AVS Forum banner

25881 - 25900 of 38966 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Hi artur9,

I have a few (mkv contained) movies stored on my Synology NAS. When I access them from the Oppo (or Android app) via SMB, I see this: -

Movie file names are displayed in full. Long movie file names are scrolled...

Cheers

Anyone know if there is a way to click on a button and get a movie synopsis or at least get the picture next to the movie to be larger?

·
Registered
677 Posts
For the latest beta:

Is there still an issue with black clipping and color shift in bright white when tone mapping HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020?

This had been an ongoing problem that got better, but was still present.
Test patterns (like Masciola) don’t seem to work well with the new beta. Because it appears to be a dynamic mapping, it makes it difficult to tell what clips. The blacks do appear to clip below 2%, but it doesn’t appear in real content. Try the masciola disc and you’ll see what I mean.

I do think it looks fantastic and look forward to more updates. No more banding either

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Test patterns (like Masciola) don’t seem to work well with the new beta. Because it appears to be a dynamic mapping, it makes it difficult to tell what clips. The blacks do appear to clip below 2%, but it doesn’t appear in real content. Try the masciola disc and you’ll see what I mean.

I do think it looks fantastic and look forward to more updates. No more banding either

The lack of banding was a pleasant surprise when I saw they corrected that a while ago. I think 2% does sound about right....there aren't many scenes that show it, but the beginning of Star Trek Beyond in the mini-aliens cave space is one that does show areas where shadow detail becomes clipping. It is better than it was, but still there.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I have to apologize to some members of this thread. A few pages back I was complaining (showing my 76 yrs) about difficulty passing my roku ultra(2017) through the HDMI input on my oppo 203. I do not know what I did but today I rehooked it back up. It works beautifully. Passed uhd hdr and on vudu Dolby Atmos . Must call oppo and cancelled ticket. I am not on the bets waiting for the official firmware.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi artur9,

I have a few (mkv contained) movies stored on my Synology NAS. When I access them from the Oppo (or Android app) via SMB, I see this: -

Movie file names are displayed in full. Long movie file names are scrolled...

Cheers
What did you do to generate your MKV files to get pictures/titles? Mine just shows a generic icon and file name. Would love a setup like this!

Thanks,
Iriwn

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
New Owner

I just received my new 203 today and I must say that I'm very impressed. I've tried the Samsung 9500 that made everything look like oompa loompas and then an LG 970 that washed out everything, an X800 that was pretty good and a new X700 that was just junk.

The Oppo is in a different league. I have it hooked up to my X930e and have discovered that letting the player upscale seems to be a slightly better picture than the extreme Sony processor. I've been watching old blu-ray movies and seeing more detail and realistic color than I ever have before. It's like watching them for the first time.

I have my Roku Ultra hooked into the HDMI input because the X930e doesn't have HDR in the built in YouTube app. It looks great! I downloaded the latest beta firmware because it noted improved HDMI input capabilities.

I'm a happy camper!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Same here, how did you get the thumbnails?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Seemoredigital said he used 600x600jpgs with the same name as the movie. So far with testing I've found either the size of the file matters or the color filter. Using 600x600 pixel, about 200kb files with 24bit rgb seems to work.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just got my Oppo and I have a quick question for JVC x20 owners. I am using a custom mode with BT.2020 and color profile, gamma 2.4. What setting to select for color temperature? HDR?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Is Media Control app buggy for everyone? At least on my iPhone it is very unreliable, it crashes and freezes constantly. For a premium brand this app is simply not acceptable

·
Read the FAQ!
35,421 Posts
Is Media Control app buggy for everyone? At least on my iPhone it is very unreliable, it crashes and freezes constantly. For a premium brand this app is simply not acceptable
Which iPhone do you have and what version of iOS are you running on it? I agree the app needs an update. Not sure what the delay might be.

You can also report to OPPO Tech Support. You can use the Email Us link found on OPPO's Support page for the player.
--Bob

·
Registered
607 Posts
Which iPhone do you have and what version of iOS are you running on it? I agree the app needs an update. Not sure what the delay might be.

You can also report to OPPO Tech Support. You can use the Email Us link found on OPPO's Support page for the player.

--Bob

iPhone 8 on 11.2.6. It is almost unusable, especially the back arrow is not responsive most of the times. The app of my Yamaha AVR works like a charm, so I end up streaming music from the AVR instead from the Oppo

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry if this is a basics question but here it is. I just picked picked up my oppo 203. How do I know if it’s upscaling or is my JVC DLA-579RB or Marantz 6011?

I’m new to home theatre and really have no real knowledge and what components should do what.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,906 Posts
Sorry if this is a basics question but here it is. I just picked picked up my oppo 203. How do I know if it’s upscaling or is my JVC DLA-579RB or Marantz 6011?

I’m new to home theatre and really have no real knowledge and what components should do what.

Thanks
It depends on the output resolution of the player. If you use a UHD resolution then the player is upscaling DVD and Blu-ray and the receiver just passes that to the display which accepts it as is.

When playing UHD disc there is no upscaling anywhere.

-Bill

·
Registered
312 Posts
It depends on the output resolution of the player. If you use a UHD resolution then the player is upscaling DVD and Blu-ray and the receiver just passes that to the display which accepts it as is.

When playing UHD disc there is no upscaling anywhere.

-Bill

Is that an option on the oppo 203 I should have on?

Thanks for the quick response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25881 - 25900 of 38966 Posts