AVS Forum banner

26361 - 26380 of 38982 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did a Simple Test

Not having meters or any other instruments (nor the expertise), I decided to do a simple eyeball test. Put in the UHD disc of X-men Apocalypse and watched a few scenes - with Oppo at Off BT2020 and then at Auto, switching back and forth a couple of times. All I can compare to is the default HDR mode the JVC switched into, which I had at identical lamp and other settings (I do have picture tone up a bit but that's it). Overall, I thought I liked the SDR BT2020 presentation better but the telling point is a scene where this girl is shooting an arrow at a target that has blue, yellow and red circles on it. The difference was obvious even to the untrained eye, including my kids - when in default HDR mode the colors "popped", particularly the red. Switching to SDR BT2020, it was clearly muted. I reset picture tone on the HDR gamma to 0 and while the "pop" subsided we could clearly see a difference in color.

This is a totally unscientific observation, but makes me think you guys might be on to something with the color gamut. Again, only measurements count as evidence, and this is just anecdotal.

·
Registered
354 Posts
But I'm still having problems with the HDMI input for my Shield (handshake, AV sync, etc) that I was not having prior to the update...
@psuKinge are you having issues when switching certain settings/Input on the Oppo as far as handshake? I don't know if I'm not waiting long enough at times, but sometimes after changing a setting, there will be a black screen for 20-30 seconds, which seems excessive. Turning off the Oppo and then back on fixes it, but a bit annoying. I'm using a JVC-RS420 and also a Shield/Xbox One X.
I was having what I thought was a handshake issue (black screen that I couldn't recover from without power cycling either my shield or the oppo or both; sometimes a full up-off-the-couch-and-unplug was required). In the limited amount of time I've had since I followed Bob's suggestion to factory reset, I'm not/haven't been seeing that behaviour.

My current #1 problem is that I'm having a big A/V sync issue when streaming lossless audio (TrueHD/HD-MA) through my Shield via Plex.
There's no A/V sync issue when I stream dolby digital via Plex on my Shield.
And there's no A/V sync issue when I use Kodi to stream the same files/lossless audio with the same Shield.

[...]

On a positive note, my Shield has always had a terrible problem with SDR-->HDR conversion, and I've been manually changing the Shield output settings (not ideal), and it *appears* like this firmware update has (drastically?) improved SDR PQ while my Shield is outputting 10-bit 4:2:0 REC.2020... which is incredible, if I'm actually seeing what I think I'm seeing....
I have handshake issues even on the previous production firmware. Power cycling Oppo, Shield, and/or PC restores AV. I found that switching from HDMI IN to Blue-ray Player, waiting for the Home menu, then switching back to HDMI IN also restores AV. Occasionally, this method doesn’t work because the Oppo won’t go to the Home menu. Then I have to power cycle the Oppo.

I’m using all brand new 2m Monoprice certified cables.

With the new firmware:

If you have your Shields on HDMI IN, is the Oppo able to receive DD+ Atmos from Vudu, and pass bitstream for output?

When streaming TrueHD through the Shield, does the Oppo receive MLP and send bitstream?

Is Atmos over TrueHD working for HDMI IN?

After playing HDR content, does the display switch back to show SDR content correctly?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This Saturday I am getting my oppo 203. I will be connecting it to JVC 9900 projector via Denon 6400 receiver. I have couple of UHD ripped iso varying in sizes from 60 GB to 90 GB in WD 8 TB external disk.
What is the best way to playback these ripped iso files from 8 TB external disc from oppo 203 player ? Please advise.

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,909 Posts
This Saturday I am getting my oppo 203. I will be connecting it to JVC 9900 projector via Denon 6400 receiver. I have couple of UHD ripped iso varying in sizes from 60 GB to 90 GB in WD 8 TB external disk.
What is the best way to playback these ripped iso files from 8 TB external disc from oppo 203 player ? Please advise.
You can't play the ISOs directly.

If you have a media player that will do that you can try routing it throught OPPO's HDMI input.

You could put your ISO files on a computer, mount them loopback to reveal the BDMV contents and try to play that over SMB or NFS. Or copy the BDMV to temporary local storage.

It would be easier to play the original discs. If you don't have the originals then you are talking about piracy, discussion of which is not allowed at AVSForum.

-Bill

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quick question about settings. I have had oppo for a day. When I play a HDR 10 disc I will see rec 2020 on my LG info in the top left. When I play a DV disc it does not show rec 2020 but indicates DV.

