AVS Forum banner

38661 - 38680 of 39310 Posts

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Personally I don't see the point of any media playback device including a 'sharpness' feature, as all it ever appears to do is increase the brightness at one side of a pixel (horizontally, vertically or both). In my opinion it's a pointless, unnecessary feature that only creates confusion!
I agree, but the point I was trying to make is sharpness should not affect brightness when an external device Upscales to 4K. Raising sharpness should not cause blacks to be crushed. When the tv does the upscaling, sharpness has no effect on brightness.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
You can switch between analogue and digital inputs easily on your Marantz AV using the Marantz AVR app!
Reading your post I got curious about using the analogue outputs on my oppo 203. I use HDMI for surround sound formats and analogue for stereo, which sound noticeably better than stereo through HDMI. If oppo 203 has a better DAC than my Marantz SR6011, I guess It’ll be the same with surround, at least for multichannel SACDs. I’ll have to find out! ;)
I once had my Oppo 203 connected to my Marantz AVR using HDMI and 2.1 Analog for Music Playback. Both the Marantz S7010 use the same DAC. I also have a Harmony Remote with two set ups. One was for Blu Ray Playback which was the HDMI connection, and I had a set up called "Oppo 2.1" which switched the Input of my AVR to Analog for Music Playback. Some input assignment adjustments within the AVR's Menu and that was it. Once everything was configured, it was a seemless process. I used the 203's Audio processing menu to adjust speaker and sub placement, along with the adjustments in the AVR's menu as well.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I once had my Oppo 203 connected to my Marantz AVR using HDMI and 2.1 Analog for Music Playback. Both the Marantz S7010 use the same DAC. I also have a Harmony Remote with two set ups. One was for Blu Ray Playback which was the HDMI connection, and I had a set up called "Oppo 2.1" which switched the Input of my AVR to Analog for Music Playback. Some input assignment adjustments within the AVR's Menu and that was it. Once everything was configured, it was a seemless process. I used the 203's Audio processing menu to adjust speaker and sub placement, along with the adjustments in the AVR's menu as well.

Sounds great. With my sr8002 it was just a push of a button 7.1.analog. But not with my sr7012.. doesnt jave this function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Sounds great. With my sr8002 it was just a push of a button 7.1.analog. But not with my sr7012.. doesnt jave this function

I had to assign an Input for use with the Oppo, then in the Submenu of the "Input Select" menu, I chose "Analog 7.1". When I used my Harmony to switch to the Oppo 2.1 setup, I would hear a "click" in my AVR which meant that it switched from Digital to Analog.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I agree, but the point I was trying to make is sharpness should not affect brightness...
This is exactly how sharpness works. It increases brightness to certain pixels to create a fake edge!

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
This is exactly how sharpness works. It increases brightness to certain pixels to create a fake edge!
Thats not how its working though. With a sharpness of 0 and the device doing the upscaling i set my brightness to 51. When I set sharpness to 20, brightness has to be raised to 52. The higher the sharpness the greater the black crush. Now when i have my tv upscale, a sharpness of 0 all the way to 50, requires no change in brightness. So what you are describing is just the opposite of what is happening on my E6 when the device upscales.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the app so ill take a look to see if i find the input.. thx

Hey, once you selected the Oppo input in your Marantz, just go to the upper right corner, tap on the menu and a configuration menu will slide from the right, tap on “Inputs“, tap on “Input selection“, there you have next options: Automatic, HDMI, Analogue, 7.1CH IN. You can tap on the option you want and will change immediately to the selected input, you will be able to compare!

I have the Spanish version of the app, so the names on menues could change. 😉

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Hey, once you selected the Oppo input in your Marantz, just go to the upper right corner, tap on the menu and a configuration menu will slide from the right, tap on “Inputs“, tap on “Input selection“, there you have next options: Automatic, HDMI, Analogue, 7.1CH IN. You can tap on the option you want and will change immediately to the selected input, you will be able to compare!

