AVS Forum banner

24481 - 24500 of 38985 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@stranger89 makes an interesting point on the JVCRS500 thread, that if the Oppo is doing content aware, dynamic mapping, then test patterns are not likely to reflect how actual content looks. There might be clipping on test patterns that seldom occurs with real content....
Good point. I guess it’s possible if the OPPO is using some form of tone mapping and using the disc to determine these values then the only test patterns that would be viable would be those from that particular disc. Regular test patterns from a usb stick would not give the OPPO any meta data to use. I’d still like to not see clipping on static patterns however.

While I do agree with @Dave Vaughn that the new SDR modes are an improvement over the Strip Metadata method, and I also doubt those last four steps of "near-black" matter much with real-world content (at least by that scale, there are actually about 20 steps of "near-black" in that last 2% of the 10 bit greyscale), I also agree with @Clark Burk that there's room for improvement.

I tested using the same disk for HDR>>SDR conversion on my other UHD BRP (the first one in the US, the UBD-K8500; see results attached, brightness elevated to show what gets resolved again), and it resolves all steps (I had to connect it to a non-HDR display to confirm; on this non-HDR display, the 203 obviously show the same clipping behavior as my HDR-capable displays, regardless of HDR mode).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Sooner or later someone will ask, so here's the answer. In the current beta firmware, Cinavia in MKV files is still being ignored. :)
I know in the 103 they ignored it for the longest of time and then all of a sudden during one FW update, it was not ignored :mad:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
BTW, The same *.m2ts files pass the test when played through my Zappiti.
Just curious if you've tried hooking your Zappiti up to the Oppo 203 HMDI in? I'm wondering if that works well and allows for use of the new HDR > SDR BT.2020 4 mode feature? I'm waiting for this release to be GA and not Beta before trying to hook my Zappiti up that way. Since I only play UHD from these two sources, it makes some sense to configure my setup this way using the tone mapping in the Oppo instead of in the JVC projector.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Just curious if you've tried hooking your Zappiti up to the Oppo 203 HMDI in? I'm wondering if that works well and allows for use of the new HDR > SDR BT.2020 4 mode feature? I'm waiting for this release to be GA and not Beta before trying to hook my Zappiti up that way. Since I only play UHD from these two sources, it makes some sense to configure my setup this way using the tone mapping in the Oppo instead of in the JVC projector.
What’s the benefit? Assuming the Oppo streams mkv with Atmos just fine I don’t see the benefit...perhaps my assumption is wrong...

·
Registered
18,186 Posts
Auto setting is giving you maximum allowable resolution, pixel depth and color space available for your input and TV. At 24hz, 4:4:4 12 bit 4K is supported in HDMI 2.0 standard because it is equal or less than allowable band width of 18GPS.
So then I want to keep it set to auto to get the maximum resolution?

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Bob... Did something change with this newer beta firmware? I thought u mentioned I could use Force HDR on my "non HDR10" display and I would regain my tv's zoom and aspect controls by forcing HDR10 playback on Dolby Vision discs? I'm kinda confused by your last few replies?? Fyi.. I havn't tried the beta yet..
Bob, This was for Bill.. I just remembered.. Bill mentioned this trick.. and i think he tried it... If I force HDR10 on a Dolby Vision disc my non HDR tv would retain its zoom..

