AVS Forum banner

37681 - 37700 of 38991 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Anyone has a set of recommendation for setting up video/audio on a 203 connecting to JVC RS1000/NX5?
4K/HDR/etc
Thanks

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Anyone has a set of recommendation for setting up video/audio on a 203 connecting to JVC RS1000/NX5?
4K/HDR/etc
Thanks
See my last post - immediately before yours.

I'm using an RS1000 with my 203 and have no problem leaving both in their default settings, as is the AVR in between, a Yamaha RX-A3070, which is a few years back but is fully capable of sending through, unmolested, UHD and 3D video signals.

Just make sure you're using premium certified HDMI cables - the Monoprice cables are very inexpensive and work fine.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
808 Posts
SMB servers have an icon that says "SMB" in the middle. Everything else is DNLA, which can have limitations on what it will support. SMB is direct file access. Try the file on a thumb drive.
That worked perfectly. I guess sometimes easy is best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the new SHIELD PRO with the 203 trying to play atmos

i do not think i have seen this topic yet in this thread. NEW SHIELD Pro plugged into the Oppo 203 HDMI -IN. Then HDMI out from Oppo Going to a SAMSUNG HW-K950 soundbar. **Trying to get ATMOS to play from the SHield Pro is the question.**

I can see that NETFLIX is showing the ATMOS option for content that contains ATMOS (LOST IN SPACE, 6 UNDERground, etc). But the ATMOS won't play (I say this because the BLUE atmos light is not on the SAMSUNG soundbar). But there is sound.

When I put a disk in my OPPO (newest STAR WARS dvd's) the oppo 203 is playing DV and ATMOS combined through the HW-K950. So I do not think it is a HDMI cable issue.

Anyone have any thoughts about the Shield Pro not being able to play ATMOS through the Oppo 203 HDMI - IN??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having a hard time getting ATMOS on Disney+ or any streaming for that matter.

Currently have the following setup, ATV4K into my HDMI-IN on my Oppo-203, Then HDMI-OUT (Audio) to my AV Receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-95) (which passes thru ATMOS) and my other HDMI-OUT (Video) on the Oppo to my new Panasonic GZ1000 to get Dolby Vision as my Receiver won't pass thru Dolby Vision. This was my best work around to get Dolby Vision, luckily the Oppo comes with the HDMI-IN feature.

I must add, when playing physical media from the Oppo which is connected to my AV Receiver as stated above, I get ATMOS sound. no issues whats so ever.

Is there a setting on the Oppo I am missing? or a setting on the ATV4K that I am missing? ATV4K is at least giving me 5.1 sound when watching/streaming for example Star Wars Mandalorian. I decided to go with the ATV4K as many purists stated that its the best for DV and ATMOS streaming.

Is my only solution to plug in the ATV4K directly to the AV Receiver and get Dolby ATMOS but lose out on Dolby Vision, OR worst case purchase a new Receiver, which I can't do at this moment.

Any info greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Is my only solution to plug in the ATV4K directly to the AV Receiver and get Dolby ATMOS but lose out on Dolby Vision, OR worst case purchase a new Receiver, which I can't do at this moment.....
As mentioned, many, many, many times in this topic... The Apple TV 4K media players do not offer 'bit-stream' audio, they puke out Dolby MAT Atmos, which the OPPO players do not support - and never ever will support.

Again... You will not get Atmos audio if you directly connect the Apple TV 4K media player to the OPPO's HDMI input. You need to directly connect the Apple TV 4K media player to a suitably supporting AVR.

Please don't ask this question again?

Reactions: galonzo and wozman

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
As Marge Simpson would say "Mmmm". :(
I wish they would license their design to someone without the physical BD section. It would make a great basis for a high end streamer box. I have not used my 203 for physical media in over a year as I rip 4K and stream it through the 203 to my TV.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The ATV4K seems to have raised the bar with higher data rates helping improve presentation quality. However, that could change at any time, or at times when demand exceeds bandwidth. So I also prefer to build my HD and 4k disc collection, but just my favorite movies.
Until someone offers lossless audio via streaming I will stick with real media for my critical viewing and listening.

