AVS Forum banner

38621 - 38640 of 38986 Posts

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Tonight I watched the new Midway Movie in 4K Ultra on my 78KS9800.. I had issues throughout.... The Top letterbox bar was flashing off and on and brief sound pauses as well.. I searched on the net and found reports of Midaway 4k Ultra being the 1st 4k Ultra movie to use some sort of new BD-J copy protection.. It drove my 78KS9800 crazy with the top letterbox bar randomly flashing on and off.. This new BD-J copy protection is either tripping up my Oppo 203 Player or my TV or Both.. I was thinking my Oppo 203 does not support this new copy protection and perceives the movie as a copy?? There seems to be no way to stop it.. This is only on the Midway 4K Ultra disc as its the 1st and only disc with this new BD-J copy protection.. If more movies come out like this i'm going to just play the blu ray version.. Which defeats the purpose of enjoying a 4k movie. 😞

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21505
The Screenpass protection you are referring to only impacts ripped discs and illegal copies. Its also nothing new, but is not typical on UHD titles. It has no impact when playing the original disc.

·
Registered
485 Posts
No issues with Midway 4K on my Oppo 203 either.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is it true that the HDR OFF (BT2020), HDR OFF (BT709) & Strip Metadata settings resolve less than the REC709 color gamut regarding Red & Green saturation points, did it at one point before the 4 HDR-SDR Tone Mapping conversion modes at least resolve the full REC709 color gamut with Red & Green fully saturated with the Strip Metadata only function in early firmware?

It's strange OPPO's engineers were pretty oblivious to implement worse than the Rec. 709 color gamut in the end, is it more towards SD's Rec. 601 color gamut?
Do owners use this feature anymore & is it as terrible as it's made out to be regarding severe color saturation less than REC709 colors? Wandering if @Bob Pariseau or @gsr could offer any insight?

I read that the HDR-SDR conversion to SDR BT2020 is severely under saturated with the Red & Green color points being under the Rec. 709 color gamut, is it more towards SD Rec. 601 for Red & Green?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Tonight I watched the new Midway Movie in 4K Ultra on my 78KS9800.. I had issues throughout.... The Top letterbox bar was flashing off and on and brief sound pauses as well.. I searched on the net and found reports of Midaway 4k Ultra being the 1st 4k Ultra movie to use some sort of new BD-J copy protection.. It drove my 78KS9800 crazy with the top letterbox bar randomly flashing on and off.. This new BD-J copy protection is either tripping up my Oppo 203 Player or my TV or Both.. I was thinking my Oppo 203 does not support this new copy protection and perceives the movie as a copy?? There seems to be no way to stop it.. This is only on the Midway 4K Ultra disc as its the 1st and only disc with this new BD-J copy protection.. If more movies come out like this i'm going to just play the blu ray version.. Which defeats the purpose of enjoying a 4k movie. 😞

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21505
My setup is Oppo 203 to Yamaha RX-A3060 to JVC RS400

I own the Midway Ultra 4K release and have watched it twice without any issues. Before blaming a piece of equipment you may want to exchange the disc first.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Question for fellow Oppo 203 owners. Does the 203 have HDR tone mapping? If so is there anything I need to turn on? Thank you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
@KC-Technerd

Hi

I was asking you about video settings not long ago, I tried Custom and noticed very slight jaggies in lettering vs source direct which smoothed things out. I currently use source direct because of this, but not watched enough 1080p content to decide if that is the only main difference.
I know you did some testing, and just wondered if you come to a conclusion on what you prefer out of source direct or custom so the player upscales 720p/1080p instead?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I was asking you about video settings not long ago, I tried Custom and noticed very slight jaggies in lettering vs source direct which smoothed things out. I currently use source direct because of this, but not watched enough 1080p content to decide if that is the only main difference.
I know you did some testing, and just wondered if you come to a conclusion on what you prefer out of source direct or custom so the player upscales 720p/1080p instead?
From looking at other posts you've made, I'm assuming you're talking about with an LG GX. I have an LG C9 which may be somewhat similar, but some to all of what I'm saying here may differ from the GX. No easy answer to this. You have to decide which you think produces the best results.

