AVS Forum banner

13101 - 13120 of 38992 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I understand that, but if I tried to upscale to 4k to my 1080p plasma, it won't do it. Why? The answer being is that the player has identified the display as 1080, not 4k.

If your premise is that it is seeing my PJ as 1080p due to an EDID handshake, it would not deliver a 4k signal to it.

I cannot force the Oppo to output a 4k signal to my 1080p display.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

You can't send 4K to your 1080p plasma since a 1080p screen cannot display 4K. It doesn't matter whether the source is native 4K or native 1080p. The most your plasma can display is 1080p and it has no provision for accepting a 4K signal. No matter what device you use as a source you will always have to downscale native 4K content to 1080p if you want to send it to a 1080p display. This has nothing to do with HDCP 2.2 or any limitation in the 203, it's because your 1080p plasma can't display a 4K image and has no way of downscaling a 4K signal to 1080p on its own. Your plasma rejects 4K signals.

Your PJ will accept a 4K signal but because it lacks HDCP2.2 the 203 is not allowed to send a native 4K signal from a UHD disc to it. The 203 recognises your PJ as 4K, it just isn't permitted to send a native 4K signal to it from a UHD disc. The copy protection in HDCP 2.2 does not prevent the 203 sending a 4K signal to your PJ if the 4K signal it is sending is upscaled 4K from a 1080p source such as a normal Blu-ray disc or from a SD source such as a DVD. The limitation here is solely the result of the copy protection rules implemented in HDCP2.2. If the 203 did not recognise your PJ as a 4K screen it would not be able to upscale 1080p sources such as normal Blu-rays to 4K and send a 4K signal to the PJ because of the same issue that stops it sending 4K signals to your plasma.

Bottom line: you can't send more than 1080p to a 1080p display, period. You can send 4K to a 4K display but if the display is not HDCP 2.2 compliant you can only send upscaled 4K from lower resolution sources to it and you will have to downscale native 4K from UHD sources to 1080p for that display because of the requirements of HDCP 2.2.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges.

You can't send 4K to your 1080p plasma since a 1080p screen cannot display 4K. It doesn't matter whether the source is native 4K or native 1080p. The most your plasma can display is 1080p and it has no provision for accepting a 4K signal. No matter what device you use as a source you will always have to downscale native 4K content to 1080p if you want to send it to a 1080p display. This has nothing to do with HDCP 2.2 or any limitation in the 203, it's because your 1080p plasma can't display a 4K image and has no way of downscaling a 4K signal to 1080p on its own. Your plasma rejects 4K signals.

Your PJ will accept a 4K signal but because it lacks HDCP2.2 the 203 is not allowed to send a native 4K signal from a UHD disc to it. The 203 recognises your PJ as 4K, it just isn't permitted to send a native 4K signal to it from a UHD disc. The copy protection in HDCP 2.2 does not prevent the 203 sending a 4K signal to your PJ if the 4K signal it is sending is upscaled 4K from a 1080p source such as a normal Blu-ray disc or from a SD source such as a DVD. The limitation here is solely the result of the copy protection rules implemented in HDCP2.2. If the 203 did not recognise your PJ as a 4K screen it would not be able to upscale 1080p sources such as normal Blu-rays to 4K and send a 4K signal to the PJ because of the same issue that stops it sending 4K signals to your plasma.

Bottom line: you can't send more than 1080p to a 1080p display, period. You can send 4K to a 4K display but if the display is not HDCP 2.2 compliant you can only send upscaled 4K from lower resolution sources to it and you will have to downscale native 4K from UHD sources to 1080p for that display because of the requirements of HDCP 2.2.
Am I hallucinating the pics I posted earlier? Or is the Oppo downscaling the 4k disc to 1080p and then upscaling to 4K to the display? LOL, now that would be funny.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Aside from the pics I posted, what other information do you need. Is there a special info display I can access that shows what is "really" being sent to my display?

Am I hallucinating the pics or there is another explanation?

I am not stuck on believing my display can accept and display a 4k signal, but that is what I'm seeing. Why?
I really can't help you. Suggest you contact Oppo. Sorry I got involved. You need their help I think.

Reactions: deckarep and gwsat

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
The likes are piling up, so how here are some fresh images. There must be a simple explanation since this is apparently impossible.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
I really can't help you. Suggest you contact Oppo. Sorry I got involved. You need their help I think.
Thank you, really. I can't understand why I'm being treated and talked to like what I'm seeing is impossible, but I do appreciate you trying to help, sincerely.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Guys, I've watched plenty of 4k discs, and watched Passengers in 4k last night....

I cannot do HDR.
Correct you are able to watch 4k disc downconverted to 1080 which is correct for your HDMI 1.4a capable chipset. Understand any 1080p TV can watch 4k discs as the 203 will downconvert for the TVs capability.

I even listed your spec page for you where it shows plainly your set is 1080p with the ability to upconvert to 4k same as the many upconverting 4k BD players...this does not mean they output true 4k. This should be clear there is nothing your projector can do to output true 4k until you get HCCP 2.2 & HDMI 2.0a capable TV. End.

