AVS Forum banner

38721 - 38740 of 38988 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, Subtitle shift is great, plus colour and other options, see pics.

MKV playback over Network is a strong point, via NFS or SMB. Atmos, DTS-X etc with only a minor concern in playing these formats back to back (very minor).

Playback of both UHD and BR Full (menu) Backups are possible too over the network. DLNA is supported, but functionality is varied dependant on software etc, and so I don’t use it.
Thanks for the reply, I think the player discontinued. Do you know the best place to find in a good price ?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, Subtitle shift is great, plus colour and other options, see pics.

MKV playback over Network is a strong point, via NFS or SMB. Atmos, DTS-X etc with only a minor concern in playing these formats back to back (very minor).

Playback of both UHD and BR Full (menu) Backups are possible too over the network. DLNA is supported, but functionality is varied dependant on software etc, and so I don’t use it.
Does support also sub shift over the network ? (Nas)?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The reason Blu-ray triumphed over HD DVD was because - in addition to Blu-ray's being able to store much more on a disk by using shorter-wavelength Blue lasers that used skinnier tracks - Sony, having met with disaster in two format wars (Betamax vs. VHS and SACD vs. DVD-Audio), decided to take no chances and not only licensed it to other player manufacturers but also included Blu-ray playback in its popular PlayStation game consoles, making Blu-ray playback free for those who had bought those game consoles - the exact opposite of its "high-priced spread" marketing approach for SACD!
The laser is much closer to the surface of the disc in BD compared HD DVD, the same for the data layers, main reason was for recording.

As to licensing, Sony was just one of 9 founders of Blu-ray. Info at the BDA and MPEG LA.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The laser is much closer to the surface of the disc in BD compared HD DVD, the same for the data layers, main reason was for recording.

As to licensing, Sony was just one of 7 founders of Blu-ray. Info at the BDA and MPEG LA.
The use of a higher frequency laser - blue rather than red - by raising the frequency shortened the wavelength, from 650 to 405 nanometers.

Whether this played a role in allowing the laser to be placed closer to the disk surface I don't know, but the net result of the combination was a much more tightly-focused beam, enabling narrower, more closely-spaced tracks and five times as much data stored on a disk.

I suspect that before its disasters from its prior two format battles, Sony might not have been willing to collaborate with six others.

The real rocket fuel for Blu-ray in the battle with HD DVD, beyond technological superiority, was that Sony had smuggled Blu-ray playback capability into lots of homes by making the PlayStation 3 a Blu-ray player, doing an end-run around the "chicken and egg" problem earlier formats been faced with: "Why manufacture disks for a device that not many people have? Why buy a device that there aren't a lot of disks for?"

Whether or not there were a lot of Blu-ray disks, people bought the PlayStation primarily to play games. The ability to play Blu-rays was just icing on the cake.

It was the old strategy of "give them the razors - sell them the blades."

By making sure that there was an installed base of players, Sony was able to convince the film studios that there was a much lower risk that the disks they manufactured would go unsold if they went with Blu-ray than with HD DVD.

It also helped to overcome the principal advantage HD DVD had; cost, since existing DVD components could be used to make HD DVD players. By ramping up production of Blu-ray equipment, achieving similar economy of scale occurred more quickly, helping to reduce the difference in hardware cost.

Reactions: RagtopFE

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The use of a higher frequency laser
Before responding to me you may want to read the white papers at the BDA here. Sony consumer products division has collaborated with other large corps for a long time, one of the best known is Philips for the CD. Blu-ray vs HD DVD, I was right in the middle of that, going back to the early 2000's when it was just a thread in AVS projector section. An excerpt that I posted at AVS many years ago:

News Release 2002/2/19
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Thomson Multimedia

Tokyo Japan, February 19, 2002: Nine leading companies today announced that they have jointly established the basic specifications for a next generation large capacity optical disc video recording format called “Blu–ray Disc”.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Before responding to me you may want to read the white papers at the BDA here. Sony consumer products division has collaborated with other large corps for a long time, one of the best known is Philips for the CD. Blu-ray vs HD DVD, I was right in the middle of that, going back to the early 2000's when it was just a thread in AVS projector section. An excerpt that I posted at AVS many years ago:
It took a while but ...