All the upscaling to 4k is happening in the UDP-203 using Auto or Custom UHD Auto. I do get the slight jaggies on 720/1080 lettering (and lines in test patterns that are between vertical and horizontal). However I've only noticed this on computer and video generated lettering. I'm not seeing it if the lettering is from a film source. Oppo appears to be using something other than simple nearest neighbor to perform the upscaling (bicubic perhaps?). I can tell this because when presenting a 1080p alternating pixel pattern, I'm not getting 2x2 pixel blocks of black alternating with 2x2 pixel blocks of white. Instead I get a bright white pixel, two gray pixels, a black pixel, two gray, bright white, etc. Theoretically at least, bicubic (or whatever the Oppo is doing) should be superior. The Oppo also seems to pass full bandwidth chroma when upscaling.

With Source Direct my C9 is doing the upscaling. With the C9's Sharpness set to 0, it's obvious that the C9 is performing simple nearest neighbor upscaling. That means each individual 1080 pixel becomes a square 2x2 block of 4k pixels, and each individual 720 pixel becomes a square 3x3 block of 4k pixels. (This is really the "truest" form of upscaling in my opinion.) This too will produce the slight jaggies on 720/1080 lettering. However, as the C9's Sharpness is increased to 10, anti-aliasing is introduced that hides the jaggies. High frequency chroma seems to be muted when the C9 is doing the upscaling (tested on an earlier C9 software than what's current).

For now I'm going with the Oppo doing the upscaling, and living with the occasional jaggy edge to get the full chroma bandwidth. I'm not really sure if that is better or worse than having the C9 do the scaling. I do like the anti-aliasing that the C9 does, but it comes with tradeoffs.

The Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark, 2nd Edition is the best tool I know of for evaluating the differences. However some of the Mehanik HDR10 calibration and test patterns were more useful for evaluating the anti-aliasing on the C9. I didn't mention 480 because it doesn't integer scale (not directly divisible by, not to mention not having square pixels) to 4k, so it gets a lot more complicated. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Service question. I’ve had my 203 since it was released and have experienced frequent glitches with certain 4K discs. In the past several months it has frozen on Knives Out, Rambo Last Blood, Hunter Killer, Transformers The Last Knight. I always wash the discs thoroughly before playing them. If I sent my player in for service, would they be able to assess and potentially fix this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Service question. I’ve had my 203 since it was released and have experienced frequent glitches with certain 4K discs. In the past several months it has frozen on Knives Out, Rambo Last Blood, Hunter Killer, Transformers The Last Knight. I always wash the discs thoroughly before playing them. If I sent my player in for service, would they be able to assess and potentially fix this issue?
At the very least they will clean and service it. Contact them via the website and ask.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@mskreis, I always play disks as they come, and very rarely need to give them a "wash." As a data point, my 203 played Knives Out from beginning to end flawlessly, and while I do own the other titles you mentioned, I haven't gotten around to watching them yet. HTH

·
Registered
94 Posts

My 203 plays most discs flawlessly, but every once in a while it will stutter and/or freeze at some random spot, even on a disc that had no problem before. If I can manage to reverse a few seconds or minutes and replay the problem section, it will often repeat in the same spot. In most cases, simply ejecting the disc and playing it again fixes the problem. If that doesn't work, then cleaning the disc will usually clear it up. Lately I have started erasing the persistent storage after every few discs. So far it hasn't frozen on me since I started doing that, but it's too early to say for sure that it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Service question. I’ve had my 203 since it was released and have experienced frequent glitches with certain 4K discs. In the past several months it has frozen on Knives Out, Rambo Last Blood, Hunter Killer, Transformers The Last Knight. I always wash the discs thoroughly before playing them. If I sent my player in for service, would they be able to assess and potentially fix this issue? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not likely unless it behaved like that on every 4K that you tried to play. It is not usual to have a 4K disc not play on the 203, but be playable on a different brand 4K disc player.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey guys,

Ive been having issues with my Oppo 203 lately. Several blurays have been sending audio to only the front right channel speaker (only upon first playing) for several minutes before it finally fixes itself and sends audio signal normally. Its happened with the Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender Bluray set and the Dynasties BBC Bluray. Ive ruled out that it's the bluray discs fault because it will happen again if I pause the playback and then hit play.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Hey guys,

Ive been having issues with my Oppo 203 lately. Several blurays have been sending audio to only the front right channel speaker (only upon first playing) for several minutes before it finally fixes itself and sends audio signal normally. Its happened with the Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender Bluray set and the Dynasties BBC Bluray. Ive ruled out that it's the bluray discs fault because it will happen again if I pause the playback and then hit play.

I've experience NO sound. The two things I would try is a different HDMI cable, and changing the output to Bitstream (or if set to Bitstream to PCM). Also, does your AVR tell you what it is receiving? For example my Yamaha, if receiving stereo will only light up the left and right channel, the other 11 channels will be blank. So if you're only getting audio to the right speaker, is the left lit up?

