AVS Forum banner

38781 - 38800 of 38988 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,424 Posts
The Blu-ray of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), with Errol Flynn, Olivia deHaviland and Basil Rathbone, has only a 1.0 just center channel output - which I don't like!

Maybe you want the sound of a mono movie to come just from the center speaker, but my preference would be a 2.0 (L,R) or 3.0 (L,C,R) soundtrack - so I could route it to all my speakers with my Yamaha's "car stereo" mode that ties all channels on each side of the room together (called "9 Channel Stereo" on my Yamaha RX-A3070).

Anyone have any tips for easily converting an HDMI 1.0 soundtrack to 2.0 or 3.0 so I could do this?
As I recall, if you set your HDMI Audio output to LPCM instead of Bitstream, you will get LPCM 2.0 (dual channel Mono) output.
--Bob

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
As I recall, if you set your HDMI Audio output to LPCM instead of Bitstream, you will get LPCM 2.0 (dual channel Mono) output.
I just tested this, and it works as described.

I was completely wrong about Criterion's Dr. Strangelove and The Great Escape having 1.0 monaural tracks. They're 2.0 monaural. I finally found a 1.0 track on Gone With the Wind. I think 2.0 monaural is more common.

My preference is to keep the sound of the voice as close as possible to the mouth it's supposed be coming from on the screen, so I do like getting monaural to the center speaker only. I'm glad that Pro-Logic allows this with 2.0 monaural.

Reactions: Craig Mecak

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Any flavor of Dolby Pro-Logic should do the trick for getting 2.0 monaural to play only on the center speaker.
My AVP has PLIIx Movie and PLIIx Music and for the Music mode you have these options:

Center Width
Adjusts the broadening effect of the center sound field.
0 to 3 to 7
Higher to enhance the broadening effect, and lower to reduce it (closer to center).​
I have mine set to 7 so there is no sound from the center speaker. Just a personal preface for listening to 2 channel music, the front is normal stereo with ambience from the surround channels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm aware that many BDs have mono soundtracks on the FL and FR speakers and you can your AVR mix that into 1 speaker. I'm talking specifically about discs that have their soundtrack only on 1 track, the Center Track. The Oppo (NOT THE AVR) is taking the 1.0 soundtrack assigned to the center channel, and outputting it to the AVR to 2.0 on the FL/FR channel. Using PLII does seem to downmix it back down to only the center channel, but I find it weird that the Oppo is splitting this to 2 channels in bitstream mode anyway. It also does this on LPCM mode.

I don't mean to derail the thread due to this mixing topic, I was simply curious why the player is doing this, and if there was a way to get the player to pass the 1.0 soundtrack to the AVR as is.

Since someone asks, some Criterion's that have an LPCM Mono 1.0 track: The Battle of Algiers, The Blob, Cat People. There are several more.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think it was rdgrimes who first noticed/reported the OPPO's strange behaviour when playing HDR10+ media with the beta.

I had some Doom9 forum members look into the issue and they confirmed that the HDR10+ meta-data was intact, which pointed to the OPPO not processing the files correctly. Anyway, it's fixed now.

I've also noticed that some Dolby Vision samples that previously displayed inverted colours are now displayed correctly. And some of my old MPEG-4 SP and ASP samples that previously played with a slight stutter now play perfectly.

There are still a few niggles when playing files encoded with aspect ratio signalling, such: 720x576 and 720x480 with 16:9 DAR. But all-in-all I'm liking this latest firmware release...

@SeeMoreDigital

Has this aspect ratio signalling issue, is Widescreen Signalling (WSS) the same thing always been present or something observed with OPPO's 65-0131 firmware?

