AVS Forum banner

31181 - 31200 of 39009 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Green line on right edge

I have a 203 hooked up to a BenQ 2150st. Obviously that is a 1080p SDR projector.

I have no issues with the 203 aside from 4k UHD Blu playback. It goes without saying that watching 4k discs on this projector can lead to questionable color and dynamic range issues. That is trade-off I am willing to make for discs that have Atmos or where there is a vastly superior scan like what sounds like the new Mission Impossible disc will be.

My issue is that with playback on 4k discs and 4k discs only I am getting a very bright green line on the right hand edge of the image along the entire side. It appears to be one pixel wide exactly. 4k discs are the only time it shows up.

It appears to be attached to the image in some way. When zooming on the oppo no matter how large the image becomes the green line remains on the edge. When I shrink the image the green line will appear on the reduced images edge not the projection area edge.

Using over-scan on the projector will push the green line off screen. If I try and use the oppo's underscan in conjunction to compensate then the line returns.

I have tried changing every setting I can think of but nothing seems to effect it.

One time while trying to fix it it did go away, but I have never been able to recreate that and am now starting to doubt it ever happened.

I appreciate anyone who has read this far and has any insight at all. I have spent weeks searching the internet and come up empty.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Curves are done in the projector. The OPPO has a form of tone mapping in its HDR off mode but that is hopefully being tweaked now to improve color saturation. I suggest you look in the specific JVC projector forums, RS600 and up, and you will find what you are looking for.

Reactions: WOKNROX

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I'd vote for using a different term than "rip". I'm trying hard to get out of the habit of using that word but it's hard, lol. "Extract" perhaps.
Personally, I always use the term "back-up"...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Does the HDMI-In port on the back share settings with the disc player or does it have separately assignable settings (e.g.,video)? Thanks.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,430 Posts
I have a 203 hooked up to a BenQ 2150st. Obviously that is a 1080p SDR projector.

I have no issues with the 203 aside from 4k UHD Blu playback. It goes without saying that watching 4k discs on this projector can lead to questionable color and dynamic range issues. That is trade-off I am willing to make for discs that have Atmos or where there is a vastly superior scan like what sounds like the new Mission Impossible disc will be.

My issue is that with playback on 4k discs and 4k discs only I am getting a very bright green line on the right hand edge of the image along the entire side. It appears to be one pixel wide exactly. 4k discs are the only time it shows up.

It appears to be attached to the image in some way. When zooming on the oppo no matter how large the image becomes the green line remains on the edge. When I shrink the image the green line will appear on the reduced images edge not the projection area edge.

Using over-scan on the projector will push the green line off screen. If I try and use the oppo's underscan in conjunction to compensate then the line returns.

I have tried changing every setting I can think of but nothing seems to effect it.

One time while trying to fix it it did go away, but I have never been able to recreate that and am now starting to doubt it ever happened.

I appreciate anyone who has read this far and has any insight at all. I have spent weeks searching the internet and come up empty.
Email OPPO Tech Support and see if they already have history with this projector. They can help you diagnose this.
—Bob

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
With that in mind I grabbed one of my kids MacBook airs, connected to my windows share and then shared it from the MacBook. Now the oppo sees it and the content plays fine.
I just need to come up with a better solution. Perhaps Linux in a vm in windows 10?
That should technically work... if all your devices are connected through a router, you can also investigate assigning it the MB role.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
That should technically work... if all your devices are connected through a router, you can also investigate assigning it the MB role.
That is, in my experience, probably the best route to take.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've added some new sections to the FAQ:

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

The part on "How do I access SMB shares on Windows 10?" is particularly rough because (a) I don't use Windows, (b) a variety of solutions have been posted over time, and (c) Windows. Your comments and corrections are always welcome.

On "How do I play full-disc Blu-ray and UHD backups?", I don't do it myself but I ran some tests this afternoon and have reported what I found. If you see different behavior: I don't know what to say. Life is strange.

-Bill

Thanks Bill, your FAQs are invaluable! Do you know why forcing HDR10 output from a DV disc isn't an option within the UI? A quick search turned up the earlier messages on the procedure, but I didn't see a clear reason it's not in the 203/205 settings.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Even better now as the New Beta FW show you on the Start of the UHD HDR movie which is HDR 10 with a LOGO (Left top side) or Dolby Vision (on the right top side. :)
The HDR10 logo was displayed before the OPPO Sony DV beta fix was released and the Dolby Vision logo is actually done by your Sony 4K UHD TV. But OPPO's latest beta firmware does display an additional Dolby Vision notification on the left side of the screen.

Attachments

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,922 Posts
Thanks Bill, your FAQs are invaluable! Do you know why forcing HDR10 output from a DV disc isn't an option within the UI? A quick search turned up the earlier messages on the procedure, but I didn't see a clear reason it's not in the 203/205 settings.
Just as a guess: Dolby doesn't want you doing that. They tightly control all aspects of their product.

You ought to be able to control it from the disc menu, just like audio tracks and subtitles, right? I don't think they will allow that sort of authoring.

-Bill

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't own a projector, just a TV.

In my opinion, the normal path would be to connect the Oppo to the AVR using a single HDMI cable. The AVR would be set to pass through the 4k video to the projector (via another HDMI cable). With a TV, you'd want the connection to the AVR to be using the ARC (audio return channel) ports, to allow you to send audio from the TV to the AVR. As you're using a projector, that's irrelevant. Use any HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant ports.

Don't the "custom curves" reside on the projector, similarly to a calibrated TV? The Oppo has some picture adjustments, but I've never touched them. I only use the TV's settings. If you're speaking of calibration, I suppose that you could have it performed on the whole train, but talk to the calibrator to find whether it would make a difference. I'd expect the differences between disks would be greater than the cal differences.

Unlike a TV, the projector can operate in a true 2k mode. I believe that the default mode of the Oppo is to scale everything up to 4k, but you can set it to just output the video at its native resolution. The NAD does no additional upscaling.

I hope that I'm answering your question. Somehow, "newbie" doesn't go together with an $8k (list) projector and $2.5k receiver for me.
Thanks for the response. I am a newbie in regard to the OPPO and its features.

I now realize I have been mixing tone mapping with custom curves. Need to read up some more on it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am a newbie in regard to the OPPO and its features.

I now realize I have been mixing tone mapping with custom curves. Need to read up some more on it.
The oppo tone mapping is really easy with a projector. Just set oppo to HDR off BT2020, try mode 2 around 300 nits (change to your taste), and put your projector in its regular gamma (2.4 or 2.2), BT2020, d65 and youre good to go.

Right now there are some issues with the oppo outputting rec 709 instead of 2020, but it still looks great. Once that is fixed itll look even better.

The custom curves are a little trickier. They have to be downloaded into your PJ. Looks great too, but little more work involved.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I screwed up. Big time.

I just got the offer to buy the 205 from Oppo. But instead of clicking on Buy immediately, I surfed to another page first (don't ask). Now the link is invalid. A word to the wise. I'm going to go weep in a corner now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just got the offer to buy the 205 from Oppo. But instead of clicking on Buy immediately, I surfed to another page first (don't ask). Now the link is invalid. A word to the wise. I'm going to go weep in a corner now.
I'd email Oppo and, after confessing your sins, beg for forgiveness and a new purchase link.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The HDR10 logo was displayed before the OPPO Sony DV beta fix was released and the Dolby Vision logo is actually done by your Sony 4K UHD TV. But OPPO's latest beta firmware does display an additional Dolby Vision notification on the left side of the screen.
I only get the one DV notification and no HDR10 notification.

31181 - 31200 of 39009 Posts