AVS Forum banner

25721 - 25740 of 38992 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am not familiar with your specific TV, but the usual rule of thumb is that the input you are using has different settings for each type of signal.
So,
HD SDR - One set of settings.
4K - HDR - another set of settings
4K - DV - yet a third set of settings.

The good news - once sorted, as long as the TV recognises the correct format, it will select the “dialled in” settings.
Just about.

The TV remembers SDR, HDR, DV and HLG settings separately, per input, so whatever changes you make for that mode on that input will be remembered next time.

In addition, each mode allows several different picture modes, each of which you can customise and which you can easily switch between from the settings menu. Eg. For each of the above modes you might customise one for viewing in bright daylight and one for a dark room.

Thanks a bunch! This was it, I hadn't realized there were multiple settings per input per signal type. I will watch the movie again tonight with a different setting.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It is for my projector (Sony 55) and dark room setup (e.g. with BR 2049). I mentioned it as I realise others are saying much higher values....but it’s what works for me. 250 was not for me.
I understand and initially thought as well, that I only need one setting, but please check for example one of the early scenes in Sicario, where the assault at the house is starting right before the car hits the wall. It's an indoor shot and you can see the window and a light yellow curtain. With 150nits/mode4 you can't recognize any structure within the curtain and neither anything outside through the window. Raise the nits at least to 300 and you are going to see, what I mean. The dynamic Oppo mapping is a huge step, but still not perfect and I bet, you will explore more than this movie, where you need to adjust... another one is for example Starship Troopers.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts

I posted a similar problem with a PC running the Dolby Atmos app inputting to the Oppo, but didn’t get any replies.

It’s something to do with how the Oppo HDMI input interacts with the Dolby Access app.

Looks like the Oppo gets the app to decode and send PCM rather than pass through the original bitstream.

The same PC can pass TrueHD Atmos bitstream to the Oppo when playing MKV through MPC-HC.
Well now I'm REALLY Ticked Off!

Do NOT ATTEMPT routing an XBOX console
Through the Oppo HDMI INPUT!!!

Seems the Oppo sync to my XBO X has locked it into 7.1 PCM audio output now,
(even though I'm not using the Oppo input anymore)

I changed the XBO Audio Settings to the appropriate "Bitstream" and "Atmos for Home Theater"

Load up Gear of War 4 (ATMOS game) and it's dead silent,no audio, go back to XBO settings to find its reset back to 7.1 uncompressed.

Change it back to Atmos for Home Theater, load up the Netflix App,
go to The Cloverfield Paradox (ATMOS title) and it kicks me right out of Netflix and back to the dashboard.

Reset and went back, and noticed the title screen no longer reads ATMOS, just 5.1
...and its PCM according to my AVR, I can no longer bitstream DTS/DTS-MA, DD/TrueHD/ATMOS now :confused:

Deleted the Atmos Access app completely, reboot, reinstalled the App, same results.

I only have pcm audio

Now I have to send my 1 month old $600 Console in for repair?

Thanks Oppo!

Brilliant!

:mad:

Reactions: meles

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Well now I'm REALLY Ticked Off!

Do NOT ATTEMPT routing an XBOX console

Through the Oppo HDMI INPUT!!! for ATMOS

Seems the Oppo sync to my XBO X has locked it into 7.1 PCM audio output now,

(even though the I'm not using the Oppo input anymore)

I changed the XBO Audio Settings to the appropriate "Bitsream" and "Atmos for Home Theater"

Load up Gear of War 4 (ATMOS game) and it's dead silent,no audio, go back to XBO settings to find its reset back to 7.1 uncompressed.

Change it back to Atmos for Home Theater, load up the Netflix App,

go to The Cloverfield Paradox (ATMOS title) and it kicks me right out of Netflix and back to the dashboard.

Reset and went back, and noticed the title screen no longer reads ATMOS, just 5.1

...and its PCM according to my AVR, I can no longer bitstream DTS or DD now :confused:

Deleted the Atmos Access app completely, reboot, reinstalled the App, same results.

I only have pcm audio

Now I have to send my 1 month old $600 Console in for repair?

Thanks Oppo!

Brilliant!