I'm betting on a bad connection in HDMI and hopefully its the cable. Also, try a different HDMI input on your AVR to make sure its not your AVR's HDMI input that is causing the issue.

Good luck.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,678 Posts
Hey guys,

I don't recall any other reports of that. Which audio output are you using on the player? If HDMI, I would suspect your AVR rather than the Oppo.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't recall any other reports of that. Which audio output are you using on the player? If HDMI, I would suspect your AVR rather than the Oppo.
If the AVR is a 2016/2017 Marantz or Denon they have been known to have speaker binding post issues.

·
Registered
293 Posts
From looking at other posts you've made, I'm assuming you're talking about with an LG GX. I have an LG C9 which may be somewhat similar, but some to all of what I'm saying here may differ from the GX. No easy answer to this. You have to decide which you think produces the best results.

All the upscaling to 4k is happening in the UDP-203 using Auto or Custom UHD Auto. I do get the slight jaggies on 720/1080 lettering (and lines in test patterns that are between vertical and horizontal). However I've only noticed this on computer and video generated lettering. I'm not seeing it if the lettering is from a film source. Oppo appears to be using something other than simple nearest neighbor to perform the upscaling (bicubic perhaps?). I can tell this because when presenting a 1080p alternating pixel pattern, I'm not getting 2x2 pixel blocks of black alternating with 2x2 pixel blocks of white. Instead I get a bright white pixel, two gray pixels, a black pixel, two gray, bright white, etc. Theoretically at least, bicubic (or whatever the Oppo is doing) should be superior. The Oppo also seems to pass full bandwidth chroma when upscaling.

With Source Direct my C9 is doing the upscaling. With the C9's Sharpness set to 0, it's obvious that the C9 is performing simple nearest neighbor upscaling. That means each individual 1080 pixel becomes a square 2x2 block of 4k pixels, and each individual 720 pixel becomes a square 3x3 block of 4k pixels. (This is really the "truest" form of upscaling in my opinion.) This too will produce the slight jaggies on 720/1080 lettering. However, as the C9's Sharpness is increased to 10, anti-aliasing is introduced that hides the jaggies. High frequency chroma seems to be muted when the C9 is doing the upscaling (tested on an earlier C9 software than what's current).

For now I'm going with the Oppo doing the upscaling, and living with the occasional jaggy edge to get the full chroma bandwidth. I'm not really sure if that is better or worse than having the C9 do the scaling. I do like the anti-aliasing that the C9 does, but it comes with tradeoffs.

The Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark, 2nd Edition is the best tool I know of for evaluating the differences. However some of the Mehanik HDR10 calibration and test patterns were more useful for evaluating the anti-aliasing on the C9. I didn't mention 480 because it doesn't integer scale (not directly divisible by, not to mention not having square pixels) to 4k, so it gets a lot more complicated. I hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the detailed information, when you say about computer/video generated lettering exhibiting jaggies, is that things like subtitles, would this include movie credits or are they part of the movie content?

As for you mentioning getting the full chroma bandwidth, I'm a little lost here, is that to do with the 4:2:2/4:4:4 chroma stuff, if so from what I understand it gives better colour if 203 is set to custom/auto so that its doing the upscaling.

I would need to check again but I think I did notice slightly muted/flat colour when set to source direct, I think I will change back to custom and let the 203 do the upscaling.

Thanks again

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've experience NO sound. The two things I would try is a different HDMI cable, and changing the output to Bitstream (or if set to Bitstream to PCM). Also, does your AVR tell you what it is receiving? For example my Yamaha, if receiving stereo will only light up the left and right channel, the other 11 channels will be blank. So if you're only getting audio to the right speaker, is the left lit up?

I'm betting on a bad connection in HDMI and hopefully its the cable. Also, try a different HDMI input on your AVR to make sure its not your AVR's HDMI input that is causing the issue.

Good luck.
Hey guys!

I checked the audio output settings and the hdmi audio was set to Auto - so I switched it to Bitstream. I thought for sure I already had it on Bitstream but maybe one of the Oppo updates switched it back? After switching to Bitstream I still had the issue... The AVR does report what its receiving, in this case DTS Stereo (L&R) for the Avatar bluray set. My AVR is very old, 2008 I think? Im also using newer Mediabridge Flex Series HDMI Cables, ill try to swap it out to see if thats the cause as well. Anyone have a recommendation for really good hdmi cables thats 2.1 ready in case I have to buy new ones? :D

38621 - 38640 of 38986 Posts