AVS Forum banner

38041 - 38060 of 38991 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have a 48Gbps Ultra 8K HDMI Cable coming today. It will be my 4th HDMI cable switch, to try and completely eliminate the cable as the issue.
Cable works great. Not directional like my MonoPrice it replaced. But the issue persists.
So it’s definitely not the player and not the cable. The fault is 100% in the Yamaha, but others with the same combination of products aren’t experiencing the issue, and come to think of it, I didn’t experience the issue until about six months ago. So it could be some sort of hardware failure, not something firmware can fix.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,678 Posts
Cable works great. Not directional like my MonoPrice it replaced. But the issue persists.
So it’s definitely not the player and not the cable. The fault is 100% in the Yamaha, but others with the same combination of products aren’t experiencing the issue, and come to think of it, I didn’t experience the issue until about six months ago. So it could be some sort of hardware failure, not something firmware can fix.
What are those others using for cables? Just because a different cable didn't fix the problem doesn't completely rule out the cable as the source of the problem... What exactly are you using for a cable (brand, model, length - a link to the exact product you're using would be super handy...)?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't usually follow this thread, so with that in mind, if the issue you are having is audio glitches (dropouts) with certain (Atmos/)TrueHD and/or TrueHD only blu-ray or 4K disc titles, while the 203 has improved the situation over some of its Oppo predecessors, some titles will still have occasional audio dropouts. With my Denon the dropouts sound like brief instances of silence. Just the nature of the chip used in the Oppos. To check if this is happening, simply use LPCM as audio output (instead of streaming) and listen again. If the dropouts are gone (of course so will be Atmos…), then that is the proof that it's the Oppo. It is rare that this happens, but it does once in a while with certain discs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just had my OPPO203 serviced by OPPO customer service. Very pleasant experience, cost effective and extremely professional people. I truly miss having new products from OPPO.
I agree, OPPO service is fantastic! My 203 died on me last Saturday (wouldn't load discs). After several emails attempting to diagnose the problem, they issued me an RMA #, and on Monday I shipped the player to their service facility. Wednesday morning (yesterday) I received an email advising that they had received the unit. On Wednesday afternoon I received another email advising that they had diagnosed the problem as a bad optical unit and had completed the repair. Another email followed advising that they had already shipped the unit back to me. This morning (Thursday) FedEx delivered the repaired unit. To top it off, even though I was 2 months past the warranty period, they didn't charge me for the repair!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
What are those others using for cables? Just because a different cable didn't fix the problem doesn't completely rule out the cable as the source of the problem... What exactly are you using for a cable (brand, model, length - a link to the exact product you're using would be super handy...)?
Here's what I've used:

1. Monoprice Ultra Slim Series Active High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected] HDR 18Gbps 36AWG YUV 4:4:4, 6ft, Black
LINK: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=10240&cs_id=3010101&p_id=13590&seq=1&format=2

2. AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return
LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1ZYYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. BlueRigger 4K HDMI Cable
LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00316263Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Cable Matters 3-Pack 48Gbps Ultra 8K HDMI Cable with 8K 120Hz and HDR Support
LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NTWGYN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I don't usually follow this thread, so with that in mind, if the issue you are having is audio glitches (dropouts) with certain (Atmos/)TrueHD and/or TrueHD only blu-ray or 4K disc titles, while the 203 has improved the situation over some of its Oppo predecessors, some titles will still have occasional audio dropouts. With my Denon the dropouts sound like brief instances of silence. Just the nature of the chip used in the Oppos. To check if this is happening, simply use LPCM as audio output (instead of streaming) and listen again. If the dropouts are gone (of course so will be Atmos…), then that is the proof that it's the Oppo. It is rare that this happens, but it does once in a while with certain discs.
The issue I'm having isn't a dropout.

One of three issues will occur: 1. I will get no sound from ATMOS (ever, I can keep the movie running for an hour). In which case I will select a different codec (e.g. DTS) and sound will instantly come on. Switching back to ATMOS will sometimes work, if not open the disc drawer and try it again.

2. A large POP will emit from my speakers. This renders the Yamaha useless until it is shut down for a couple of minutes and brought back up.

3. If ATMOS is working, about 1/2 the time, if I pause, use slow motion or skip (anything that mutes the sound), one of the first two options will occur.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
The issue I'm having isn't a dropout.

One of three issues will occur: 1. I will get no sound from ATMOS (ever, I can keep the movie running for an hour). In which case I will select a different codec (e.g. DTS) and sound will instantly come on. Switching back to ATMOS will sometimes work, if not open the disc drawer and try it again.

2. A large POP will emit from my speakers. This renders the Yamaha useless until it is shut down for a couple of minutes and brought back up.

3. If ATMOS is working, about 1/2 the time, if I pause, use slow motion or skip (anything that mutes the sound), one of the first two options will occur.
In #2 will selecting a different CODEC and then going back not get you sound?