:mad:

That’s not oppo’s fault. It’s Microsoft’s shoddy software. The Xbox does atmos differently than every other device out there including the ps4 which has passed it through from blu-Ray since day one. You should be able to reset it, I no longer own an Xbox so I can’t guide you on how.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That’s not oppo’s fault. It’s Microsoft’s shoddy software. The Xbox does atmos differently than every other device out there including the ps4 which has passed it through from blu-Ray since day one. You should be able to reset it, I no longer own an Xbox so I can’t guide you on how.
Shoddy software or not, PIO has every right to be upset at Oppo...if his Xbox worked fine before connecting to the Oppo, and now it doesn’t, well yes, it’s the Oppo’s fault.

Pio, hate to say it but you can probably fix it by doing a hard reset. That’s what I’d do rather than sending it in.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Shoddy software or not, PIO has every right to be upset at Oppo...if his Xbox worked fine before connecting to the Oppo, and now it doesn’t, well yes, it’s the Oppo’s fault.

Pio, hate to say it but you can probably fix it by doing a hard reset. That’s what I’d do rather than sending it in.
No, it's the way the xbox outputs with it's stupid "Atmos app" and how it handles general audio via PCM because they wouldn't decouple the kinect and alert functionality from the HDMI output. That's why it took forever for bitstream to even work with the OS, they refused to bypass the alerts, party chat, and kinect functions.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
All the Oppo had to do was pass through the same bitstream that feeds my AVR without issue when connected directly.

Why doesn't the XBO screw up my AVR if its a Microsoft issue?

...its a 2015 model Yamaha RX-A3050 :confused:

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Why do a Sammy K8500, and nVidia Shield NOT have issues through Oppo, yet the XBox does?
I don't have either of those, but you can bet Oppo made sure they worked before releasing the ability to do so,
...or they fixed it when someone said it was faulty. It appears to me they obviously didn't care enough to check the XBO (or any MS PC) for compatibility.

Or if they did know and simply couldn't figure out how to get it to work,
they should probably warn users about a known issue when using their HDMI In.

For those that missed it:

I called them on this and there isn't a way to get it to work and they didn't seem real interested in getting it to do so. Maybe if you call them it will be at least two people that ask for it. I have not tried this with the beta software.
and...

I posted a similar problem with a PC running the Dolby Atmos app inputting to the Oppo, but didn’t get any replies.

It’s something to do with how the Oppo HDMI input interacts with the Dolby Access app.

Looks like the Oppo gets the app to decode and send PCM rather than pass through the original bitstream.

The same PC can pass TrueHD Atmos bitstream to the Oppo when playing MKV through MPC-HC.
Unlike a simple thing like Dolby Vision reverting to HDR from some streamer,
this has potentially more risk of screwing something up and a warning should be issued (IMHO)

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I'm not saying the Oppo input is perfect, we all know it's not, and they've gotten heat over it since 12/16.
Rightfully so.
I'm just having a hard time believing that this particular problem is Oppos is all, that XBox had issues all the way back in November, to the point that you needed to be an insider member or some such nonsense to download a patch for it to even do Atmos.
I'm not sure what the deal is with Windows PC issues, but they have 1 thing in common.
Microsoft.
I haven't tried my desktop or laptop through the input, maybe I should look into that.
Does the Roku have Atmos issues through Oppo?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I did a Google search that turned up Youtube instructions for doing a Hard Reset on the XBO X
...all back to normal after reloading my audio setting preferences. Thanks Goodness ! :nerd:

Sorry for losing my mind! :eek:

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
I did a Google search that turned up Youtube instructions for doing a Hard Reset on the XBO X
...all back to normal after reloading my audio setting preferences. Thanks Goodness ! :nerd:

Thank goodness you found a fix!

For future reference, an HDMI handshake is driven -- end to end -- by the Source device. In your case that would have been the XBOX One.

There may indeed be a bug in the OPPO which is keeping the Atmos handshake from completing when initiated by the XBOX One, although it is more likely the bug is in the XBOX One and that OPPO may have to design a special case workaround to keep that bug from interfering.

But whichever the case, the OPPO can't make changes in the XBOX One.

