AVS Forum banner

38861 - 38880 of 38986 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,423 Posts
No. In your 203, when the HDMI Audio output is “live”, audio is Muted on the HDMI Main output.

Also, the player’s Volume control doesn’t alter HDMI audio output levels (except that Volume 0 produces Mute).
—Bob

·
Registered
420 Posts
I recently acquired an extra 203 for the game room. It plays CDs and DVDs and 4K blu rays just fine. I tried a Dolby Vision disc and it played back in HDR10.

Also, it wouldn't play back DV files from external hard drive. The files all show up, but when I click play, it just goes back to the list of movies again.

I checked the firmware and it shows:UDP20X-29-1209

Looks like it is the original firmware released with the unit back in 2016! I am assuming updating to the latest will allow for DV file playback from discs and external drives. Any reason not to update? Any important feature that is lost when updating to the latest? (My other units are updated to the latest firmware)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I recently acquired an extra 203 for the game room. It plays CDs and DVDs and 4K blu rays just fine. I tried a Dolby Vision disc and it played back in HDR10.

Also, it wouldn't play back DV files from external hard drive. The files all show up, but when I click play, it just goes back to the list of movies again.

I checked the firmware and it shows:UDP20X-29-1209

Looks like it is the original firmware released with the unit back in 2016! I am assuming updating to the latest will allow for DV file playback from discs and external drives. Any reason not to update? Any important feature that is lost when updating to the latest? (My other units are updated to the latest firmware)

Thanks!!

Read HERE and note this:

2. For players with firmware version 42-0329 or earlier, please install the UDP20X-45-0605 firmware first. You will then be able to upgrade from version 45-0605 to the latest version, 65-0131

·
Registered
421 Posts
Uh oh, something must of just happened to my Oppo 203 player and my Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver. Worked fine till today, but now when I try to play a disc I get "Decoder Off" on my receiver and no audio. I tried switching some HDMI cables, switching inputs on the receiver to no avail. I then hooked up the player to my TV (LG OLED55C6 and did get audio. I tried switching some of the sound modes on the receiver to see if that'd trigger anything, but nothing. Do you guys have any suggestions I should try? Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Uh oh, something must of just happened to my Oppo 203 player and my Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver. Worked fine till today, but now when I try to play a disc I get "Decoder Off" on my receiver and no audio. I tried switching some HDMI cables, switching inputs on the receiver to no avail. I then hooked up the player to my TV (LG OLED55C6 and did get audio. I tried switching some of the sound modes on the receiver to see if that'd trigger anything, but nothing. Do you guys have any suggestions I should try? Not sure where to go from here.
I have had success in what I call "A soft re-boot" of the receiver. Pull the receiver's power plug, push the "On" button & hold it in & replace the power plug while still holding in the power button.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have had success in what I call "A soft re-boot" of the receiver. Pull the receiver's power plug, push the "On" button & hold it in & replace the power plug while still holding in the power button.

Good Luck!

Awesome, that worked! Any idea what caused it? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
OPPO UDP203 + Sony VPL-VW1000ES image settings

Hi everyone!! I am new to the community, it is a pleasure to join in.

I was wondering if you guys could help me with the image settings of my equipment.

I have:
  • KRELL FOUNDATION 4K
  • 5.1 SPEAKERS BY BOWERS & WILKINS
  • 110 INCHES STEWART FILMSCREEN
  • OPPO UDP203
  • SONY VPL-VW1000ES 4K PROJECTOR
Most of the times I use an external disk drive plugged in via USB to my OPPO and play films from there.

My problem is that I cannot seem to find the correct image settings because scenes which happen indoor and at night are displayed very darkly. Sometimes it is very difficult to know what is going on in the film or who did what in these type of scenes in which there is no natural light. Most of them are in 1080p via a MKV or MP4 file. When I play these films in normal 4K TVs like LG, dark images are better distinguished.

Landscapes during the day and daily images look awesome though.

I would appreciate your help very much. I always have the same doubt with this issue: which image settings prevail? The OPPO's or the projector's? Or is it necessary to make a good combination of both? Of course I tried to increase brightness but that gives a white glow which is unnatural too.

If someone has a similar equipment and can share the settings that would be of great help!

Thanks!!

JJ

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Awesome, that worked! Any idea what caused it? Thank you so much!
HDCP handshake failure will mute audio until all connected devices are rebooted. If one or more devices are set for "soft standby" instead of full off (energy efficient standby) you may not be able to resolve it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only place you should be making picture adjustments is in the display. Get it properly set up for SDR and HDR images, which it sounds like you need to do.
You mean then touching settings only on the Sony projector and not on the Oppo, right? Any thread you have in mind for correct setup of the Sony 1000ES?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me tell a story:

Oppo 203 with latest firmware.

1. Long time ago i setup option:
Power On Input [ Last Input ]
Auto Play Mode [ On]

And when i start player it shows main menu - not going to laast input, after I choose manualy source and start playing there was message to choose playing from beginig or from last position

2. A few days earlier suddenly when i start player and choose in memu last input i've used (network), OPPO goes automaticly to last played file and start from begining. I've not change any option.