I have the Spanish version of the app, so the names on menues could change.

Gracias!! Is that on the oppo remote or marantz.. not home right now reason im asking

·
Read the FAQ!
35,479 Posts
I recently purchased a used 203. I really like the player but I have noticed a couple of things that seem a little unusual. Neither of these things are an issue really, just a bit out of the norm from my previous experience. The 203 replaced an Oppo 105 so I am intimately familiar with the menu structure and set up procedure for Oppo players. Also have a friend with a 83SE which I performed the set up for. I connected the 203 with the same Wireworld HDMI cable into the same HDMI input on my Arcam AVR 600. No additional adjustments should have been necessary for my AVR. Since this is an identical digital connection all the level and output settings on my AVR should have provided identical or at least very similar output levels. This was not the case however. On all discs the subwoofer level is much higher with the 203. I didn't measure how much higher, but I would say at least 10db. Not only that, the overall output level of the 203 is much higher than my 105 at the same volume setting. Is this normal for the 203? I have checked, re-checked and checked again all of the settings on the 203, but as I said this is a digital connection and all the processing is being done in the Arcam AVR. I even reconnected my 105 and yep all the levels are much lower. If this is normal for the 203, why? Was this a conscious choice by Oppo's design team, or is it due to some specific components within the player? Like I said not really a big deal, I just went into the AVR's set up and lowered the sub level and I guess theoretically the higher overall output level could possibly increase the available dynamic range, but every other disc player I have ever owned without exception has required more volume to attain the same db level as my broadcast signal. The 203 is the opposite of this, no pun intended.
No this is not normal.

The HDMI Audio output levels of the 203 and the 105 should be identical. Make sure you are not comparing against the ANALOG audio output of the 105.

Check that you have up to date firmware in the 203. If you purchased it used, its firmware may be quite old.

Check your audio levels using a test track from a calibration disc. For example, the 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM Channel ID tracks from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray.
--Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently purchased a used 203. I really like the player but I have noticed a couple of things that seem a little unusual. Neither of these things are an issue really, just a bit out of the norm from my previous experience. The 203 replaced an Oppo 105 so I am intimately familiar with the menu structure and set up procedure for Oppo players. Also have a friend with a 83SE which I performed the set up for. I connected the 203 with the same Wireworld HDMI cable into the same HDMI input on my Arcam AVR 600. No additional adjustments should have been necessary for my AVR. Since this is an identical digital connection all the level and output settings on my AVR should have provided identical or at least very similar output levels. This was not the case however. On all discs the subwoofer level is much higher with the 203. I didn't measure how much higher, but I would say at least 10db. Not only that, the overall output level of the 203 is much higher than my 105 at the same volume setting. Is this normal for the 203? I have checked, re-checked and checked again all of the settings on the 203, but as I said this is a digital connection and all the processing is being done in the Arcam AVR. I even reconnected my 105 and yep all the levels are much lower. If this is normal for the 203, why? Was this a conscious choice by Oppo's design team, or is it due to some specific components within the player? Like I said not really a big deal, I just went into the AVR's set up and lowered the sub level and I guess theoretically the higher overall output level could possibly increase the available dynamic range, but every other disc player I have ever owned without exception has required more volume to attain the same db level as my broadcast signal. The 203 is the opposite of this, no pun intended.
No this is not normal.

The HDMI Audio output levels of the 203 and the 105 should be identical. Make sure you are not comparing against the ANALOG audio output of the 105.

Check that you have up to date firmware in the 203. If you purchased it used, its firmware may be quite old.

Check your audio levels using a test track from a calibration disc. For example, the 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM Channel ID tracks from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray.
--Bob
Using the same (Wireworld Silver Starlight 7)HDMI cord into the same HDMI input. Don't currently have the multi-channel analogue outputs from the 105 connected to my AVR. The only real difference is that every disc that I have played in the 203 has been 4K UHD Blurays, but I don't see where that would make any difference. Still, I will switch to standard Bluray and test with the identical disc.