What exactly is the issue with 720x576 & 720x480 resolutions within the 16:9 Display Aspect Ratio? Is it not being identified correctly as 4:3, I've seen 4:3 material flagged as 16:9 sometimes on the OPPO, it's strange that the studios would encode 4:3 with a 16:9 flag.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The Oppo (NOT THE AVR) is taking the 1.0 soundtrack assigned to the center channel, and outputting it to the AVR to 2.0 on the FL/FR channel. Using PLII does seem to downmix it back down to only the center channel, but I find it weird that the Oppo is splitting this to 2 channels in bitstream mode anyway.
I'm watching "The Adventures of Robin Hood" BD right now. My Oppo UDP-203 shows that it is outputting the English Dolby Digital Mono track via bitstream, and my Pioneer SC-77 shows it is receiving a Dolby Digital 1.0 Channel 48 kHz bitstream from the Oppo, and playing it only on the center channel without using any Pro-Logic processing. I tried turning Secondary Audio on, and that also plays straight through as Dolby Digital Mono 1.0, center channel only. The only way I'm getting the Oppo to split it to 2.0 FL/FR instead of 1.0 Center only is to switch the UDP-203 to LPCM. Is your Oppo's HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 connected directly to your AVR?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,424 Posts
I'm aware that many BDs have mono soundtracks on the FL and FR speakers and you can your AVR mix that into 1 speaker. I'm talking specifically about discs that have their soundtrack only on 1 track, the Center Track. The Oppo (NOT THE AVR) is taking the 1.0 soundtrack assigned to the center channel, and outputting it to the AVR to 2.0 on the FL/FR channel. Using PLII does seem to downmix it back down to only the center channel, but I find it weird that the Oppo is splitting this to 2 channels in bitstream mode anyway. It also does this on LPCM mode.

I don't mean to derail the thread due to this mixing topic, I was simply curious why the player is doing this, and if there was a way to get the player to pass the 1.0 soundtrack to the AVR as is.

Since someone asks, some Criterion's that have an LPCM Mono 1.0 track: The Battle of Algiers, The Blob, Cat People. There are several more.
With Bitstream output, typically this happens because the AVR does not support 1.0 (Center channel only) as Bitstream input. This is published during the HDMI handshake. Thus the player has to switch to 2.0 (dual channel Mono in LF/RF) for the Bitstream. For LPCM output, the conversion to 2.0 is as designed. I'm not sure HDMI supports LPCM 1.0, but the odds are anything taking LPCM input (like an older, stereo-only TV) is not going to be happy with 1.0.
--Bob

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Criterion's Dr. Strangelove and The Great Escape have 1.0 monaural tracks, that output correctly as center channel only from the UDP-203 over HDMI.
I was completely wrong about Criterion's Dr. Strangelove and The Great Escape having 1.0 monaural tracks. They're 2.0 monaural.
I've been watching some Criterion's lately, and I notice that the Oppo take their mono soundtracks and outputs them as 2.0. I'm assuming dual mono? If I was so inclined, is there a way to get it to output only through the center channel, like the disc intends?
Criterion puts it on the center channel. Its the Oppo that's duplicating that and outputting to FL/FR.
Well, I was wrong both times, and you're exactly right. My Criterion titles "Dr. Strangelove" and "The Great Escape" both have LPCM 1.0 channel monaural audio, but the Oppo will only output LPCM 2.0 (L/R). Bitstream 1.0 will get passed without alteration, but if it's LPCM 1.0 (whether source or decoded from bitstream) the Oppo will reconfigure it to LPCM 2.0. I do wish at the very least this were an option rather than forced. If there is an option to preserve the LPCM 1.0, I'm not finding it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well, I just tested using my Yamaha AVR's "9 Channel Stereo" setting with The Legend of Robin Hood's 1.0 DD bitstream, and it did indeed play the audio from all the speakers.

Since switching into that mode (and back after) takes a few steps, I'm going to create a separate "Scene" with that setup so I can get to it with one button press on the AVR remote, which has four Scene buttons, which I haven't used.

It seems strange that - for a disk that has an extended special feature about the history of "three strip color" and its role in creating more durable color rendition by using black and white "color separations" that can't suffer from dye shift - that the film itself is encoded with the most lossy soundtrack, classic Dolby Digital, not even DD+, much less lossless TrueHD.

What would it have cost them to put a simple LPCM soundtrack on it?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I tried "The Best Years of Our Lives" which has a DTS mono soundtrack.

My Denon 6200 played it back in 2.1.

The only way I could get mono exclusively from the center speaker was to set my 6200 to Direct mode which disables Audyssey, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.

I preferred 2.1.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a way to confirm HDR10+ is being outputted? I'm not sure on the settings required to get HDR10+ as Dolby Vision has its own menu item but 10+ does not. Currently have it set to HDR auto and want to confirm I am getting the dynamic metadata.