3. Today: And when i start player it shows main menu - not going to laast input, after I choose manualy source and start playing there was message to choose playing from beginig or from last position. I've not change any option.

What do You think about it?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,423 Posts
^ Two possibilities come to mind: Your power OFF sequence is changing the input away from what you are expecting, or you are disconnecting the player from wall power while it is Off
—Bob

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi

I have Oppo 205 and watched the 4k Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Last time I watched it when I first got last year it stalled midway at presumably the layer change midway during chapter 10...about when Groot keeps bringing back the wrong items and exactly when he finally cottons on about what the emblem means. It wouldn't resume until I skipped to the next chapter.

First time I put it down to a dirty disk and moved on. This time I cleaned the disk thoroughly but it stalled at exactly the same place at 01:04:57. If I rewind a little from the next chapter 11 I can get it back as far as 01:07:33. But any further and it'll stall again. Likewise if I use the GoTo command.. Any ideas?

This is clearly too late to return and is the special edition Best Buy with 4k, 3D etc imported from USA to UK so can't return anyway.

To clarify I did see the reply to my first post. But Is Guardians of the galaxy 2 uhd oppo 205 or 203 known for stalling ornis there a beta Firmware kicking around that fixes this ?

I'm on the latest firmware per Oppo UK website for what it's worth. 0131 I think from Feb 2019
This is the only disk I've ever had issues with.

Thank you
Chris

·
Read the FAQ!
35,423 Posts
^ Odds are your copy is from a “bad batch”. You could try getting in touch with OPPO Tech Support to see if they have history on file for this title. Best would be if you can provide them the complete set of tiny numbers printed under the bar code, as that will clarify which version you have.

You can use the Email Us link on OPPO’s Support page for the player.

In addition, it’s quite possible if you reach out to customer support at the studio, they may offer to send you a replacement disc.
—Bob

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@chrisdack , I also have this same version, and I also recently re-watched it (within the last 2 weeks) since the first time, and it played from beginning to end without issue (including the scene after the credits), FWIW

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've also noticed that some Dolby Vision samples that previously displayed inverted colours are now displayed correctly. And some of my old MPEG-4 SP and ASP samples that previously played with a slight stutter now play perfectly.

There are still a few niggles when playing files encoded with aspect ratio signalling, such: 720x576 and 720x480 with 16:9 DAR. But all-in-all I'm liking this latest firmware release...
@SeeMoreDigital

Has this aspect ratio signalling issue, is Widescreen Signalling (WSS) the same thing always been present or something that only has been observed with OPPO's 65-0131 firmware?

What exactly is the issue with 720x576 & 720x480 resolutions within the 16:9 Display Aspect Ratio? Is it not being identified correctly as 4:3, I've seen 4:3 material flagged as 16:9 sometimes on the OPPO, it's strange that the studios would encode 4:3 with a 16:9 flag.

@Bob Pariseau

I was just wandering if you could explain what exactly is this issue that @SeeMoreDigital is referring to regarding "aspect ratio signalling" with 720x576 & 720x480 resolutions?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

Very occasional AVS Forum user here with a general question about the UDP-203. I've had one of these players for a few years, connected to a Sony XBR55X900E. Output when playing 4K UHD discs is never quite as amazing as I'd like or expected. I've never calibrated the display (I usually have it set with custom settings that are pretty close to "Cinema Pro" on the Sony), but I can say that back when I had Netflix 4K, the image quality on at least some of the programs I was viewing was pretty stunning, and I would expect that playback from a 4K disc would be at least at the same level and probably better. So I have to think the issue is probably not with the display but with the Oppo. I do get an HDR signal, which I understand indicates to me that I have the right type of cable, and it automatically changes the display settings when HDR is active. It's just that the 4K discs I have (I can provide a list if anyone is interested, but I have a fairly representative collection) don't really stand out from regular Blu-rays. If I were doing a blind viewing of 4K vs. Blu-ray my guess is I would have a hard time telling them apart. I've gone through all the settings on the Oppo and pretty sure I have everything set right.

So I guess I'm just wondering if this is a common complaint/question. I've read reviews of this player that talk about 4K "blowing Blu-ray out of the water" and other superlatives, and my experience has not been so mind-blowing. Just trying to get the most out of my equipment.

Thanks.

P.S. Video signal runs straight from the Oppo to the TV via HDMI. As I recall my receiver (Sony STR-DN1050) was not compatible with the latest HDMI standards, or something like that. So audio runs via optical cable from the Oppo to the receiver, but video runs directly from the Oppo to the display. For what it's worth.

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,915 Posts
Hi all,

Very occasional AVS Forum user here with a general question about the UDP-203.
Could you list the values you have in the OPPO Setup menu under Video?

When playing a UHD, press and hold the INFO button on the remote to display the Extended Info popup. What does it say? You have to scroll up and down to see all the info.

-Bill

38861 - 38880 of 38986 Posts