AVS Forum banner

38761 - 38780 of 38967 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Wonder Woman 4k bluray won't play in 203. Plays fine in LG970 and Sony 800x so I think the disc is fine. Reset player and cleared persistent storage. Anyone else have this issue?
Zero problems when I watched it.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The Warner Brothers 100GB discs are notorious. Many people swear by washing them. They have some protective coating that can interfere with the 203.

My Wonder Woman disc freezes on my 203.

My Batman Vs Superman disc must actually be bad (washing wouldn't fix)...the rip I made with AnyDVD ALSO won't play on my 203...it freezes at the same place.
I wonder if possibly there are bad presses, or one mold in an array that gets contaminated affecting discs after it? I had one disc, the Darkest Minds UHD, the Aussie release that had picture breakup, repeatable at a certain spot. Amazon replaced it and the new one did exactly the same. So I converted it to a file and it basically went nuts at that spot. I didn't have the oppo when it did, was just the Panasonic, so I didn't get to test it on another disc player. I've got a US copy eh route so I'm interested if it is ok. It is just that I've never heard of any others having issues with that disc.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I wonder if possibly there are bad presses, or one mold in an array that gets contaminated affecting discs after it? I had one disc, the Darkest Minds UHD, the Aussie release that had picture breakup, repeatable at a certain spot. Amazon replaced it and the new one did exactly the same. So I converted it to a file and it basically went nuts at that spot. I didn't have the oppo when it did, was just the Panasonic, so I didn't get to test it on another disc player. I've got a US copy eh route so I'm interested if it is ok. It is just that I've never heard of any others having issues with that disc.
It is good to have a second 4K UHD player to see if it will run a 4K disc that the Oppo wouldn't.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
It is good to have a second 4K UHD player to see if it will run a 4K disc that the Oppo wouldn't.
I do, I use my LG UHD player when the Oppo has issues or vice versa. I even have a third which is my XBox but for some reason I never think of it as a UHD player?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Won't play Wonder Woman 4k

Just another positive result here. Nobody mentioned firmware, so in case that is relevant, I'm on the latest, presumably final, version.
I'm running the latest firmware. As noted I have multiple 4k players, but; only the 203 in theater. I've washed the disc with same results. Batman vs Superman 4k plays fine. The Wonder Woman disc played fine when I first bought and played, but; not since.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been watching some Criterion's lately, and I notice that the Oppo take their mono soundtracks and outputs them as 2.0. I'm assuming dual mono? If I was so inclined, is there a way to get it to output only through the center channel, like the disc intends?

·
Registered
22,163 Posts
I've been watching some Criterion's lately, and I notice that the Oppo take their mono soundtracks and outputs them as 2.0. I'm assuming dual mono? If I was so inclined, is there a way to get it to output only through the center channel, like the disc intends?
That's a DSP function you should get from your AVR. Mono on a movie disc is usually 2.0.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Try Dolby Surround which should make the audio image go to the center speaker. Or you could get bold and try Multi-Channel Stereo.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
From here - @madshi of madVR (and soon to be Envy) - repeating here for Oppo users....the Envy thread as some more info too.

------------------
Oppo UHD Blu-Ray player test results
------------------------------------

Tested with "Output Resoultion" set to "Source Direct".

1080p SDR Blu-Ray:
- 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 settings produce 4:2:2 output
- Auto and Auto-Safe settings produce 4:4:4 output
- with 4:2:2 output, output bitdepth is always 10/12 bit
- with 4:4:4 output, the bitdepth option is effective, with Auto producing 10/12 bit output
- the chroma channel is slightly blurred in X direction and shifted to the left (probably bilinear resampling)
- the chroma channel is upscaled from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 using bilinear
- the chroma channel is upscaled from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 using nearest neighbor
- with 4:4:4 8bit output, the luma channel is perfect, otherwise the most signifcant 8 bits are perfect, the other bits are a bit "weird"

4K HDR Blu-Ray 24fps:
- output bitdepth is always 10/12 bit
- the chroma channel is slightly blurred in X direction and shifted to the left (probably bilinear resampling)
- the chroma channel is upscaled from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 using nearest neighbor
- the luma channel is always perfect

4K HDR Blu-Ray 60fps:
- 4:2:0 and Auto-Safe settings produce 4:2:0 output
- 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and Auto settings produce 4:2:2 output
- with 4:2:0 output, the chroma channel is blurred in X direction (probably bilinear resampling)
- with 4:2:2 output, the chroma channel is slightly blurred in X direction and shifted to the left (probably bilinear resampling)

Recommendation for all users:
- 4:2:0 and 8 bit

Recommendation for Envy users with firmware 0.96.5.0 (or newer)
- Auto-Safe and 8 bit

·
Registered
116 Posts
From here - @madshi of madVR (and soon to be Envy) - repeating here for Oppo users....the Envy thread as some more info too.

------------------
Oppo UHD Blu-Ray player test results
------------------------------------

Tested with "Output Resoultion" set to "Source Direct".