Is this correct or should I be seeing rec 2020 with a DV disc? The opportunity does not allow me to make HDR adjustments when in DV mode.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I am going to try to use the 203 to read 4K streams from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Directv, and output the stream on my 1080P projector. The concept is what I call FIFO. Finest In, Finest Out. I theorize that a high quality video from one of these sources will look better on my projector than a 1080 signal going to it. The trick, which has been pointed out in another thread is that the Oppo must make the sender think it is a 4K device. It needs to send an EDID signal back to Netflix for instance saying I am 4K. Otherwise Netflix switches to 1080P. Has anyone here tried this? Is my theory correct in your eyes? I noticed in the March 2nd release notes that point #4 said " Added a detailed info page for the HDMI In source". Is this the vehicle for knowing that Netflix did not switch the resolution?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I was having the same issues @psuKinger was having. I performed a factory reset of my 203, but that did not fix the problem.

What fixed my issue was going back to a single HDMI connection for both audio and video. I can now play my 4k Rips using the Nvidia Shield, without the TV going black, and eventually resetting itself. My Oppo is using the current Firmware, and my Shield/Oppo combo worked fine while it was on the previous beta firmware.

I will address this with Oppo Tech Support.

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,909 Posts
Quick question about settings. I have had oppo for a day. When I play a HDR 10 disc I will see rec 2020 on my LG info in the top left. When I play a DV disc it does not show rec 2020 but indicates DV.

Is this correct or should I be seeing rec 2020 with a DV disc? The opportunity does not allow me to make HDR adjustments when in DV mode.
That is correct. It is how the LG info display works. DV implies rec 2020 anyway.

Many player adjustments are locked out when playing DV UHD, per Dolby's requirements. We hope that will be loosened up some day.

-Bill

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
With the new firmware:

If you have your Shields on HDMI IN, is the Oppo able to receive DD+ Atmos from Vudu, and pass bitstream for output?
I don't really use/do Vudu much, but I did check it for you, and I'm definitely getting DD+ on Vudu. I don't do "atmos". I don't have any equipment for it, so I can't check it.

When streaming TrueHD through the Shield, does the Oppo receive MLP and send bitstream?
I'm not sure if I was just ignorant of this setting all along, but there's a setting in "video processing" that I found while troubleshooting another issue I'm having with TrueHD (that I believe might be related to this firmware update), that allows me to either bitstream trueHD or to have the oppor report that it's receiving MLP and then passing along LPCM. Neither of them fixed my AV lipsync issues that have to do with TrueHD playback within the Plex app on nvidia shield.

After playing HDR content, does the display switch back to show SDR content correctly?
I'm not prepared to say with absolute certainty yet, but at first glance it does appear to be, at the very least, a "major improvement" in terms of setting my sheild to 4K HDR output and then not having color space issues with watching SDR content... which is a big benefit, IMO, and the OPPO just really *adding value* to my setup.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
How do you do a factory reset on a 203? Does it just clear user changes or does it go back to a previous firmware version?

Is there a way to just reset user choices?

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,909 Posts
How do you do a factory reset on a 203? Does it just clear user changes or does it go back to a previous firmware version?
I'm sure that's in the manual.

It does not revert firmware.

-Bill

·
Registered
680 Posts
That is correct. It is how the LG info display works. DV implies rec 2020 anyway.

Many player adjustments are locked out when playing DV UHD, per Dolby's requirements. We hope that will be loosened up some day.

-Bill
Thanks.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,422 Posts

You are good to go. Dolby Vision playback will only show as Dolby Vision.

The "HDR adjustments" in the OPPO's HDR menu are only applicable when doing HDR to SDR conversion, which you do not need to do since your LG handles Dolby Vision. So things like the Target Luminance and HDR to SDR Conversion Mode settings would just be ignored anyway.

The same is true if you play HDR-10 content, unless you set the player to not output HDR. (Something you might want to try just for kicks and grins, but which is unlikely to be useful during normal viewing.)
--Bob

·
Read the FAQ!
35,422 Posts
I am going to try to use the 203 to read 4K streams from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Directv, and output the stream on my 1080P projector. The concept is what I call FIFO. Finest In, Finest Out. I theorize that a high quality video from one of these sources will look better on my projector than a 1080 signal going to it. The trick, which has been pointed out in another thread is that the Oppo must make the sender think it is a 4K device. It needs to send an EDID signal back to Netflix for instance saying I am 4K. Otherwise Netflix switches to 1080P. Has anyone here tried this? Is my theory correct in your eyes? I noticed in the March 2nd release notes that point #4 said " Added a detailed info page for the HDMI In source". Is this the vehicle for knowing that Netflix did not switch the resolution?
In the new firmware, you can use the Extended Info display (Press and Hold Info button on the Remote for a few seconds until it appears, and then use Up/Down Arrow to scroll through to read all of it) to see what's coming in when playing content via the player's HDMI Input.

