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The usual problem with burned discs is that you have the burner set to run too fast. But check with OPPO Tech Support, giving them the specifics on the media you are using to see if they have any history with that media type. Writeable media types vary.
--Bob
Yeah I was wondering about that, back in the day on CDR I know that was a big issue, wasnt sure if it still was today. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
When you make a change to any of the Custom settings, the Video Resolution setting will also change from AUTO to CUSTOM.

If you change Video Resolution back to AUTO, then the Custom settings (still shown in the menu) will not be in use.

Anyway, what you want is:

Video Resolution > Custom
Custom Resolution > UHD Auto

For my E6 (not E7), I also use:
Color Space > 4:2:2
Color Depth > Auto
HDR > Auto

--Bob
Just wanted to say thank you for this information. I have a Z9D and while it says I was getting HDR, it wasn't getting the bit depth or BT2020 and I was oblivious. I was getting 709 at 8bit, but still said HDR on my TV, so never thought to look at the info button on Oppo. I had to set the HDR to forced for everything to work properly, but holy guacamole batman, what a huge difference that made.:eek: I have the new Lego Ninjao movie and the color just exploded after making these changes. Now to go rewatch all my HDR 4K videos. :)

Thanks Bob, you're an invaluable wealth of knowledge!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I can't think of a worse solution to suggest to anyone, windows has file security for a reason, you just gave anything that gets in a golden ticket to infect every file.
I can not strongly enough suggest anyone even considering this incredibly dangerous approach to research it more before committing file system suicide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oppo 203 compatibility for photos

Waaaz up everyone. I set up network sharing from my hard drive to view photos however I can never get my oppo to see the canon raw files. I?m thinking theyll need to get converted to jpg to view however, since oopo 203 pretty much reads everything I thought it might be possible that I?m doing something wrong.....

24141 - 24160 of 40335 Posts