The firmware in the 203 is up to date. First thing I did when I received the player was to update the firmware.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Fwiw as a followup i played around with different sacd’s going between
Auto(hdmi) and analog(7.1) and really
Couldnt tell the difference .. maybe its my ears.. maybe on one sacd which was very slight..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Using the same (Wireworld Silver Starlight 7)HDMI cord into the same HDMI input. Don't currently have the multi-channel analogue outputs from the 105 connected to my AVR. The only real difference is that every disc that I have played in the 203 has been 4K UHD Blurays, but I don't see where that would make any difference. Still, I will switch to standard Bluray and test with the identical disc.

The firmware in the 203 is up to date. First thing I did when I received the player was to update the firmware.
Are you saying the differences you are hearing then are not from the same discs, but blu ray on the 105 and 4K on the 203? Audio mixes/levels for the same movies can be very different on blu ray vs UHD. Be interesting to hear how a direct comparison using the same disc works out for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Are you saying the differences you are hearing then are not from the same discs, but blu ray on the 105 and 4K on the 203? Audio mixes/levels for the same movies can be very different on blu ray vs UHD. Be interesting to hear how a direct comparison using the same disc works out for you.
Yes, as the 105 doesn't play 4K UHD discs obviously. I will try the same Bluray in both players. I understand that 4K UHD discs could potentially have different mixes/levels than their standard Bluray counterpart, but that much and every title? It is this that had me pointing my finger at the 203.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,479 Posts

Tracks on UHD discs are not typically the same as tracks on the matching regular Blu-ray. Sometimes they are quite a bit better. Other times, well....

Quite often, the UHD tracks are more “dynamic” — goosed up because they think that’s what people want.

Depending on the title, the difference can be painful. This is the Louder Is Better trope from the School of Shoddy.
—Bob

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Recently my Oppo-203 has been automatically applying Dolby Vision output and triggering my Sony XBR-65Z9D LCD TV to engage the DV picture setting regardless of the native signal. It doesn't matter what media I play on the Oppo, whether Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, 3D BRD :eek:, DVD, or nothing at all; as soon as I power on the Oppo, the TV switches to DV picture mode.

All of my external inputs to the TV are connected through my Denon AVR-X8500H, and this phenomenon has only occurred to date with the Oppo BDP (not with the TiVo Roamio DVR, Nvidia Shield TV, or Roku Ultra, for example).

I tried using a variety of different video and HDR settings on the Oppo to no avail. I finally resolved the issue by clearing persistent storage and then rebooting the Oppo. Since then the glitch does not reappear on any source material played on the Oppo.

I am now wondering whether this is some type of one-off anomaly, whether there was some particular event that may have caused it and that I should be aware of, or whether this is an indication of a fault in the player that may or may not be serviceable.

I would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Persistent storage keeps track of the last 5 or 6 discs you've played so it can do things like resume a disc where you left off. I suspect that some info about a previously played DV disc got 'stuck' in your persistent storage. As a result, every time you started the player, it thought you had loaded a DV disc and sent that info to your set. Clearing persistent storage would have cleared this data out. Storage can do weird things occasionally.

Reactions: chi_guy50

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Persistent storage keeps track of the last 5 or 6 discs you've played so it can do things like resume a disc where you left off. I suspect that some info about a previously played DV disc got 'stuck' in your persistent storage. As a result, every time you started the player, it thought you had loaded a DV disc and sent that info to your set. Clearing persistent storage would have cleared this data out. Storage can do weird things occasionally.

Yeah, that seems the most likely explanation, and my troubleshooting would appear to confirm it. I just thought I'd surface the issue here to see whether anyone had any further insight.

Reactions: RagtopFE
38661 - 38680 of 39310 Posts