The first section of the Extended Info display shows the content coming in. It will tell you, for example, the Resolution coming in and whether that video coming in is HDR or SDR.

How good 4K Internet streams will look depends on LOTS of things, not least of which are the games the Internet streaming services play to try to keep the bit-rate down. Just because something is called 4K resolution doesn't mean it is *GOOD* 4K resolution. For example, the file they are sending you may simply be upscaled from a 1080p master -- in which case viewing the original 1080p from disc will likely look better. And these services operate on a "whatever we can get away with" policy when it comes to bit-starving (over compressing) these streams. The most common place you'll find problems will be in dark scenes. The services assume MOST people won't have their displays properly calibrated, and thus can't see dark scenes very well to begin with. So, they figure, that's a great place for them to compress the stream (reducing the streaming bit rate).

If you play a 4K UHD disc, you can use the Info display in the player to see the bit rate of data coming off the disc. Now keep in mind the data coming off the disc is *COMPRESSED* -- not raw video, and this bit rate refers to reading in that COMPRESSED data off the disc. The player expands the compressed data to produce what goes out on HDMI to your display. What you'll find is that UHD discs typically have data reading bit-rates above 30 Megabits Per Second (Mbps) -- with peak rates near 100 Mbps.

Netflix, for example, says things will be just peachy for their 4K streams if you have 15Mbps Internet service. They claim their whizbang compression is so much more efficient that you'll never see what's missing. See, "whatever they can get away with", above.

Netflix also operates on the principal, "The Show Must go On!". So if there's a problem, perhaps temporary, in your Internet service or in-house network, Netflix will switch gears to send you a lower streaming rate, automatically, so that the movie keeps playing -- at reduced quality of course.

Please note, the Extended Info display in the OPPO has no way to know what streaming rate is coming in to your Netflix player, nor how that streaming file was created, nor what the Netflix player is doing to it after it arrives. The OPPO only knows the Netflix player is sending it 4K video or 1080p video on that HDMI Input, for example. You just have to take it on faith that at least some of those pixels are "correct".

I hate to harp on Netflix, but they are the easiest example. Whatever damage they have done to the movie in the creation of the streaming files -- or in the compression of the stream sent to their player -- or in the whizbang processing done in that player (see Step 2: A Miracle Occurs) to turn that into HDMI output at 1080p or 4K going to the OPPO, can *NOT* be corrected by processing in the OPPO. Any damage already done is PERMANENT -- information has been permanently lost and can not be resurrected by any sort of clever video processing.

And finally, you need to realize that nothing is forever on the streaming services. So even if you DO find a movie that plays to your liking TODAY, a year from now (if it is still on their service, in the first place) they may have switched to streaming a poorer quality file -- i.e., lower bit rate, which frees up their servers for customers streaming newer content. This is one of the nice things about discs, of course. They don't change.
--Bob

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
In the new firmware, you can use the Extended Info display (Press and Hold Info button on the Remote for a few seconds until it appears, and then use Up/Down Arrow to scroll through to read all of it) to see what's coming in when playing content via the player's HDMI Input.

The first section of the Extended Info display shows the content coming in. It will tell you, for example, the Resolution coming in and whether that video coming in is HDR or SDR.

How good 4K Internet streams will look depends on LOTS of things, not least of which are the games the Internet streaming services play to try to keep the bit-rate down. Just because something is called 4K resolution doesn't mean it is *GOOD* 4K resolution. For example, the file they are sending you may simply be upscaled from a 1080p master -- in which case viewing the original 1080p from disc will likely look better. And these services operate on a "whatever we can get away with" policy when it comes to bit-starving (over compressing) these streams. The most common place you'll find problems will be in dark scenes. The services assume MOST people won't have their displays properly calibrated, and thus can't see dark scenes very well to begin with. So, they figure, that's a great place for them to compress the stream (reducing the streaming bit rate).

If you play a 4K UHD disc, you can use the Info display in the player to see the bit rate of data coming off the disc. Now keep in mind the data coming off the disc is *COMPRESSED* -- not raw video, and this bit rate refers to reading in that COMPRESSED data off the disc. The player expands the compressed data to produce what goes out on HDMI to your display. What you'll find is that UHD discs typically have data reading bit-rates above 30 Megabits Per Second (Mbps) -- with peak rates near 100 Mbps.

Netflix, for example, says things will be just peachy for their 4K streams if you have 15Mbps Internet service. They claim their whizbang compression is so much more efficient that you'll never see what's missing. See, "whatever they can get away with", above.