If something stops working in the XBOX One after attempting connection through the OPPO that *HAS TO BE* a bug in the XBOX ONE. It has simply not handled the handshake failure result properly. Evidently it has screwed up the state logic for its HDMI output in a way that required a more than usually vigorous Reset to clean up.
--Bob

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not saying the Oppo input is perfect, we all know it's not, and they've gotten heat over it since 12/16.
Rightfully so.
I'm just having a hard time believing that this particular problem is Oppos is all, that XBox had issues all the way back in November, to the point that you needed to be an insider member or some such nonsense to download a patch for it to even do Atmos.
I'm not sure what the deal is with Windows PC issues, but they have 1 thing in common.
Microsoft.
I haven't tried my desktop or laptop through the input, maybe I should look into that.
Does the Roku have Atmos issues through Oppo?

Yeah, it sucks to be stuck between two companies. I'm sure MS will tell us the XB ATMOS works with all of the receivers and TVs so they have nothing to fix.

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
If you have an HDfury device, Vertex or Integral, you might try placing it between the XBox and Oppo to see if it makes a difference. I placed a Vertex between my Apple TV 4K and Oppo, set Custom EDID 11 (4K60 444 BT.2020 HDR 12-bit) and output to HDCP 1.4.

Of course the ATV4K doesn't support Atmos, but the Vertex resolved ATV video stuttering, black screen, and inability to start playback of a title after screen saver kicked in. The ATV4K into my Oppo is now rock solid.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Yeah, it sucks to be stuck between two companies. I'm sure MS will tell us the XB ATMOS works with all of the receivers and TVs so they have nothing to fix.
Lesson learned, Don't try to fix something if it aint broke!

I did not need to free up an extra HDMI port on my AVR,
I have an awesome set of custom gamma curves for my JVC and a Vertex
...that negate any need for the Oppo Tone Mapping features.

I'm just going to enjoy my system as is,
... well at least until HDMI 2.1 comes around and we can start all over again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
If you have an HDfury device, Vertex or Integral, you might try placing it between the XBox and Oppo to see if it makes a difference. I placed a Vertex between my Apple TV 4K and Oppo, set Custom EDID 11 (4K60 444 BT.2020 HDR 12-bit) and output to HDCP 1.4.

Of course the ATV4K doesn't support Atmos, but the Vertex resolved ATV video stuttering, black screen, and inability to start playback of a title after screen saver kicked in. The ATV4K into my Oppo is now rock solid.
Yes I have a Vertex, but it's next to my JVC on the other side of the room
(RS-232 connection set up for macro auto-selecting user modes depending on content)

I don't stream anything but Netflix or Amazon Prime Video or Youtube
access for all three are available through the OLED apps, PS4 apps, UB900 apps and XBO apps
(but only the XBO does ATMOS audio on Netflix Original titles/series)

·
Registered
354 Posts
All the Oppo had to do was pass through the same bitstream that feeds my AVR without issue when connected directly.

Why doesn't the XBO screw up my AVR if its a Microsoft issue?
Exactly. Dolby app on PC passes the Atmos bitstream to my soundbar no problem. Same configuration doesn’t work with Oppo.

Why do a Sammy K8500, and nVidia Shield NOT have issues through Oppo, yet the XBox does?
I also have the Samsung and Shield.

The Shield does lossy Atmos over DD+ if using the Vudu app. That works fine with the Oppo. The Dolby app DEMO on PC also does lossy DD+ Atmos, and that actually works fine with the Oppo.

Likely the PC/XBox Dolby app itself wants to do non-lossy Atmos. But somehow the Oppo and PC/XBox don’t agree.

Samsung audio output can be set to PCM or bitstream. If set to bitstream, it forces that output regardless of what the Oppo asks for. So non-lossy Atmos over TrueHD is fine.

So on the PC, I pulled the EDID info for audio both with and without the Oppo.