Reactions: galonzo and SinGA

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jumping on here to ask the latest...

Are there any substantial rumors that Oppo will be coming back to the market with UHD Bluray players in the future?

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,918 Posts
Jumping on here to ask the latest...

Are there any substantial rumors that Oppo will be coming back to the market with UHD Bluray players in the future?
I've heard nothing like that. You?

-Bill

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've heard nothing like that. You?

-Bill
Bill,

I read it on one of these forums about a month or two back.

I don't think the rumor had any real merit but it does, however, play on my wishful thinking.

I'd really like to see them come back with their fantastic UHDBR players. I'm looking to buy my very first BR player and since I've been researching, I've only heard wonderful praise about their retired players.

Still yet, I'll keep my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Anyone able to get movie posters to display under the 'Network' Icon when navigating in 'Folder' with a home network movie collection? The OPPO is awesome for movie playback over a home network with ripped blu-ray's and UHD blu-ray's, but I can't get any artwork to display in any of the folders.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Anyone able to get movie posters to display under the 'Network' Icon when navigating in 'Folder' with a home network movie collection? The OPPO is awesome for movie playback over a home network with ripped blu-ray's and UHD blu-ray's, but I can't get any artwork to display in any of the folders.
The way I get to see cover art while browsing is to use the Oppo as a "renderer" and push movies and music to it using my phone. For the file management I use Twonky, augmented by BubbleUPnP Server to tie them together with Android BubbleUPnP. When the phone is on my wifi, I can select the Oppo as the player and Twonky as the library. This shows the embedded art on the phone's screen while browsing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The way I get to see cover art while browsing is to use the Oppo as a "renderer" and push movies and music to it using my phone. For the file management I use Twonky, augmented by BubbleUPnP Server to tie them together with Android BubbleUPnP. When the phone is on my wifi, I can select the Oppo as the player and Twonky as the library. This shows the embedded art on the phone's screen while browsing.
Fantastic thanks! I'll give that a try. Anyone else using an alternative workaround to show movie info or art on the OPPO when browsing folders in your home network on the OPPO?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
Yes I am using the JVC emitter and glasses. The JVC had always worked for 3D with the Oppo for the past 2 years. The issue I have is that when I play a 3D disk the JVC says "no video". The Oppo is sending a signal (the audio is coming through) but for some reason the JVC does not recognize a video signal and is blank. This only started happening when I upgraded the firmware on the Oppo.
I have the video output settings on the Oppo to Source Direct for "Output Resolution" and Auto for "3D" settings. I have tried all other options and it still will not work.
The JVC is also set to "auto" for 3D input.
This is why I am trying to find someone else with a JVC DLA RS500 to see what their settings are on the Oppo and whether or not it works with the latest firmware.
Start by doing a Reset Factory defaults on the player, then also Erase Persistent Storage. When that finishes, turn the player Off and back On again and check once more.
—Bob

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Fantastic thanks! I'll give that a try. Anyone else using an alternative workaround to show movie info or art on the OPPO when browsing folders in your home network on the OPPO?
See the FAQ here for more information.

And my post with an example of what to expect here.

I wouldn't recommend DLNA servers - I have always found highest quality audio and video with direct file access works best - eg with SMB and NFS servers.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
See the FAQ here for more information.

And my post with an example of what to expect here.

I wouldn't recommend DLNA servers - I have always found highest quality audio and video with direct file access works best - eg with SMB and NFS servers.
BubbleUPnP doesn't transcode files unless told to (and Twonky simply doesn't), so I get full quality - and also access to play media even away from home, as BubbleUPnP Server allows remote access over the internet with a login and password.

I can play media over the net on my phone (and also with my laptop, as the UpnP/DLNA plug in for Foobar2000 was written by BubbleUPnP's programmer). Both of these can search through the tags on your files if you don't remember the name of what you're looking for.

When I visit a friend who uses UPnP / DLNA, I can put my phone on the friend's wifi and Android BubbleUPnP can link in my media library during the visit.

Most of this software is free, except for $30 to buy Twonky and $5 to buy Android BubbleUPnP (at the Google Play store).