1080p SDR Blu-Ray:
- with 4:2:2 output, output bitdepth is always 10/12 bit
- with 4:4:4 output, the bitdepth option is effective, with Auto producing 10/12 bit output
- the chroma channel is upscaled from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 using bilinear
- with 4:4:4 8bit output, the luma channel is perfect, otherwise the most signifcant 8 bits are perfect, the other bits are a bit "weird"

4K HDR Blu-Ray 24fps:

4K HDR Blu-Ray 60fps:
- 4:2:0 and Auto-Safe settings produce 4:2:0 output
- 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and Auto settings produce 4:2:2 output
- with 4:2:0 output, the chroma channel is blurred in X direction (probably bilinear resampling)
- with 4:2:2 output, the chroma channel is slightly blurred in X direction and shifted to the left (probably bilinear resampling)

Recommendation for all users:
- 4:2:0 and 8 bit

Recommendation for Envy users with firmware 0.96.5.0 (or newer)
- Auto-Safe and 8 bit

I've always wondered why the Oppo outputs 4:4:4 when I didn't think these discs had 4:4:4.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
That's a DSP function you should get from your AVR. Mono on a movie disc is usually 2.0.
What rdgrimes said. For mono movies (same info on L & R channels) and Dolby Stereo (Surround) content I select DPLIIx Movie mode on my Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP. For mono content the sound comes from the center channel only, for properly mixed Dolby Stereo content dialogue comes from the center channel while music and effects comes from the intended channels.

I have been told DPLIIx has been removed from recent hardware and replaced with the Dolby upmixer. My A5100 has a upmixer as well but I have never tried it with mono content.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I've always wondered why the Oppo outputs 4:4:4 when I didn't think these discs had 4:4:4.
It is 4:2:0 on the disc, but it has to be 4:4:4 and converted to RGB to be displayed. The issue is which steps of the upsampling and conversion occur in the Oppo, and which happen in the video display. Sometimes its even more complex than that.

See: Choosing a Color Space, Ultra HD Edition

Reactions: galonzo and wl1

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Criterion's Dr. Strangelove and The Great Escape have 1.0 monaural tracks, that output correctly as center channel only from the UDP-203 over HDMI. (Which Criterion titles are you experiencing this with?) Many other discs use 2.0 for monaural. How is your Oppo connected for audio (and to what)? If HDMI or Optical, are you using bitstream or LPCM?

Any flavor of Dolby Pro-Logic should do the trick for getting 2.0 monaural to play only on the center speaker.

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The Blu-ray of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), with Errol Flynn, Olivia deHaviland and Basil Rathbone, has only a 1.0 just center channel output - which I don't like!

Maybe you want the sound of a mono movie to come just from the center speaker, but my preference would be a 2.0 (L,R) or 3.0 (L,C,R) soundtrack - so I could route it to all my speakers with my Yamaha's "car stereo" mode that ties all channels on each side of the room together (called "9 Channel Stereo" on my Yamaha RX-A3070).

Anyone have any tips for easily converting an HDMI 1.0 soundtrack to 2.0 or 3.0 so I could do this?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Anyone have any tips for easily converting an HDMI 1.0 soundtrack to 2.0 or 3.0 so I could do this?
Selecting the center speaker setting on your AVR to "None" should get the AVR to play it on the left and right front speakers. I'm not sure that helps with your 9 Channel Stereo mode. The 9ch stereo mode won't work from a 1.0 source?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Selecting the center speaker setting on your AVR to "None" should get the AVR to play it on the left and right front speakers. I'm not sure that helps with your 9 Channel Stereo mode. The 9ch stereo mode won't work from a 1.0 source?
I'll experiment with using the 9 Channel Stereo mode on that 1.0 disk, but turning off the center channel would involve too much menu diving for one disk - I'd have to clone my tweaked channel setup, turn off the center channel on the clone, and then switch back and forth between those setups as well as DSP modes - and I'm not a user of the Harmony type of device automation, but a believer in the "a separate remote for each device" school.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,675 Posts
^ The relevant thread for your AVR may be the way to go here as it's more about how your AVR processes what it receives than anything the Oppo does. The only thing that might work on the Oppo side is to use the analog downmix to force 2 channel output and send analog audio from the Oppo to the AVR. But that seems like more effort than it's worth for a small number of movies.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
^ The relevant thread for your AVR may be the way to go here as it's more about how your AVR processes what it receives than anything the Oppo does. The only thing that might work on the Oppo side is to use the analog downmix to force 2 channel output and send analog audio from the Oppo to the AVR. But that seems like more effort than it's worth for a small number of movies.
I could use an RCA Y-adapter to send the Oppo's analog center channel output to one of the AVR's standard stereo inputs and create a duplicate AV input on the AVR using the HDMI input for video and that stereo input for sound. Plus I could set that input to always use 9 Channel Stereo.

So all I'd have to do would be choose that input with the remote!

And if his AVR is old enough to have a multichannel analog input, jamisonia could do the opposite, Y-ing his 2.0 analog output into the analog center channel input.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,675 Posts
I could use an RCA Y-adapter to send the Oppo's analog center channel output to one of the AVR's standard stereo inputs and create a duplicate AV input on the AVR using the HDMI input for video and that stereo input for sound. Plus I could set that input to always use 9 Channel Stereo.

So all I'd have to do would be choose that input with the remote!
No need for a Y in this case. Just configure the analog output on the Oppo for 2 channels and a mono track should end up going to the front left/right outputs. If you aren't otherwise using the analog outputs on the Oppo, you wouldn't need to constantly reconfigure anything.

And if his AVR is old enough to have a multichannel analog input, jamisonia could do the opposite, Y-ing his 2.0 analog output into the analog center channel input.
I'm not sure if that might have undesirable side effects or not.

38761 - 38780 of 38967 Posts