No 4k BD player will send your projector full 4k 2160, it will downconvert.

Again:

Below is your spec link on your 1920 x 1080p 4k "enhanced" 1.4a HDMI PJ:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS4910.htm

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thank you, really. I can't understand why I'm being treated and talked to like what I'm seeing is impossible, but I do appreciate you trying to help, sincerely.
Really I hope you understand we are just trying to help. I still think your projector is not HDCP 2.2 compliant but if you feel otherwise then great. I hope JVC or Oppo can help you. I was just trying to help you figure out why you only got 1080p. I thought I was trying to help by giving you the info that I had that the 4910 was not HDCP compliant. According to you that is not correct. So I really have nothing more to offer you to help you. That was all I had to offer. I suggest Oppo as the next step.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
I've not looked up your Display, so I haven't verified some of the statements made here. But if it is correct that your Display does not support the new, higher level of HDCP (Copy Protection) required by UHD discs, then what *MAY* have happened is that there was a bug in the older player firmware that let the 4K from UHD discs get through to your display anyway. By mistake. I.e., the HDMI handshake in the older firmware did not correctly identify what was allowed to go to your display by UHD disc licensing rules.

I suggest you get in touch with OPPO Tech Support with the details on your model of Display, and they can figure out whether what the player is doing now is in error, or whether it is simply enforcing a licensing rule that the earlier firmware should have also enforced.

I find that hard to believe, because the HDMI stuff gets certified before the player can go on sale, but I suppose it is possible.

If that's not it -- if your Display really is allowed to receive content from UHD discs at 4k -- then they can work with you to figure out what changed that's breaking that now.
--Bob

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
Correct you are able to watch 4k disc downconverted to 1080 which is correct for your HDMI 1.4a capable chipset. Understand any 1080p TV can watch 4k discs as the 203 will downconvert for the TVs capability. I listed your spec page where it shows plainly your set is 1080p with the ability to upconvert to 4k same as the upconverting 4k players...this does not mean they out put 4k. This should be clear there is nothing your projector can do to output true 4k until you get HCCP 2.2 & HDMI 2.0a TV. End.

Again:

Below is your spec link on your 1920 x 1080p 4k "enhanced" 1.4a HDMI PJ:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS4910.htm
I realize the display is not true 4K, it is e-shift. The question is whether it can accept a 4K signal, not if it can actually display it.

The screenshots I posted show a 4k native 4k disc with a 4k signal being accepted by the PJ, yet all I get is regurgitation of specs and no explanation for what the pics clearly show.

Thanks all, I know the pics don't correlate to your posts and clearly you are ignoring them.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
If that's not it -- if your Display really is allowed to receive content from UHD discs at 4k -- then they can work with you to figure out what changed that's breaking that now.
--Bob
I posted pics of the PJ accepting 4K signals from two different UtraHD discs. Perhaps I am hallucinating them though, since not a single post has commented on them.

The problem is that I now have to plug the HDMI cable from the PJ directly into the Oppo to get 4K output from the Oppo. If I run it through the Anthem AVM60 it outputs 1080p. That was not the case prior to the firmware update.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
I realize the display is not true 4K, it is e-shift. The question is whether it can accept a 4K signal, not if it can actually display it.

The screenshots I posted show a 4k native 4k disc with a 4k signal being accepted by the PJ, yet all I get is regurgitation of specs and no explanation for what the pics clearly show.

Thanks all, I know the pics don't correlate to your posts and clearly you are ignoring them.
Do you recall what version of firmware you were running in the OPPO when this worked?
--Bob

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
I posted pics of the PJ accepting 4K signals from two different UtraHD discs. Perhaps I am hallucinating them though, since not a single post has commented on them.

The problem is that I now have to plug the HDMI cable from the PJ directly into the Oppo to get 4K output from the Oppo. If I run it through the Anthem AVM60 it outputs 1080p. That was not the case prior to the firmware update.
OK, that's what I get for coming into the conversation late.

So if you run Main HDMI directly from the OPPO to your projector, the UHD discs play just fine -- with 4K going from the OPPO to the projector, but with SDR instead of HDR, right?

(By the way what do you have for your HDR Setting in the OPPO to get that?)

However, if you try to pass the video through the AVM 60 it gets knocked down to 1080p instead of 4K.

And using the "prior" firmware, that video through the AVM 60 also worked -- 4K/SDR instead of 1080p/SDR.

All correct?

------------------------------------

By "prior" firmware do you mean the 1229 Official firmware or a Public Beta firmware that came out between 1229 and the current 0222 Official firmware?

I still think your best bet is to work this with OPPO Tech Support. They will need the model info on your projector. OPPO has Anthem test gear in their lab, and Anthem also has OPPO players in THEIR lab so it shouldn't take too long to figure out what's going on here.