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
I wish they would license their design to someone without the physical BD section. It would make a great basis for a high end streamer box. I have not used my 203 for physical media in over a year as I rip 4K and stream it through the 203 to my TV.

While not licensed from OPPO, there is such a device in existence. Due to the suspect provenance, it cannot be discussed here, so you need to head over to Google and search for “M9702 player”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got everything set up with BubbleUPnP server on my PC and Android BubbleUPnP and Twonky on my phone, but I can't see any artwork in the folders on Twonky, just the video files. I found my home network video server OK and can access and play the files via Twonky, but the screenshots and posters etc aren't showing up in the Twonky folders. PLEX on the Shield was great, but I had issues with PLEX not working concurrently with VPN services.

The setup I'm using now is to just access and play video files in my Home Network video folders through the OPPO 'Network' tab. I have had zero issues with playback quality, even in HDR10. If I need to see the artwork to remind what movie title I'm looking at, I just use a File explorer app on my phone to navigate the video folders on my PC. The photos in the video folders show up that way, and I can delete exceptionally bad movies on my PC from my phone too.

I'm really missing the PLEX interface though.

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
Need help. I cannot "get to" the shared drives/folder/files on my Win7/Win10 PC's located on the home LAN network with my 103/203 Oppo machines. I've never been able to see the "Computer name" items in the list shown by pushing the Network button on the home screen of the 203. I used to see the "Computer name" items on my 103, although they would inevitably disappear eventually. I was never clear on what made them either appear or disappear on the 103, but usually I could get them to reappear by pulling the power plug and presumably letting things go through a power/network reset when the plug was restored. This often (but not always) worked in the past, but it certainly no longer works currently. And it's never worked for the 203.

In the past (when this worked) selecting the simple Computer name from the Network list essentially made the Oppo player the same as Windows Explorer, able to select media type (i.e. pictures, music, or videos) on drives on the selected PC, and then drill down further through folders/files on the selected drive. Exactly like Windows Explorer, sub-setted for the media type being investigated. So when you were in Music the only files which appeared where music files, when you were in Pictures only image files appeared, and when you were in Videos only video media file formats appeared. And when you selected that file, the proper player would launch on the Oppo machine for that file. Just like having File Explorer in the Oppo with the ability to browse the drives/folders/files of the selected network PC.

In the past, with the 103 the very first time I attempted a connection to a named PC on my LAN I was offered the expected userid/password dialog to provide connection credentials. These were then retained and I was never bothered again. I've not see that dialog in years now on the 103, and of course never on the 203, since I have lost the display of computer names in Network.

All drives on all of my PC's are "shared" (so that all folders/files on all drives are similarly shared) and permitted for all access. This is primarily so that I can get to all drives/folders/files on any PC from any PC. Not really relevant for READ-only access required by the Oppo players, but it is a fact.

I use BitDefender as my anti-virus / firewall, and have tried adding a firewall exception on the PC's to [theoretically] allow any application to access the PC's. This really isn't very secure, but it was just an experiment and had no effect. The 103/203 still never showed the PC Computer names in their Network list.

Each PC DOES have a named "Media player" object shown in the Network list. And in fact I CAN play media files FROM the PC TO the 103/203 via Windows Media Player on the PC, selecting "Play to..." and choosing the 103/203 as the output device. As long as the 103/203 is currently in its Network button interface, the device can be taken over by Windows Media Player on the PC when using the "Play to..." functionality. And this works fine.

What happened to File Explorer on the Oppo from yesteryear? Is it gone? Or do I need to facilitate something on the PC in order to further make it visible to the Oppo Network object? All of the expected "network visibility", "file and print sharing", "NETBIOS", etc., options and services are checked and active. "Function discovery resource publication" is active. The PC's are perfectly and fully usable and visible to themselves on the LAN. And they can see the 103/203 and use them as "Play to..." for Windows Media Player. It's just that the PC's are seemingly not visible to the 103/203 Network button, if this Windows Explorer functionality is still supposed to be present and usable today.

37681 - 37700 of 38991 Posts