AVS Forum banner

26581 - 26600 of 38970 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Alright guys, hopefully you don't mind helping me diagnose my problem.

Here's my setup:

JVC RS420 PJ
Denon X4300
Oppo UDP-203
Nvidia Shield
Xbox One X

I rip all my Blu-Ray UHD 4K discs and them on a hard drive for ease of use (yes, lazy, I know). I play my 4K UHD files through my Nvidia Shield, through the media player Kodi. I'm brand new to the Oppo 203 (have only had it for about a week and haven't messed around with it). I just installed the most recent update, did a factory reset, unplugged it, and it shows the correct firmware.

I initially had my Xbox and Nvidia Shield going into my AVR, then from my AVR out to the input on the Oppo, then Output to my JVC. I then tried plugging directly from the Shield, to the Oppo, then to the AVR to see if that would make a difference, no dice.

Here's my issue - If I run HDR Off (BT.2020), I can't get HDR to engage at all. As a result, the color is dark and the color gamut is a mess (over saturated, highlights blown out, and just a mess). The only way I've been able to get HDR to engage is by setting the HDR setting to Auto and/or Forced, but using this method, the picture quality is quite dull and I know it is capable of looking much better. I know one option is to upload customs curves, but I was hoping to use the Oppo's HDR settings instead.

Here are some pictures if it helps. I've tried all the different settings in the Oppo App, Auto everything, fixed color space, etc., and no dice.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm completely lost.
If you set HDR to off then it won't engage, that's the whole point. The OPPO will tone map the HDR image to work on your projector in SDR. All you have to do is set the JVC color space to BT2020 and have a 2.4 calibrated gamma.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you set HDR to off then it won't engage, that's the whole point. The OPPO will tone map the HDR image to work on your projector in SDR. All you have to do is set the JVC color space to BT2020 and have a 2.4 calibrated gamma.
Buddy...ok, that makes sense, so it shouldn't be showing HDR, but rather, SDR and then doing the work behind the scenes, correct?

On the JVC, I have the color space set to BT2020...and then off the top of my head, the HDR gamma. Do you exactly which default JVC setting the 2.4 calibrated gamma is? Sorry, total newbie to UHD, ugh. :confused:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Buddy...ok, that makes sense, so it shouldn't be showing HDR, but rather, SDR and then doing the work behind the scenes, correct?

On the JVC, I have the color space set to BT2020...and then off the top of my head, the HDR gamma. Do you exactly which default JVC setting the 2.4 calibrated gamma is? Sorry, total newbie to UHD, ugh. :confused:
No problem, you shouldn't be using HDR gamma. Just set the color space to BT2020 and set the gamma to 2.4, and it should be ok as far as the JVC goes. Think of it as sending an SDR signal to the projector that keeps the expanded BT2020 color space. You will still need to pick which mode you like best on the OPPO and which Nits level works best for you. I have been using mode 2 at 400 Nits for most movies but I like the image a little bright at the cost of a few highlights.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
@ntxoa and @psuKinger

A restore of the Shield did the trick. I reinstalled SPMC and I can now get Lossless Audio from this App with the Shield connected to the 203's HDMI Input. I will relay this back to Oppo Tech Support to let them know.

I'm going to reconnect a separate HDMI Audio connection to see how things go as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No problem, you shouldn't be using HDR gamma. Just set the color space to BT2020 and set the gamma to 2.4, and it should be ok as far as the JVD goes. Think of it as sending an SDR signal to the projector that keeps the expanded BT202 color space. You will still need to pick which mode you like best on the OPPO and which Nits level works best for you. I have been using mode 2 at 400 Nits for most movies but I like the image a little bright at the cost of a few highlights.
Buddy, ok, that makes sense...helps me wrap my mind around what's going on. Do you know by chance which setting is gamma 2.4 on the JVC? From memory in the menu settings, it doesn't have them label Gamma 2.4 (or does it)?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Buddy, ok, that makes sense...helps me wrap my mind around what's going on. Do you know by chance which setting is gamma 2.4 on the JVC? From memory in the menu settings, it doesn't have them label Gamma 2.4 (or does it)?
You have to use a custom gamma slot and pick correction value of 2.4

Also use HDR color temp with correction value of 6500K, in addiytion to BT2020 color space