But if it is really the case that the OPPO should *NOT* be sending 4K to your projector when playing UHD discs, then you've found a bug in the current firmware which mistakenly lets that happen. As I said above, I've not looked up the specs on your projector so I don't know what it is supposed to be able to receive from UHD discs.
--Bob

·
Registered
679 Posts
Maybe I’m imagining things but I think there has been a recent trend in this phase of 203’s rollout where there is shift away from cabling being an issue to that of the HMDI protocol being the culprit. (And I'm not surprised if this turns out to be the case.) It seems with all this thoroughbred 4K roaring down the pike is really testing the limits of HDMI and the results are sadly not good.

[rant] Isn’t HMDI perhaps the most convoluted standard to grace electronica ever? I mean HDMI makes 8 Track tape seem like Buck Rogers technology. And those powers that be can’t leave well enough alone and insist on further mucking up the works with the sludge called HDCP. Me thinks there two too many “H” standards for Dodge. When I first powered up my 203, like a good Boy Scout, I was armed with an array of certified cables, me having had a longstanding hate-hate relationship with HDMI. And the 203 is one among several 4k components in my rack so I deal with all these HDMI failings almost subconsciously, reflexively re-initiating the handshake at every breakdown. When in bed as I slowly drift into that hypnagogic state screens of pure green or pink drift across causing me to jerk, I swear. So, isn’t about time someone out there calls for the insanity to stop? The press has mostly been silent on the matter. Who can save us from the evil which is HDMI?

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
OK, that's what I get for coming into the conversation late.

So if you run Main HDMI directly from the OPPO to your projector, the UHD discs play just fine -- with 4K going from the OPPO to the projector, but with SDR instead of HDR, right?

(By the way what do you have for your HDR Setting in the OPPO to get that?)

However, if you try to pass the video through the AVM 60 it gets knocked down to 1080p instead of 4K.

And using the "prior" firmware, that video through the AVM 60 also worked -- 4K/SDR instead of 1080p/SDR.

All correct?

------------------------------------

By "prior" firmware do you mean the 1229 Official firmware or a Public Beta firmware that came out between 1229 and the current 0222 Official firmware?

I still think your best bet is to work this with OPPO Tech Support. They will need the model info on your projector. OPPO has Anthem test gear in their lab, and Anthem also has OPPO players in THEIR lab so it shouldn't take too long to figure out what's going on here.

But if it is really the case that the OPPO should *NOT* be sending 4K to your projector when playing UHD discs, then you've found a bug in the current firmware which mistakenly lets that happen. As I said above, I've not looked up the specs on your projector so I don't know what it is supposed to be able to receive from UHD discs.
--Bob
All correct Bob.

My PJ has accepted a 4k signal through the Anthem since I bought it on its release date. So if its a bug it's been since release.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
All correct Bob.

My PJ has accepted a 4k signal through the Anthem since I bought it on its release date. So if its a bug it's been since release.
Your projector should certainly be capable of accepting UP-SCALED 4K video -- e.g., Blu-ray or SD-DVD up-scaled to 4K in the player for output to your display.

But so far the specs I'm finding on-line say that the two HDMI Inputs on the projector are not HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.

JVC itself is cagey. They don't actually give those details in their specs for the projector. But from the age of the projector the answer could go either way.

4K output from UHD discs requires HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. So if Main HDMI is giving that to you now when directly connected to the projector, either the specs I just found in review articles are incorrect (which happens rather often) or there's a bug in the current OPPO firmware, and 1080p output really is the highest allowed output for playing UHD discs.

OPPO Tech Support most likely has history on file for this projector since JVC projectors were also used with the prior OPPO players. So they should be able to sort this out for you.
--Bob

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Yoda Bob P is one of the best we got here on AVS & way above my pea brain.

If he suggests there is a possible prior and / or present firmware anomaly and to call oppo I would do so ASAP.

Please let us know what they say, and yes you may need to talk to a couple different techs as some know more than others just as any business.

We all are ever learning on here so let's all play nice together in this sandbox playground. Heck one day I thought I was 100% sure about something then the next day shot down with reality by another who knew exactly the correct issue and fix & that is ok because we need to learn.

I gained 30 pounds eating humble pie this year alone with 9 more months to go I may gain another 90 pounds. :eek: Riddle me this: How then will the Couch Potato ever get off the couch @ 310 lbs?? Oh wheelbarrow where art thou...

We are not playing a card game for money here so to speak, so please lay all your cards on the table preferably in the initial post including your equipment, signal path flow, and yes pics if you have them. That way you can get from point A to B faster with less stress on those trying sincerely to assist.

Then some of those that were initially trying to help you Gooddoc become frustrated and they get infractions which is so sad as I would wish the Mods would give a warning 1st...all the time.

All in all not a good day for AVS members.

So...when you learn the answer from Oppo share it here so we can know as well. Although I do not have a projector and it may not be relevant to my needs there are many others on here that do have PJ.

Good luck & Couch Potato Out for now... (until another long manufacturing dissertation spill) :eek: lol

:)

13101 - 13120 of 38992 Posts