Toshiba Quits; Sony's Blu-ray Wins DVD War

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
It took a while but ...
Did not take me anytime, from the BDA site:

When was the Blu-ray Disc Association established?
The group of companies that develops the Blu-ray Disc format was initially called Blu-ray Disc Founders, and it was established in early 2002. In June 2004, the group was renamed to Blu-ray Disc Association to underline its intentions to welcome other companies to join the association.
I have already pointed readers to the licensing requirements to build a Blu-ray player. Many companies hold patents.

Trivia: What company introduced the first Blu-ray player to the US market? (Hint, it was not Sony)

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Bluray won, HD DVD lost, and Oppo is no longer building hardware seems sufficient for the above back and forth. The rest of the discussion is just people trying to prove they're smarter than each other which isn't fun to watch.
I agree. Too bad folks hang on to hearsay and ignore facts. No more from me on this subject.

I just hope my 203 last a very long time!!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use an Apple TV and an Oppo 203 (Audiocom Signature). Which do you think is the better choice at Oppo: 1. Hdmi in 2. Hdmi in bypass. If Hdmi in bypass (due to DV), what is the added benefit of Oppo? (Dolby Atmos don't care)

·
Registered
80 Posts
When this color gamut deficiency was discovered it had been said that the Red & Green didn't fully saturate even to the REC709 color range, especially the Red color point is deeply under saturated more towards the SD's REC601 color gamut, pretty amazing how OPPO managed to actually worsen the HDR-SDR BT2020 color conversion & could not even reach HD REC709 Red & Green color saturation points.
Who says that?

Your are the only one I found to say so.I got back in this thread til end of 2018 and couldn't find any information about desatured colors. Please provide more information to us.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Who says that?

Your are the only one I found to say so.I got back in this thread til end of 2018 and couldn't find any information about desatured colors. Please provide more information to us.
Read the posts starting in March 2018. Too many to pick out just one but jetsen was I believe the first to measure the problem with HDR OFF BT2020 using Calman. It was confirmed by several others.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2676801-official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread-872.html#post55782706

Reactions: galonzo and oniiz

·
Registered
241 Posts
Who says that?

As "claw" noted the user "jetsen" that discovered OPPO's HDR-SDR conversion colour space deficiency talks about it in a video he made here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2676801-official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread-896.html#post55848714

Also about the Red color point not even reaching Rec.709 here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2222586-official-jvc-rs600-rs500-x950r-x750r-x9000-x7000-owners-thread-988.html#post55861510

i don't even get to REC709 on red with Tone mapping on as you can see.
I also just put in the regular blu ray of the amazing spider man 2 and the reds on the Blu ray are definitely more saturated then When playing the UHD BT2020 tone mapped version.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anyone still using SMB shares on Windows 10? Mine stopped working the other day and I have no idea why.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Anyone still using SMB shares on Windows 10? Mine stopped working the other day and I have no idea why.
Yes. It’s likely your Master Browser changed. I use my ASUS Router as Master Browser, and this seems to make it all work reliably.

If you didn’t purposely set this up, you can probably get it back by turning off all network devices and then turning on your Server First, wait, then try powering your other network devices. You might need to resented your SMB username/password again.

Reactions: galonzo and Keenan

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Yes. It’s likely your Master Browser changed. I use my ASUS Router as Master Browser, and this seems to make it all work reliably.

If you didn’t purposely set this up, you can probably get it back by turning off all network devices and then turning on your Server First, wait, then try powering your other network devices. You might need to resented your SMB username/password again.
I don't think that Win-10 is still capable of performing as master browser. It was killed off in one of the updates, maybe last fall? My solution was to stick a thumb drive in my Netgear router and turn on SMB in that. Now the router always acts as MB no matter what else is turned on or in what order.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I use an Apple TV and an Oppo 203 (Audiocom Signature). Which do you think is the better choice at Oppo: 1. Hdmi in 2. Hdmi in bypass. If Hdmi in bypass (due to DV), what is the added benefit of Oppo? (Dolby Atmos don't care)
Why aren't you connecting the appletv directly?

I'm using the 21:9 cropped aspect ratio and have the output of my avr going into the input of the oppo. Doing this allows Atmos with the Appletv and also crops the image for 2.35:1 content. I'm using HDMI in and not passthrough. I like the processing of the oppo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My AVR (Primare Spa23) has not 4k video modul (yet). The question is: what is the meaning of hdmi in bypass versus direct connection to Apple tv-Tv?

38721 - 38740 of 38988 Posts