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Just use the same gamma you use for regular Blu-ray.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey everyone. I’ve been following this thread since the beginning and have had my Oppo 203 since January after I sold my much loved 103.
I have the 203 connected to 2 monitors, one being a 50” P series Vizio which since it does DV and HDR, I don’t have to mess with any HDR to SDR conversion. My main source when I care about watching movies is a EPSON 5030 1080P projector and this is where I am looking for confirmation that what I’m doing is OK. I let the 203 down convert my UHD movies to 1080P and turn off HDR and use the SDR/BT2020 setting and currently use mode 3 at 300 nits and to my untrained eyes am very happy with what I see.
Is what I’m doing with a 1080P projector ok or should I be doing something different?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Let's take this to the RS420 thread

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Hey everyone. I’ve been following this thread since the beginning and have had my Oppo 203 since January after I sold my much loved 103.
I have the 203 connected to 2 monitors, one being a 50” P series Vizio which since it does DV and HDR, I don’t have to mess with any HDR to SDR conversion. My main source when I care about watching movies is a EPSON 5030 1080P projector and this is where I am looking for confirmation that what I’m doing is OK. I let the 203 down convert my UHD movies to 1080P and turn off HDR and use the SDR/BT2020 setting and currently use mode 3 at 300 nits and to my untrained eyes am very happy with what I see.
Is what I’m doing with a 1080P projector ok or should I be doing something different?
Thanks for any help.
You probably want SDR709 rather than 2020. It doesn’t look like the Epson has a 2020 mode or capability.

I would say you want AUTO for HDR but having two different output devices may confuse things? Or do you switch and only have one connected at a time?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Don’t worry. On the 420 there isn’t a color filter so color temp shouldn’t shift much or perhaps at all.

On the 520 there is a special p3 filter when in rec2020 mode and that filter can shift the white point.
That makes sense, Thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don’t worry. On the 420 there isn’t a color filter so color temp shouldn’t shift much or perhaps at all.

On the 520 there is a special p3 filter when in rec2020 mode and that filter can shift the white point.
Sure, but you still have to pick a color temp in your settings and HDR 6500 works well

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sure, but you still have to pick a color temp in your settings and HDR 6500 works well

@Buddylee123 @gravi you guys came through, ha. I was so confused, but everything looks great now, sheesh! The JVC and HDR as they should be...glorious! The issue as already stated was I was using the HDR Gamma Setting. Like gravi said, went to Custom 1 and then found the setting for Gamma 2.4, then chose the color temperature as HDR at 6500k, and now all is more than right in the world, phew!

Sincerely you guys, thank you so much, I was going nuts! :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
You probably want SDR709 rather than 2020. It doesn’t look like the Epson has a 2020 mode or capability.

I would say you want AUTO for HDR but having two different output devices may confuse things? Or do you switch and only have one connected at a time?
I switch as needed. Everything goes through a Denon X4400H. When I check the detailed info on the 203, It says it’s putting out BT2020 12bit. As I mentioned the picture looks pretty good to me, but I just worry if I’m wrong in what I’m doing. There a lot more knowledgeable people here than myself when it comes to this stuff, which is why I am asking for guidance.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Sure yes. I am not familiar with preset names on the x20 series. That sounds like a fine preset. Even using the same color temp as for rec709 is likely fine. But that one sounds better.

I switch as needed. Everything goes through a Denon X4400H. When I check the detailed info on the 203, It says it’s putting out BT2020 12bit. As I mentioned the picture looks pretty good to me, but I just worry if I’m wrong in what I’m doing. There a lot more knowledgeable people here than myself when it comes to this stuff, which is why I am asking for guidance.
Unless your projector has a way to understand rec2020 I would say leave the Oppo on AUTO and that is likely to work well. It will know to downconvert. If not then SDR709 is better for you than SDR2020 because it more closely matches your projectors capabilities. (But you’ll need to manually switch the oppo back to Auto every time you want to use your flat panel and maybe cycle your receiver to trigger a new handshake. )

·
Registered
402 Posts
Unless your projector has a way to understand rec2020 I would say leave the Oppo on AUTO and that is likely to work well. It will know to downconvert. If not then SDR709 is better for you than SDR2020 because it more closely matches your projectors capabilities. (But you’ll need to manually switch the oppo back to Auto every time you want to use your flat panel and maybe cycle your receiver to trigger a new handshake. )[/QUOTE]

Thanks nathan_h, I will set HDR to Auto. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

26581 - 26600 of 38970 Posts