I have access to Parasite UHD Bluray which reports as supporting HDR10+ on the box, playing through my Samsung Q950T which supports HDR10+.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Is there a way to confirm HDR10+ is being outputted? I'm not sure on the settings required to get HDR10+ as Dolby Vision has its own menu item but 10+ does not. Currently have it set to HDR auto and want to confirm I am getting the dynamic metadata.
Provided your OPPO has firmware version UDP20X-65-0131 installed and your TV supports HDR10+ your TV should receive HDR10+.

Full support for HDR10+ has been confirmed by many other OPPO users...

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
177 Posts
My Oppo remote just stopped working. I put in fresh batteries but it is still unresponsive. I had the same issue not long after I bought the unit, and they replaced it, so I am surprised lightning struck twice. Has anyone else had a problem?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
With Bitstream output, typically this happens because the AVR does not support 1.0 (Center channel only) as Bitstream input. This is published during the HDMI handshake. Thus the player has to switch to 2.0 (dual channel Mono in LF/RF) for the Bitstream. For LPCM output, the conversion to 2.0 is as designed. I'm not sure HDMI supports LPCM 1.0, but the odds are anything taking LPCM input (like an older, stereo-only TV) is not going to be happy with 1.0.
--Bob

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,424 Posts
My Oppo remote just stopped working. I put in fresh batteries but it is still unresponsive. I had the same issue not long after I bought the unit, and they replaced it, so I am surprised lightning struck twice. Has anyone else had a problem?

Many Thanks
First of all, double check you put the new batteries in the right way round. It's surprisingly easy to screw this up.

Next, unplug the player from wall power, wait a couple seconds and plug it back in. Now see if the Power button on the remote works to turn the player ON. (The first power On after restoring wall power will work regardless of the remote "code set" selector setting in the remote.) If so, but the player still doesn't respond to the remote AFTER turning on, then you may have accidentally changed the remote "code set" selection slider inside the battery compartment of the remote. This has to match the number that's in Setup > Device Setup.

If the Power button does *NOT* work to turn the player On, reach around the back of the player with the remote and see if the player picks it up on its Rear IR sensor. If so, go into Setup from the on-screen Home Menu (use the Arrow buttons on the Front Panel). Go to Device Setup, and toggle the IR In setting to Back and then to Front again. Check again to see if the remote now works normally.

If that fixes it, you may be good to go. If the problem recurs, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support as the settings memory in your player may need service.

Remotes are electronic devices, so of course they CAN fail. But two failures means it may be something else, thus my suggestions.
--Bob

·
Registered
177 Posts
First of all, double check you put the new batteries in the right way round. It's surprisingly easy to screw this up.

Thank you for the information Bob.

I did indeed check the battery configuration and it was correct, I then began to troubleshoot according to your instructions.
Unfortunately, unplugging the device and pushing the power button on the remote did not work, so I proceeded to the next steps and took the remote to the back of the unit...still no response. Deflated, I then went back to the front of the unit and pressed the power button on the remote again. Much to my surprise and joy it came on! I then pushed the "eject" button and it worked.
Hopefully, it will continue to function, but if not, I will follow your further instructions.
I received this replacement remote about two years ago and I have experienced no issues with it until now.
Can the unit be used without a remote by using the front buttons? I could not get past the menus on a UHD disk I was attempting to watch yesterday, by trying to use the buttons on the front panel.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,424 Posts
Thank you for the information Bob.

I did indeed check the battery configuration and it was correct, I then began to troubleshoot according to your instructions.
Unfortunately, unplugging the device and pushing the power button on the remote did not work, so I proceeded to the next steps and took the remote to the back of the unit...still no response. Deflated, I then went back to the front of the unit and pressed the power button on the remote again. Much to my surprise and joy it came on! I then pushed the "eject" button and it worked.
Hopefully, it will continue to function, but if not, I will follow your further instructions.
I received this replacement remote about two years ago and I have experienced no issues with it until now.
Can the unit be used without a remote by using the front buttons? I could not get past the menus on a UHD disk I was attempting to watch yesterday, by trying to use the buttons on the front panel.
It's possible the new batteries were not making good contact inside the remote. Fiddling around like this may have jiggled them into place.

You can do quite a bit using the front panel buttons alone, but some disc menus WILL be problematic.
--Bob

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's possible the new batteries were not making good contact inside the remote. Fiddling around like this may have jiggled them into place.

You can do quite a bit using the front panel buttons alone, but some disc menus WILL be problematic.
--Bob
Thanks Again.

38781 - 38800 of 38988 Posts