I always get the POP but I can always get the sound back without a shut down or wait. I just do what you say in #1 I usually just switch CODEC and it works again.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I agree, OPPO service is fantastic! My 203 died on me last Saturday (wouldn't load discs). After several emails attempting to diagnose the problem, they issued me an RMA #, and on Monday I shipped the player to their service facility. Wednesday morning (yesterday) I received an email advising that they had received the unit. On Wednesday afternoon I received another email advising that they had diagnosed the problem as a bad optical unit and had completed the repair. Another email followed advising that they had already shipped the unit back to me. This morning (Thursday) FedEx delivered the repaired unit. To top it off, even though I was 2 months past the warranty period, they didn't charge me for the repair!
Are they still at 162 Constitution Dr. Menlo Park, CA?

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,678 Posts
Here's what I've used:

1. Monoprice Ultra Slim Series Active High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected] HDR 18Gbps 36AWG YUV 4:4:4, 6ft, Black
LINK: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=10240&cs_id=3010101&p_id=13590&seq=1&format=2

2. AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return
LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1ZYYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. BlueRigger 4K HDMI Cable
LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00316263Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Cable Matters 3-Pack 48Gbps Ultra 8K HDMI Cable with 8K 120Hz and HDR Support
LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NTWGYN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Try something with the premium certified logo, such as this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187. Price paid for other cables is pretty much completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

I always get the POP but I can always get the sound back without a shut down or wait. I just do what you say in #1 I usually just switch CODEC and it works again.
Honestly I can’t remember. Usually so worried after hearing the pop and then sound being gone that I simply shut down the Yamaha. I’ve gotten so accustomed to muting the volume that the issue hasn’t happened in a week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
IF this has already been answred, I apologize in advance. I have the Oppo 203 and this morning I suddently stopped getting sound. I have it hooked up a Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar. I directly plugged it into my TV (Sony X900E) and I get sound. Has anybody encountered this sort of issue before?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

Carbo, I just posted this in the Yamaha forum, and I’m really curious if unplugging your HDMI cable from your Yamaha to your display solves your problem as well.
————————————————————-
Ok, back to my issue with no Atmos sound . I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I put in DSOTM SACD and got no sound. To check settings I turned on the projector and sound instantly turned on. After over an hour of testing I figured out that if the projector is off (standby or unplugged) I still won’t get sound UNLESS the HDMI cable is removed from the projector.

So I put in some of the movies with Atmos. Instead of resetting the audio, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the projector and THE SOUND CAME ON!

So, while I was messing around with the HDMI cable from my OPPO to the Yamaha the issue may be the HDMI cable from my Yamaha to the JVC projector.

If anyone knows of a certified 45’ HDMI cable let me know. I’m currently using a Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 53ft, Csilu Fiber HDMI Cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757NJ63B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I'm quite confused by your posts @SimpleTheater...

What are the makes and model numbers of your A/V gear?

Reactions: galonzo

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
@SimpleTheater

I currently have it disconnected. I have already tried new HDMI cables. And already had 2 running to the JVC. One as a backup.

I have stopped trying. I don't believe it is anything but the Yamaha that is the issue. Without the Yamaha everything is working perfect for me again. Something either firmware or hardware broke on my unit. The only good thing is that it works fine with every source except Disc bases Atmos, so I plan on moving it to a different room in the next week or two.

It will be interesting to see if the change of location has any effect.(not that I think it will)

Reactions: SimpleTheater

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder if someone might be able to answer this question for me.
I have my nvidia shield connected to the HDMI Input on the Oppo 203 and the hdmi audio out from the Oppo to my Anthem 510 AVR.
This works fine. But I noticed when I want to stream 4K HDR content from the Shield, my JVC 790 projector won't switch to HDR with the BT2020 color mode for some reason.
I do have the Shield to auto switch.

However if I change the Oppo to the "HDMI In Bypass" mode then the JVC switches over correctly but now the AVR doesn't get any signal and hence no sound.
Shouldn't the hdmi audio out from the Oppo work when using the "HDMI In Bypass"?
I couldn't find any info on that.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I wonder if someone might be able to answer this question for me.
I have my nvidia shield connected to the HDMI Input on the Oppo 203 and the hdmi audio out from the Oppo to my Anthem 510 AVR.
This works fine. But I noticed when I want to stream 4K HDR content from the Shield, my JVC 790 projector won't switch to HDR with the BT2020 color mode for some reason.
I do have the Shield to auto switch.

However if I change the Oppo to the "HDMI In Bypass" mode then the JVC switches over correctly but now the AVR doesn't get any signal and hence no sound.
Shouldn't the hdmi audio out from the Oppo work when using the "HDMI In Bypass"?
I couldn't find any info on that.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay
Why not plug the shield directly into the receiver?

38041 - 38060 of 38991 Posts