Bill, did this now change in the latest beta or still the same?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
What’s the benefit? Assuming the Oppo streams mkv with Atmos just fine I don’t see the benefit...perhaps my assumption is wrong...
The Oppo only plays (USB) and streams (network) .mkv files. It does NOT support .iso and BDMV folder source, which happens to be how the bulk of my UHD movies are saved on HDD. (I'm moving to storing them as .mkv files.) The Zappiti (and Egreat) media player handles these just fine. Hooking the Zappiti to the HDMI input will hopefully allow me to take advantage of the Oppo tone mapping. If the SDR BT.2020 tone mapping is an improvement over HDR curves in the JVC projector, then I want to go that route for all my UHD sources.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The Oppo only plays (USB) and streams (network) .mkv files. It does NOT support .iso and BDMV folder source, which happens to be how the bulk of my UHD movies are saved on HDD. (I'm moving to storing them as .mkv files.) The Zappiti (and Egreat) media player handles these just fine. Hooking the Zappiti to the HDMI input will hopefully allow me to take advantage of the Oppo tone mapping. If the SDR BT.2020 tone mapping is an improvement over HDR curves in the JVC projector, then I want to go that route for all my UHD sources.
Ahhh, got ya, makes sense...I was assuming yer rips were mkv, which the Oppo sounds like it handles just fine...

Reactions: stevenjw

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,912 Posts
Bob, This was for Bill.. I just remembered.. Bill mentioned this trick.. and i think he tried it... If I force HDR10 on a Dolby Vision disc my non HDR tv would retain its zoom..

Bill, did this now change in the latest beta or still the same?
Sorry, I can't test that.

-Bill

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,676 Posts
The Oppo only plays (USB) and streams (network) .mkv files. It does NOT support .iso and BDMV folder source, which happens to be how the bulk of my UHD movies are saved on HDD.
Place the BDMV folder inside a folder named AVCHD, resulting in a path that looks something like: \\ServerName\Movies\MovieName\AVCHD\BDMV. Find a tool called bdmv_modify (search Google for "bdmv modifier 2.0") and use it to make a minor modification to the BDMV folder structure (IIRC, it only modifies 1 file). At this point, you will be able to play your ripped Blurays with full menus. This works with UHD's too. ;)

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Place the BDMV folder inside a folder named AVCHD, resulting in a path that looks something like: \\ServerName\Movies\MovieName\AVCHD\BDMV. Find a tool called bdmv_modify and use it to make a minor modification to the BDMV folder structure (IIRC, it only modifies 1 file). At this point, you will be able to play your ripped Blurays with full menus. This works with UHD's too. ;)
Thanks, but I did an extensive search last night looking for bdmv_modify in order to download it and could not find it anywhere. If you have a link, that would be fantastic!!!

Also, can you confirm that this still works with the Oppo? I thought I read something that indicated that this no longer works. I hope that I'm wrong because this would be a great time saver over makemkv.

Please let me know (PM would be great). Hopefully, you have a link to where I can find that program. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Oppo warranty

Hi, I found a used 203 complete with receipt...how does the Oppo warranty work? Does it stay with the original owner or will I take over the warranty? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Good point. I guess it’s possible if the OPPO is using some form of tone mapping and using the disc to determine these values then the only test patterns that would be viable would be those from that particular disc. Regular test patterns from a usb stick would not give the OPPO any meta data to use. I’d still like to not see clipping on static patterns however.
The Masciola HDR patterns when played from a USB stick do have HDR10 metadata. The ones I checked had:

Max Display Luminance: 1000
Min Display Luminance: .0005
MaxCLL: 1000
MaxFALL: 400

·
Registered
18,186 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Very interesting. I don't have a disk where this would matter -- yet -- but am sure I would eventually.

My display can handle HDR10, so I guess I am "safe" (and I suppose even with an SDR display one could use an HDFury product to "trick" the Oppo into thinking you have an HDR10 display).

I guess if the HDMI input on the Oppo ever accepts DV, that would also be a place this is an issue, but for now it's just HDR10 compatible, right?
Yes, I can use any of the HDfury devices (Vertex, Integral, or Linker) to fool source players so they send HDR10 to my Dolby Vision capable LG OLED.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
So for 4k UHD discs use the auto setting, but for regular BD's set it at 4:2:2? Or is it just as good to keep it at 4:2:2?
It is whatever you wish to do or works best for you. There is no wrong or right. I just set mine to auto although you could just as easily go with 4:2:2.

Reactions: galonzo
24481 - 24500 of 38985 Posts