PC to K950 soundbar (Atmos ok) shows:

CE audio data (formats supported)
LPCM 2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88 kHz
AC-3 6-channel, 640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DTS 6-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DTS 2-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DD+ 8-channel, 16-bit at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
DVD-A 8-channel, 16-bit at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz

CE speaker allocation data
Channel configuration.... 7.1
Front left/right......... Yes
Front LFE................ Yes
Front center............. Yes
Rear left/right.......... Yes
Rear center.............. No
Front left/right center.. No
Rear left/right center... Yes
Rear LFE................. No

PC to Oppo to K950 soundbar (Atmos not ok) shows:

CE audio data (formats supported)
LPCM 8-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
AC-3 6-channel, 640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DTS 6-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DD+ 8-channel at 44/48 kHz
AAC 8-channel, 640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DTS-HD 8-channel, 16-bit at 44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
DVD-A 8-channel at 44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
SACD 6-channel at 44 kHz

CE speaker allocation data
Channel configuration.... 7.1
Front left/right......... Yes
Front LFE................ Yes
Front center............. Yes
Rear left/right.......... Yes
Rear center.............. No
Front left/right center.. No
Rear left/right center... Yes
Rear LFE................. No

So the Oppo is reporting it’s own capabilities to the PC, not the capabilities of the soundbar.

For passthrough, shouldn’t the Oppo report what the soundbar/AVR wants?

So the Oppo tells the PC that LPCM up to 8ch is ok, but the soundbar can only do 2ch PCM. PC sends 7.1ch which the Oppo changes to 2ch. And that doesn’t work for Atmos.

With the PC directly connected to the soundbar, it sees that the K950 does 2ch PCM, so the Dolby app knows not to try to do Atmos through that. And it uses some other audio format that works for the soundbar.

Anyway, I may not have it completely correct, but it looks something like that, I think.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've about had it with the Oppo's hdmi input and its mind boggling problems. Its stupid, but I'm going to plug an ATV4K into its input and have it split between my LG OLED and soundbar. The worst issue has been sync with a more complicated setup.

Also the units (203 and 205) when going into input will often frack the ability to playback from network (request another logon) which requires a reboot of the Oppo. The hdmi input on the Oppo could be an awesome asset, but sometimes it really loses its mind. Just went through a myriad of troubleshooting and problems solved removing Oppo input from the equation.

What is its HDMI-ARC supposed to accomplish?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
^ HDMI ARC is "Audio Return Channel". It's a feature which allows a TV to send audio back down the HDMI cable that normally is feeding video INTO the TV. A typical use would be if you are watching a channel on the TV's built-in Tuner and want to get audio back to the AVR on the cable the AVR would normally use to feed video (from other Source devices) into the TV.

The audio you'll be able to send out of the TV in this fashion will be limited to what an optical or coax S/PDIF connection could carry: Either Stereo LPCM or traditional, lossy DD or DTS Bitstreams.

Like many of the whizbang features of HDMI, ARC is spec'ed loosely, which means manufacturers feel free to implement ARC that only works if their gear is at both ends of the cable.

From the point of view of the OPPO, selecting the HDMI ARC Input means you are selecting a form of digital audio input. (No video.)
--Bob

·
Registered
838 Posts
There is nothing for you to do as far as tone mapping goes. The Oppo does it for you, just pick a setting, most recommend mode 2, 300 nits, and play with it.

You should also connect your primary streaming box to the HDMI input on the Oppo so you can take advantage of the tone mapping on your Netflix and other HDR content. I personally then run the Oppo through the receiver. If you have multiple streaming devices and would like to run all of them through the Oppo, then you have no option but to run through the receiver, to the Oppo, to the projector, and then loop back the audio HDMI from the Oppo to the receiver (for disc playback).
Here’s a thought...just jumping in as I’m in the exact boat (have nearly the exact same equipment too as the person who posed the question).

Instead of routing the AVR Out -> Oppo In -> Oppo Audio Out back to AVR In, why not buy an inexpensive HDMI switch that supports HDR in 4:4:4?

You’d go: Streaming sources -> Switch -> Oppo’s HDMI In. Then connect the Oppo as normal?

You are adding one more item to the chain but I was thinking of this route as I dont need all my devices to run through the Oppo, only those that pass HDR, which is more than one (Shield, a LibreElec box, and an Xbox One...now reconsidering due to the issues Pio is having).

Thoughts?

25721 - 25740 of 38992 Posts