Netflix also operates on the principal, "The Show Must go On!". So if there's a problem, perhaps temporary, in your Internet service or in-house network, Netflix will switch gears to send you a lower streaming rate, automatically, so that the movie keeps playing -- at reduced quality of course.

Please note, the Extended Info display in the OPPO has no way to know what streaming rate is coming in to your Netflix player, nor how that streaming file was created, nor what the Netflix player is doing to it after it arrives. The OPPO only knows the Netflix player is sending it 4K video or 1080p video on that HDMI Input, for example. You just have to take it on faith that at least some of those pixels are "correct".

I hate to harp on Netflix, but they are the easiest example. Whatever damage they have done to the movie in the creation of the streaming files -- or in the compression of the stream sent to their player -- or in the whizbang processing done in that player (see Step 2: A Miracle Occurs) to turn that into HDMI output at 1080p or 4K going to the OPPO, can *NOT* be corrected by processing in the OPPO. Any damage already done is PERMANENT -- information has been permanently lost and can not be resurrected by any sort of clever video processing.

And finally, you need to realize that nothing is forever on the streaming services. So even if you DO find a movie that plays to your liking TODAY, a year from now (if it is still on their service, in the first place) they may have switched to streaming a poorer quality file -- i.e., lower bit rate, which frees up their servers for customers streaming newer content. This is one of the nice things about discs, of course. They don't change.
--Bob
Bob,

Thanks for replying. I am willing to take what I can get from the sources as I suspect that on average the 4K sources will be better input quality than their 1080P counterparts. My biggest concern is what component will identify itself to Netflix as a 4K device. Does the 203 do that? I'm told that if any EDID 1080P indentity bit is sent back to Netflix it will switch the 4K stream to 1080P. Does that handshake with the ID bits stop with the Oppo or will it go down the chain? I've already experienced this problem with my 4K receiver and Directv. When I pass my 4K signal from Directv through my Denon to my 4K panel I get the message from Directv that your TV is not 4K capable, even though it is. When I wire my HDMI straight from D* to the panel no problem. So I hate to put out $500+ for the 203 and find out it doesn't work like I would like.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,422 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for replying. I am willing to take what I can get from the sources as I suspect that on average the 4K sources will be better input quality than their 1080P counterparts. My biggest concern is what component will identify itself to Netflix as a 4K device. Does the 203 do that? I'm told that if any EDID 1080P indentity bit is sent back to Netflix it will switch the 4K stream to 1080P. Does that handshake with the ID bits stop with the Oppo or will it go down the chain? I've already experienced this problem with my 4K receiver and Directv. When I pass my 4K signal from Directv through my Denon to my 4K panel I get the message from Directv that your TV is not 4K capable, even though it is. When I wire my HDMI straight from D* to the panel no problem. So I hate to put out $500+ for the 203 and find out it doesn't work like I would like.
There's an HDMI Input Specifications setting in Setup > Device Setup in the OPPO. Use that to specify the highest type of video you want the OPPO to identify as available during the handshake with your source device. The default (UHD HDR) is the highest setting. Set that way, the HDMI Input will say it can receive 4K video with HDR-10 (but not Dolby Vision).
--Bob

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
There's an HDMI Input Specifications setting in Setup > Device Setup in the OPPO. Use that to specify the highest type of video you want the OPPO to identify as available during the handshake with your source device. The default (UHD HDR) is the highest setting. Set that way, the HDMI Input will say it can receive 4K video with HDR-10 (but not Dolby Vision).
--Bob
That sounds great. Can I assume then that the Oppo does the same thing with the display device and will then do the down rez to 1080P?

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
--Bob
I don't think this is the case when the device that the Oppo outputs to does not support 4K or HDR. We discussed this earlier and I posted that my Samsung K8500 UHD player would not send HDR if the Oppo output was to a non-HDR device. I did not test 1080p, but I expect the same would be true when the Oppo output is connected to a 1080p device.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2676801-official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread-841.html#post55653918

I think the Oppo is required to report the display device's capabilities just like an AVR would.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I don't think this is the case when the device that the Oppo outputs to does not support 4K or HDR. We discussed this earlier and I posted that my Samsung K8500 UHD player would not send HDR if the Oppo output was to a non-HDR device. I did not test 1080p, but I expect the same would be true when the Oppo output is connected to a 1080p device.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2676801-official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread-841.html#post55653918

I think the Oppo is required to report the display device's capabilities just like an AVR would.
Yikes! That sounds too logical. I really was hesitant to invest in a 4K projector until they improved in their performance and the HDR issues had settled down.

26361 - 26380 of 38982 Posts