AVS Forum banner

29661 - 29680 of 39002 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hey there good people - had my 203 for a few months now and just recently, while watching a blu ray movie, my monitor would go blank for about a second every 7 to ten minutes or so. Called customer support at Crutchfield and they said I might have a bad HDMI cable. I haven't swapped it out yet but was wondering if anyone else had that issue.
1080P or 4K/HDR? - assume your are using the 18Gbps cable that came with the OPPO?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
They're just following The Prime Directive

Soon. The Oracle will only say "soon".

-Bill

Dr. McCoy, of all people, understood The Noninterference Doctrine - similar as it was to the medical injuction to "First, do no harm." But he felt Hippocratical about not telling those people that they were on board a spaceship on an accidental fatal course, and they reveal that secret to their leader, Natira (seen in Bill's photo) to save the people's lives. (For The World Is Hollow, And I Have Touched The Sky - Original Series, Third Season, Episode 10). For a modern adaptation of that story, see The Orville Episode 4, If The Stars Should Appear.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Likely going with the Oppo. Knowing the Dolby Vision issue doesn't affect me may push me over the edge. My last concern is for the lack of HDR10+ since I think many discs will go that way eventually.

I've had bad experiences with Panasonic players in the past as well. Oppo seems like the better bet even if this division of theirs has gone out of business other than a few more years of support.
You might want to consider a TV brand other than LG if you are concerned about HDR10+ support.

LG has not made a commitment to support HDR10+. LG has implemented dynamic frame by frame tone mapping in its TVs while HDR10+ is scene by scene.

https://www.channelnews.com.au/lg-remains-unimpressed-by-hdr10/

When asked if LG would extend its HDR TV compatibility to include HDR10+, Darren Petersen, Head of Product marketing, offered Inside CI an unqualified ‘No.’ The company says its own HDR Pro processing, which adds dynamic metadata to static HDR10, has made the new technology irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,173 Posts
You might want to consider a TV brand other than LG if you are concerned about HDR10+ support.

LG has not made a commitment to support HDR10+. LG has implemented dynamic frame by frame tone mapping in its TVs while HDR10+ is scene by scene.

When asked if LG would extend its HDR TV compatibility to include HDR10+, Darren Petersen, Head of Product marketing, offered Inside CI an unqualified ‘No.’ The company says its own HDR Pro processing, which adds dynamic metadata to static HDR10, has made the new technology irrelevant.
Thanks for that info! I did not know that and actually I am not concerned with HDR10+, I'm concerned with being able to use all my gear to the best of it's potential. I was under the assumption that the LG was capable of DV and HDR10+. So that's even more reason for me to get the Oppo over waiting for the Panasonic. Thanks, this really squashed my only remaining concern.

Did you not register at Oppo for the waiting list? Last Friday, I received a link to purchase just 2 hours after I registered. Shipped same day and will arrive Friday.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/lastbatch.aspx
I did just last night. If I get an email to purchase, which I really hope I do, I will be doing so IMMEDIATELY. In the mean-time, the search continues.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It could be a cable issue. It may have just worked itself loose a bit. Try removing and reseating both ends. Sometimes equipment gets moved a little and cables get pulled or stressed and lose their good connections. Hopefully you are already using premium certified cables to start with right?
Thanks very much - Can't recall exactly what the specs are on the cable but it performed flawlessly for several months - I will definitely try reseating the cable at both ends.

·
Registered
182 Posts
1080P or 4K/HDR? - assume your are using the 18Gbps cable that came with the OPPO?
Thanks Bob B - I must admit that I don't recall there being a cable included with the very well packaged OPPO unit but I just watched an "Unboxing" video on Youtube and you are indeed correct - if I did not use it I will definitely swap it out. The movie was a 1080P blu ray "A Most Wanted Man" excellent film by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Man these are hard to find. Can't seem to find one reasonably priced. Reached out to Jeff at Value Electronics via email - no response yet...
When I ordered mine from them, the website showed they had only 2 open box display models left. I got one, and I'll bet the other went right out the door behind me!
Hope you get the reply from the OPPO sign up, and the chance to order.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Thanks Bob B - I must admit that I don't recall there being a cable included with the very well packaged OPPO unit but I just watched an "Unboxing" video on Youtube and you are indeed correct - if I did not use it I will definitely swap it out. The movie was a 1080P blu ray "A Most Wanted Man" excellent film by the way.
There is also the possibility that something went wrong with your firmware update. It occasionally happens. Try re-installing the update and be sure to do a factory reset and completely power cycle the player afterward. If you have settings changes you have done to the oppo, you can save them to a USB stick before doing the update and then reload them afterward. All of the reset and settings savings selections are in the Oppo's setup menus.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

This is Sony's position as well...HDR10+ is Samsung's baby. Panasonic is going to support it as well as some of the lesser brands but Sony and LG have no current plans to support it for the reasons above.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
To those who are trying desperately to find a 203 right now, take heart; I have a feeling that there will be several 203s for sale (by owners) in August when Oppo releases the final batch of 205s.

You see, I'd be willing to bet that there will be many 203 owners (who signed up to the 205 interest list) who will be upgrading to the higher-end model, now that both are going to be gone forever...

·
Registered
256 Posts
To those who are trying desperately to find a 203 right now, take heart; I have a feeling that there will be several 203s for sale (by owners) in August when Oppo releases the final batch of 205s.

You see, I'd be willing to bet that there will be many 203 owners (who signed up to the 205 interest list) who will be upgrading to the higher-end model, now that both are going to be gone forever...
Yes, indeed. I know of one right now!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was lucky enough to order a refurbished one directly from Oppo last week. Now I'm undecided if I should keep it or simply sell it. In all honesty I probably don't need it, I don't have a need for HDR to SDR conversion, DVD audio, pre outs, etc. I just saw it available and took the plunge knowing they're an endangered species.

Is the Picture quality on a regular UHD disc noticeably better than a a regular UHD player? (Philips in my case)

I bought it for the DV support but given that my LG B6 hasn't received the DV fix yet for elevated black levels, I would probably end up forcing HDR10 anyways.

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,173 Posts
I was lucky enough to order a refurbished one directly from Oppo last week. Now I'm undecided if I should keep it or simply sell it. In all honesty I probably don't need it, I don't have a need for HDR to SDR conversion, DVD audio, pre outs, etc. I just saw it available and took the plunge knowing they're an endangered species.

Is the Picture quality on a regular UHD disc noticeable better than a a regular UHD player? (Philips in my case)

I bought it for the DV support but given that my LG B6 hasn't received the DV fix yet for elevated black levels, I would probably end up forcing HDR10 anyways.
Let me know if you decide to sell - also someone said only the Sony TVs have DV issues with the Oppos, LG TVs should be fine with their current DV implementation.

29661 - 29680 of 39002 Posts